MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequencers for D-1000 or D-2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Sequencers for D-1000 or D-2000
metasonix
Apart from what I've recommended to people, drop any results you get here.

Luca Covili reports:
Quote:
Hi,just for information,I asked Arturia and they said that Beatstep Pro gates are adjustable then it works fine for the D-1000.
mecanikill
Varigate works amazing with the D-1000. 4 channels of adjustable gate length, probability, delay and ratcheting.
metasonix
mecanikill wrote:
Varigate works amazing with the D-1000. 4 channels of adjustable gate length, delay and ratcheting.

Now I wonder if it fits in the panel space on the D-2000?
mecanikill
metasonix wrote:
mecanikill wrote:
Varigate works amazing with the D-1000. 4 channels of adjustable gate length, delay and ratcheting.

Now I wonder if it fits in the panel space on the D-2000?

It's 10hp.
Magma2008
I have been using a Circadian Rhythms to trigger a D-1000 and a D-2000. The CR works great with the D-1000 but it is a little more difficult to use the CR with the D-2000. I am not sure if this is because the D-2000 is a completely different monster from the D-1000 or if it's the CR. Sometimes, I wonder if I am hearing a "double triggering" when using the CR with the D-2000. This seems to be more noticeable when slowing down the CR's clock or bpm.

Luca Covili reports:
Quote:
Hi,just for information,I asked Arturia and they said that Beatstep Pro gates are adjustable then it works fine for the D-1000.

I was just thinking about this but I wish I could demo a Beatstep Pro with a D-1000 or D-2000. I also want to try out a Zuleric Repetitor from Noise Engineering, which is 8hp, but it sends out gates.
deego
Quote:
I have been using a Circadian Rhythms to trigger a D-1000 and a D-2000. The CR works great with the D-1000 but it is a little more difficult to use the CR with the D-2000. I am not sure if this is because the D-2000 is a completely different monster from the D-1000 or if it's the CR. Sometimes, I wonder if I am hearing a "double triggering" when using the CR with the D-2000. This seems to be more noticeable when slowing down the CR's clock or bpm.

I've found that if I'm externally clocking the CR with 16th clock instead of DIN the d-2000 will double trigger. I had been sequencing it with a BSP for this reason, but switched up my clocking and can confirm there isn't double triggering in the DIN mode. Granted I don't experience double triggering with the CR when it is free running, either, I don't think.

From my initial testing with the tempi, it appears to not be the best fit because of it's gate lengths and lack of really easy ways to shorten them (double trigger city).
Yes Powder
I know my Bastl Little Nerd is able to ping my R54 and S2000, I imagine it'd work with the D-1000...
metasonix
ElectricNoises wrote:
I know my Bastl Little Nerd is able to ping my R54 and S2000, I imagine it'd work with the D-1000...

I've never even seen a Bastl product.....

What a crazy business this is; new module manufacturers popping up out of the ground all over the place. I keep getting questions about Metasonix working with modules made by companies I didn't even know existed, esp. questions by email....gets a little more commonplace each year. I dunno what to tell them.
Yes Powder
Not a sequencer— but if it's at all helpful in answering such questions, I can confirm that the Bastl Tea-Kick's "Click" output makes a good converter for trigger signals that'd otherwise be too long to ping effectively.
Kujo
I use 4 midi tracks from the Octatracks midi sequencer converted through a Mutable Instruments yarns Midi to 4Trigger mode into my D-1000. works nice, having the option to adjust trigger length per track as well as the pulse wave form with the Yarns module is quite nice.
Kujo
mecanikill wrote:
Varigate works amazing with the D-1000. 4 channels of adjustable gate length, probability, delay and ratcheting.

Just acquired myself a Varigate 4 but at the shortest pulsewidth setting i'm still double triggering very frustrating
Elephantbud
Cirklon works great, you can change the length off the triggers from very short to long per step...

Little deformer 2 works great too.
mecanikill
Kujo wrote:
mecanikill wrote:

Just acquired myself a Varigate 4 but at the shortest pulsewidth setting i'm still double triggering very frustrating

Not on mine not sure what's going on for you.
Kujo
mecanikill wrote:
Kujo wrote:
mecanikill wrote:

Not on mine not sure what's going on for you.

