DIY 4ms SMR

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Post Reply
User avatar
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by bennelong.bicyclist » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:57 pm

adam wrote:insula asked dan if he had the files and he put them up on a whim
I think that we need to hear what the copyright holder himself has to say, rather than relying on inferred intentions. The source code was certainly not published on GitHub on a whim - it is carefully documented - and the hardware files are in the same repository.

User avatar
cane creek
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 am
Location: Middlesbrough UK

Post by cane creek » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:52 am

Image

User avatar
insula
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 am
Location: @Madrid

Post by insula » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:27 am

cane creek wrote:Image
I was talking with dan at the last "modular day" at barcelona, also about the idea of build one by myself. Very kind guy, also warned me about be careful with the RGB leds... :yay: :yay:

I think is is you are able to built a module, you should do it if you have all the info available, in the other hand a different thing is trying to build DIY modules for sale.

There is a open thread about MI DIY modules, i don't find the like right now ...

:tu:

User avatar
dalhasumai
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 8:32 am
Location: Lyon / France

Post by dalhasumai » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 am

I've emailed him. I'll post his response

User avatar
dalhasumai
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 8:32 am
Location: Lyon / France

Post by dalhasumai » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Email from Dan (4MS) about SMR DIY :

"Hi Théo,
Thank you, yes I've gotten a few queries about the SMR hardware license, and realized I just posted the eagle files without a license, which was an oversight. My intent was to give people the information they need to build and modify their own SMR and also be a reference for people developing new projects. I haven't read all the messages and links in the MW thread, but at first glance it looks awesome what you guys are doing. In general I do want people to be able to build their own SMR by using the files I posted to make PCBs, source the parts, and figure out how to assemble it.

Im considering the CC BY-NC-SA license, but I am hesitating only because I want to make sure it doesn't prohibit such things as a group of people paying equally for a run of PCBs, or a group purchase of parts (which is what I see you guys doing!) I do want some sort of restriction on commercial use for a few reasons, one of which is that I don't want to see fully built cloned SMRs competing with the original 4ms SMRs in the marketplace.

Also, you mention that you'd like to prevent the DIY builds from being mixed up with the 4ms factory builds, which is great. I might suggest changing/adding the text on the silkscreen layer of the PCB, perhaps around where the PCB version is printed.

In any case, if you have any experience or knowledge of licensing that means DIY=OK but $$$=NO please let me know!
thanks
Dan"

:)

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3201
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:50 pm

shocker :roll:

User avatar
The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Fantastic, but I absolutely stand by the assertion that you can't just assume that someone is willing to give away their intellectual property for nothing, and acting on that assumption without confirmation is unquestionably unethical.

webboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Location: Sweden

Post by webboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:06 pm

The_Crooked_Man wrote:Fantastic, but I absolutely stand by the assertion that you can't just assume that someone is willing to give away their intellectual property for nothing, and acting on that assumption without confirmation is unquestionably unethical.
Wonderful, just wonderful to have your opinion so forcefully stated. Thanks for that.

webboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Location: Sweden

Post by webboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Altitude909 wrote:shocker :roll:
:doh:

User avatar
cane creek
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 am
Location: Middlesbrough UK

Post by cane creek » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:26 pm

The_Crooked_Man wrote:Fantastic, but I absolutely stand by the assertion that you can't just assume that someone is willing to give away their intellectual property for nothing, and acting on that assumption without confirmation is unquestionably unethical.
The thing that was puzzling the DIY community was why was all the relevant information uploaded onto Github by 4ms if they didn't want people to build it.

anyway we have to go ahead now :banana:

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3201
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:48 pm

and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..

User avatar
d.simon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 pm
Location: San Diego

Post by d.simon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:48 pm

ok now the q is DLD ? Since its a collaborative design I'm wondering if it will be released the same way. Maybe not, as I'm not sure if the platform would be as great for FW dev. But OTOH DLD would be great for developing other types of wierd loopers.

User avatar
The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 pm

webboy wrote:Wonderful, just wonderful to have your opinion so forcefully stated. Thanks for that.
And thank you for being a condescending little shit when I was not stating my opinion, but laying down the law of literally EVERY land on the planet, and particularly here on Muffs, to try to at least give people some pause. You've been a member of this community for all of three months so you have literally ZERO frame of reference on this subject. Go back and read some threads on Blue Lantern Modules. This shit matters.

