MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD Aperture - Variable Width Bandpass Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author WMD Aperture - Variable Width Bandpass Filter
cheliosheart

Seems like there has been little chatter about this filter around here but it's time to get excited! Per WMD's latest Instagram post these are dropping next week!

http://instagram.com/p/BDV-n4gQYN_/

Sounds sweet from the few demos that came from NAMM. Lots of control points. Love the feedback input! What say you filter heads?

------------------------------------
*EDIT - UPDATED INFO

Here are specs taken from the product page here

-Variable bandwidth via tactile and CV controls
-Eight pole filter core
-Independent resonance and self oscillation of both sides of the filter with CV
-Feedback circuit with two modes and CV
-Input level VCA
-Additional CV for opening the band either side of Center
-V/oct tracking
-Temperature compensated
-Dry / Wet mix for parallel filtering sounds

Controls

*LEDs along the top indicate width and position of the filter

Knobs

Frequency: Controls the center frequency of the band
Width: Controls the width of the band.
Freq CV: Attenuverter for the CV input for precise control over the Frequency of the filter.
HP Res: Controls the amount of resonance on the High Pass side of the filter.
LP Res: Controls the amount of resonance on the Low Pass side of the filter.
Input Level: Attenuates the input level. Unity at 12o'clock, total gain of 6 dB
Feedback: Controls the amount of feedback for more self oscillation and squelchy behavior.
Dry/Wet Mix: You know what this means wink
Width CV: Attenuverter for CV control over the width of the filter.

Jacks

1V/Oct: The aperture’s cutoff frequency will track at 1V/oct. This is the input for that.
In LVL: Input for CV control over the input level attenuation.
Freq: CV input for control over the cuttoff frequency.
Width: CV input for control over the width of the band.
FDBK: CV input for control over the feedback amount.
Input: This is where your audio signal you want to filter goes.
Output: This is where the filtered audio signal comes out.
HPCV: CV input for independent control over the cutoff frequency on the high pass side of the filter.
LPCV: CV input for independent control over the cutoff frequency on the low pass side of the filter.
HP Res: CV input for control over the resonance on the high pass side of the filter.
LP Res: CV input for control over the resonance on the low pass side of the filter.

Current:
+12V = 120mA
-12V = 100mA

Depth: 25mm including power
Width: 12 HP
Height: 3U Eurorack

Input Gain: -90dB to +6dB
Nominal Input: 10Vpp
HPF Cutoff Freq Range: 0.5 Hz to 50kHz
LPF Cutoff Freq Range: 0.1Hz to 25kHz
Poles: 8
-----------------------------------
kuxaan-sum
Got to hear Tyler perform with this last week.
This thing ROX!!!

That Width control = w00t
Interesting sounds and the cv control is SlayerBadger!

Will be adding to my filter arsenal.
gonya
what case is he using in that video?
Crandall1
I have one. It is the bomb. I have nothing bad to say about it, and those who know me know that's a rare thing.
sensanalog
Tyler gave me an in depth demo of it and it sounds fantastic. There are a ton of filters out there but this hits a niche that isn't quite there. The smooth control over filter types, via cv and the ability to feedback on itself creates some wonderful grit. Great module!
coolshirtdotjpg
I have too many filters already, but this sounds amazing!
tebs213
That feedback in the performance demo from WMD makes me want this very badly. Seems like this will be one of the more original filters in euro.
windspirit
Gotta say I have heard this in person too and it sounds absolutely stellar. Having both filters resonate AND an overall feedback control, all with CV, is pretty great.
thisisprisma
i have put it and move it around on my rack on MG so many times... it hit me since namm... now is time to buy it!
sloth713
The sound character of the Aperture seems to me from the videos like a tamer version of the uHC. And I love my uHC (sounds and looks) so I am stoked WMD is doing this because more people can get these awesome sounds in an easier to control package with graphics that people wont bitch (too much) about. Also the LED light bar at the top is a great idea nanners
thisisprisma
they just uploaded a video to youtube:

WMD Aperture First Listen
Hovercraft
thisisprisma wrote:

Umm, yeah--if they could turn off the smoke machine and the colored lights, and just explain how the module works--that'd be great.
djhyperspace
Sounds fucked (in a good way)
Futuresound
Hovercraft wrote:
thisisprisma wrote:

Umm, yeah--if they could turn off the smoke machine and the colored lights, and just explain how the module works--that'd be great.

But the colored lights are in syyyyyyyyyyyync!
windspirit
Hovercraft wrote:
thisisprisma wrote:

You can't tell how the module works from the panel? Its pretty straightforward.
gonkulator
Heard it at NAMM, complete surprise. The kind of filter I have been looking for forever it seems.
cheliosheart
*edit - added specs to the first post

This filter could be a classic in the making!
Manzanedo
I am filter shopping at the moment and I am currently leaning toward Three Sisters. This may take the top spot. Damn it.
Ras Thavas
Fairly long demo of the Aperture from it's developer, featuring the overload/distortion side of it, which this filter seems to do well. From the demos out there, it seems to sound very good in non-distorted mode as well...

tebs213
Ras Thavas wrote:
Fairly long demo of the Aperture from it's developer, featuring the overload/distortion side of it, which this filter seems to do well. From the demos out there, it seems to sounds very good in non-distorted mode as well...

This demo is what made me feel pumped about this module. I wish more manufacturers would do more musical demos in addition to the technical ones!
thisisprisma

wmd just uploaded it to youtube, sounds really good!
sloth713
thisisprisma wrote:

wmd just uploaded it to youtube, sounds really good!

What is a death kitten?
gonkulator
Some of them are supposed to arrive at AH tomorrow. Rockin' Banana! nanners
thisisprisma
cheliosheart
Got mine in the mail today! Did not get much time into yet but just playing around a bit there is quite a bit of control. Certainly has a distinct aggressive edge with its resonance and feedback, acidic sounds aplenty. But with all the CV control seems like there are lots of ways to get creative with this filter.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4