MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
Toris
Does anyone recognise these knobs? I've been lucky enough to purchase a very fine fully built Jasper but it's missing a few knobs and I don't want to change them all if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any help given

mangros
Looks like these: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knurled-colored-cap s/
MetroJuno121
Toris wrote:
Was the wood used in your cases hand sprayed with aerosols or professionally done? Thanks

With my case I just used hand sprayed aerosols on MDF. A good few coats of high build primer left for 24 hours and then a few thin coats of satin black.
Toris
mangros wrote:
Looks like these: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knurled-colored-cap s/

That's great thank you. I think I've found them on mouser too. Thanks so much for putting the effort in to find them for me.
Toris
MetroJuno121 wrote:
Toris wrote:
Was the wood used in your cases hand sprayed with aerosols or professionally done? Thanks

With my case I just used hand sprayed aerosols on MDF. A good few coats of high build primer left for 24 hours and then a few thin coats of satin black.

Great thanks. You've given me the urge to get cracking.
SUB-versive
Finally put together my Jasper - powered it up via battery and I've hit a few problems that I'd be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of what might be wrong!

1. I'm getting audio out of the line out, but not out of the headphones or speaker - any idea what the problem may be?

2. The only audio I get is from the filter self oscillating and the white noise circuit.. any idea why I'm not getting the oscillators?
MetroJuno121
SUB-versive wrote:
Finally put together my Jasper - powered it up via battery and I've hit a few problems that I'd be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of what might be wrong!

1. I'm getting audio out of the line out, but not out of the headphones or speaker - any idea what the problem may be?

2. The only audio I get is from the filter self oscillating and the white noise circuit.. any idea why I'm not getting the oscillators?

As to 1., well it may point to the amplifier IC23 and associated components. Have a look at your soldering/components around this area. Perhaps reflow your soldering here. Or it could be simply the contacts in the line socket not switching the signal through to the amplifier properly. When nothing is plugged into the line socket it should route the signal through to the amp/phone socket via it's built in switch contacts.

As to 2., this is trickier. It could be that the oscillators aren't working at all or that the signal isn't getting through for some reason. Some sort of signal tracing may need to be done. The fact that both aren't being heard but noise is, may be as simple as some problem around S2B and S4B or the level controls VR19 and VR20. Again check/reflow your soldering and check component values are correct.
grm
hey,

i am desperately searching for a dual 1M ohms log pot for the GLIDE control.
any hints are welcome.
i am located in finland, so i prefer getting it from europe (or asia).

how would using a linear pot for this affect the function?
or then a dual 500K log one, that i can get?

thanks.

grm
MetroJuno121
grm wrote:
hey,

i am desperately searching for a dual 1M ohms log pot for the GLIDE control.
any hints are welcome.
i am located in finland, so i prefer getting it from europe (or asia).

how would using a linear pot for this affect the function?
or then a dual 500K log one, that i can get?

thanks.

grm

Why not this one as per the BOM?
https://www.musikding.de/Alpha-Potentiometer-16mm-Stereo-1M-log_1
I got most of my pots from here and delivery was quick (I'm in the UK)
grm
thanks, for the quick and helpful reply.

i have no idea, why i did not see it when i checked their stock before??
must be my fault.

d'oh!
MetroJuno121
grm wrote:
thanks, for the quick and helpful reply.

i have no idea, why i did not see it when i checked their stock before??
must be my fault.

d'oh!

:-)
SmartBits
I'm a bit further building the case for my Jasper (or actually my partner is, as she's the one with the woodworking skills...). The idea was to make it a bit suitecase-like and easy to take the Jasper out (as I'll probably have to open it up for the add-ons or mods). What's still missing is a leather carrying strap that goes on the two extending wooden "ears":

balbibou
nice case SmartBits ... I still need to build a simple one. The dust spreads too fast...
Branko
I have an idea to do something similar to the Korg Arp Odyssey case...a single piece folded on two sides. I'm gonna try black plexi and heatbend it. I just need to get time on the CNC as I've built a prototype out of cardboard. Fingers crossed!
SUB-versive
Hey guys, thanks for the fix - managed to get the speaker and OSC2 working fine now.

OSC1 on the other hand I have an intermittent fault where it cuts in and out, sometimes if you wiggle the Octave selector switch it comes back in, but often cuts out again shortly after.

Wondering if it might have something to do with the filter too - sometimes just touching the filter will cause it come in / out... any ideas what might be the problem?
grm
I have a problem with the WITH control of the 1st OSC.

It does not work anymore, it used to, but since i opened the case up again, to solder up some wires for the MIDI I/O. it doesn't anymore.

I have checked for broken connections around the pot and have resoldered them already. with no change.

Please let me know how to narrow down the possible fault-zone.

Everything else works like it should, well sometimes two of the keys have played the same tone, but i have not quite determined when and when not. But for now that is secondary.

Thanks.
MetroJuno121
grm wrote:
I have a problem with the WITH control of the 1st OSC.

It does not work anymore, it used to, but since i opened the case up again, to solder up some wires for the MIDI I/O. it doesn't anymore.

