MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which synth is the most fun?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Which synth is the most fun?
neuroportal
There have been a myriad variations on this theme, I am well aware.

But I want to know what people find the most enjoyment just playing around with. The one that brings a smile to their face. The only caveat is that it mustn't be modular, (Semi modular is ok) and it can be used seriously also (EG, the Monotribe is awesome, but it isn't what I mean). The synth that makes you go 'Oh wow!'

So now I have asked for your opinions, then gone and restricted those opinions...smile

I don't get to have a go of a lot of differnt synths, there are none in my circle who like creating music with synths, and I am in a poor neck of the woods for nipping out and playing around with lots of kit. But things that are passing my mind are the Telemark K, Leipzig S-K, Sub 37. Full size keyboard is preferable as it could also do duty as a midi controller.
milkshake
Korg MaxiKorg/800DV

Best mono synth ever made.
Morley
I find the ARP Odyssey a lot of fun.
Ranxerox
Roland SH-101 is most fun for me, couple with a delay unit and some chemicals and get lost for hours.
thispoison
Korg 700s

I used to think they were a home organists synth when I saw them in the late 70s - quickly changed when I played with one.

Great fun.
h4ndcrafted
Bass station 2 is instant fun in the same way as the 101 is, it may not have such a characteristic filter, but it does its own thing well plus you have two Osc.
Sequencer is fun and the keyboard has a nice feeling aftertouch. Usable patches are only a few tweaks away everytime.

Best thing is you can buy it new for under £350

I wish Novation would drop a poly again, maybe a hybrid, unltranova with a analogue filter priced to please, it would be an insta buy for me. Maybe a 4 voice BS2 with fx ?
namshub
devilfish 303 :::smile)))
chamomileshark
EMS VCS3. Some people count that as modular, others don't.

If it doesn't count my original synth, a Roland SH2.
Zon
My vote goes to the Phenol, i played it once at a demo booth at a music festival. Beautiful design, lot's of knobs and patchpoints yet still simple and clear (and it sounds awesome). I ended up skipping bands to play with it and i had to fight the urge not to tuck it under my shirt and run like hell. I really hope to play with it again some day.

I would imagine the Synthi A would be alot of fun too for the same reason.
boboter
Sub 37 and (Korg) Arp Odyssey are both a lot of fun and very immediate keyboard-synths. The Sub obviously has the better keyboard. But the Odyssey is so hands-on and full of character that it would be my nr. 1 contender for a straight-up fun synth that works on its own.

If you consider getting a midi keyboard and a rack/desktop synth, you also can't go wrong with a MS20m, an Oberheim SEM or even a Vermona Perfourmer, if you like the basic concept of the latter. I sure love it a lot.
fac
I've used maybe 50 or 60 synths, so it's hard to list only one. These are the most fun to me:

- Korg Electribes ER-1 and EA-1 - I have the original ones. What they lack in sound character, they make it up in friendly-ness and fun factor. Lots of people have played full sets with only these.

- Novation Circuit - I have only had this guy for a few months but it's so fun my 2-year old loves it. It can use batteries and has an internal speaker so sometimes I bring it to restaurants and other places to entertain my kid. All the other kids leave their ipads to watch the amazing sound and color spectacle this thing does.

- Elektron Machinedrum UW - It takes a steeper learning curve and some practice, but each time I use it, it sounds like the coolest stuff ever. The UW part is essential to me, since I only use it for live sampling.

I'm currently doing sets with the MDUW and Circuit. It's so much fun and I get lost for a couple hours each time.
Slabwax
I own both a Sub 37 and a Korg Arp Odyssey. For me the the Odyssey wins, and I do really like/enjoy playing the S37. But there is something special about the Karp. I'm not a keyboard player so the smaller keys don't bother me.
xparis001
monotribe is fun.
original Nord Lead was fun.
juno 106 was fun.
another vote for the sh101 as well.
Bath House
OP-1.
fano
MS-20. Those wall shaking resonant sweeps... Like a pig squealing in agony as you slowly pull off it's skin. So much fun!
Ranxerox
fano wrote:
... Like a pig squealing in agony as you slowly pull off it's skin. So much fun!

Ewww... someone's not a vegan zombie
D_Bowman
The MS-20 in all its forms. Endless fun!
Blairio
1st choice: DSI Mopho Keyboard. Apart from having the DSI 'family' sound and multiple modulation possibilities, it has a great arpeggiator, a pretty good sequencer, and a quality keyboard action. I think this could become a modern classic. Time will tell.

2nd choice: Doepfer Dark Energy mk1. So much fun from one small box.

<edit> 2nd equal: Korg MS10. This is one huge sweet spot.
neuroportal
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

For the record, I have an MS-20 mini that I am keeping so that part is covered. I agree, nothing else sounds quite like it. The raw sounds you can get out of those filters...

At the moment, I am learning toward the Sub 37 because of the, seemingly, easy to use and useful sequencer as an added bonus. I realise the leipzig sk also has one, but it isn't as flexible.

I thought about a Karp but I really could do with something with full size keys. I like the action on the MS-20 mini keyboard, it is very playable, but normal keys...
jimmie
My vote is for KArp Odyssey. Its duphonic wins!
neuroportal
Blairio wrote:
1st choice: DSI Mopho Keyboard. Apart from having the DSI 'family' sound and multiple modulation possibilities, it has a great arpeggiator, a pretty good sequencer, and a quality keyboard action. I think this could become a modern classic. Time will tell.

2nd choice: Doepfer Dark Energy mk1. So much fun from one small box.

<edit> 2nd equal: Korg MS10. This is one huge sweet spot.

Mopho - I did look at that, the x 4 version, the MEK and even a pro 2. When I say look, I mean read articles and listened to YT vids.

Still, thinking the Sub 37 is edging the top line.
moremagic
I've never played anything like the Mono/Poly. It's always got this bizarre cleanness to it since theres so much headroom inside but it screams like mad with the various FM options
brandnewmath
Another vote for the KArp Odyssey here.
rjungemann
Boomstars! Small, straightforward, great filters, yet feature-packed. Can be polite, or can really scream (ring mod, filter FM, overdrive, feedback, etc.)
papz
No synth is more fun than a good working modified Synthi AKS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5