I'll troubleshoot further but there aren't many ways to go about on the varigate 4 so i'm assuming maybe my D-1000 needs shorter triggers than on your ?
timoka
varigates shortest gate is a 20% pulsewidth...that would give double triggers on all pinging filters.
not sure why it works for one d-1000 and on another not... a 20% pulsewidth gives double triggers on mine too.

hmmm.....
Synthead
For what it's worth, the PAiA MIDI2CV8 has a mode to serve as eight drum triggers with velocity support. With this kit, you can use it with a MIDI sequencer or a DAW smile
mecanikill
I just went and checked again and no double triggers from mine on my D1000 here's a video.
https://youtu.be/kBRUhK_h_BQ
Leverkusen
mecanikill wrote:
I just went and checked again and no double triggers from mine on my D1000 here's a video.

Sounds good - does it also work like that without an external clock fed into the varigate? What is that clock in your video?
Kujo
mecanikill wrote:

dammit ! i'll make a video tomorrow and show how mine is setup then hmmm.....
Kujo

the faster the tempo is the less it is apparent but you still definitely get a double trigger.
Leverkusen
I try it again a little more clear:

In the one example the variate seems to be clocked from an external source in the other example not. I suggest that this make the difference between doubt triggers or no doubt triggers - deepening on the external clock fed in the variate.

The variate might pass through the incoming clock but have a to generous internal gate length.

Although, as always, I can't hear the difference... hmmm.....
Kujo
I got what you meant the first time around but I always get double triggers , whether it's an internal clock or fed with an external one. I also tried different clocks into the varigate and got some variations but still a double trigger.

we should check with meca if he is getting different results with internal or external clocks on the V4.
mecanikill
Not trying to sound silly but have you adjusted the trigger length on the Varigate correctly in global mode? Mine will double trigger if the slider is set past 25% open. It work on mine with or without a external clock.
Kujo
mecanikill wrote:
Not trying to sound silly but have you adjusted the trigger length on the Varigate correctly in global mode? Mine will double trigger if the slider is set past 25% open. It work on mine with or without a external clock.

in the first 10 seconds of the video I posted you can see me in global mode putting my pulsewidth all the way down which is the shortest setting. am I missing something ?
mecanikill
Kujo wrote:
mecanikill wrote:

in the first 10 seconds of the video I posted you can see me in global mode putting my pulsewidth all the way down which is the shortest setting. am I missing something ?

Sorry I didn't see I'm on my phone and couldn't see you were in global. Not sure why mines not doing it maybe Eric can answer this one.
Kujo
mecanikill wrote:
Kujo wrote:
mecanikill wrote:

Sorry I didn't see I'm on my phone and couldn't see you were in global. Not sure why mines not doing it maybe Eric can answer this one.

I also got in touch with Malekko asking if it was possible to mod the varigate to get even shorter pulsewidths as well . because it looks like a mean sequencer for it !!
Kujo
maybe one of these could help the cause : http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1616
mecanikill
It's just a code adjustment to change the length on the Varigate. Ben said a while ago he may do a firmware update that would make the slider go from nothing to a full gate tie of 100% with the slider fully open.
metasonix
Kujo wrote:

That would be perfect....
Kujo
metasonix wrote:
Kujo wrote:

Yeah that would actually be a nice solution to any D-1000 / 2000 owner, it would make any gate or trigger sequencer compatible.
timoka
the u-030 would be even better, it changes the trigger volume according to the incoming gate level, which means more dynamics!
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=559
Kujo
timoka wrote:
the u-030 would be even better, it changes the trigger volume according to the incoming gate level, which means more dynamics!

Yes one can only experiment though.

I tried sequencing with the Octatrack through an AniModule Midi Gate and it was pretty bad. It went from very short pop to double trigger within 1 increment (from shortest to 2nd shortest length setting) . The OT sequenced the D-1000 just fine with the Yarns but unfortunately not with the AniModule.

I tried tweaking the velocity but it had no effect .

Here's a short video :

My quest to find a compatible sequencer for the D-1000 is still ongoing, I don't want random triggers since i'm not a big advocate of random (such as the zularic repetitor and such) , and I take the D-1000 as a full instrument not just something I can send some triggers with from various modules like envelope generators , I need 4 tracks of straight up sequencing so I can use the D-1000 as a centerpiece. I sold my Yarns in order to look further into what is out there but so far it was the only module that translated midi well into the D-1000.

My last resort would be simply to work out the Mod for turning the Clock Out into an Input as well . But I'm not experienced in electronics so that would cost me to send it to someone who is qualified. I haven't given up yet though !
Kujo
metasonix wrote:
Kujo wrote:

what do you think would be better a fixed 5V trigger with the variable time settings (U-031 from ladik : http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1616) or the U-30 which has a fixed 1ms trigger but with level dependent on the incoming gate-level ? (U-030 http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=559)

timoka wrote:

Seems to me like the U-031 would be the better choice even though it would lack the dynamics but at least you can get the right trigger length because we don't know for sure if 1ms would be the sweet spot for the trigger . or do we ?

