MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY 4ms SMR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author DIY 4ms SMR
av500
n167tx wrote:
i Am 90% of the first layer.
Its a big ASS project, really fun though. But still Flashing the STM is what worries me the most.
Do i have to populate all the hardware before flashing ?


you don't, all you need is to power the CPU and make sure it comes out of reset and boots into the proper mode. and of course a working JTAG/SWD connection. see the Euclid PCB, I solder only the STM32, the BOOT0 pulldown and a bypass cap, then I flash the firmware using a needle pin jig...
n167tx
Its true. i remember.
smile
Altitude909
n167tx wrote:
i Am 90% of the first layer.
Its a big ASS project, really fun though. But still Flashing the STM is what worries me the most.
Do i have to populate all the hardware before flashing ?


like av500 said, just the uC and related power stuff. Keep in mind that this is SWD only so if you are using a STlink, you need to make an adapter for the 16pin JTAG header.

For the environment, just follow Dan's instructions on Git, I didnt have any issues getting it going on windows 10
webboy
Stab Frenzy wrote:
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..


There are a very large number of very small 0603-sized unlabelled parts that can be put in the wrong place...

My PCB arrived today and I have to admit I'm intimidated.


It's like a heavily populated continent.
spotta
This will takeover from the Klee as the new DIY rites of passage!



we'll need an Onion emoticon lol
AlanP
Whoever laid that board out in the first place is bloody amazing at the art.
n167tx
[/quote]
like av500 said, just the uC and related power stuff. Keep in mind that this is SWD only so if you are using a STlink, you need to make an adapter for the 16pin JTAG header.

For the environment, just follow Dan's instructions on Git, I didnt have any issues getting it going on windows 10[/quote]

Yes, i guess it will be fine with Stlink Utility on Windows. I already installed Windows on mac. That was the hardest part.
livefreela
if i recall correctly, i compiled & flashed mine via the ever handy mutable vm - may save some OS X users a bootcamp install...
moogasm
The PLP5-2-350 datasheet shows the flange diameter as 5mm. Looking at a picture of the front panel the diameter looks closer to 3mm. What am I missing? Maybe it is the VCC LFB035CTP?
Altitude909
moogasm wrote:
The PLP5-2-350 datasheet shows the flange diameter as 5mm. Looking at a picture of the front panel the diameter looks closer to 3mm. What am I missing? Maybe it is the VCC LFB035CTP?


Crap. Linked the wrong ones, they need to be PLP2

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bivar/PLP2-350/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuu2qE GwSNRoI7NaoVtmgDB4Ovik%2fQ6PE4%3d
d.simon
AlanP wrote:
Whoever laid that board out in the first place is bloody amazing at the art.


I've studied it quite a bit. mostly instrumentation logic for MCU interfaces, but a lot of it (as evidenced by the front panel)

there's several power sections (incl. one (IC10) dedicated to the LED's, one (IC7) dedicated to the codec ), and a recom DC-DC converter

the analog side of the codec section has a separate agnd with one single tie point to the digital ground.(two pads near IC7 in upper right)


There's a lot dedicated to the led ring and channel leds -
26 rdb CA leds,
3*26=78 1k resistors
5 PCA9685 16-channel pwm controllers
power section (lower left incl. IC10)

for layout, the PCA9685's are spread around the outside perimiter of the led ring (led ring on the back side, ics on the front side)
the 1k current limiting resistors are generally placed close to the PCA9685's

one thing I'd like to do is convert that section to addressable leds

I made 2 daughterboards based on that section - instead of lay out around the perimeter, I stacked the components on another board.


av500
d.simon wrote:

one thing I'd like to do is convert that section to addressable leds


the first thing I did after git clone was to open the schematics in Eagle and delete all the PCA9685 and the resistors around them smile
n167tx
Its a start smile

I flashed it succesfully with STLinkV2, following Dans instructions on Github, but everytime i unplug it, i have this lights and have to flash it again.

Soon i will start the 7000 page Unsuccesful build thread.

[/img]
Altitude909
everyone figure out the onion thing?
mush
On | On . Describes the kind of switch. Could be on | off | on...
webboy
Altitude909 wrote:
everyone figure out the onion thing?


waah - Cause this is what happens Larry! When you try to build an SMR!
HipDestroyer
Any updates from the pioneer builders? How's it going?
bennelong.bicyclist
dalhasumai wrote:
Email from Dan (4MS) about SMR DIY :

"Hi Théo,
Thank you, yes I've gotten a few queries about the SMR hardware license, and realized I just posted the eagle files without a license, which was an oversight. My intent was to give people the information they need to build and modify their own SMR and also be a reference for people developing new projects. I haven't read all the messages and links in the MW thread, but at first glance it looks awesome what you guys are doing. In general I do want people to be able to build their own SMR by using the files I posted to make PCBs, source the parts, and figure out how to assemble it.

Im considering the CC BY-NC-SA license, but I am hesitating only because I want to make sure it doesn't prohibit such things as a group of people paying equally for a run of PCBs, or a group purchase of parts (which is what I see you guys doing!) I do want some sort of restriction on commercial use for a few reasons, one of which is that I don't want to see fully built cloned SMRs competing with the original 4ms SMRs in the marketplace.

Also, you mention that you'd like to prevent the DIY builds from being mixed up with the 4ms factory builds, which is great. I might suggest changing/adding the text on the silkscreen layer of the PCB, perhaps around where the PCB version is printed.