User avatar
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by bennelong.bicyclist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 am

Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
There are a very large number of very small 0603-sized unlabelled parts that can be put in the wrong place...

User avatar
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by bennelong.bicyclist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:34 am

The_Crooked_Man wrote:Fantastic, but I absolutely stand by the assertion that you can't just assume that someone is willing to give away their intellectual property for nothing, and acting on that assumption without confirmation is unquestionably unethical.
Open-source licensing does not involve anyone giving away their intellectual property - they just license it in a way that permits others to use it. The original authors (in this case Dan Green/4ms) still own the content and hold the copyright to it - none of those rights are in any way given away.

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:15 am

bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
There are a very large number of very small 0603-sized unlabelled parts that can be put in the wrong place...
through-hole-SMR anybody? :hihi:

webboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Location: Sweden

Post by webboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:11 am

Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
I might make my second SMD build ever an SMR just to rub that comment on your face. :p

webboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Location: Sweden

Post by webboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:20 am

The_Crooked_Man wrote:
webboy wrote:Wonderful, just wonderful to have your opinion so forcefully stated. Thanks for that.
And thank you for being a condescending little shit when I was not stating my opinion, but laying down the law of literally EVERY land on the planet, and particularly here on Muffs, to try to at least give people some pause. You've been a member of this community for all of three months so you have literally ZERO frame of reference on this subject. Go back and read some threads on Blue Lantern Modules. This shit matters.
That's exactly what I meant, keep on showing your true colors. "Laying down the law?" I want to puke right now. You don't know me, and I'm not at all insulted by your elitist "I've got more posts than you in the community" atitude. You just look like more of an ass the more you say. You have no clue how many people I've helped and in what capacity. The "community" doesn't end at the borders of this forum. You're opinion on IP and open source is yours, and I don't share it. It's not the law, stop deluding yourself. And saying I have "ZERO" frame of reference is quite an assumption. As if this doesn't come up outside of Muffwiggler. That's funny- again, stop assuming you know me.

One last thing- I'm not here to get all worked up and argue, so my apologies in general if I've annoyed anyone. I just have a difficult time being told what is right or wrong. It's a character flaw of mine that I can't just shut my mouth and let it be sometimes. I'm done. Insult away.

User avatar
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:54 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by bennelong.bicyclist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 am

webboy wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
I might make my second SMD build ever an SMR just to rub that comment on your face. :p
I suspect @Altitude909 will quite correctly remind you of that if/when you ask for help (he's one of the few people to have successfully DIYed one of these things so far).

User avatar
livefreela
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 am
Location: The Dust Farm

Post by livefreela » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:15 am

good luck with that one... altitude and i speak from experience in saying this thing is a pain in the ass to build with zero margin for error. no better way to approach it than out of a solid grudge - especially one of the very small handful of people with experience in successfully building this thing to cry to when you inevitably fuck it up.

edit: bannelong - you beat me to the punch.
webboy wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
I might make my second SMD build ever an SMR just to rub that comment on your face. :p

webboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Location: Sweden

Post by webboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:44 am

livefreela wrote:good luck with that one... altitude and i speak from experience in saying this thing is a pain in the ass to build with zero margin for error. no better way to approach it than out of a solid grudge - especially one of the very small handful of people with experience in successfully building this thing to cry to when you inevitably fuck it up.

edit: bannelong - you beat me to the punch.
webboy wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
I might make my second SMD build ever an SMR just to rub that comment on your face. :p
Sorry, it really was just a joke. There's a reason I have 2 PCBs. Respect!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 am

bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
There are a very large number of very small 0603-sized unlabelled parts that can be put in the wrong place...
My PCB arrived today and I have to admit I'm intimidated.

User avatar
av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 am
Contact:

Post by av500 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:and now for the 700 page long unsuccessful build thread..
There are a very large number of very small 0603-sized unlabelled parts that can be put in the wrong place...
My PCB arrived today and I have to admit I'm intimidated.
pics?

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3201
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:14 am

webboy wrote:..
I might make my second SMD build ever an SMR just to rub that comment on your face. :p
Sorry, it really was just a joke. There's a reason I have 2 PCBs. Respect!
heh. No worries, that's the spirit though!

User avatar
n167tx
Common Wiggler
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:46 am
Location: London

Post by n167tx » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:20 am

i Am 90% of the first layer.
Its a big ASS project, really fun though. But still Flashing the STM is what worries me the most.
Do i have to populate all the hardware before flashing ?

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”