I ditched my Varigate because I don't want to wait for a firmware update that doesn't really seem to be in the works at the moment from Malekko, if this ever comes out then i'll go for it but at the moment i'll want to figure out if this Ladik module can be the solution to any gate sequencer hyper
Multi Grooves
[I still desperately want a D1000 or a 2000 but it's tricky for Euro (UK) based people.]

My suggestion would be ADDC402...
Smokey
Not a sequencer but I found the Tsyklon Labs Chaos Divider and the Sacrament and Sputnik expanders to bring a wide variety of useful clock/gate/triggers for the D-1000.

Plus it has a Nixie tube. hyper

While running the Chaos Divider as a frequency divider in chaos mode, I made these horrible sounds:

Kent
Behold! The Antimatter Launch Codes!

Due to the way in which the jacks and boards are mounted in the Launch Codes, one must mount it from the rear (snigger-snigger). Alas, no internal clock and that's always a bit of a drag, but seriously, i just don't get it

frankaponte
Nice video Smokey! I really enjoyed it. It's always exciting to see and hear people do something with the Chaos Divider HV that I would have never thought of.

-Frank
Kujo
The U-31 from Ladik works like a charm , tried and approved. thumbs up
hocustotem
i've been triggering the D1000 with a soundmachines drum computer. finding the drum computer easy to use, triggers with precision.
EPTC
Just an FYI - Pamela's New Workout is incredible with the D2000 but doesn't fit in the cut out slot on the case. At least on my copy, there's a small micro-connector on the side of the new Pam's that juts out just enough from the side to make it not possible to place inside the D2000. This might be fixed by resoldering the microconnector so it's not jutting out, but not sure.

I personally have Mutable Peaks in the D2000 slot as two extra drum voices and envelope for D2000 pitched drums, works great - with Pam's New Workout right next to it in a boat. But wanted to mention old Pam's Workout fits perfectly inside the D2000 but that new one (ALM-017) seems a little wide. - Make your "Pam's needs to workout more" jokes! But if others were wondering, that's what's happening with my copy.
ritchiedrums
The mfb Urzwerg Sequencer always got along well with my D-1000

Kujo
nice !

ritchiedrums wrote:
The mfb Urzwerg Sequencer always got along well with my D-1000

metasonix
thumbs up
CopperHydra
I use either Pamela's Old Workout, Ornament and Crime, or a combination of the two.
Suggestions for other modules:
Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor
Animodule's STD looks pretty juicy
Monome White Whale
Soundmachines BI1 Brain Interface Desktop (yeah this is basically a Brainwave-to-CV convertor)

Multi Grooves wrote:
[I still desperately want a D1000 or a 2000 but it's tricky for Euro (UK) based people.]

My suggestion would be ADDC402...

schneidersladen.de has the D2000 in stock as well as a good amount of other metasonix gear.
Sallad
I have the D-2000 since a month or so and really really like it. I have been experimenting with different sequencers and had some trouble with double triggers but finally found something that works great. Now I use the SSF Propagate before the inputs of D-2000 and with that I can use any sequencer. Being able to change the gate length slowly from extremely short to really long is great and varies the character of the sound a lot. It is also fun to get it to do measured double triggers on purpose. The gate length can be CV controlled too for cool variations of the drum sounds!
metasonix
Sallad wrote:
Now I use the SSF Propagate before the inputs of D-2000 and with that I can use any sequencer. Being able to change the gate length slowly from extremely short to really long is great and varies the character of the sound a lot. It is also fun to get it to do measured double triggers on purpose. The gate length can be CV controlled too for cool variations of the drum sounds!

At last, someone made the perfect driver.....http://www.steadystatefate.com/propagate
CopperHydra
Universal Drum Machine Midi Interface
https://tubbutec.de/unipulse/

This should work.
Hainbach
Beatstep Pro works, if not perfectly since it CV is too coarse:

hlmm
NI Reaktor -> Expert Sleepers ES-8 (with its own power supply) -> D-2000

[s]https://soundcloud.com/user-163194792/it-exists-2[/s]
Carl Hungus
Does anyone know of a good way to trigger the D1000 with drum pads?
I have a couple laying around and thought it might be fun to play the D1k with them.
Looking through old threads seems like a bunch of A119s was the way to go with pads in general but hopefully something more elegant has since come out. seriously, i just don't get it

I also have an old Nord Drum 1 but seems like the added midi conversion could be avoided.

