[Build Thread] Jasper, an EDP Wasp Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Wed May 02, 2018 6:42 am

Finished my Jasper today. When I am in hold2 mode, the filter control env only retriggers a few times when a new note is played. After some notes the filter control env doesn't work anymore. Switching hold off and on again makes the envelope work again for a few notes.

What could cause this to happen? I think it's not normal that the filter envelope doens't retrigger all the time when hold2 mode is enabled... :despair:

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

grm wrote:
grm wrote:hi everybody,

finally i got all the parts needed to finish the JASPER. :yay:

Finished soldering tonight and have the correct power supply voltage at all IC pins. Have bridged the OSC volume control pinheaders and have set all pots according to the first test info from the build guide.

Unfortunately i have no audio output (only a very faint hum, when i crank up the amp), either at the LINE or PHONES out. :despair:

I am not very familiar with troubleshooting a big project like this and am in dire need of help doing it. How do i follow the signal path? Which pins at what ICs are relevant for this?

i have checked audio, with the amp cranked up, and can hear the noise of the noise signal faintly, the modulation of that with LFO and filters seems to work.

i have checked some things that i understood from the service manual with an oscilloscope and it seems the keyboard is working as well.

a low hum flom the 555 outputs can be tunes with the master tune.

i need HELP.

Hope to read from yous soon.
Thanks in advance.
ok,

i have managed to trace the signal from the oscillators through the filters until the VCA (IC6) at it's signal input (pin13) the signal is pretty faint, if heard with an audio probe and on it's output (pin12/16) it is completly silent. before that after the VDF all seems to work, including LFO, MOD ENVELOPE, NOISE, GLIDE, BEND and KEYS.

I have changed the 13700 and the problem is the same, no change.

What could be the problem? and how can i find it now?
ok,
pretty quiet here.
but, i got my JASPER fixed up, so now all works.
the problem was a busted IC in the VCA section.
(well, according to the schematics it is right after the VCA OUT.
more like the line out booster controled with the VOLUME pot.)
i've replaced it and then all worked!! :banana:

for those curious, it was IC5 (4069).

next step, JASPER MIDI, is there an extra thread for this add-on.
build one into my old JASPER, but besides blinking when i play notes on the JASPER and blinking LED when in MIDI CHANNEL LEARN mode, there is no IN or OUT.

what could be the cause for that?
does anybody have experiences with this?
Last edited by grm on Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Which ic did you have to replace?

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Last edited by makhho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 am

for those curious, it was IC5 (4069).

i've edited my post above.

JASPER MIDI, anyone?

still need help with that. :help:

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Wed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Quick question as I did something stupid with my adapter: is + on the pin or on the outside? I thought it should be on the pin, but I'd rather be sure... The schematic in the build doc seems to show that, but I'm still too much of a noob to trust myself with that. :hihi:

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm

SmartBits wrote:Quick question as I did something stupid with my adapter: is + on the pin or on the outside? I thought it should be on the pin, but I'd rather be sure... The schematic in the build doc seems to show that, but I'm still too much of a noob to trust myself with that. :hihi:
Its center +

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 am

synthetek wrote:Its center +
Thanks!

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Last edited by makhho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Last edited by makhho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sompost
Learning to Wiggle

MIDI for the Wasp

Post by sompost » Sat May 26, 2018 1:53 am

Hi everyone!

Sorry for moving this thread to the top again, but I finally managed to finish my Jasper, including MIDI.

The ...ahem... slick case is made of cheap wood stained black and then covered in 3 layers of Tru Oil for a shoddy vintage look. Wood screws are brass to go with the black/yellow wasp theme.

These pix were taken from a YouTube video of my MIDIfying the Jasper (https://youtu.be/28f_aSbw5Ls), in case anyone cares to know.

Cheers, Ralph

PS: Never mind the 'crooked' knobs, I haven't adjusted them all yet.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Last edited by makhho on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 pm

FINALLY put together a case for one of my Jaspers. Had to clean up my 3d printed sides to make everything fit, but overall I'm super happy.

