MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patching up a gating/ducking solution - Drawmer DS201
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Patching up a gating/ducking solution - Drawmer DS201
Noha
I'm looking at a Drawmer DS201 dual noise gate, specifically for rhythmic gating effects such as those used by Richard James in Syro (CIRKLONT6A for example). However, I'm thinking that this effect would be rather easily patched in modular, especially if one is planning on using the key inputs to sequence the gating. Is something like this any more complicated than running your signal into a VCA that is being controlled by a sequenced envelope generator? It seems like a very easy patch, so I feel like I must be missing something.
jonbstevens
That's sound pretty much right. DS201 has attack, hold and release controls so triggering an envelope controlling a VCA would be the way.

If you use the audio to control the gate effect then you'd need to add an envelope follower and comparator to trigger your envelope/vca. And if you're really trying emulate the DS201 you'd want to add high and low pass filters into your detector "circuit".
BendingBus
Noha wrote:
I'm looking at a Drawmer DS201 dual noise gate, specifically for rhythmic gating effects...However, I'm thinking that this effect would be rather easily patched in modular...

Yup, you could patch it up using a VCA. The only thing to consider would be the "action" of the gate. The classic outboard compressors and gates have a certain "magical thing" beyond just the technical attack/release specs that makes them so appareling.

Digital gates really don't do it for me, they never really feel that great. Modular you might be able to do some really cool gating stuff, I've not experimented much with it. Just not sure if it would have "that thing".
Refund
using the inverted copy of the envelope coming out of (for example) your kickdrum, can provide ducking, if you put it into a vca with the signal you want to duck, and an offset
memes_33
Do a side chaining / ducking type thing like this all of the time- easy peasy!
Noha
excellent, thanks all. good point about the high and low pass filters in the detector circuit. as for the action of the gate, i feel like in modular, one would be able to recreate many types of actions based on the shape of the envelope (linear, expo etc), the response of the vca, the treatment of the key material, etc. this is why i want to do this in modular as opposed to just spending $150 and getting the original Drawmer.
b9
Trying to work this patch out in my head, Anyone got a quick run down on how this could be achieved with a maths and a qpas? additional module suggestions appreciated. Bonus for key listen functionality.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1