Thanks guys!
EPTC
Carl Hungus wrote:
Does anyone know of a good way to trigger the D1000 with drum pads?

Best way would probably be an envelope generator/instrument interface. Try triggering the drum pads into another device, preferably one with a high hat, so the trigger is short. You could probably further attenuate that with EQ by making the the hat brighter (or spikier sounding) - Then put that outgoing audio of that device through an Envelope Generator - best use, if you have a 5U setup, would be the Dotcom Q118 Instrument Interface - https://synthesizers.com/q118.html

There, you can try the gate output, or the trigger, or the envelope, to see what triggers best - also can amplify the signal up to 100 or 1000. Note this would only be for one individual drum voice, or the master clock pattern.

I've used the Q118 to trigger the D2000 with audio of all sorts of drum sequencers and it works great like this.
Carl Hungus
Thanks for the reply. Regrettably I’m not on 5U, it’s some euro mostly in the form of Metasonix euro, and a couple utilities.
I’ll keep it in mind that I may need an amplifier to boost the piezio, thanks.
Guess it’s still the 119 as the cheapest.

Weird, really thought there’d be a module for this by now..
EPTC
Carl Hungus wrote:

Guess it’s still the 119 as the cheapest.

Whoops, sorry - Completely overlooked you mentioning that Doepfer envelope follower in your original post! Pardon most of my reply there.

Yeah, you know another way might be just taking the drum output directly into the cv input of a D1000 voice. (I believe it accepts audio as cv) Who knows, might work/filter perfectly.

Cheers, E
HypatiasAngst
To the original post, don't mean to side step the drum triggers.

This is using the Mutable Instruments Grids. works well for me!

https://soundcloud.com/anatoliasfinest/album-d1000-track3-101916-1217- am

hooray for soundcloud changes
metasonix
HypatiasAngst wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/anatoliasfinest/album-d1000-track3-101916-1217- am

What stupid techno SHOULD sound like--mock the ravers!
xthrasherx
Just from my very limited testing so far:

Iron Ether Pithoprakta- Works well in trigger mode.

Euclidean Circles- *edit* User error. Works fine on the 1ms setting.

Expert Sleepers FH-1 (Using the Octatrack as a sequencer)- Still figuring out the best settings, but they seem to be playing nice now.

Here is a clip w/ the D200 sequenced by Euclidean Circles and a TM3+TM2 drone.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/weston-woodward/d2000-test[/s]

Under midi control w/ the FH-1:
luchog
xthrasherx wrote:

Quite enjoyed that, would love to hear something like it fleshed out a bit more, adding some more layers, a la Download or DVOA.
xthrasherx
luchog wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

Quite enjoyed that, would love to hear something like it fleshed out a bit more, adding some more layers, a la Download or DVOA.

Thanks. I definitely intend to work with it (or something similar) more, especially since that was captured live and with little time on the D-2000 or Euclidean Circles. I've been very impressed with the sonic ranges of the D-2000 though. SO much still to explore w00t
ritchiedrums
KORG SQ-1 works,
but you need to find the sweet spot with the gate length
Guinness ftw!
darmklacht@gmail.com
how about the ladik midi to trigger converter with a volca beats?
metasonix
darmklacht@gmail.com wrote:
how about the ladik midi to trigger converter with a volca beats?

Ladik says "Triggers are 500us long." That's kind of short but should be okay.
sillyquestions?
Does anyone know if the beatstep pro works well with d-2000? Im so close to having the cash for it and already got the BSP.
xthrasherx
sillyquestions? wrote:
Does anyone know if the beatstep pro works well with d-2000? Im so close to having the cash for it and already got the BSP.

The BSP works well, but you need to play around with gate/trigger lengths a bit to get the most out of it. I’ve tried a few sequencers at this point, but I prefer the BSP for the xox style sequencing on the D2000 overall.
sillyquestions?
xthrasherx wrote:
sillyquestions? wrote:

The BSP works well, but you need to play around with gate/trigger lengths a bit to get the most out of it. I’ve tried a few sequencers at this point, but I prefer the BSP for the xox style sequencing on the D2000 overall.

Cool man, thanks very much. I guess it all the right voltage for the d2000?

I fucking love how this thing moves/sounds.. genuinely think he had me in mine when building it.....
sillyquestions?
xthrasherx wrote:
sillyquestions? wrote:

Oh yeah also, see for every voice? Does it have an individual out that I could plug into my desk and EQ/process?

