MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 [all]
Author [Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone
theboytheycalljonny
Hey folks

Just finished a Jasper build and thought I'd share what i used for a case.

It's literally an old readers digest 'Learn Italian' cassette series box and it fits perfectly! It cost me £3 in a charity shop. They're on eBay for about £15.

All i had to do is drill a load of holes for the power, ins and outs etc. I used standoffs to raise the PCB up a little.

Here's a picture


Here's a link to eBay for the same type of case

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Readers-Digest-At-Home-with-French-Pimsleur -Programmed-Learning-Tapes-Course/142943459815?hash=item21481819e7:g:3 C8AAOSwkllboOh3:rk:5:pf:0
Bamboombaps
Hey all trying to resurrect a sickly build.

Here's some issues-
When turning on it starts off silent and sound gradually build over about 4mins
When the vca env is switched it goes very quiet . I can still hear the ticking if the control env. Section and the other sections way in the background
Constant sound. It thinks a key is constantly depressed.
Keyboard erratic. No amount of messing with the sensitivity seems to get the lower quarter of the keyboard to function at all.

help
balbibou
During the calibration process of 'VCO separation trimmer' (page 40/41) it is asked to 'Turn the Bend control fully clockwise. If the oscillators start to beat more quickly or more slowly, then adjust the trimmer to get the slow beating again.'
Well for me just by touching or brushing the rotary part/case of the osc 2 pitch pot it changes this beating effect. Is it a ground issue ? What should I look for ?
johnnym
I’ve just started my build on this and looking at the v2 construction guide it clearly shows a space for a cap between R128 and IC33 unpopulated at the bottom of page 10 which assumed would be for a 0.1uf cap. Then on the bottom 11 it shows it populated with something. I’ve already got all 38 0.1uf caps in place so what goes here? seriously, i just don't get it
duff
johnnym wrote:
I’ve just started my build on this and looking at the v2 construction guide it clearly shows a space for a cap between R128 and IC33 unpopulated at the bottom of page 10 which assumed would be for a 0.1uf cap. Then on the bottom 11 it shows it populated with something. I’ve already got all 38 0.1uf caps in place so what goes here? seriously, i just don't get it


That is a 0.1uf decoupling cap.
johnnym
duff wrote:


That is a 0.1uf decoupling cap.


Thanks, so the BOM should say 39 caps for this then? I’ve double checked I’ve not got any of the other ceramic caps in the wrong place and all looks OK there.
duff
johnnym wrote:
duff wrote:


That is a 0.1uf decoupling cap.


Thanks, so the BOM should say 39 caps for this then? I’ve double checked I’ve not got any of the other ceramic caps in the wrong place and all looks OK there.


Yeah, pretty sure you need 39 0.1 uf caps and the BOM was one short orignally - although it has been a lot time since I built mine and there have been a few PCB revisions since then. I thought Jason had updated the BOM, but perhaps not.
johnnym
duff wrote:

Yeah, pretty sure you need 39 0.1 uf caps and the BOM was one short orignally - although it has been a lot time since I built mine and there have been a few PCB revisions since then. I thought Jason had updated the BOM, but perhaps not.


Great, thanks for your help
duff
balbibou wrote:
During the calibration process of 'VCO separation trimmer' (page 40/41) it is asked to 'Turn the Bend control fully clockwise. If the oscillators start to beat more quickly or more slowly, then adjust the trimmer to get the slow beating again.'
Well for me just by touching or brushing the rotary part/case of the osc 2 pitch pot it changes this beating effect. Is it a ground issue ? What should I look for ?


The case/bodyof the pot should be isolated from the pins so touching or brushing it should have no effect. Could you have a defective pot?
balbibou
Quote:
The case/bodyof the pot should be isolated from the pins so touching or brushing it should have no effect. Could you have a defective pot?


Ordered one yesterday. This is the only thing that comes to my mind as I don't have electronic knowledge.
adrien-19
Hello everyone,

I write on this forum because I just finished my jasper, and I have a problem with the control env. , here are videos of my problem:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvqxhwOusdg&list=UUAhHM201ptTWIYE3wStW PHw

and the second with a MIDI input (which confirms that the problem of not coming from the keyboard)



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuB38ilu1HQ&list=UUAhHM201ptTWIYE3wStW PHw&index=1

Randomly the envelope activates twice in succession. There is surely a problem in the detection of the note, maybe it is an IC that does not work well.

Maybe it's normal, but I have doubts. I wanted to know if any of you can tell me which parts I should resoldering or which IC I should change.

 Thank you in advance !
sixbyseven
I built a wooden box with one end open, then used 19" rack drawer slides to install the Jasper into one of my synth racks. The midi, power and audio outs are all wired off the back.

It is actually very useable in the configuration, and makes it easier to orchestrate with other synths manually or through midi.

Callockard
Hi, Anyone else notice the resonance seems (sounds) like it has a higher value when set to zero? In other words, filter has some resonance when Q is set to zero...
paddodust
Hi..everyone

First post so be Kind hihi

Ok so I built myself a jasper and powered it on... everything works as it should, but the keyboard is giving off wierd vibes!!
I seem to get the 3 octaves on the board to be correct audiowise but the semitones in between do nothing.. That is to say.. only a few notes play and the rest are dead.
I figure it must be something to do with the note decoding, but I can't figure it out from the drawings
very frustrating
Checked my sockets and soldering and all looks ok.. I did run over all of them with a magnifying glass to determine if I missed a pin or there was a bridge.. but nada..

