MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wavetable editors
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Wavetable editors
cloudscapes
Hey all,

Is there such a thing as what I'm looking for? A visual software editor of sorts, I can see a wave, manipulate it, maybe even draw-out a wave or import an image of a wave, then have the editor export it to text data with adjustable formatting? Like, want it signed or unsigned, 1024 sample size, or 256, etc.

Excel is a no-go. I want to be able to see a wave, and visually edit it (or import an image of one) before it's turned into numbers. Also, I'm bad at math. I can picture and draw-out funky looking waves I want, but wouldn't know where to begin with "mathing" them out.

I'd program my own tool that imports a bitmap and spits out numbers, but VB doesn't work with win 7 anymore. And don't want to do it if somehting already exists.

Thanks! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
snaper
cloudscapes wrote:
Hey all,

Is there such a thing as what I'm looking for? A visual software editor of sorts, I can see a wave, manipulate it, maybe even draw-out a wave or import an image of a wave, then have the editor export it to text data with adjustable formatting? Like, want it signed or unsigned, 1024 sample size, or 256, etc.

Excel is a no-go. I want to be able to see a wave, and visually edit it (or import an image of one) before it's turned into numbers. Also, I'm bad at math. I can picture and draw-out funky looking waves I want, but wouldn't know where to begin with "mathing" them out.

I'd program my own tool that imports a bitmap and spits out numbers, but VB doesn't work with win 7 anymore. And don't want to do it if somehting already exists.

Thanks! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Excel...ouch, could you explain this? grin
d.simon
i don't know for sure...but I'd bet one of the soft synths can export its wavetables. Reaktor/max/PD maybe as a general purpose solution?
For example look at serum:
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/how-to-create-a-morphing-waveta ble-pad-sound-in-xfer-records-serum-621094
d.simon
d.simon
audioterm:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62916&sid=4015c6b900 44c4d5d3b41e84cf42249a
d.simon
sorry. I'm on a "internet search" roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtkViDlVx-Y
d.simon
aaannnnd I guess for me the real question is : how do people decide which waves to put in a wavetable?

then q. on licencing issues -
- lots of wt synths have tables from other synths. Do they just sample the synths?
- sampling an analog synth vs. dumping another wt sythns tables.
- Can you dump another wt synths tables and use them?
- I guess you could, but what are the ethical issues about that?

anyway not to derail your thread...but these are my questions pertaining to wt synths. Probably another "internet search" would give me som ansers. hmmm.....
jhulk
auduioterm is the best as you can do any sample then set the wavetable to 8bits i do them that way for the asr10 and others and you can use them for the harvetstman piston honda mk2
Kosalos
1. get a DIY Orgone Accumulator
2. download the Processing app I wrote called Orgone Audition
(search under author: Kosalos, subject "Orgone Accumulator: the best Wavetable Oscillator"
3. Audition is a Processing app that lets you visualize and hear (via the Orgone) > 4300 wave tables in the AKWF library.
4. the app lets you design your own wave tables, and export the resultant data to a plain text file as 512 16 bit signed samples. You hear the wave table in real time as you edit..
5. The app works without an Orgone, but that's not as much fun!
batchas
Kosalos wrote:
1. get a DIY Orgone Accumulator
2. download the Processing app I wrote called Orgone Audition
(search under author: Kosalos, subject "Orgone Accumulator: the best Wavetable Oscillator"
3. Audition is a Processing app that lets you visualize and hear (via the Orgone) > 4300 wave tables in the AKWF library.
4. the app lets you design your own wave tables, and export the resultant data to a plain text file as 512 16 bit signed samples. You hear the wave table in real time as you edit..
5. The app works without an Orgone, but that's not as much fun!

Could you please show in a video how it works?
I never got it to work back then, but as the idea is really great I recently gave it a new try (with the last version supposed to also upload to the Teensy), but still no success:
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEzLPUnPAM

Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEzLPUnPAM
No waverform audition and no upload.

Thank you very much in advance.
Kosalos
Sorry you are having trouble.
I would like to help, but all of my synthesizer equipment has been dismantled for 2 years (needed to make room for other hobbies).
I'll try to get it set up again..
It seems from your video that the serial connection is okay (you are receiving real-time OA settings, so the transmission of wave tables should be okay as well).
I barely remember the OA code, but I think the wave tables were only heard if the OA was set to a particular mode via the X, FM and Fix buttons.
Bet you already tried that.
I'll post again after any progress.
Kosalos
1.Found the attached folders on my Mac.
AuditionVersion4 and companion Orgone2.0 code
2. downloaded Arduino from: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
confirmed it runs okay
3. downloaded TeensyDuino from: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html
4. launched Arduino, loaded Orgone code, set <Tools><Boards Manager> to "Teensy 3.2/3.1"
5. did 'Verify", then "Upload", then Quit Arduino.
6. double clicked on OrgoneAudition4.pde to launch Processing
-------------------------
now I am finally caught up with your environment.

Now, on the Orgone:
1. set the 3 waveform knobs to 0%
2. input a steady CV voltage to 'In', and adjust Tune for middle range tone.
3. click the X,FM,and Fix buttons so that the Audition program displays '1' for OscMode.
4. set 'Position' knob to 0% so that waveform #1 is selected alone
5. set 'Detune' knob to 50%
6. set 'Index' knob to 0%
7. set 'Lock' button (below Tune knob) to OFF.
8. set the Waveform#1 button to OFF
9. click the 'Prime' button until "OFF-OFF-OFF' setting

Now, on the Audition Program:
1. set Oscillator Mode to 1
2. set Waveform Bank to 1
3. set Wave table Index to 1
4.click on different positions on the blue slider at the top of the app to select different AKWF waveforms. You should hear each one immediately.
5. 'Paint' a waveform by clicking/dragging mouse over the waveform graphic

6. read the instructions at the top of OrgoneAudition4.pde

good luck.
tell me how it turns out.

update: tried this again this morning to ensure the OA remembered.
I had to click the 'Prime' button to cycle back to "OFF-OFF'OFF" setting,
and then everything was okay.
I'm using Arduino 1.8.9, Teensyduino 1.4.6, Processing 3.3.5

EATyourGUITAR
the built in editor in serum is really good and also missing some important features at the same time. give it a try. asking what to put in a wavetable is like asking what to sample. asking what presets to use in a song. asking what harmonic content is the best. wavetables are often about imitating sounds that you have heard before. to that extent, you need the same things you need when you play with any synth. you also have an opportunity to move things forward beyond the limitations of traditional subtractive synthesis to generate new sounds or at least make a collection of your favorite sounds.
batchas
Thanx a lot Kosalos for your time we're not worthy
I'll try asap the version in your last post, following the steps described thumbs up
pfzzz
I use 2 programs for that, wave edit by synthesis tech. http://synthtech.com/waveedit/

And serum for fine-tuning, removing morphing

Just thought would be a good idea to add it to the list of editors, free and open source, no image import though
SampleGrinder
Epsilon
SampleWrench
Awave

Used these for transwaves on the ASR10
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1