MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where do you discover new music?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Where do you discover new music?
Daisuk
This has never been a problem for me, but it's starting to be. It seems like I have to wade through hours of crap to find music I actually enjoy listening to these days (probably a sign of getting older). Ideally, I'd just find a radioshow/podcast where the presenters had more or less the same taste as me, but that's not easy, it seems. So now I'm just looking for general strategies.

How do you guys find new music to check out? Randomly skip around Soundcloud? Recommendations from someone you trust (who?)? Any good radio shows? Blogs? Record store random buys? Labels you follow?
Neoconkers
If you use Spotify the discover suggestions can be quite good - its suggests based on your listening. At the moment I'm listening to Space Oddities (1975-1979) by Jean-Pierre Decerf , who I hadn't heard of until 10 minutes ago. 70's french space disco, probably because I was listening to Giorgio Moroder yesterday.

Just got to the end and I have to say it is well worth a listen.
chamomileshark
more and more it's recommendations here. That and listening to Radio 6's freak zone for the non synth type stuff.
leoxmueller
I find all my music through NTS Radio, or by researching the artists that i heard! I also have the feeling all genres are represented there:)
rastko
http://www.thelakeradio.com/ is nice
cretaceousear
chamomileshark wrote:
more and more it's recommendations here.

Yep, found some great stuff here
therk
Mostly either by poking thru the new releases on boomkat each week, or by emails from bandcamp - once you've bought a few things on there you soon end up getting plenty of spam from labels whenever they release anything new! Or via recommendations here/twitter.
VinceL
I follow several Bandcamp members whose collections reflect similar musical tastes as mine. I receive emails whenever any of those members purchase music on Bandcamp. I have discovered a lot of electronic music artists this way. Also, I follow many artists on Bandcamp and receive notifications whenever they release new music.

I am also a fan of blues (primarily modern, electric blues). The Bluesville channel on Sirius/XM radio has caused me to spend lots of money on albums by blues artists that I first heard on Bluesville. Mr. Green
zeit
Quote:
It seems like I have to wade through hours of crap to find music I actually enjoy listening to these days

I can totally relate to the OP's post, I feel pretty much the same way and it frustrates me as well. I don't think the problem is getting old but the fact that the internet just floods people with so much crap to wade through, it's become counter-productive more than anything. Because of this, what I've been doing lately, is pretty much dropping the internet as a source of finding new music and relying on one or two magazines to introduce to me new stuff. For example, I subscribed to the The Wire magazine and it's really all I need to find new stuff. I still have to read through the many articles to find something I like, but it's on a much smaller scale and I don't have deal with the computer, notifications of new email/social media crap...etc...etc....
noisejockey
I, too, have learned to love a lot of artists who are either mentioned here or who are members of this forum. I've been on Soundcloud for years and sometimes its related tracks recommendations unearth gems.

I have found that my tastes align perfectly with a few buyers at my local record store, Aquarius Records. They write insanely deep reviews on almost everything that comes in.

Music journalism still turns me on to new stuff, usually Headphone Commute and The Quietus. Haven't read a physical music magazine in over a decade.

And, finally, trading music with friends. I do hard drive swaps with my closest friends about once a year, where we turn each other on to stuff we've enjoyed recently.
healingproperties
+1 for NTS/Soundcloud...find a label/artist, then discogs/youtube scroll...increasingly my search method...though there's much to be said for friends' suggestions...also Dublab is solid, though often less revealing of tracklists
Hi5
Depends on how we define new. New to you or new as in release date.

If new to you, I've been a fan of choosing a year on Discogs, then a genre, and start going through releases for Youtube clips. A lot of garbage but then you come across something you'd never find otherwise. Been digging up incredible techno from 96-99 lately.
nienhuis47
Soundcloud artist you like > see who they are following. Also find a lot of new artists from label Bandcamp pages that my favorite artists release on.
suboptimal
Youtube surfing can lead to interesting results, too, though it's completely unstructured and inevitably corrupt on some level.
subbasshead
same as ever for me - good DJs/selectors - usually via downloads of their radio shows eg BBC: Benji B, Giles Petersen
basicbasic
I try to check out the Pitchfork 'latest tracks' section semi-regularly, and also via Youtube recommendations. Occasionally I also hear something great on a local digital radio channel too.
peanut
I sometimes get in a rut with this, but most of the methods used above yield good tunes. Plus some occasional sharing. But the best option is just to make the music you want to hear. Band hihi fap fap fap...
Zon
Boomkat, Lastfm's similar artists, discogs labels
glia
This is alien because i feel exactly the opposite (the modern world is abounding with TOO MUCH music i like) and perhaps it's a simple matter of taste...but finding new artists is definitely a hobby and i think i'm better at finding new music than making it myself hihi

To properly answer you: recommendations & research are how I find new stuff.

Usually friends, fellow artists, or labels I respect will post about music they like, or email me directly to check something out. Sometimes it takes two independent hints before I'm compelled to spend time listening/reading and forming my own opinions on the musician.

I also engage in less focused research tangents (often splintering from an individual search that I've begun in the past). Digging for tunes online is EXTREMELY rewarding for me and almost as enjoyable as searching for records by hand in the tradition of hiphop.

I'm currently trawling this site for new favourites http://kraa.sk/ after diving deep into the solo work of Jonáš Gruska. He recommended it in an interview as a resource to track the electronic scene in Slovakia.
Daisuk
Lots of good suggestions, guys! Thanks a lot! smile

I think I've gotten picky in the last few years. Or maybe it's the fact that there's so much music now, I'm impatient with most of it.

Maybe I'm just listening to too much weird electronic stuff, and should be trying out something completely different ...

Keep it coming! smile
mwvm
Neoconkers wrote:
If you use Spotify the discover suggestions can be quite good - its suggests based on your listening. At the moment I'm listening to Space Oddities (1975-1979) by Jean-Pierre Decerf , who I hadn't heard of until 10 minutes ago. 70's french space disco, probably because I was listening to Giorgio Moroder yesterday.

Just got to the end and I have to say it is well worth a listen.

Me too. Great feature.

And apple music suggests.

BBC 6music is good.

Back in the day I used to use amazon suggests but I don't buy cds anymore
ym2612
YouTube recommendations, googling through forum posts about particular genres/schools of thought, following trails of links as deeply as I can, SoundCloud feed and searches. I hear mainly "new" music (i.e. recently produced) on SoundCloud and I find "old" music through YouTube.
D_Bowman
I like finding a good distro with at least a semi-good web design (some distros just bury their releases and you can't even browse properly) and keeping up with them. Tomentosa is one that comes to mind.

My old favorite was Discriminate Music. I never know what happened to them. They just shut down one day a few years ago!
Roland Kuit
The Concertzender has the program Electronic Frequencies:

http://www.concertzender.nl/en/?s=electronic+frequencies
Grapevine on the net, friends, what/wherever.. random gigs also thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3