MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

OCTARRARIUM in St. Louis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author OCTARRARIUM in St. Louis
Dofkev
Hey video wigglers, just wanted to share a project I installed last week that involves mostly the LZX.

The Octarrarium is an 8 sided room with a door. Each of the 8 walls serve as a surface for a 4:3, 9' x 12' projection.

Materials are a bunch of wood, big sheets of paper, 12 CCTV cameras, and a ton of analog video equipment.

All live video.

The Octarrarium will host various events throughout the next few months, including many sound performances, poetry readings, and an alternate reality pancake brunch. When events are not happening, the Octarrarium will be in "gallery mode" with regular hours.

Since it is 360 degrees, it is pretty difficult to document, but here it goes:

PROMO:

Construction:

With paper:

Testing:

Gallery mode:

Gear pile:

I'll post some video once we start the events.
Soy Sos
Looks so cool. Cudos on the great work
How was this financed? Were you able to hustle a grant of some kind?
Dofkev
Soy Sos wrote:
Looks so cool. Cudos on the great work
How was this financed? Were you able to hustle a grant of some kind?

Excellent question.

It was mostly financed by this organization that presents new music:
http://heardingcatscollective.org/

and partly financed by the Regional Arts Commission of St Louis where it is housed in their gallery.
goldenliustra
This is spectacular! SlayerBadger!
DSC
Intense!
Shoot some video if you can nanners
Cat-A-Tonic
Looks awesome.
Wish I could check it out in person.

I shared your event page on Facebook.
I'm from St. Louis.
So hopefully some of the people in my network will go.
Dofkev
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Looks awesome.

I'm from St. Louis.

Hey thanks. Did we live in St. Louis at the same time? I moved here about 10 years ago.
Cat-A-Tonic
Dofkev wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Looks awesome.

I'm from St. Louis.

Hey thanks. Did we live in St. Louis at the same time? I moved here about 10 years ago.

I moved to Japan about 10 years ago.
So I guess not.

I visit family there sometimes though.
ngarjuna
I also grew up in Saint Louis (lived there for about 35 years in fact); unfortunately I won't be back until May for a cousin's wedding. SL needs cool stuff like this! I shared as well for my Missouri peoples.
Cat-A-Tonic
applause wild that there are so many of us video wigglers from StL.
SH Kingston
This has been an amazing installation piece; wish I could have been to more events, but the shackles of work rule my life.

Kevin mentioned how it is basically impossible to document for obvious reasons, but what amazed me is how the presence of people affect how the Octarrarium reacts. They took alot of time to meticulously place the CCTV cameras so they basically cascade into all the different screens and projectors, causing all kinds of feedback and weird artifacting. I was lucky enough to see it before it opened, and if you held still it would hold steady, but movements cause it to change colors, echo, smear etc etc. Who knows how the masses of people at the event I attended were effecting it (that and Kevin and Chad's rigs were also running full bore). What an amazing piece.
monads
Wow! This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see some video of this in action.
Dofkev
Added promo video
f4c3v4lu3
Wonderful!

Did you have 8 separate video mixes? Or were some of the projectors replications of others?
Dofkev
f4c3v4lu3 wrote:
Wonderful!

Did you have 8 separate video mixes? Or were some of the projectors replications of others?

Hey thanks. There were 8 discrete video feeds to the projectors. Each projector had a dedicated 8 channel switcher. All 8 switchers had the same 8 feeds, giving us the ability to control what was on each screen at any given time. It's cool to have each screen display something different, but it is also very powerful to display the same image on all 8 screens. Before each of the 8 feeds were sent to the switchers, they were mixed with additional feeds.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1