I have checked for broken connections around the pot and have resoldered them already. with no change.

Please let me know how to narrow down the possible fault-zone.

Everything else works like it should, well sometimes two of the keys have played the same tone, but i have not quite determined when and when not. But for now that is secondary.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're doing the right things. The fact it worked before opening up your case does suggest a mechanical problem. Try re-seating the chips perhaps and re-flow more of your soldering.
Sammus
Hmm, mine was working perfectly. I hadn't played with it in a couple months, now oscillator 1 does not work at all. Everything else seems to be functioning OK. Any ideas where to start looking? I'll pull it apart and start probing when I get a chance, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be a great smile
LED-man
Sammus wrote:
Hmm, mine was working perfectly. I hadn't played with it in a couple months, now oscillator 1 does not work at all. Everything else seems to be functioning OK. Any ideas where to start looking? I'll pull it apart and start probing when I get a chance, but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be a great smile

you find the schematics here:
http://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/documentation/

(precondition, i´m sure you checked the pcb for bad solder joints)
at first check the voltage at the 555 (IC1/IC2)
exchange these against each other.
sometimes are IC pins bend to inside and you can´t see the bend pin from outside.
same for IC 24 vs IC37 and so on.. (see schematics Page 6-9)
that was for the most users the fastest way.. or you have to trace with a scope the complete way.
aabbcc
Does any kind soul have a complete mouser cart for this smile
grm
hi everybody,

finally i got all the parts needed to finish the JASPER. applause

Finished soldering tonight and have the correct power supply voltage at all IC pins. Have bridged the OSC volume control pinheaders and have set all pots according to the first test info from the build guide.

Unfortunately i have no audio output (only a very faint hum, when i crank up the amp), either at the LINE or PHONES out. seriously, i just don't get it

I am not very familiar with troubleshooting a big project like this and am in dire need of help doing it. How do i follow the signal path? Which pins at what ICs are relevant for this?

i have checked audio, with the amp cranked up, and can hear the noise of the noise signal faintly, the modulation of that with LFO and filters seems to work.

i have checked some things that i understood from the service manual with an oscilloscope and it seems the keyboard is working as well.

a low hum flom the 555 outputs can be tunes with the master tune.

i need HELP.

Hope to read from yous soon.
Thanks in advance.
moogkid
MetroJuno121 wrote:
I can now show some photos!

Best looking case so far!

I would love to get a hold of the templates for this.

Not sure if I asked earlier, has anyone done a desktop version without the keys? I haven't started my build yet, but was thinking it would be nice as a desktop, maybe it's possible to snap off the keys and get it working as a desktop module.

Cheers
moogkid This is fun!
Branko
Checking the Jasper website again, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that 3d printable files are available!

http://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/enclosure/

So I scrapped my initial idea and already printed a set of sides, just need to cut some acrylic.
grm
grm wrote:
hi everybody,

finally i got all the parts needed to finish the JASPER. applause

Finished soldering tonight and have the correct power supply voltage at all IC pins. Have bridged the OSC volume control pinheaders and have set all pots according to the first test info from the build guide.

Unfortunately i have no audio output (only a very faint hum, when i crank up the amp), either at the LINE or PHONES out. seriously, i just don't get it

I am not very familiar with troubleshooting a big project like this and am in dire need of help doing it. How do i follow the signal path? Which pins at what ICs are relevant for this?

i have checked audio, with the amp cranked up, and can hear the noise of the noise signal faintly, the modulation of that with LFO and filters seems to work.

i have checked some things that i understood from the service manual with an oscilloscope and it seems the keyboard is working as well.

a low hum flom the 555 outputs can be tunes with the master tune.

i need HELP.

Hope to read from yous soon.
Thanks in advance.

ok,

i have managed to trace the signal from the oscillators through the filters until the VCA (IC6) at it's signal input (pin13) the signal is pretty faint, if heard with an audio probe and on it's output (pin12/16) it is completly silent. before that after the VDF all seems to work, including LFO, MOD ENVELOPE, NOISE, GLIDE, BEND and KEYS.

I have changed the 13700 and the problem is the same, no change.

What could be the problem? and how can i find it now?
Sammus
LED-man wrote:
Sammus wrote:

you find the schematics here:
http://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/documentation/

(precondition, i´m sure you checked the pcb for bad solder joints)
at first check the voltage at the 555 (IC1/IC2)
exchange these against each other.
sometimes are IC pins bend to inside and you can´t see the bend pin from outside.
same for IC 24 vs IC37 and so on.. (see schematics Page 6-9)
that was for the most users the fastest way.. or you have to trace with a scope the complete way.

Fixed! I noticed that when I loosened the panel all was fine, and the issue would come back when I put pressure on the panel. Turned out the copper legs I used on the glide pot were sticking up a little and touching the panel. It had worn through a little bit and must have been causing some short through the copper flood underneath. I clipped the top of the leads and put some tape over where it wore through underneath. Now it's all cased up and working perfectly smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 28 of 32