DIY 4ms SMR

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

markelm
Learning to Wiggle

Just finished mine!

Post by markelm » Mon May 27, 2019 11:28 am

Just finished mine! Thanks to everyone, reading this thread was very useful!

Does anybody know if the module needs any kind of calibration?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nosamiam
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Order

Post by nosamiam » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:05 am

rthorntn wrote:
Has anyone just done say all 114 of the 1K resistors one after the other and then moved on to all of another value?

Any other tips?
I haven't looked at the docs yet (I'm at work) so I don't know this particular build but I've done quite a bit of SMD modules.

Like danielanez is doing, the smartest way to go if you have the patience is to solder the power components first. Make sure nothing is smoking or getting too hot. I like to cycle it on for just a second or two and then back off first with good lighting and check for smoke/bad smell. You can sometimes save components if you can catch a fault before something fails. If everything passes the on-off test, check voltages with DMM.

Then solder the SMT and whatever header is required to load the firmware. That way you can make sure the SMT is properly aligned and working properly before you add a bunch of components around it that make it hard to mess around with.

Once that is done you can add other ICs for the same reason: it's hard to realign them if the board has a bunch of other parts. Again, use the DMM to check supply voltages.

Then follow up with all the remaining resistors, caps, diodes, etc. At this point I will sometimes also solder maybe the output jack and a pot or two to try and test basic functionality. Depends on the module; sometimes you can do this, sometimes you can't. But you don't want to load up all the jacks, pots, and LEDs and then find out it doesn't work. It's a lot harder to inspect, troubleshoot, and desolder with all that stuff populated. But sometimes you don't have much choice.

That's my basic order of operations

Return to “Music Tech DIY”