MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
LektroiD
On the enhanced PCBs, it calls for a carbon resistor, I only have metal film in stock (thousands of them), as I vowed never to use carbon resistors again... Is it possible to use 1x 4.7MΩ (R8) and 1x 3.9MΩ (R16), or maybe change C6 value slightly?
jasonl
LektroiD wrote:
On the enhanced PCBs, it calls for a carbon resistor, I only have metal film in stock (thousands of them), as I vowed never to use carbon resistors again... Is it possible to use 1x 4.7MΩ (R8) and 1x 3.9MΩ (R16), or maybe change C6 value slightly?


I suggest using a carbon resistor on the enhanced PCB - it's not obligatory. It's just that it might be desirable to add a little random difference between the two circuits. It'd be very subtle, just so the PWM frequencies will be slightly different when the two oscillators are tuned together.

By all means experiment with changing R8 and R16 or C6. You could also use two resistors in series on one of the boards, e.g. 4M7 and 220K (for a ~5% difference). This makes it easy as they're placed vertically on the PCB.
4floorsofwhores
jasonl wrote:
4floorsofwhores wrote:
Noobie question again sorry. Can i leave out the link sockets? do i need to link anything? cheers


They're not obligatory... But in my opinion Link is part of the fun things with Wasp/Jasper, as it lets you connect more than one together, or use a sequencer like the Spider, or an external Midi-Wasp adapter. Whether you want to use the on-pcb sockets is up to you, and depends a bit on how you wish to enclose the PCB.


Cool. Thanks. So does this mean you're cloning the Spider at some point? *hope hope*
masterofstuff124
so should i use carbon on the addon pcbs? and metal film for the rest of the board?
jasonl
masterofstuff124 wrote:
so should i use carbon on the addon pcbs? and metal film for the rest of the board?


Just use the same resistors as the rest of your build. As explained above I just suggest using carbon for the 4M7 LFO timing resistors on the enhanced mod board to add a subtle random variation on the speed of the PWM waveforms.... It's not critical.

4floorsofwhores wrote:
jasonl wrote:
4floorsofwhores wrote:
Noobie question again sorry. Can i leave out the link sockets? do i need to link anything? cheers


They're not obligatory... But in my opinion Link is part of the fun things with Wasp/Jasper, as it lets you connect more than one together, or use a sequencer like the Spider, or an external Midi-Wasp adapter. Whether you want to use the on-pcb sockets is up to you, and depends a bit on how you wish to enclose the PCB.


Cool. Thanks. So does this mean you're cloning the Spider at some point? *hope hope*


Not ruling it out... cool
sixty_n
Don't know if this is a well known technique but you can solder wires onto solder lug pots very easily and neatly if you put the wires through some stripboard and then into the back of the bent down pot lugs

LektroiD
sixty_n wrote:
Don't know if this is a well known technique but you can solder wires onto solder lug pots very easily and neatly if you put the wires through some stripboard and then into the back of the bent down pot lugs



That's what I did with all of mine.
LektroiD
I'm getting nothing out of either oscillator, and the filter sounds like it's not opening completely.

The noise generator works which is how I can hear the filter is not going to the top of the range.

The only things I have missed is the Glide pot (finding the dual 1M pot is proving to be more difficult than imagined). I also haven't installed the link ribbon cable, as I am not connecting it to any other unit, unless you need a single ribbon jumper cable to make the oscillators work?

I also have not installed the additional PWM modules. But I can't see that being a problem unless in extended waveform mode?
duff
You don't need the link cable or the the enhanced mode PCBs attached.

Glide I don't know as mine has always been connected, but it is wired as a variable resistor between pins on the pll which then drives the waveform generator. I think you may need to short across pins 1 & 2 if the pot is missing. I got my dual pot from das musikding
jasonl
LektroiD wrote:
I'm getting nothing out of either oscillator, and the filter sounds like it's not opening completely.

The noise generator works which is how I can hear the filter is not going to the top of the range.

The only things I have missed is the Glide pot (finding the dual 1M pot is proving to be more difficult than imagined). I also haven't installed the link ribbon cable, as I am not connecting it to any other unit, unless you need a single ribbon jumper cable to make the oscillators work?

I also have not installed the additional PWM modules. But I can't see that being a problem unless in extended waveform mode?


If testing without the audio mixer pots in place, then jumper the top two pads of the oscillator mix headers, so the oscillator waveforms can get to the filter. You will need the glide pot, or jumper pins 1&2 of each of the glide pot pads as duff suggests.

Smallbear are fine to deliver to the UK - I have had no problems there. ( [url=http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-dual-gang-16 mm-solder-terminals-linear-audio/ ]1M Pot in stock[/url]). Looks like Musikding are currently out of stock of the 1M dual.
sixty_n
For the dual 1M pot I got these off ebay. They seem ok but I've not finished the build yet
jhulk
hi jason managed to open the box today the pcbs look great
LektroiD
sixty_n wrote:
For the dual 1M pot I got these off ebay. They seem ok but I've not finished the build yet


That's the one, saved me ridiculous postage on a potentiometer. Thank you! smile
shiftr
Are the rotary switches supposed to be shorting or non-shorting? On the Bom it says both! seriously, i just don't get it
duff
shiftr wrote:
Are the rotary switches supposed to be shorting or non-shorting? On the Bom it says both! seriously, i just don't get it


I have the alpha MBB switches in mine and I've not noticed any glitching when switching. The Lorins linked in the BOM are also MBB so maybe the non shorting comment is a typo.
shiftr
thanks! So it's MBB then smile ... 2 of the links also point to non-shorting ones. Maybe it doesn't matter?
I wonder if somebody tried non shorting too because they are cheaper at musikding.
jhulk
it depends if its in audio path non shorting will click in audio path
kluberrrrr
So I built mine on Saturday! I spent the whole day but I wanted to take my time and avoid stupid mistakes! Not quite finished yet but it's alive! It's peanut butter jelly time!

