MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author Introducing ADDAC221 & ADDAC222 CV-to-MIDI modules
Paranormal Patroler

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Paranormal Patroler
So where are the gate inputs on 222 ? Knowing Andre, the fact that there are no gate inputs means he has done some weird stuff here. I presume it understands CV values that correspond to MIDI Notes and automatically fires Gates when those are reached? It also has Note Off instead of Note On and the switches show that each "track" can do polyphony (1 - 6 voices). So it receives CV input and plays the MIDI notes until you send it a gate to stop the note?

A bit unorthodox but interesting.

It'll be a big issue if you want to use a straight sequencer which also fires its gates in-sync with the notes. One point I need to make: since you have the USB port on the front please please please allow for an option for the user to program an offset to the gate timing. It has been a huge issue with the Doepfer a-192-2's and it would save a lot of people a lot of trouble to be able to use their sequencers (e.g. Metropolis) directly with this module. Additionally it could help "swap" the functionality from Note Off to Note On if people prefer it. seriously, i just don't get it
flo
Wow! Addac is on a run! Looks like they're gutting out the VC computer. That is a good thing IMO, more specific and less generic thumbs up

Cheers Guinness ftw!
maltemark
I guess the midi in/out will be needing special cables?

i use my doepfer cv to midi all the time. Great thing to have a cv mangling mayhem machine to control 16 cc's on the TR-8, the output of which goes into an envelope follower etc. to generate the upstream cv signals that in the end ends up modulating the tr8's midi cc. The doepfer is a bit cumbersome though, needing a computer to dial in the presets and so on. A bit off-putting. Maybe this implementation is better?
visible cow
The 221 looks great. Would love to try this out with audiomulch.
borris_yeltzun
they should swap the presets knob with the usb port on 221
so you could use something like a right angle usb A cable and have easy access to presets

ima definitely gunna buy 1 or 2 either way tho
Paranormal Patroler
Had a big discussion with Andre about these on SB (sorry Andre, I know I'm opinionated but I'm just trying to help) and all.I can say is I'm really excited.
Eudox
Well my Octatrack receiving Voltage Control from the modular.

THAT should be something.
necrobious
All in on the 221. I've been looking at ways to control the midi CC params of a BigSky peddle, was set on the A-192-1 until I saw the 221.
A few questions:

1. how are thethe CC values set?
2. are there latency or flooding issues?
3. price?
Paranormal Patroler
necrobious wrote:
All in on the 221. I've been looking at ways to control the midi CC params of a BigSky peddle, was set on the A-192-1 until I saw the 221.
A few questions:

3. price?

1. You use a nice computer app which is very friendly
2. Haven't managed to flood mine yet, and I'm trying to
3. These aren't available yet hihi
ersatzplanet
I know I'm really old school here, but I wish it had a DIN-5 out instead of the USB. If it had a header that could connect to a expander module that had the DIN-5, that would be useful. I would love to dive some gear directly without the need for anything in between.

A module like this driving my Nord G1 or older rack synths would be very nice. Paring the ADC222 with an Axoloti would be a good combo too.
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet wrote:
I know I'm really old school here, but I wish it had a DIN-5 out instead of the USB. If it had a header that could connect to a expander module that had the DIN-5, that would be useful. I would love to dive some gear directly without the need for anything in between.

A module like this driving my Nord G1 or older rack synths would be very nice. Paring the ADC222 with an Axoloti would be a good combo too.

I respectfully disagree. I love MIDI and always have, but I honestly like the TRS fad and I think it's about time we moved away from the old DIN option. TRS not only allows manufacturers to save space on their front panel, it gives way to MIDI patching between modules that use it and is actually the economic step forward as the old MIDI never utilized pins 4 and 5 to begin with.

Additionally I firmly believe that since Korg opened the flood doors, it's time someone steps in and makes a small female-female plug that accepts TRS jack on one side and male MIDI DIN on the other. I'm 100% sure that's doable, I just haven't found the manufacturer who would be up for mass producing it.

I don't know if ADDAC plans on making a TRS > MIDI DIN module to accommodate old-school users.

EDIT

I just realized you said "DIN-5 instead of USB" lol oh boy, now I feel stupid!
maltemark
Is it usb only?? that is only pure stupidity.
Paranormal Patroler
maltemark wrote:

Nope, both modules sport TRS MIDI In and Out (check the lower right corner of the panels on the images above) and I think ADDAC will provide the proper cables along with the modules, but don't hold me to that. I just assume that's the case. The USB acts as a medium for programming the appropriate CC parameters and other stuff and also acts as a MIDI Thru.
ersatzplanet
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
maltemark wrote:

Nope, both modules sport TRS MIDI In and Out (check the lower right corner of the panels on the images above) and I think ADDAC will provide the proper cables along with the modules, but don't hold me to that. I just assume that's the case. The USB acts as a medium for programming the appropriate CC parameters and other stuff and also acts as a MIDI Thru.

I did not see the TRS connection. That at least allows the making of a conversion cable a lot easier. Getting and soldering on a USB connection is not as easy.
Paranormal Patroler
Yeah, I think it's now easier to find a TRS-MIDI cable on the market. Doesn't Korg offer those as standalone ? The Volcas use them.
necrobious
necrobious wrote:
A few questions:

3. price?