I did notice that my filter knob is all of a sudden hard to turn at the 3 o'clock position, which means it'll surely fail down the line, but I'm not opening it up and resoldering after all this work getting the case on. That's for another time.
Ran out of knobs too. Ah well.

4teenth
Common Wiggler

Post by 4teenth » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 am

Branko wrote:Image

FINALLY put together a case for one of my Jaspers. Had to clean up my 3d printed sides to make everything fit, but overall I'm super happy.

I did notice that my filter knob is all of a sudden hard to turn at the 3 o'clock position, which means it'll surely fail down the line, but I'm not opening it up and resoldering after all this work getting the case on. That's for another time.
Ran out of knobs too. Ah well.

Oohhhhhh I really like that. How is the bottom protected?

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am

To note, this is designed by Jason, I just followed the instructions on his site (with some slight modifications because I have a router not a laser cutter)

http://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/enclosure/

So as you can see there is a piece that is as large as the entire unit at the bottom protecting the whole thing. It only has some holes for the battery holders.

It feels very sturdy when it's all done!

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Anyone have any idea why the function of the Random would suddenly change to something less controllable/more noisy. Noisy in the sense that it seems way more chaotic than before. It's odd cause the other modes work fine. They modify the filter the same as before, only Random is being weird. As I noted my filter pot is acting up, but why would it only affect the Random?

I'll open up my case and take a look but I'm perplexed.

I'll make some sound files later to illustrate my issue.

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 am

Does anyone have the exact amount of space (height) between the pcb and the alpha pots? Would like to use someone of spacer between them :)

Someone mentioned the pink packaging material tayda used but I think this has been replaced since all my I've sockets came stuck down in a much more dense material which I think does not have the same height.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 am

15-17mm spacers works fine.
If you can’t find this size, use washers

Edit: you can also attach a 3mm to male/female spacer to get the size
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 am

LED-man wrote:15-17mm spacers works fine.

Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" :)
duff wrote:...
Edit: Oh and the pink stuff Tayda uses to pack ICs is the perfect height for lifting the alpha pots up to meet the panel.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:57 am

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

aabbcc wrote:

Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" :)
The best idea is to mount the top panel and fix all those pots from the top with nuts. Then solder the pins from the bottom and you automatically have the correct length. ;)

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm

aabbcc wrote: Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" :)
Although the pink stuff worked better than nothing, particularly for the vert PCB pin pots, on my second build I actually found it much easier to use only pots with lugs onto which I soldered some long legs of solid core wire. I could then bolt everything firmly to the panel and guide the legs through the PCB. This bit was a little fiddly but you can get all legs through the PCB before soldering. I used reasonably wide gauge solid core wire so that when the panel was subsequently removed they didn’t flop around. For reference though, the pink stuff is approximately 10mm thick.

JuNo1O6
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JuNo1O6 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 am

I posted this in the other thread (which may have not been the right place). But could anyone link me to a 3 way hold switch and a trigger jack please, I've been looking everywhere and some help would be appreciated :)

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:35 pm

KlangGenerator wrote:
aabbcc wrote:

The best idea is to mount the top panel and fix all those pots from the top with nuts. Then solder the pins from the bottom and you automatically have the correct length. ;)
Ofc, should have thought of that lol since thats how i form all my LEDs

duff wrote:
aabbcc wrote: Thanks but I was thinking about the space between the pcb and 16mm alpha pots, see this post where duff has added the "pink stuff" :)
Although the pink stuff worked better than nothing, particularly for the vert PCB pin pots, on my second build I actually found it much easier to use only pots with lugs onto which I soldered some long legs of solid core wire. I could then bolt everything firmly to the panel and guide the legs through the PCB. This bit was a little fiddly but you can get all legs through the PCB before soldering. I used reasonably wide gauge solid core wire so that when the panel was subsequently removed they didn’t flop around. For reference though, the pink stuff is approximately 10mm thick.
Ah smart, already got the pcb mounted pots though.

I also seem to have orsdered the 150 k and 19k resistors as 1/8 w instead of 1/4w...will that be fine or should I just pick up some 1/4w? My inner ocd tells me to keep the fuck away from mixing 1/8w and 1/w hehe

Return to “Music Tech DIY”