I didn't order the glide pot (the stereo 1M log) and I've ordered 2 bad VRs (kbd sens and master tune) so I replaced them with some pots with different values.

First time I fired up the Jasper no sound came out. The noise section was working tho. I've just figured out that I had to bridge the missing glide pot for both tracks Vco 1 and Vco 2. It make sense when you look at the schematics.
Yeah! nanners nanners nanners the VCO 2 worked, the filter as well! But for the LFO only 1 waveform was working and the VCO 1 stayed mute.

Keep an eye on the MTA-100 connectors, those are quite capricious and bad connections happen. At the end, I just soldered them.

VCO 1 starts to sing! And the LFO,if you don't have all the waveforms then you need to turn the trimpot.

The only thing not working is the speaker. I guess it's because of the MTA-100 connectors again.

I'm waiting my second order to be shipped so I can mount the enhanced mod section.

Here two videos I've made really quickly to give you some motivation! hihi It's peanut butter jelly time!

[video]https://youtu.be/wrYmrcpUDhk[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SllZtq_LvtU[/video]

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy JASON, thank you a lot for all the work you did and you are doing. As i was soldering the pcb, I realized even more all the work you did! Really A big thank to you! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
LektroiD
Is it possible to add a sync switch between the oscillators? If so, where would I tap into the circuit?
Sparky
@kluberrrrr thanks for posting the videos. I like the hand slap!

I'm part way through my build and had to leave on a work trip waah
SmartBits
Nice work kluberrrrr! I also like the knobs you used. Are those 20mm wide and about 15.5mm high? Like these:



My local shop has those so I was thinking of getting them.
LektroiD
I have a couple of problems with mine...

When it's been on for about an hour or more, it seems to randomly trigger notes, I have tried to find the sweet spot with keyboard sensitivity, but even when the keyboard won't respond to my finger taps, it triggers random notes.

Second problem is noise when the envelope is open. If I press a key with Osc 1, 2, Noise and Ext. turned down, I hear a lot of noise... seems to be post filter. I wonder if the noise issue is causing the random note triggers.

I'm running it on 9VDC as suggested.
kluberrrrr
SmartBits wrote:
Nice work kluberrrrr! I also like the knobs you used. Are those 20mm wide and about 15.5mm high? Like these:



My local shop has those so I was thinking of getting them.


I found them on musikding.de

I don't know if your local shop's got exactly the same model but lucky me the yellow is the same one used on the PCB.

@LektroiD I've got the same "problem" for the background noise when the osc 1 & 2 are turned down but I won't say a lot.Did you check the VCA trimpot?

About the random note triggering, everything works fine here but if I touch something metallic plugged (let's say the macbook or a lamp) it will trigger random notes. Something's wrong with my electricity ground. You might want to check if there is no cold solder around the sens. Kbd trimpot.

I'm not sure about the noise filter mod behavior as well. If selected it adds noise into the filter but it doesn't look like modulated.

Small tip: as I forgot to buy the Stereo 1M pot for the glide which gives the same amount of "glide" to both VCO I only wired one and bypassed the other= FUN! nanners
captnapalm
kluberrrrr wrote:

About the random note triggering, everything works fine here but if I touch something metallic plugged (let's say the macbook or a lamp) it will trigger random notes. Something's wrong with my electricity ground. You might want to check if there is no cold solder around the sens. Kbd trimpot.



This sounds similar to problems with BEMI 218 keyboards. Several people have found that dimmer switches anywhere in the same building can cause weird random events to be triggered. This assumes not using it on battery power of course...
LektroiD
kluberrrrr wrote:
@LektroiD I've got the same "problem" for the background noise when the osc 1 & 2 are turned down but I won't say a lot.Did you check the VCA trimpot?

Good call, I'll check that and report back

Quote:
About the random note triggering, everything works fine here but if I touch something metallic plugged (let's say the macbook or a lamp) it will trigger random notes. Something's wrong with my electricity ground. You might want to check if there is no cold solder around the sens. Kbd trimpot.

Yes, the same happens with mine, when I touch my macbook, take it out of sleep mode, etc. Strange though, as it should be well grounded with the synth being sat on the antistatic mat on my bench.

Maybe better if I can get some kind of base for it. I was thinking of buying a blank PCB panel the size of the main PCB and mounting it on standoffs, or maybe an aluminium panel would be better...

Quote:
Small tip: as I forgot to buy the Stereo 1M pot for the glide which gives the same amount of "glide" to both VCO I only wired one and bypassed the other= FUN! nanners


Not a bad idea, especially if we can find a way to tap in and activate oscillator sync! I think I'll look at the Fonik 4046 oscillators and compare notes, see where sync taps in to the circuit and if it's doable on here. It would work really nicely with your config.

*EDIT*
4046's appear to be used for the glide circuit on this, so no real correlation between these oscillators and the TH/Fonik 4046. Now to continue looking for a way to tap a sync into this baby...! Jason?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 2 of 31
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group