MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a small amp w/ tubes, reverb...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Looking for a small amp w/ tubes, reverb...
booger
I'm looking to get a practice amp. I'd prefer something with tubes and a spring reverb. The Fender Blues Jr. seems to be the cheapest option. I just thought I'd see if anyone has any other recommendations. (BTW: Trying to keep the price at <$500.)

Thanks for your input!
GovernorSilver
What is the preferred wattage?

Used is probably the best way to go for saving money. A lot of players in my area go to Atomic Music to get used amps, or they hit up pawn shops.
Tombola
I had a Blues Jr for a long time and was happy with it until I built a Princeton Reverb.

At that point - in comparison - the Blues Jr sounded super narrow and mid-range heavy.

Pedals that I liked on the Blues Jr became really inappropriate, because the Princeton has so much more bass and top than the Jr.
booger
I did some research tonight and saw the Peavey Classic 30 as a competitor to the Blues Jr. I think 15w is good enough for me. I really just want to have a dedicated amp outside of my studio to noodle around on. The Pro Jr looks like something I might be into as well but I like the sound of spring verb so I'd probably pay the extra money.
esko997
This Monoprice amp is awesome for the money. It's obviously no EVH 5150 but it is a wicked amp with a Celestion speaker and a great tone. Also, spring reverb. And not bad on the bank, its a pretty good deal IMHO.

There's a number of youtube demos on the amp, definitely check it out.

EDIT: Found a video
GovernorSilver
booger wrote:
I did some research tonight and saw the Peavey Classic 30 as a competitor to the Blues Jr. I think 15w is good enough for me. I really just want to have a dedicated amp outside of my studio to noodle around on. The Pro Jr looks like something I might be into as well but I like the sound of spring verb so I'd probably pay the extra money.

The Peavey might be worth a look. It's gotten good reviews in the past.

Ampeg used to make a competing amp in that price range too.

Don't forget to check the used amp stores and pawn shops though - some of the older amps were better-made and thus will deliver better value for the money. You probably won't find a vintage Fender Princeton or something like that for cheap but you might find a vintage Ampeg, Gibson, or other obscure brand amp for a good price.
tallhouserecordingco
Look around for a used ampeg jet ii. They reissued them a few years back. They are very underrated and can be had for very reasonable prices. Even the vintage ones go for pretty reasonable prices. Just as good as any Fender if you ask me!
Just me
Black star HT 5 might fill the bil. Usually around 250 here.
booger
Thanks for all of the advice! I found a Peavey Classic 30 in great shape for $425. My only complaint is that 30 w seems to be a little much for a basement (but I'll figure something out).
dlozanothornton
Tombola wrote:
I had a Blues Jr for a long time and was happy with it until I built a Princeton Reverb.

At that point - in comparison - the Blues Jr sounded super narrow and mid-range heavy.

Pedals that I liked on the Blues Jr became really inappropriate, because the Princeton has so much more bass and top than the Jr.

how did you build one?
Jamnuska
Yeah I know it is not tubes but I love this thing. Thr10. Looks like a tube amp...
The THR10C has a lot of blues setups but I haven't used that one.

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/am ps/thr/thr10_v2/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup
schmeer
vox ac10c1 is pretty good for the price albeit a little over your budget.
drob
No reverb, but the Vox AC4 is legit.
rbhansen
drob wrote:
No reverb, but the Vox AC4 is legit.

Oh yeah! I've got the AC4C1 in blue.
Classic vox sound and looks great too.
4W perfect for a small room.
southphillysynths
booger wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice! I found a Peavey Classic 30 in great shape for $425. My only complaint is that 30 w seems to be a little much for a basement (but I'll figure something out).

I've been playing guitar for a long time and have worked in a guitar store for 7 years. I've played everything that has come in and more...

PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 IS MY FAVORITE AMP!!! It might be a little loud for practice but you can always gig with it afterward!!

But seriously I would recommend the ac4 as well and a few other similar really small amps.

There was even a marshal 5 watt studio amp if your into that sort of thing.

The blues jr.s are great but I personally recommend the earlier versions. I don't really like the price point or construction of the rev 3.

there is also the bugera v22. I actually really like the sound of it. It sound like people do have breakdowns everyone once and a while giging hard with those amps but I'm sure if your nice to it it would be fine. Also a gig worthy amp and for a used one, great bang for your buck.

hope this helps.
gentle_attack
late 60's/early 70s silverface champ, or mustang/vibrochamp if you like bias trem

should be able to get a nice working one for $300-350, maybe add $80 for one with trem.

They hold their value and tons of people know how to service them, also sound great into bigger cabs of the Fender style, which are not hard to find. Great for recording and/or can be mic'd. Blackface and tweed ones sound great but more $$.
southphillysynths
gentle_attack

agreed a 70's silverface champ with reverb sounds beauteous! A friend of mine has one and it would be hard to beat as far as price, size, and sound.
dkbax
1 for AC4, great recording amp.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I have played a Traynor YGL1 15-W tube amp in the music store a couple times. I want to buy it for jazz guitar duties, but I haven't got around to it. Very warm sound. In Canada, it's about $650, so should be around $500 in the Untied Snakes of aMerryCow.

Lastnight I went to a mate's to jam, and I brought my little Yamaha THR10. It sounds great, it's as loud as you'll ever want, and it's about the size of a lunchbox and weighs about 5 pounds. It's so nice not to have to lug around some giant amp.
IstvanM
Try and find a Kustom 36 Coupe. Beautiful blackface sounding clean channel, direct out for recording, 6L6's, very nice fx loop. And being a sleeper, you can find them around $350-$400.
smetak
My 6w custom-made, all tube, amp - couldn't have asked for more!

Logite
If you're looking at a tube amp for <$500 and reverb you're gonna have a hard time, I'd recommend trying to find a way to save up your money so you can get something you'll enjoy using..
flokaruna
no reverb but the orange micro terror/micro dark is a great sounding amp for the money.
GUITARPLAYIGSURFER
I've owned the mustang gt-100 for a couple of months now and whilst it is not real tubes it does sound very very good. The downloadable presents are very good and there are so many possibilities for you to noodle around with. The stereo line out is also great if you are into recording. It is super loud but the headphones work well for bedroom stuff.

I understand it's not what you were specifically looking for but there my 2 cents if anyone cares.

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
sduck
I believe the OP has already bought an amp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1