Much Love to anyone who's got any insight...

Patrick
Bodo1967
It's been a while since I built mine, but I do remember there are quite a few test points where you're supposed to check voltages. Iirc, those can be found in the original WASP service manual, which can be used for the Jasper as well.

Are these voltages alright in yours?

If not, or if you haven't checked them yet, that might be a goood point to start.

I also had a problem at first - mine only played one octave but did so twice (as in, jumped from middle B to low C instead of middle C when playing the notes in an upward order, then repeated the lower octave). Turned out to be a small solder blob on the bottom side of the PCB where the ribbon cable is connected.
mightymike1978
Thanx, great idea!!!

Please show us a picture of it, if you got any! ;-)

Best regards
Mighty

theboytheycalljonny wrote:
Hey folks

Just finished a Jasper build and thought I'd share what i used for a case.

It's literally an old readers digest 'Learn Italian' cassette series box and it fits perfectly! It cost me £3 in a charity shop. They're on eBay for about £15.

All i had to do is drill a load of holes for the power, ins and outs etc. I used standoffs to raise the PCB up a little.

Here's a picture


Here's a link to eBay for the same type of case

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Readers-Digest-At-Home-with-French-Pimsleur -Programmed-Learning-Tapes-Course/142943459815?hash=item21481819e7:g:3 C8AAOSwkllboOh3:rk:5:pf:0
hox3d
Hey team.

I wanted to build a Jasper just to make a wooden case.
Since I don't really trust my skill to make such a thing, I decided to reduce the risk by modeling it prior to do it.

So, here is the thing:


I must say I just learned Blender just for that one.
That's a little bit overkill but yeah, I could learn something.
It's not perfect, it's missing switches and screws... But that's enough for my purposes.

Let me know what you think of it!
jersupereq
Beautiful! we're not worthy
devinw1
hox3d looks good, but maybe my eyes deceive me but the front lip is protruding beyond the plane of the key suface? If so, I would make it flush or even down maybe .03"-05" so it's not a hindrance to play.
hox3d
It's supposed to be right at the same level, the picture is not that clear indeed... The two models are so close that you can't see any gap in-between.
But yeah, maybe a small angle to add "access" to the keys?

It's not a perfect model ahah. I tried my best but at some point it was like "well, I can't see it, let's forget about this detail".
For instance, I wanted to make all corners a little bit more "roundish".
makhho
Looks good indeed, hox3d. IF you do happen to do a run of these, then I'd be interested in one.

How thick would the back of the case be? Curious because I'd likely drill holes to accommodate Jason's MIDI board design.
kragg
makhho wrote:
It is strange because everything functionally seems to be working, only problem is that I must have the volume on the JASPER and mixer/monitors jacked really high.

Noise, different oscillator shapes, FT", Q / FILTER, LFO waveform, etc. all seem to be working, I just have to boost the hell out of the signal to hear anything.

Looked over caps and resistor values near the line out and phones, and nothing looks wrong... seriously, i just don't get it

EDIT -- FIXED. Wow -- completely spaced out on the external trigger mod.

I wasn't getting line out from the minijack socket because I didn't have a header bridging the T to S on the external mod. Ugh. Okay.
If anyone runs into this issue hopefully this helps.

Thank you , this helped me indeed thumbs up
bujbot1
Hey,

Just finished my build. Went really well and I love the sound of this thing!

Like others here I noticed more noise than I wanted out of the "phones" jack. Here's what I did to fix it:

Regulated the power supply in. I had a slight hum that I didn't like on the phones jack. I didn't want to touch the Jasper internally so I made a 9v regulator with filter caps as a dongle. That cleaned the hum and some of the other noise.

I turned the LM386 amplifier down a bit. It sounded like it was picking up some high freq logic noise and was excessively loud. So I solder 6k resistor from input to ground on the chip itself (didn't want to touch the jasper internals again).

Now the phones jack is clean and hotter than the line out (though only by about 50-75%). The speaker is probably a touch quieter than I would like. If I did it again I would likely use 10-15kohms instead which would make the amp a bit louder.

Maybe this will help someone, I dunno! Either way, thank you jasonl, this is incredible all around!
grizzle
Hey all,

The build guide says to solder in TR1 and TR2 bent over flush against the PCB to avoid any shorts but I noticed both transistors have been moved on the latest PCB. Do they still need to be installed bent flush or can they be soldered in without bending the legs now?

Cheers,
Alex
gslug
Got mine built and it all seemed so easy.... but I have filter problems. I only get an output on Notch or High Pass. Low and Band Pass are (almost) silent. I've had a look at the Wasp service manual and seen that this can be symptomatic of oscillator 1 not working as it provides the keyboard voltage, but oscillator 1 is working in my case and I'm getting around 0.6V on pin 13 of IC 12. Any ideas?

Scratch that. After much poking around with a scope it turns out I've got a duff rotary switch. That's going to be fun to desolder....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 [all]
Page 31 of 31
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group