In any case, if you have any experience or knowledge of licensing that means DIY=OK but $$$=NO please let me know!
thanks
Dan"

smile


I notice that someone who goes by the name of "PCB Pusherman" on Facebook (see https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677419455833872/ ) and "BARE BONES" here on MW (see https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2111537#2111537 ) is offering a "group-buy" of 4ms SMRF PCBs - see [redacted] and scroll right to see the 4ms column).

Such an arrangement is not permitted under the CC BY-NC-SA license under which Dan Green has made the SMRF PCB files available. The NC (NonCommercial) clause of that license states:

Quote:
"NonCommercial means not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation."


Therefore, if any money is changing hands, even if it is only to cover costs, and even if no profit is being made by anyone, such use is not allowed under the terms of the CC BY-NC-SA license. You can order PCBs for your own personal use, you can give them away for free, but as soon as you provide PCBs to others in exchange for a payment, it is commercial use under the terms of this license and is not permitted by it.

It is worth pointing out that this also applies to selling built modules to others, not just PCBs, because the built module incorporates the PCB. Thus, building 4ms SMR modules on commission or otherwise for sale to others is not permitted by the license. You can build them for your own use, but you can't sell them (not even "second hand"). You can, however, give them away.
mush
Dan has been giving his blessing to the group buy. This is also mentioned in the quote from Dan in your very own message... Stop being world police on behalf of others, please...
bennelong.bicyclist
mush wrote:
Dan has been giving his blessing to the group buy. Stop being world police on behalf of others, please...


Where has this blessing been given?

In any case, I'm not policing anyone's use of the 4ms PCB files, I am just pointing out what the CC BY-NC-SA license says and the implications of that wording. It is up to the copyright holder (Dan Green) to police whether the PCB files are being used in accordance with the CC BY-NS-SA licence under which they were released..
mush
[quote="bennelong.bicyclist"]
dalhasumai wrote:
Email from Dan (4MS) about SMR DIY :
...
Im considering the CC BY-NC-SA license, but I am hesitating only because I want to make sure it doesn't prohibit such things as a group of people paying equally for a run of PCBs, or a group purchase of parts (which is what I see you guys doing!) I do want some sort of restriction on commercial use for a few reasons, one of which is that I don't want to see fully built cloned SMRs competing with the original 4ms SMRs in the marketplace.
ot even "second hand"). You can, however, give them away.


As well as personal messages to a handful of the group buyers.
bennelong.bicyclist
[quote="mush"]
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
dalhasumai wrote:
Email from Dan (4MS) about SMR DIY :
...
Im considering the CC BY-NC-SA license, but I am hesitating only because I want to make sure it doesn't prohibit such things as a group of people paying equally for a run of PCBs, or a group purchase of parts (which is what I see you guys doing!) I do want some sort of restriction on commercial use for a few reasons, one of which is that I don't want to see fully built cloned SMRs competing with the original 4ms SMRs in the marketplace.
ot even "second hand"). You can, however, give them away.


As well as personal messages to a handful of the group buyers.


OK, I'm just pointing out that such group buys are not compliant with the wording of the CC BY-NC-SA license. If Dan Green has provided written approval of such group-buys, then you can choose to construe that as a relaxation of the CC BY-NC-SA provisions if you wish.

But my original point stands: group-buys in which money changes hands are not compliant with CC BY-NC-SA licensing - I have edited my post above to make that clear.
Crashlander42
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
But my original point stands: group-buys in which money changes hands are not compliant with CC BY-NC-SA licensing - I have edited my post above to make that clear.


Where are these group buys where money DOESN'T change hands? Am I missing out on free PCBs somewhere?!

If you looked at the prices you'll see this isn't exactly a for-profit group buy. I fail to see how this is considered commercial. This is people pooling money to do a run of PCBs.

This group buy was the REASON Dan was contacted, and he's given it his blessing. Just as Oliver has said he doesn't care about group buys of his PCBs as long as they're not passed off as commercial versions.
bennelong.bicyclist
Crashlander42 wrote:
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
But my original point stands: group-buys in which money changes hands are not compliant with CC BY-NC-SA licensing - I have edited my post above to make that clear.


Where are these group buys where money DOESN'T change hands? Am I missing out on free PCBs somewhere?!

If you looked at the prices you'll see this isn't exactly a for-profit group buy. I fail to see how this is considered commercial. This is people pooling money to do a run of PCBs.

This group buy was the REASON Dan was contacted, and he's given it his blessing. Just as Oliver has said he doesn't care about group buys of his PCBs as long as they're not passed off as commercial versions.


That's fine, and I am not the slightest bit worried by group-buys of 4ms or MI PCBs - that's Dan Green's and Oliver Gillet's business, nothing to do with me. Nor am I concerned in any way by people doing DIY builds of the 4ms SMRF, or Mutable designs, or any other open-source design - if that was not intended, then the designs would not have been open-sourced in the first place. And besides, I've done plenty of such builds myself.

I am just pointing out that group-buys in which money changes hands (and yes, that's all group-buys, by definition), regardless of whether it is done at-cost, for-profit, or for-loss, are not a permitted use under the terms of the CC BY-NC-SA license.
av500
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:

OK, I'm just pointing out that such group buys are not compliant with the wording of the CC BY-NC-SA license.


CC BY-NC-SA states: "A commercial use is one primarily intended for commercial advantage or monetary compensation."

the FAQ states: "This is intended to capture the intention of the NC-using community without placing detailed restrictions that are either too broad or too narrow" and further: "The inclusion of “primarily” in the definition recognizes that no activity is completely disconnected from commercial activity; it is only the primary purpose of the reuse that needs to be considered."

(bold emphasis mine)

so BY-NC-SA prohibiting a group buy is not a given to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group