MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
KlangGenerator
Finished my Jasper today. When I am in hold2 mode, the filter control env only retriggers a few times when a new note is played. After some notes the filter control env doesn't work anymore. Switching hold off and on again makes the envelope work again for a few notes.

What could cause this to happen? I think it's not normal that the filter envelope doens't retrigger all the time when hold2 mode is enabled... seriously, i just don't get it
grm
grm wrote:
grm wrote:
hi everybody,

finally i got all the parts needed to finish the JASPER. applause

Finished soldering tonight and have the correct power supply voltage at all IC pins. Have bridged the OSC volume control pinheaders and have set all pots according to the first test info from the build guide.

Unfortunately i have no audio output (only a very faint hum, when i crank up the amp), either at the LINE or PHONES out. seriously, i just don't get it

I am not very familiar with troubleshooting a big project like this and am in dire need of help doing it. How do i follow the signal path? Which pins at what ICs are relevant for this?

i have checked audio, with the amp cranked up, and can hear the noise of the noise signal faintly, the modulation of that with LFO and filters seems to work.

i have checked some things that i understood from the service manual with an oscilloscope and it seems the keyboard is working as well.

a low hum flom the 555 outputs can be tunes with the master tune.

i need HELP.

Hope to read from yous soon.
Thanks in advance.

ok,

i have managed to trace the signal from the oscillators through the filters until the VCA (IC6) at it's signal input (pin13) the signal is pretty faint, if heard with an audio probe and on it's output (pin12/16) it is completly silent. before that after the VDF all seems to work, including LFO, MOD ENVELOPE, NOISE, GLIDE, BEND and KEYS.

I have changed the 13700 and the problem is the same, no change.

What could be the problem? and how can i find it now?

ok,
pretty quiet here.
but, i got my JASPER fixed up, so now all works.
the problem was a busted IC in the VCA section.
(well, according to the schematics it is right after the VCA OUT.
more like the line out booster controled with the VOLUME pot.)
i've replaced it and then all worked!! It's peanut butter jelly time!

for those curious, it was IC5 (4069).

next step, JASPER MIDI, is there an extra thread for this add-on.
build one into my old JASPER, but besides blinking when i play notes on the JASPER and blinking LED when in MIDI CHANNEL LEARN mode, there is no IN or OUT.

what could be the cause for that?
does anybody have experiences with this?
synthetek
Which ic did you have to replace?
makhho
also curious about the IC you had to replace
grm
for those curious, it was IC5 (4069).

i've edited my post above.

JASPER MIDI, anyone?

still need help with that. help
SmartBits
Quick question as I did something stupid with my adapter: is + on the pin or on the outside? I thought it should be on the pin, but I'd rather be sure... The schematic in the build doc seems to show that, but I'm still too much of a noob to trust myself with that. hihi
synthetek
SmartBits wrote:
Quick question as I did something stupid with my adapter: is + on the pin or on the outside? I thought it should be on the pin, but I'd rather be sure... The schematic in the build doc seems to show that, but I'm still too much of a noob to trust myself with that. hihi

Its center +
SmartBits
synthetek wrote:
Its center +

Thanks!
makhho
working on a JASPER 2.2 revision from july 2017

build guide "Jasper2" from 1st page of this thread suggests that I put in TR1 and TR2 at a more right/flush orientation with respect to the PCB panel, however TR1 and TR2 on my 2.2 PCB revision are slightly offset and not 'inline' as seen in the build guide. I am not sure if I should follow these suggestions.

anyone assemble a recent JASPER and can provide accurate guidance?
makhho
also -- Jasper2 Construction guide suggests that there are x4 TWO PIN MTA-100 headers, but the BOM for JASPER V2 only lists x3 for the actual build.

Can anyone explain these discrepancies?
sompost
Hi everyone!

Sorry for moving this thread to the top again, but I finally managed to finish my Jasper, including MIDI.

The ...ahem... slick case is made of cheap wood stained black and then covered in 3 layers of Tru Oil for a shoddy vintage look. Wood screws are brass to go with the black/yellow wasp theme.

These pix were taken from a YouTube video of my MIDIfying the Jasper (https://youtu.be/28f_aSbw5Ls), in case anyone cares to know.

Cheers, Ralph

PS: Never mind the 'crooked' knobs, I haven't adjusted them all yet.
makhho
Okay -- have the jasper finished and am trying to troubleshoot some basic issues.

Turns on/LED lights up. I setup the potentiometers and switches to their initial setup state (as described in the build guide), and I began doing the keyboard tuning bit, however I am getting a very quiet signal when ever the keyboard triggers the envelope.

I jumped the two oscillator levels to get max output from them, however the line out signal is very weak. It is there, but it just sounds like it is attenuated heavily or something; there is a distinct noisey whooshing sound in the background.

I checked +5v on all ICs. Not sure which pins to prod for a voltage reading on the 555s, the 386, and the LM13700. It seems like it isn't the standard prod pin 7/8 and 14/16 as on the other ICs.

Checked my cap polatirty and also IC orientation and placement. Using a 12V 500mA PSU.

Anyone encounter something similar or have suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?
makhho
It is strange because everything functionally seems to be working, only problem is that I must have the volume on the JASPER and mixer/monitors jacked really high.

