MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Modules for Noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Euro Modules for Noise
MindMachine
I saw a bunch of threads on different flavors of Euro but none just about general Euro so...

EMW Arcade Noise -
I recently got an EMW Arcade Noise. Its really good. It has LFO and VCO type action. A lot of inputs for control parameters. It sounds incredible. I wondered what two would sound like cross modulated (FM'd or one as LFO) so I bought a second one. These are very inexpensive.It is a great noise source and a bizarre modifier. Panels are a little flimsy and the black faceplates suffer from bad silkscreening (falls off) so I recommend the silver ones.

Erica Synths Black Digital Noise -
After seeing ben_hex Divkid video of thing I jumped. It is a wacky noise source, great modulator and even an oddball processor. Very versatile. Erica is build better than any brand I have seen.

Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer -
Fantastic value for an odd filter/distortion module. Beautiful due to the multiple Ins and Outs. Great for dialing in feedback or using other modules in a feedback loop.

Harvestman Malgorithm -
Instant glitch, noise if you want. But with some attenuation it can be a nice tone shaper too. Also process control sources through it and use those to create strange control over tones/voices.

Geiskes Voice Recorder 2 -
Lo Fi crazy. Great for sound and good for use as a control module. I wish I had a second.

Complex (dual) oscillators also seem very capable of instant noise walls. Very cool.

Matrix Mixers - I have the Doepfer Matrix Mixer and it is an instrument unto itself when patched right. Mix audio and control sources or even patch a spring reverb back into it. Crazy.

This topic may be old, but tonight I found some new noisy appreciation for a couple of these Euros. Just curious what other Euro modules are instant noise makers.
mbauer
+1 on Plague Bearer

Doepfer A-189-1
WMD Geiger Counter
Trogotronic m669
AuralAntithesis
4MS noise swash, atoner, or pingable envelope generator.
also the synthrotek chaos nand. I like the DIY options.
FetidEye
i've designed a noise module too.
harsh and raw lunetta
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157817
EarlJemmings
mobenthey modules are suited
Folktek matter is good and harsh drone when patched right
MASF OSC03
Jupiter Storm
harvestman feedback system
Razmasynth Unknown Pleasures

There's loads more
dlozanothornton
sport modulator can be coaxed into nutty behaviour with pretty much an second module..
MindMachine
Thanks for all of the posts. Checking out Noise Swash and Jupiter Storms.

Found this... and I love it. His modules are gorgeous:

wertham
Great thread.

For Noise related modular, definitely anything from TROGOTRONICS, especially the m666, the m676 and m669

I have recently started experimenting with the ERD modules. File under weird/subtle noise and not under full-frontal violence:

http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

Martin might be known to some of you for the notorious/excellent black death synth (and its little brothere Yersinia Pestis).
EarlJemmings
Yeah, I've got ERD, SIR and Y- really looking forward to WORM (voice synth)

Great modulation sources, and I think I like my gamma better then my wogglebug!
mrcharles
I've both the Hax and GD and they will fry up anything you throw at them. I especially like the Hax... see: http://www.dwarfcraft.com/eurorack.html

But for noise... I think Ciat Lonbarde is at the top of the hill.
MindMachine
This is in Euro now too. Pretty versatile feature set, maybe more SciFi sounds than Noise:

Sounds:
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133783&sid=e8937d560f127 c78748caa267e23a1ca

http://corsynth.com/home/eurorack/c105e

toddak
Noise Swash, and the trogotronic 669 and 679 are favourites of mine. I have the table top versions though for extra tactility, and to use them in other rigs.

I thought the synthrotek dirt filter should get a mention. I have been pretty surprised at how nasty that can get.

Also, I only have two modules so far (the rest arriving this week), but the Ieaskul F. Mobenthey modules from ciat lonbarde are pretty great. Noisey in a different way, chaotic in a different way too.
toddak
wertham wrote:
Great thread.

I have recently started experimenting with the ERD modules. File under weird/subtle noise and not under full-frontal violence:

http://www.1010.co.uk/org/ERD.html

Martin might be known to some of you for the notorious/excellent black death synth (and its little brothere Yersinia Pestis).

How flexible are the ERD modules? I've got the Black Death noise synth, and really like it, but I wouldn't say it's the most flexible effect in my arsenal.
de_raaf
Foh imp
The harvestman - tyme safari mk2 +sot, great combo for noise
Some nasty fm, in that sense a modular is grear for noise, you don't really need special modules for it, more about approach in the first place, though some modules are more fitted than others, or excell more
MindMachine
de_raaf wrote:
in that sense a modular is grear for noise, you don't really need special modules for it, more about approach in the first place, though some modules are more fitted than others, or excell more

Of course you are right. I was asking more about 'shortcut' modules than techniques.

I recently bought a second EMW Arcade Noise because they can cross modulate in such weird ways in audio or control settings. Forget the game sounds. these are a bargain for whatever crazy shit you can patch.

I've also been using the EMW Noise Station's Shimmer outputs into Makenoise FxdF into Doepfer A-135-1 VC Mixer/4 VCA for Wendy Carlos harsh 'Summer' type drones from Sonic Seasonings.

Sun
mt3
Anything by Noise Engineering.
Loquelic Iteritas
Sinc Iter

Also a secret weapon:
Double Andore mk I

and FoH Sound of Shadows.
noizehack
synthrotek echo, or any pt2399 delay modules really, but the synthrotek one is cheap and comes as a kit.

bastl grandpa great sampler that can do pretty close to high fi straight play back all the way to bit crushed weird granular low fi sounds.

ryo optodist try putting your full mix through it in limiter mode with all of the knobs turned all the way up.
DickMarker
Trogotronic stuff, as has been mentioned. Noisering when cranked up to audio.

A lovely 'short-cut' module is Windy by Gotharman.
indeepp
This one is great for Noise stuff https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ieaskul-f-mobenthey-fourses
spacezignul
Wmd/Ssf Pole zero is a great sound source on its own, great harsh nasty resonance plus frequency modulation, amplitude modulation and saturation.. It gets really dirty
mmelnick
The MASF OSC03 is the sickest noise module. I have 3. Just insane ripping filth
MindMachine
spacezignul wrote:
Wmd/Ssf Pole zero is a great sound source on its own, great harsh nasty resonance plus frequency modulation, amplitude modulation and saturation.. It gets really dirty

I've been scoping that out since they were released. Need to check it out at Perfect Circuit.

I recently got the DSM 03 Feedback module. It is a weird deal. Can be a VCF, a noise source with self contained two part envelope or a feedback generator. Very useful with a matrix mixer or feedback loop. Does make decent 'drum' sounds. Ok filter. Self patched high tone noise machine. Very versatile and unique. Not expensive but not inexpensive. Takes a little bit of space. A number of control inputs. Quality build. Maybe like a clean Plague Bearer?
waveglider
Nonlinear Circuits Giant B0N0!

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-giant-b0n0.html
felixer
nice thread! some useful tips here ....
sloth713
Another vote for the Geiger Counter the wave table processing can make some truly great noise. Though not to be overlooked is any filter with unstable resonance; the WMD uHC is amazing noise maker/processor when the input level attenuator and the resonance are high. Though there are plenty of other filters with unstable resonance and fun overdrive capabilities other than the uHC (but the uHC just makes it so easy and IMHO sounds awesome)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2