MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the RE 303 project ...not a clone but a TB 303 replica..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author the RE 303 project ...not a clone but a TB 303 replica..
boops
Just finished this toy wink

A quality demo ,in a simple demo one track live...enjoy
most of the stuff diy,buchla 200r 56U cabinet,9090,P3 seq ,an obx 8 voices and the Korg stage echo completely restored...

[s]https://soundcloud.com/boops95/re-303-test[/s]

https://soundcloud.com/boops95/re-303-test

http://re-303.forumatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183
rhythmdial
well done boops!
LektroiD
There's no real difference between clone and replica.

From the dictionary:
Clone (noun)
a person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another: guitarists who are labelled Hendrix clones.
Replica (noun)
an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale: a replica of the Empire State Building.

I'm guessing from the title, the one you built is a smaller version of the TB303?
Grumskiz
I think there is some confusion on these terms, because of different connotation.
Clones seem to sometimes be frowned upon and get the "not as good as the original" tag, whereas replica are considered to have great attention to detail.
I have nothing to back this up, just my general observation.

Really enjoyed the demo, boops! Nice work.
LektroiD
Grumskiz wrote:
I think there is some confusion on these terms, because of different connotation.
Clones seem to sometimes be frowned upon and get the "not as good as the original" tag, whereas replica are considered to have great attention to detail.

Replica is also used to describe fake watches.

Either way, it is not the original, therefore it is another clone.
boops
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

No ,its an exact copy...pcb,psu,transistor etc....and the cpu QuickSilver is really better imho
LektroiD
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

No ,its an exact copy...pcb,psu,transistor etc....and the cpu QuickSilver is really better imho

The definition of 'clone' means exact copy... Read above, or look in the dictionary.

If you put a 'better' CPU in your RE303, then it is not exact. Similarly the TT303 is not an exact copy, despite the similarities right down to the enclosure, knobs, etc. The TT303 it has additional MIDI features (ie. better CPU). The x0xbox uses original parts, but the enclosure is different, it also features an enhanced CPU.

None of the above are the original TB303, so all are clones.
MATSmile
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

The definition of 'clone' means exact copy... Read above, or look in the dictionary.

If you put a 'better' CPU in your RE303, then it is not exact. Similarly the TT303 is not an exact copy, despite the similarities right down to the enclosure, knobs, etc. The TT303 it has additional MIDI features (ie. better CPU). The x0xbox uses original parts, but the enclosure is different, it also features an enhanced CPU.

What's wrong with you man. You are arguing about nothing. If you bought TB303 for 3000$ and now someone built cheaper/better copy, (which I bet cost no more than 700$ to finish including PCB) it's not their problem it's your problem seriously, i just don't get it

BTW Great track boops. I like buchla plonks in there.
tobb
likely its the other way,those that don't have $3000 now for a tb are making clones .

Most that have original TB's payd like $300 for it long time ago wink

Mr. Green
nickster
My take on this is that the replica 303 is as good as it gets if you want to fashion a new 303. But for those collectors out there that have spent $$$ on their original 303's or are holding on to ones that have gained in value the replicas will be no more of value than a clone. Hence the senseless rubishing of what with the re303 is an exceptional effort on behalf of its creator. The irony in all of this is that back in the day the TB303 was of no more value to most musicians than a monotron is today. With the exception that the 303 was perhaps not as popular. Make of that what you will. Bravo to boops for this build and to Dinsync.
LektroiD
MATSmile wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

What's wrong with you man. You are arguing about nothing. If you bought TB303 for 3000$ and now someone built cheaper/better copy, (which I bet cost no more than 700$ to finish including PCB) it's not their problem it's your problem seriously, i just don't get it

Absolutely nothing wrong with me, but thanks for asking. I was simply making the point that there is no difference between replica and clone, both mean exactly the same thing; copies of an original item.

In the title, it claims not to be a clone. It is.
medbot
LektroiD wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with me, but thanks for asking. I was simply making the point that there is no difference between replica and clone, both mean exactly the same thing; copies of an original item.

Dude, who cares? Good grief.
boops
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

schmuck
medbot wrote:

Dude, who cares? Good grief.

