MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY 4ms SMR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author DIY 4ms SMR
dalhasumai
picture of the lightpipes
https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12472824_10 156734314995083_2075508580532373143_n.jpg?oh=7de38c7c8079f5262422f2847 aed9ed2&oe=577BC396
dalhasumai
Apparently those pots should be good cheap replacement for the trimmers (also good for many mutable builds) http://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/100Pcs-10K-103-Ohm-B-Type-Linea r-18mm-Shaft-Rotary-Potentiometer-Trimmer-Variable-Resistor/808638_326 24428063.html
Dogma
that looks like a reflow oven job...is that what most people are doing?
dalhasumai
I'm only using my iron and some flux at the moment on some mutable builds
d.simon
Dogma wrote:
that looks like a reflow oven job...is that what most people are doing?

I haven't gotten into reflow ovens yet. I'm thinking of getting a hot air station. My friend has a special dispenser for (flux?) or maybe solder. (instead of using a stencil).

with hot air station, I think you don't have to place all the parts. not so sure on ovens?

also I'm pretty sure I'm going to need hotair at some point for any rework.
d.simon
another thing I'd like to get is some soldering tweezers.
but at the same time I'm trying to avoid buying too much equipment
dalhasumai
someone shared an in-progress mouser cart :
https://www.mouser.fr/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=0a9e0 3c5ea

missing :
* jacks
* pots
* mom switches
* submini spdt
* rotary encoder
HipDestroyer
deleted.
dalhasumai
yes, thanks smile
HipDestroyer
Does anyone know what the deal is with the spdt mini switch??? The Eagle BOM says:

SLOWFAST-SW submini-3T SPDTT SPDT-SUB SPDT Switch

hmmm.....
HipDestroyer
I changed the stm to STM32F427ZGT6 in the cart
webboy
I'm damn near positive the "official" SMR toggle switches are E-switch 200 series. I don't know *exactly* which ones, but the MSP-1 (on-none-on) and MSP-3 (on-off-on) look like the right models. The red plastic bodies look identical to the SMR side photos.

If someone can confirm, or if they want to sort out the exact model from the datasheet, please do!

datasheet - https://www.e-switch.com/system/asset/product_line/data_sheet/131/200. pdf

Photo of SMR switches -

Photo of E-switch 200 series toggle switch (wrong terminations in this pic, they should be solder pins)-

dalhasumai
looks good ! smile
webboy
HipDestroyer wrote:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the spdt mini switch??? The Eagle BOM says:

SLOWFAST-SW submini-3T SPDTT SPDT-SUB SPDT Switch

hmmm.....

Those are the on|on and on|off|on switches marked on the PCB. The submini-2T (x5) and submini-3T (x1) respectively.

SPDT = Single Pole Dual Throw (Toggle)
webboy
dalhasumai wrote:
looks good ! smile

I just noticed you can even see the side clip if you look very closely in the shadow of the SMR photo. I'm sure now. wink
webboy
Jacks are thonkiconns - next.
webboy
Pots are also easy. Song Huei "Tall trimmers" at Thonk. Also from the Thonk product page:

Quote:
These are direct drop in replacements for the common Alpha 9mm vertical trimmers and metal shafted potentiometers. They are also directly compatible with many other 9mm pot footprints from Bourns, Panasonic and others, see the datasheet for footprint details.

These pots are more ergonomic due to the longer shaft and they are easier to read than the competitive offerings due to the white marker line. These pots also have a 15,000 cycle lifespan compared to the Alpha 9mm pot 10,000 cycle lifespan.

Note also that a BOM generated from the SMR in Eagle says "POT-9MM-SONGHUEI"
Bamboombaps
EDIT: thanks! cool
webboy
So all that is left is the encoder. Only detail the Eagle file provides is that it's "12mm." Given that there are 20 LEDs, I will assume that we need a 20PPR encoder. I'll bet the Bourns PEC11L series is the correct one. I have some PEC11Rs at home, so I will check if the footprint is the same in the PEC11L and if so, I can try to snap in into my PCB. wink Bourns PEC*11* series are 11mm, but I bet it fits. wink
HipDestroyer
Great job!!! I'll update the cart tomorrow and we should be set after scrutinizing the whole thing an extra time wink
webboy
webboy wrote:
So all that is left is the encoder. Only detail the Eagle file provides is that it's "12mm." Given that there are 20 LEDs, I will assume that we need a 20PPR encoder. I'll bet the Bourns PEC11L series is the correct one. I have some PEC11Rs at home, so I will check if the footprint is the same in the PEC11L and if so, I can try to snap in into my PCB. wink Bourns PEC*11* series are 11mm, but I bet it fits. wink

OK, so the Bourns PEC11 series will fit if you modify the board clips. They are slightly too wide for the holes. Should be easy to compare the Bourns PEC11 footprint from the datasheet to an alternative and find one that fits out of the box. (I recently went through this on another build, so I'm confident it's no big deal.) The clips could just be made to fit somehow, which shouldn't be so difficult, or simply cut off *carefully at board level* and soldered in place. I only say that because some may already have 20PPR + push Bourns encoders which they could easily make use of on an SMR.

Thonkiconns I already knew were correct, but I had one in hand so I just popped it in the PCB to be 101% sure.
webboy
Last one for tonight. The Res (Q) pot (front panel name) marked "QVAL" on the PCB says "Song Huei 9MM" in the Eagle - generated BOM I made, but in Eagle Layout view it has a D-shaped shaft, so note that while the rest of the 4 pots are naked, plastic shafts with markers (the Thonk "tall trimmer" style,) that one is a D-shaft meant to wear a knob. The pots values are another thing to sort, but that info is in the schematic - easy peasy.
Altitude909
here, I'll make it simple for you guys:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZZHWehme2FW-1Q7Ejh6tmEdEOUJmtK FYelXFs8AUCyM/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I used for my build

The only issue is the 47 uF parts are the wrong size
webboy
Altitude909 wrote:
here, I'll make it simple for you guys:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZZHWehme2FW-1Q7Ejh6tmEdEOUJmtK FYelXFs8AUCyM/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I used for my build

The only issue is the 47 uF parts are the wrong size

Thanks Detroit homie! Rockin' Banana!
dalhasumai
Altitude909
thanks a lot !
and thanks everybody, let's build smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 2 of 10