MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[ORDER] ZeroScope, 6hp scope that's almost not even there
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author [ORDER] ZeroScope, 6hp scope that's almost not even there
metabaron24
Quote:
please measure the resistance to GND. between the 3V3 test point and GND and also between the VDDA test point and GND.


OK, that's what my multimeter schowed me: Resistance to Ground between V3.3 and VDDA test point is reliably 547 Ohm sweet Ohms +- 1 Ohm

What does it tell me though? seriously, i just don't get it

Quote:
Check the decoupling caps (C1, C9, C10, C25, C26, C31) on the +3.3V power rail to see if any have a solder bridge underneath. Its usually apparent under magnification.


I soldered under a mganifying glass and checked everything multiple times under a magnifying glass


As far as I can tell there are no solder bridges under any of the above caps.
I do have solder bridges though. From what little I can tell from schematics I thought they should not be a problem. Here's what I have:

Looks like a solder bridge between D2 and L2 and another candidate for a solder bridge are L2 and R13, another possibility between C4 and R16. IC1 and IC5 look very clean. The solder stayed where it should.

And here's something else: While soldering the 7-pin display pins, some solder flowed into two pin holes of the row of 6 below. Counted from the left that is #3 and #5.

The best news is this: I'm meeting up with my electronics friend tomorrow and he's confident that we'll sort it out. That's why I'm holding off with pictures for the moment. I'm definitely going to report back what the mistake was so that people can avoid making the same mistake.

Stay tuned
av500
if you desolder L3 you can quickly check if the short is on the 3V3 or the VDDA side, see schematics

metabaron24 wrote:
Quote:
please measure the resistance to GND. between the 3V3 test point and GND and also between the VDDA test point and GND.


OK, that's what my multimeter schowed me: Resistance to Ground between V3.3 and VDDA test point is reliably 547 Ohm sweet Ohms +- 1 Ohm

What does it tell me though? seriously, i just don't get it

Quote:
Check the decoupling caps (C1, C9, C10, C25, C26, C31) on the +3.3V power rail to see if any have a solder bridge underneath. Its usually apparent under magnification.


I soldered under a mganifying glass and checked everything multiple times under a magnifying glass


As far as I can tell there are no solder bridges under any of the above caps.
I do have solder bridges though. From what little I can tell from schematics I thought they should not be a problem. Here's what I have:

Looks like a solder bridge between D2 and L2 and another candidate for a solder bridge are L2 and R13, another possibility between C4 and R16. IC1 and IC5 look very clean. The solder stayed where it should.

And here's something else: While soldering the 7-pin display pins, some solder flowed into two pin holes of the row of 6 below. Counted from the left that is #3 and #5.

The best news is this: I'm meeting up with my electronics friend tomorrow and he's confident that we'll sort it out. That's why I'm holding off with pictures for the moment. I'm definitely going to report back what the mistake was so that people can avoid making the same mistake.

Stay tuned
metabaron24
Problem solved!! Guinness ftw!

The scope is up and running. Great little fellow it is.

The mistake was embarassingly simple. IC2 was installed with the wrong polarity d'oh! Nothing much to learn there. The good side of the coin is all the SMD soldering that I did was good enough for the thing to work. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks again for the help and advice
breadman
Hi all! Finished mine tonight and fired it up, and it's working with a few peculiarities--pressing the top encoder only toggles the module between Pong and Scope mode, rather than going to any sort of settings menu, and the module says "<AB swapped>" when I power it on. I'm also using a v1.3 board and the first time it powered up it said v1.3, but now the firmware says v1.2. Inputs seem to work though. Anyone have an idea what's going on here?
batchas
breadman wrote:
and the module says "<AB swapped>" when I power it on.

