MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI on a Easel-K ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author MIDI on a Easel-K ?
Omnichordman
Hi fellow Easel Weasels,

today, for the first time ever (after totally enjoying my Easel-K for 6 month..) I tried to use MIDI with it.

Unfortunately there is no response whatsoever. I checked cables and interfaces but to no avail. I read the sparse info in the 200e manual about the 223e module:

Arpeggiation
An integral part of an arpegiator is a beat clock. The clock source is selected with the “clock” button. The 223e features three possible clock sources.
1) Ext – In this mode the arpegiator will step with each pulse received in the “pulse” input.
2) Int – In this mode the arpegiator will step based on eighth notes counted by the internal clock. The tempo is set with the “tempo” knob and is continuously variable from 42 to 480 BPM. An applied voltage into the “cv in” input can modulate the clock frequency.
3) MIDI – In this mode both clock LED’s are off. The arpeggiator uses the MIDI clock, internally transmitted from the 225e. The tempo knob selects the divide ratio applied to the MIDI clock. The available divisions are:
Polyphony off
a) quarter note
b) quarter note triplet c) eighth note
d) eighth note triplet
e) sixteenth note
f) sixteenth note triplet
g) thirty-second note
h) thirty-second note triplet
Each range corresponds with a light on the LED ring around the tempo knob. An applied voltage to the CV input can modulate the division.

So this didn´t help at all, and there obviously is no 225e module available in the Easel-K.
Is the MIDI-in jack on the Easel just there to not leave a blank hole in the side panel?

Anyone?
suhrawardi
Hi Omnichordman,

Did you manage to get MIDI working on the Easel K? I'm trying the same now and can't seem to get it working.

The 200e manual mentions this:
Quote:
The 223e has two computers; 223A is loaded by holding down the green “clock” button and 223M is loaded with the “remote enable” button.

But holding down one of these buttons does not seem to change anything....

Any help is greatly appreciated... :-)

Thanks,
Suhrawardi
there is no midi on the Easel K other than the jack.
wsy
3001 wrote:
there is no midi on the Easel K other than the jack.

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

Almost seems worth figuring out if MIDI comes across the I2C bus anywhere and adding / hacking in a little I2C --> 1.2V/octave + GateTrigger
board somehow, somewhere.

In fact, it looks like it's already halfway there with the Arduino MIDI I/O library.

Opinions? Anybody know what's on the Easel-K's I2C bus?

- Bill
wsy
Belay that.

There's zero actiivity on the I2C bus on a Music Easel-K during powerup, messing around with the 223e, or anything else. The bus board
has them marked but they don't seem to be used, even when I play with "remote enable".

Tracing the MIDI IN jack leads to two other jacks and no other circuitry at all on the power input board. One is a ten-pin shrouded
male jack, SV1 with pins 1 and 4 being the MIDI IN. The second is jack J3, a 0.1" two-pin with a friction lock. Either would work for an
Arduino-based MIDI hack.

So, where would one run the 1.2V/octave and Gate/Trigger on an Easel or an Easel-K? There's not a lot of space on the side panel but
it might be finagled in there... space maybe for four jack banana jacks (pitch, gate, velocity, and aftertouch?)

But MIDI OUT would be possible too on the same Arduino- MIDI control something with the 223e touchpanel. :-) On the other hand,
there's a module that does that, right?

Oh, and if you take the easy hack of putting scope probes into the vias on a Buchla bus board, be really really careful because they'll
break off the scope probe pin at the slightest provocation. very frustrating

- Bill
suhrawardi
Hmm, that's disappointing...
By providing a midi input they set certain expectations... :-)

Thanks for your help anyhow...

Suhrawardi
mutierend
So let me get this straight: there is MIDI support in the Easel but not the Easel K? Is that because the K has the 223e instead of the 218?
softroom
mutierend wrote:
So let me get this straight: there is MIDI support in the Easel but not the Easel K? Is that because the K has the 223e instead of the 218?

These things are crying out for updated documentation.
Drillionaire
mutierend wrote:

This is exactly correct. The 218e contains all the circuitry for the MIDI input (opto isolator, MCU, etc).
All MIDI functionality of the 223e is only possible with a 225e or 225m acting as an intermediate and converting the MIDI messages to 200e bus information.
wsy
Drillionaire wrote:
mutierend wrote:

This is exactly correct. The 218e contains all the circuitry for the MIDI input (opto isolator, MCU, etc).
All MIDI functionality of the 223e is only possible with a 225e or 225m acting as an intermediate and converting the MIDI messages to 200e bus information.

....unless you hack!

An Arduino is certainly capable of doing the MIDI IN functionality. Whether it can do MIDI OUT (either at the same time or alternately) is
another matter entirely.

I'm not sure where you'd lead the gate/CV/pressure out though on the bananas though. It might be possible to just send them to the
pulse/pressure/pitch jacks on the 218 with series 100K resistors, so anything else would override the MIDI IN value.

That would work, and there's plenty of space inside the boat for an arduino.

- Bill
Drillionaire
wsy wrote:
Drillionaire wrote:
mutierend wrote:

....unless you hack!

An Arduino is certainly capable of doing the MIDI IN functionality. Whether it can do MIDI OUT (either at the same time or alternately) is
another matter entirely.

I'm not sure where you'd lead the gate/CV/pressure out though on the bananas though. It might be possible to just send them to the
pulse/pressure/pitch jacks on the 218 with series 100K resistors, so anything else would override the MIDI IN value.

That would work, and there's plenty of space inside the boat for an arduino.

- Bill

An arduino would definitely be capable of generating the CVs and pulses from midi with a DAC/R2R network or PWM and a lowpass filter. Connecting those voltages to the bananas on a 218 with resistors would probably result in some summing of the voltages. It'd be a tricky mod to do with the bananas on a 223e.
ritchiedrums
hmmm..... So the cheaper Easel has MIDI & BEMI doesn't mention this for the more expensive model??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1