Noise, different oscillator shapes, FT", Q / FILTER, LFO waveform, etc. all seem to be working, I just have to boost the hell out of the signal to hear anything.

Looked over caps and resistor values near the line out and phones, and nothing looks wrong... seriously, i just don't get it

EDIT -- FIXED. Wow -- completely spaced out on the external trigger mod.

I wasn't getting line out from the minijack socket because I didn't have a header bridging the T to S on the external mod. Ugh. Okay.
If anyone runs into this issue hopefully this helps.
Branko

FINALLY put together a case for one of my Jaspers. Had to clean up my 3d printed sides to make everything fit, but overall I'm super happy.

I did notice that my filter knob is all of a sudden hard to turn at the 3 o'clock position, which means it'll surely fail down the line, but I'm not opening it up and resoldering after all this work getting the case on. That's for another time.
Ran out of knobs too. Ah well.
4teenth
Branko wrote:

FINALLY put together a case for one of my Jaspers. Had to clean up my 3d printed sides to make everything fit, but overall I'm super happy.

I did notice that my filter knob is all of a sudden hard to turn at the 3 o'clock position, which means it'll surely fail down the line, but I'm not opening it up and resoldering after all this work getting the case on. That's for another time.
Ran out of knobs too. Ah well.

Oohhhhhh I really like that. How is the bottom protected?
Branko
To note, this is designed by Jason, I just followed the instructions on his site (with some slight modifications because I have a router not a laser cutter)

http://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/enclosure/

So as you can see there is a piece that is as large as the entire unit at the bottom protecting the whole thing. It only has some holes for the battery holders.

It feels very sturdy when it's all done!
Branko
Anyone have any idea why the function of the Random would suddenly change to something less controllable/more noisy. Noisy in the sense that it seems way more chaotic than before. It's odd cause the other modes work fine. They modify the filter the same as before, only Random is being weird. As I noted my filter pot is acting up, but why would it only affect the Random?

I'll open up my case and take a look but I'm perplexed.

I'll make some sound files later to illustrate my issue.
aabbcc
Does anyone have the exact amount of space (height) between the pcb and the alpha pots? Would like to use someone of spacer between them smile

Someone mentioned the pink packaging material tayda used but I think this has been replaced since all my I've sockets came stuck down in a much more dense material which I think does not have the same height.
LED-man
15-17mm spacers works fine.
If you can’t find this size, use washers

Edit: you can also attach a 3mm to male/female spacer to get the size
aabbcc
LED-man wrote:

Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" smile

duff wrote:
Edit: Oh and the pink stuff Tayda uses to pack ICs is the perfect height for lifting the alpha pots up to meet the panel.

makhho
So I've had my JASPER up and running for a few months now, however I think I am now experiencing a change in the resonance quality of the JASPER. It is either from working on the MIDI implementation and perhaps fudging something up on the main board, or it is paranoia.

Has anyone experienced a slight difference in their resonance behavior on the JASPER?

It just doesn't seem to drive the filter into weird behavioral states like it did when I first got it up and running.

Would anyone be willing to post a video of OSC1 / OSC2 / OSC1 + OSC2 at full volume being multi-mode filter swept along with a steady Q sweep from full counterclockwise to clockwise pot position? Leaving all the other pots alone or at minimum (modulation, pitch, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!
KlangGenerator
aabbcc wrote:
LED-man wrote:

Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" smile

The best idea is to mount the top panel and fix all those pots from the top with nuts. Then solder the pins from the bottom and you automatically have the correct length. wink
duff
aabbcc wrote:

Although the pink stuff worked better than nothing, particularly for the vert PCB pin pots, on my second build I actually found it much easier to use only pots with lugs onto which I soldered some long legs of solid core wire. I could then bolt everything firmly to the panel and guide the legs through the PCB. This bit was a little fiddly but you can get all legs through the PCB before soldering. I used reasonably wide gauge solid core wire so that when the panel was subsequently removed they didn’t flop around. For reference though, the pink stuff is approximately 10mm thick.
JuNo1O6
I posted this in the other thread (which may have not been the right place). But could anyone link me to a 3 way hold switch and a trigger jack please, I've been looking everywhere and some help would be appreciated smile
aabbcc
KlangGenerator wrote:
aabbcc wrote:
LED-man wrote:

The best idea is to mount the top panel and fix all those pots from the top with nuts. Then solder the pins from the bottom and you automatically have the correct length. wink

Ofc, should have thought of that lol since thats how i form all my LEDs

duff wrote:
aabbcc wrote:

Although the pink stuff worked better than nothing, particularly for the vert PCB pin pots, on my second build I actually found it much easier to use only pots with lugs onto which I soldered some long legs of solid core wire. I could then bolt everything firmly to the panel and guide the legs through the PCB. This bit was a little fiddly but you can get all legs through the PCB before soldering. I used reasonably wide gauge solid core wire so that when the panel was subsequently removed they didn’t flop around. For reference though, the pink stuff is approximately 10mm thick.

Ah smart, already got the pcb mounted pots though.

I also seem to have orsdered the 150 k and 19k resistors as 1/8 w instead of 1/4w...will that be fine or should I just pick up some 1/4w? My inner ocd tells me to keep the fuck away from mixing 1/8w and 1/w hehe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 29 of 31