MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thoughts as of 2016
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Author Thoughts as of 2016
snevlida14
I just started my modular adventure at the start of the year (2016) and I tell ya SlayerBadger! , the zerosum shit looks killer. I wish I could get my hands on every module! !!!!
zerosum
Yay! thank you!!! smile I can still do most of the old stuff and have plans for new stuff. I have been buried in the day jobs for a while but i still have plans for new stuff!
what modules interest you the most?
thanks for your interest! smile
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Thought #1: So far, WAY too many dead heroes.

Thought #2: I'm bored with ideas for modules with different sounds. I think it's about time for modules that help people compose. Not just random generators or sequencers, but actual composition aids of some kind, algorithmic or something. I don't have very many definite ideas so far, but this is what I'm going to be thinking about for the next while. We need modules that will make modular music more musically interesting (to me).

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that this is a "Zerosum Inertia" thread. Oh well, those are my fuckin' thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.
snevlida14
Well I defiantly think the Erebus orifice, the haxor ,the 6550-99, the berserker are awesome. I also see buchla working it's way into my life soon ( I just love the work flow and the sounds ) so your buchla modules interest me. I love the start I have made but I became quickly interested in modules that can really make unique sounds.
zerosum
Quote:
Well I defiantly think the Erebus orifice, the haxor ,the 6550-99, the berserker are awesome.

Those are fun ones. All of those except the Haxor can also generate sound as well as process sound. The Haxor has a milder distortion than the rest, but the way it mixes 2 signals together, especially VCO's is an interesting effect. I usually put an Amplifryer in front of each input then follow it up with an Erebus Orifice at the end.
The Haxor sums 2 audio signals together with one 5725 tube,
then CV of the final output is done with a 5C3 vactrol.

I had Eric write up a document for me on the history of the 6AS6/5725 tube used in the Haxor.
The only audio product that I can think of at the moment that uses this tube is a Thermionic Culture Culture Vulture(which I would love to try out someday).

Quote:
The 6AS6 tube used in the (Haxor/mm03) was introduced in 1949 by Westinghouse. It is a "dual control pentode".

Regular pentodes have three grids: the innermost "control grid" is where the input signal goes for amplification. The other two, the "screen grid" in the middle and the "suppressor grid" outside the other two, are simply there to increase the gain of the tube (screen) and suppress secondary electrons bouncing off the plate (suppressor). That's how most pentodes work.

The 6AS6 is very different, and special. Instead of a suppressor grid, it has a second control grid. This was done for "special applications". Originally the 6AS6 was meant to be used as a balanced modulator for radio circuits, to downconvert radio signals to lower frequencies. One signal would go into one control grid and a "carrier" would go into the second control grid. Because the tube both "mixed" and modulated the two waveforms together, it could be used as a "radio style" mixer. It does two jobs at once, resulting in a unique electronic effect.

Because digital computers were starting to become a very important application for vacuum tubes, the 6AS6 was also intended to be used as a gate device in binary logic circuits. By adjusting operating voltages, it could be either a "NAND" or a "NOR" gate, by feeding the two logic levels to the two grids.

The 5725 was a "premium" version of the 6AS6, introduced by General Electric in 1950. It was used in a lot of digital computers of the era, such as the popular IBM 650.

Quote:
I also see buchla working it's way into my life soon ( I just love the work flow and the sounds ) so your buchla modules interest me.

I love the workflow and module choice/voltage levels available in the Buchla system when using these tube modules. They play together really well.
I wish the ModuleModule chassis was more readily available.
That is what is needed for the little ZIMM's to mount in a Buchla system.
I would like to build a full sized Buchla module someday, but time and other things get in the way preventing it from happening.
Let me know if you get a ModuleModule 041 chassis when you get a Buchla system smile w00t

[s]http://soundcloud.com/zi6550-99/040314-1[/s]
Ancestor
Im stoked to see the Zerosum family lives on. I had a solid row of some of the early modules before I had to sell off all my gear. Had a couple kids, wife got really sick, I had a back injury & surgery. But I started rebuilding a Dotcom system recently. I went Dotcom with every intention of adding some Zerosum in there. Euro would have been more practical with my back problems, but I just cant do it after owning MOTM and dotcom rigs.
The Amplifryers sounded so good. I had two Destructor Beams, Amplifryer, Haxor, and Agonizer at my high point. Then life had to step in... Oh well, glad everything is getting back in order and I can start checking this forum out again. Now. which module to buy first once I get some more funds together.
zerosum
Quote:
The Amplifryers sounded so good. I had two Destructor Beams, Amplifryer, Haxor, and Agonizer at my high point. Then life had to step in... Oh well,

It was a pleasure building them for you smile

Yeah life can get in the way of things..... d'oh! cry hmmm..... hihi
I haven't done much with my synth buying goals in a while, or building goals,
music has kinda been on the back burner too, but I got some inspiration again,
Just working on finding time to make it all happen.

Quote:
glad everything is getting back in order and I can start checking this forum out again.

w00t I have a cool prototype I want to get into production soon.
I can't wait to make that post! w00t w00t w00t w00t MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Quote:
Now. which module to buy first once I get some more funds together.

6550-99 Oscillator! w00t
That's my favorite.

Night night sleepy time....
snevlida14
That track with the 6550 -99 sound awesome
sbuge
Cant wait to hear those new designs SlayerBadger!
And I can totally recommend 6550 -99. It produces warm and beautiful sounds but also it screams like MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I always record the first test patch with my modules (it is something like a diary for me) - and here is the first patch with 6550-99 Dead Banana
Dotcom Sequencer/VCO & 6550-99.

Ancestor
Are just selling through the Muffs website now? I'm not quite ready to purchase, but I was browsing your site and couldn't find any other way. And Muffs is all out of your modules.
zerosum
Quote:
That track with the 6550 -99 sound awesome

Thank you! w00t love
It was fun to make. The Synth Tech 440 makes it sound *AMAZING!!!!* MY ASS IS BLEEDING It's peanut butter jelly time! applause hyper

Quote:
And I can totally recommend 6550 -99. It produces warm and beautiful sounds but also it screams like MY ASS IS BLEEDING
I always record the first test patch with my modules (it is something like a diary for me) - and here is the first patch with 6550-99 Dead Banana
Dotcom Sequencer/VCO & 6550-99.

Thank you! love I love your video and recordings you have made with it! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

Quote:
Are just selling through the Muffs website now? I'm not quite ready to purchase, but I was browsing your site and couldn't find any other way. And Muffs is all out of your modules.

Thanks for your interest. smile
I need to update my website. I'll be selling direct again. So orders will be directly placed through zerosuminertia.com and Escape From Noise can still take orders too for those across the ocean.
snevlida14
Great to hear your going to update the site and take direct orders ! Your stuff is unique and I hope ya stay around. I'm still reeling from starting my modular system at the beginning of the year, but as soon as I can get some stuff together I'm going to get some tube magic in my synth , that's for sure! cool
Kujo
Sorry if this has been covered in the past but , would you plan a eurorack format module perhaps ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Zerosum Inertia  
Page 1 of 1