Cheers
Sallad
Yes, the D-2000 has five individual outs for all separate sounds and one main out that runs through an additional tube. One thing I like to do is to use the individual outs and then add the main out to the mix as well.
sillyquestions?
Im back again!! hihi help

Been using the BSP lately for my sequencing for the D2000. Seems to be working fine.

I guess my question is.. Im looking to try out pamelas new workout.. But before I commit I was just wondering how different it could actually be to using my BSP? As in, is it less work to get a 'good' rhythm? Whats peoples views on pams? I know it was reccomended in the manual for working well but when saying that what does it actually mean? No double triggering? If using the pitched drums on the BSP at the moment and I go past 5 on 'Gate Length' it seems to double trigger. Sometimes it actually sounds cool.

Yeah sorry, blabbing on. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. cheers.
electronicpoison
hai my first post
does anybody know if the moog mp 201 works well with the d2000 for triggering the gates? i get the d2000 next day and i think about selling the moog mp 201 but when they fit together i let it
B.d.Frieder
metasonix
electronicpoison wrote:
does anybody know if the moog mp 201 works well with the d2000 for triggering the gates?

You are talking about this?
https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/moog-mp-201-multi-pedal-197863

It won't work at all. Not intended as a pulse sequencer. Sorry. I would recommend a Triggerman module installed in the D-2000 panel, or something external like a Beatstep Pro.
electronicpoison
hai thanks for answer iwill look for beatsteppro
here a picture of my d2000 really nice version(a little bit off topic ) but applause
electronicpoison
I m still looking for a sequencer.today i see from bastl :state of the art MIDI interface 1983.
do you think it will suite
is not the real sequencer put over the midi port....
xthrasherx
electronicpoison wrote:
I m still looking for a sequencer.today i see from bastl :state of the art MIDI interface 1983.
do you think it will suite
is not the real sequencer put over the midi port....

It may be able to, but I haven’t looked at the Bastl 1983 in depth. The key thing with any sequencer for the D2000 is the trigger length / pulse width needs to be relatively short to avoid a “double trigger.” When I was exploring midi to cv solutions I found the Expert Sleepers FH-1 was suitable but on the other hand my anaX expansion for my Gotharman Little Deformer 2 (provides 4 trigger outs) has not.

The Beatstep Pro is hard to beat for the price and is very customizable with trigger / gate lengths which allows for some nice variations on the gated noise / “cymbals”

That said I’ll be trying out the new WMD Metron trigger sequencer when it ships later this month.
electronicpoison
thanks for this answer. i buy the beatsteppro.
today i play the first time with me new d2000 and put it together with my generator from analogue solutions and it run quite good. do you think it is a good pair. if i right you could not change the gate length on the generator.
you notice i;m a beginner.
xthrasherx
Finally got around to testing out the D2000 with the new WMD Metron trigger / gate sequencer. The WMD offers a lot of ability to customize the trigger lengths, but the default setting works just fine (default is 1/12 of the clock). Lengths can be set to 1ms, 2ms, 4ms, 8ms, 1/36th clock, 1/12th clock.

Quick video with crappy filter to obscure everything because Metasonix!
ExtrasensoryPerception
Bummer...

I came here to search for this exact piece of information... would have loved to add cv control aside from triggers with a faceplate mounted module.

EPTC wrote:
Just an FYI - Pamela's New Workout is incredible with the D2000 but doesn't fit in the cut out slot on the case. At least on my copy, there's a small micro-connector on the side of the new Pam's that juts out just enough from the side to make it not possible to place inside the D2000. This might be fixed by resoldering the microconnector so it's not jutting out, but not sure.

I personally have Mutable Peaks in the D2000 slot as two extra drum voices and envelope for D2000 pitched drums, works great - with Pam's New Workout right next to it in a boat. But wanted to mention old Pam's Workout fits perfectly inside the D2000 but that new one (ALM-017) seems a little wide. - Make your "Pam's needs to workout more" jokes! But if others were wondering, that's what's happening with my copy.
EPTC
ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:
Bummer...

I came here to search for this exact piece of information... would have loved to add cv control aside from triggers with a faceplate mounted module.

Heya - Let me amend that (a couple years later) to say you can likely remove the front plate of Pam's, position the module in the faceplate slot from behind (make your jokes), and then screw the faceplate of Pam's on top.

Haven't tried this but this is how I got the RK5 LPG to fit in the open section of the faceplate. That's a really nice use of the open space, too.
Harko
I'm temporarily using a RCD with the Korg SQ-1 for sequencing the D-2000.
The SQ-1's sync output pulse seems to be working fairly good.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 4