I have no horse in this race but you are coming accross rather agressive. What the "dude" is pointing out is just that the title is misleading. I agree with him. That's all. Hope that's okay with you?
PWM
boops
We can swap CPUs. I get your quick silver, you get my original! wink
realitycontrol
Similar title confusion can be found over at;
http://www.dinsync.info/2015/10/re-303-its-not-clone-its-replica.html? m=1

Never knew there was such controversy over these words!

Boops, your build looks and sounds amazing. Inspiring me to look up the kits. Should I assume that this project is not suitable for the beginner?
rhythmdial
LektroiD wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

it is just weird that you start beef in here, about a trivial matter = being no difference between a clone or a replica yet they are different, even in the text you posted.

if someone stomped a TB-303 on stage or it got rusted away in a frenzy of battery leakage during poor storage, this is the replacement that is needed and like any transistor using vintage gear it may have to be fine tuned and calibrated but it is a replacement of the original. you can call it a clone or a replica or a new version or an update or a replacement, yet most people would be happy it exists and give thanks to the builder who made it possible to hear the sounds from a freshly soldered machine.

SlayerBadger!
LektroiD
rhythmdial wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

it is just weird that you start beef in here, about a trivial matter = being no difference between a clone or a replica yet they are different, even in the text you posted.

if someone stomped a TB-303 on stage or it got rusted away in a frenzy of battery leakage during poor storage, this is the replacement that is needed and like any transistor using vintage gear it may have to be fine tuned and calibrated but it is a replacement of the original. you can call it a clone or a replica or a new version or an update or a replacement, yet most people would be happy it exists and give thanks to the builder who made it possible to hear the sounds from a freshly soldered machine.

SlayerBadger!

In this context, both clone and replica are synonyms. Only deviation would be in the word replica, which could suggest a smaller scale version. Therefore clone is more fitting, and certainly not an antonym as the title suggests.

That's all I was saying.
tobb
boops wrote:

No identical case with the logo and brand name on it,blue pcb's ! (LOL),definitely a clone,and you can see it immediately.

sorry,i have to insist hihi
boops
rhythmdial wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
MATSmile wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
boops wrote:
LektroiD wrote:
Grumskiz wrote:

SlayerBadger!

'Thanks for the kind words wink
The most important :i am really happy with the sound...and its very interesting to build .
The psu in a xoxbox is not the same as this Re 303,this one is a perfect copy of the TB 303 psu...and its not cheap to build !!! With 275 USD for the cpu alone...

Fyi,my level in english is not high enough for deep battle of "jeu de mot"
Musicology of Dreams
boops wrote:
'Thanks for these words wink
The most important :i am really happy with the sound...and its very interesting to build .

Hi Boops

Yeah This is fun! Congratulations for great work w00t
Pleasure a build synth's and enjoy your home made analog sound thumbs up
Some folks are they little jalous ? hihi
Thanks and best regards to all It's peanut butter jelly time!
medbot
Quote:

Damn that's dense!
radioelcamio
Hey boops, where did you get the sumida coil in the power supply?

I spendet +10 years on different 303 copy projects but no one seems to pay attention to the power supply. There can be no similar sounding copy whitout the power supply, the most clones fail on this. There are some serious zeners in there with tight specs better then rev02 reverence.

I often use my 303 as a sequenzer to the modular and its fk´n tight on pitch.

Congratulation on this build man.
phono1337
nice work boops!

for those arguing on semantics, yes you are right, theres no difference in the word meanings. Its just marketing and the single line sums up that its a close clone rather than a x0xb0x or tt303.

radioelcamio wrote:
Hey boops, where did you get the sumida coil in the power supply?

they come with each re-303 pcb set, I have some extra if you need some drop me a line thumbs up
Troubleshooter
Hey Boops,

Nice work! I'v build 5 x0xb0xes allready and can imagine how hard it must be to get all the parts into an even smaller PCB like the original.

So I understand you got the exact same PCB layout as the original only on the analog part?

1 thing is a fact, every x0xb0x i built sounds a bit different, also every original 303 I have owned, serviced or played sounds a bit different.
I have heard original 303's that sound less 303 to my ears than my favorite x0x...

I have learned to select some particular hFE trannies, particular value capacitors and do a few little mods to get overall better sound.

Can't wait to see the plastic mold case clone for this thing...keep up the good work!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3