MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best brands of MIJ guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Best brands of MIJ guitar
supersuper
Anyone with experience here let me know,

Have had great experiences now with Crews Maniac Sound and Combat but would like to explore wider.
Tronman
I like the Fillmore Mosrites, especially the ones that start out in Japan, but are finished by Semie Moseley's daughter, Dana, in the USA. She still hand winds the pickups on the sewing machine she used to wind them on when her father was running the business.
dmarvich
Super boring response, but I've been pleasantly surprised by most MIJ Fenders...
Medici
dmarvich wrote:
Super boring response, but I've been pleasantly surprised by most MIJ Fenders...

Everyone is really. They stopped making them in Japan because the craftsmanship was getting better than that of their American counterpart haha.
dkcg
The pro line of Gretsch guitars are made in Japan, the Electrosonics and lower lines are China I believe. Only the custom shop Gretsch models are made in the USA now. I have a 2008 Duojet made in Japan, plays beautifully, as well if not better than the US made Gibson LP signature T model I have (which cost about the same).

I really like the Musician and Artist series of Ibanez from the 80's. I had a musician as my 1st electric, didn't realize how nice a guitar it was until years after it was traded in for a Kramer Focus2000. d'oh!
oscillateur
Medici wrote:
dmarvich wrote:

Everyone is really. They stopped making them in Japan because the craftsmanship was getting better than that of their American counterpart haha.

Fender Japan didn't stop, they somehow restructured and changed the lineup but instruments are still being made. Not sure if it's the same factory or not, several have been used by Fender Japan in the past.

There are less cool models than before now, though., especially for things like offsets (Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang/Mustang Bass/etc.), but Fender Japan still makes and sells guitars.

I have two (older) instruments from them, a Mustang Bass and a Jaguar, and they're indeed great.
GraysonJames
I was going to say Pure Salem but I'm pretty sure they're actually made in korea. But yeah, I'd agree with the others who say MIJ Fenders. Just replace the electronics and you've got a guitar better than a lot of MIA Fenders.
GraysonJames
I was going to say Pure Salem but I'm pretty sure they're actually made in korea. But yeah, I'd agree with the others who say MIJ Fenders. Just replace the electronics and you've got a guitar better than a lot of MIA Fenders.
GuyaGuy
dkcg wrote:
The pro line of Gretsch guitars are made in Japan, the Electrosonics and lower lines are China I believe. Only the custom shop Gretsch models are made in the USA now. I have a 2008 Duojet made in Japan, plays beautifully, as well if not better than the US made Gibson LP signature T model I have (which cost about the same).

I really like the Musician and Artist series of Ibanez from the 80's. I had a musician as my 1st electric, didn't realize how nice a guitar it was until years after it was traded in for a Kramer Focus2000. d'oh!

+1 on Gretsch Prolines.
They're still handmade--no CNC music factory.
stk
Love the old Ibanez Gibs*n knock offs, I've had an Ibanez gold top for ~20 years love

And of course all the other "Lawsuit" copies.
strangeonlooker
There are a lotta great MIJ brands out there. A lot of them are even as good as the US guitar models they copied. Off the top of my head:

Greco
Edwards
Burny
Orville/Orville by Gibson
Aria
Univox
Yamaha
Ibanez
Morris
Yamaki

The Les Paul copies in particular can be killer good deals.
Anyway, there are just too many good brands so I'm definitely missing out more than a few that deserved to be mentioned.

Also, the ones I know about are mostly old companies that got started in the 60s and 70s. I'm sure there are new Japanese guitar companies that make quality instruments, but I've not come across many (the most recent one I know if is Bacchus, and that got started in the 90s I believe). Perhaps someone familiar with the industry in Japan can enlighten me?
JoshuaTSP
dmarvich wrote:

I'm with you. My MIJ Jazzmasters is one of the best guitars I own. Needed real JM pickups though, since it essentially was made with strat single coils in JM housing. I also put a Mustang bridge on it, because I didn't like the vintage style.
The guitar itself...the wood bits are top notch. hyper
Nidopallium
I lust after a MIJ Fender Jaguar but that will never happen if I take the plunge and build my first modular.
strat_barrett
Old HONDO stuff is great, super cheap
Metatarsals
My Fernandes Monterey Elite was better than any of the Gibson's I've owned. Only moved it on when I became a 24 fret PRS guy.

Incredibly good quality. Well priced and solid tone.

The top end Tokai's are pretty swell too!
Escapegoat
Metatarsals wrote:

Even the 'normal' MIJs are good - good enough for SRV. smile

The top-end stuff is also stellar (ESP, etc). Tends to be harder/slower to sell on though.
Metatarsals
Escapegoat wrote:
Metatarsals wrote:

Even the 'normal' MIJs are good - good enough for SRV. smile

The top-end stuff is also stellar (ESP, etc). Tends to be harder/slower to sell on though.

Tbf, I sort of assumed the mid range Tokai's would be decent, but I've not had one to try.

I did have a 1984 Japanese Fender strat for about a week. Best strat I've played, but still a strat, so it didn't last.
mateo
Anyone know of a good way to buy MIJ fenders?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1