Does it not mean something is mounted reverse? It's a question, i have no idea, just the terms "AB swapped" which catched my attention (hardware)
Or is it "swap" like swapping variables in C++? (software/firmware)
More likely firmware.
av500
seems like the lower encoder button is permanently pressed. check the solder pads of this encoder and the 10 pin header for a short to ground. sometimes the solder mask can get scratched and if you have too much solder on the pad it can short to ground.
breadman
av500 wrote:
seems like the lower encoder button is permanently pressed. check the solder pads of this encoder and the 10 pin header for a short to ground. sometimes the solder mask can get scratched and if you have too much solder on the pad it can short to ground.


Thanks for the tip, found a joint shorted to ground and cleaned it up. Working great now!
av500
applause
batchas
breadman wrote:
Thanks for the tip, found a joint shorted to ground and cleaned it up. Working great now!

Always looks very simple once we found out thumbs up
cannonball swandive
Is this project open source?
av500
no
Chopper
A bit of a long shot, but how difficult/possible would it be to have a video out from this module?
av500
it would take a lot. the CPU in the scope is tiny and cannot handle video out. so you would need to design some kind of add-on that grabs the display data going to the OLED and converts that into some analog or digital video signal.
OB1
Do you still have the PCB kits available?
av500
OB1 wrote:
Do you still have the PCB kits available?


yup (please use email for orders)
OB1
Awesome thanks, will do on payday ;-)
MakingSoundMachines
pppier wrote:


We can confirm that this happens when the display has the other (wrong = SH1106) chipset. Don't ask how we found out cool

Anyway we swapped the display for one with the correct chipset (SSD1306) and our build works perfectly now.

So beware if you have displays left over from your o_C build, like in our case, it might not be one with the correct chipset for zeroscope! Better test before you solder Dead Banana

Edit: Link to display that worked for us
av500
even if they worked, cutting them down to size is not easy wink
adderbrew
This project looks awesome and I'm excited to build it. That being said, it appears that several of the parts from the Mouser cart are on backorder. What other sites would people recommend for me to order from? I'm fine with larger quantities, as I would like to start building more modules.
av500
adderbrew wrote:
This project looks awesome and I'm excited to build it. That being said, it appears that several of the parts from the Mouser cart are on backorder. What other sites would people recommend for me to order from? I'm fine with larger quantities, as I would like to start building more modules.


thanks for the praise smile

as for the Mouser cart, sadly I cannot make one that says buy a generic 100k 0805 resistor, so they are always tied to a certain manufacturer and these come and go out of stock. I just looked at the cart and all parts are available from Mouser if you pick a different manufacturer. I will try to update the cart when I get back home.
adderbrew
av500 wrote:
adderbrew wrote:
This project looks awesome and I'm excited to build it. That being said, it appears that several of the parts from the Mouser cart are on backorder. What other sites would people recommend for me to order from? I'm fine with larger quantities, as I would like to start building more modules.


thanks for the praise smile

as for the Mouser cart, sadly I cannot make one that says buy a generic 100k 0805 resistor, so they are always tied to a certain manufacturer and these come and go out of stock. I just looked at the cart and all parts are available from Mouser if you pick a different manufacturer. I will try to update the cart when I get back home.


You are a saint, thank you smile Checking out your other work now!
av500
ok, mouser cart updated
Luap
I see some mutterings over in the eurocrack forum about a v1.6 firmware update?
Does updating require a programmer of some description? If so then i'll probably make do without, but if theres no special tools or rocket science involved to update then i'd give it a go Guinness ftw!
av500
Luap wrote:
I see some mutterings over in the eurocrack forum about a v1.6 firmware update?
Does updating require a programmer of some description? If so then i'll probably make do without, but if theres no special tools or rocket science involved to update then i'd give it a go Guinness ftw!


it depends on what firmware you have. new firmwares since 1.5 have a bootloader and allow SW updates via a WAV file. for older ones you would need an STLINK programmer. see the manual here about how to perform the update via WAV:

https://vpme.de/zeroscope/
av500
for updates via STLINK, see the guide here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByXqLcOF-aBUdDBNMWNqejdRRXM?us p=sharing

and use the file zs_combo_v1.6.bin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 15 of 17
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group