MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ikea 19" rack mount
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Ikea 19" rack mount
Waz
From a dish rack...

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2010/04/from-kitchen-to-home-studio.htm l?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ikeahacke r+(ikeahacker)

I might go pick one of these up...
It looks like 6 or 7u
chinard
i used a few of these in my studio for a while.
IIRC if you re-drill them you can squeeze in 10u.
I'll check out the ones i built when i get home

EDIT: didnt check the link, this is different from the one you can build from the ikea RAST night-table (which i managed to get 10u out of)

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/09/hack-bedside-tables-into-music- studio.html
theabsent
I have two RASTs too. Handy in studio.
SepticUnderground
I have 2 Rastâ„¢s also, they are 9 Euro here.

This is the finished one:

The space beneath is exactly 2U HE, I have a PX3000 patchpanel laying in it

The above section is 6U HE high, I got a row 10U wide 5U oakley + one 1U HE utillitystrip that Krisp1 build for me
analogPedagog
This is awesome!
werock
The RAST is great. I'm using it for two rows of Frac - just needed to add some additional strips in the middle to support the bottom of the top row/top of the bottom row. Plus it has the advantage of being rack width, so you can squeeze in a couple of extra modules compared to a normal 19" rack. It's also deep enough to mount a power supply at the back of the case (mine is screwed to the bottom).
Waz
Ok then. I think I am going to pick up a RAST this week. lol

The school I work at is throwing away a bunch of student audio desks that have some rack rails in it. Are there any special assembly steps different than what's in the manual?
gwaidan
If you're happy to have the "standard" 6U of enclosed space then you can just assemble it per the instructions-I added the precut rack strips to the sides after I assembled the rack because the clearance was pretty tight, and in fact there was no room for vertical movement-apart from that just do it!! The RAST was the best $20 I ever spent...
Waz
gwaidan wrote:
If you're happy to have the "standard" 6U of enclosed space then you can just assemble it per the instructions-I added the precut rack strips to the sides after I assembled the rack because the clearance was pretty tight, and in fact there was no room for vertical movement-apart from that just do it!! The RAST was the best $20 I ever spent...

Did you pre-drill the holes for the racking?
Low-Gain
I'll have to pick up a couple this week. Think I have some rack rail floating around somewhere.

Will take pictures of the progress.
Very cool. I remember when they put another side table that
was perfect for adding rack rails in a few years back. good old akea. smile
Waz
Picked one up today. Fits perfect. I haven't put the rails in it yet since I don't have a drill, but this is a pic of my synth sitting inside of it. I'll leave it like this until I get a drill;

Oh and it was only 15$!!!
synthgeek
Wow, I'm definitely gonna have to get one of those. Thanks for the heads up on that thing!
Waz
It's worth every cent.
gwaidan
Waz wrote:
gwaidan wrote:

No, just used self-tapping mushroom-head wood screws which hold the rails really securely.
Waz
gwaidan wrote:
Waz wrote:
gwaidan wrote:

No, just used self-tapping mushroom-head wood screws which hold the rails really securely.

Just did this and it worked! I'm going to put some rails in one for my diy rack.
Low-Gain
Just picked up 2 shelves today at iKea, waiting for my $6 sets of 6 space rack rails to arrive. I'll put together a photo detailed tutorial for making the rack. Doubt it iwll be needed but it's always helpful.
Waz
Low-Gain wrote:
Just picked up 2 shelves today at iKea, waiting for my $6 sets of 6 space rack rails to arrive. I'll put together a photo detailed tutorial for making the rack. Doubt it iwll be needed but it's always helpful.

Are you making a 19" rack mount or are you putting module mounting rails in it?
Low-Gain
Waz wrote:
Low-Gain wrote:

Well.. considering most sub-rackrails are 84hp. that would require me to make a rackmountable sub rack frame. from there i just have to put in the 6U rack rails.. and it should fit perfectly. just seems to make more sense to make it into a 6U rack mount first, then install a 2 row Eurorack. Or a single row of 5Umodules w/ a 1U utility rack below or above.
Waz
Low-Gain wrote:
Waz wrote:
Low-Gain wrote:

Well.. considering most sub-rackrails are 84hp. that would require me to make a rackmountable sub rack frame. from there i just have to put in the 6U rack rails.. and it should fit perfectly. just seems to make more sense to make it into a 6U rack mount first, then install a 2 row Eurorack. Or a single row of 5Umodules w/ a 1U utility rack below or above.

Not true. You can get some nice euro rails from Mouser I believe, and cut them to size. Once I buy a bigger case for my bought euro modules, I'm going to buy some rails for my euro DIY stuff and put them in the RAST.
panda30y
Waz picked me up a RAST, so I'll pick that up from him when we get together next. But I'm going to stain the wood a darker red-ish color, and then rack my Wiard 300 in it.

Low-Gain nice to see you on the forum. Your website helped me out a lot when I was modding my gameboy!
Low-Gain
Waz wrote:

Not true. You can get some nice euro rails from Mouser I believe, and cut them to size. Once I buy a bigger case for my bought euro modules, I'm going to buy some rails for my euro DIY stuff and put them in the RAST.

Feel free to share that mouser part number.
I found their vector stuff.. but it looked like it was all 84HP stuff.
I'm making a small order from Schroff for my prorotype cases and so i'll have 84HP rail. I was thinking of getting an A-100G6 rack case since it already had the psu build in. Or like i said.. mounting some of my 5U stuff in them.

For me, i like the idea of if being a 6U rack. it will serve more functions in the studio. Sure i could find longer euro rail and just run it all the way across and buy myself a couple more HP. but i think i'm willing to give up that extra couple of hp to make it so i rack my other gear in it as well.

How ever, just thinking out loud. I have an old mixer chassis that i dont use that uses Eurorail.. suppose i could cut that up and use that.

I think out loud too much. haha
i can always buy more shelves and make different versions. smile
Low-Gain
panda30y wrote:

Low-Gain nice to see you on the forum. Your website helped me out a lot when I was modding my gameboy!

It's nice to be here! smile As you can imagine i'm stirring up some ideas for Eurorack stuff now that i've put the 8-bit stuff aside for a while.

Very glad my tutorials were of service to you! smile
Low-Gain
Got my rails in... Literally takes like 20mins to do this. smile I'll get a video and or just a picture tutorial and put it up asap. I'm planning on building like 3-5 of them as gifts for friends.

Low-Gain
Finished another Rast... Upon dropping $60 on rails for 5U stuff and not being happy w/ the product.. i'm going to make a CAD file of the rails and get quotes on getting a better quality product made. That being said.. here is my 40min build... I used a +/-15V supply PCB that i had laying around, and purchased at power distro board... I've been meaning to put together a more simplified power distro PCB as this one is complete overkill for the rack.

Here you can see it being used to Sequence a Circuit Bent Yamaha DD-7 at the Experimental Garage Sale in Chicago Last weekend.

dude
i'm fucking getting a rast. i am going to make my own damn case. you guys are an inspiration. the only things i can foresee as trouble are getting the right rails lengths (i have a bunch of shit laying around which can likely fill the gaps) and then a lid/cover for front and back in order to carry around for gigs at least somewhat safely. any ideas? then i will need to put some rubber feet...
oh this is the perfect thing for a weekend warrior project.

amerika fuk yeah! SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4