1. You use a nice computer app which is very friendly
2. Haven't managed to flood mine yet, and I'm trying to
3. These aren't available yet hihi

Perfect, ty! thumbs up
Sinamsis
These modules are EXACTLY what I've been looking for (I was looking at the Doepfer modules for a while). Do we have an ETA on these?
Eudox
Andre gave me more precisions about how the 222 works by email. They've been added to a short FAQ on the product page.

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac222

The wrapping of the notes and the "sample and hold" functionality (with the gated "notes off") seem impressive (on 4 channels at once!).
Paranormal Patroler
Keep in mind that you can have both NoteOn and NoteOff set up for the same track/voice simultaneously. This gives you the option of doing c r a z y things with your rhythms by allowing different patterns for when the note fires and when it stops!

If you have any questions regarding the wrap around feel free to post them here and I'll see if I can answer them as best I can.
Eudox
The module goes way beyond CV to midi conversion, and i can now imagine many creative uses of it indeed!

With a well chosen sequence of gates you can indefinitely add variation to a 8 steps sequence for example, if i'm not wrong.

Anyway, the module deserves a proper demo!
Paranormal Patroler
The module is very playable. I can't do a demo right now but what I can offer is a live half hour set next week in which the ADDAC222 will be the centerpiece. If the video is worth its salt I'll be happy to repost it here. oops
Sinamsis
So I just ordered a 221/222. Super excited to get these. Is there a manual for these?
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
So I just ordered a 221/222. Super excited to get these. Is there a manual for these?

Not that I know of but saying that a) they are very straightforward to use, b) I'm always happy to help with any questions you might be having, and c) I'm positive ADDAC will make another great looking and in-depth manual. So no worries about that!

d) they also make great demo videos that go in-depth as well.
Sinamsis
Dude, you just opened the flood gates.....

So in the bottom right, there's a group of inputs labelled "all notes off/note ons".... what exactly is that? is that for incoming gates/triggers? I'm also still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the note off inputs.... obviously I know how it works in the MIDI world, and I understand somewhat how you would use it with the polyphonic setup and to choke notes. But basically let's say I want to use my Rene to sequence a hardware synth of soft synth (not imaginative, I know)... how would I do that?

Also, it looks like the 221 sends USB MIDI. Is the 222 USB just for programming or does it also transmit MIDI?

The 221 description mentions connecting several 222's to it using it's thru functionality. How would one do this physically? A TRS cable? And why? To only use one USB cable?

Is there a programmer for the 221?

Have you tried audio rate modulation? I can't imagine this could work well, but I'd be pleasantly surprise if it did.

Any stepping or lag that you can notice?

Sorry, a million questions I know. I kind of bought this with little info available. I know I went out on a limb. But its exactly the solution I've been looking for (I've actually been saving a case just for these modules since I heard about them). I'm really hoping it's worth it, I suspect it will be. I love the few ADDAC modules I have.
monads
So when will dealers get these? Drooling....
Sinamsis
I ordered directly from ADDAC.
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a tough week for me. Let's go through your questions:

Sinamsis wrote:
So in the bottom right, there's a group of inputs labelled "all notes off/note ons".... what exactly is that? is that for incoming gates/triggers? I'm also still having some difficulty wrapping my head around the note off inputs.... obviously I know how it works in the MIDI world, and I understand somewhat how you would use it with the polyphonic setup and to choke notes.

You can set the Note On/ Note Off in a per track basis (re: you have four tracks on the module is what I mean by that). So you have two options: a track either recognizes when you reach a MIDI note (think typical MIDI tuning of black and white keys) so it fires a NoteOn for every note you reach just via CV and you set the number of notes you want it reach before it "wraps around" (1-3-6). Or you can set the track as to expect a NoteOn gate to start the note as you would on any of the other CV-to-MIDI modules available. The cool thing here is that you also can control NoteOffs while doing that so you can actually control when each note shuts up/chokes! That means you can have a specific trigger sequence making the gist of your note pattern and then send a different, modulatable sequence that changes the duration of those notes. Plus other coooooooooool stuff. I absolutely love this. Oh, and it's very easy to swap between the two functionalities.

Quote:
But basically let's say I want to use my Rene to sequence a hardware synth of soft synth (not imaginative, I know)... how would I do that?

I don't know how a Rene works. But any sequencer ... you just plug your sequencer's CV output to the CV In. If you don't plug anything to the velocity input you can still use the knob to control it. You plug your gates to the NoteOff at the bottom if you want to use the wrap-around/auto-detect-notes method or if you want something more straightforward you plug your gates to the Note-On input on the right side and set the track accordingly. You don't need to fire Note-Offs, it will know as soon as the Gate is low that it's a Note-Off but that doesn't mean you can't do both hihi

Quote:
Also, it looks like the 221 sends USB MIDI. Is the 222 USB just for programming or does it also transmit MIDI?

USB can be set as a MIDI Output to plug to your computer and you can also make sure it transmits (Thru) whatever is coming in at the MIDI Input.

Quote:
The 221 description mentions connecting several 222's to it using it's thru functionality. How would one do this physically? A TRS cable? And why? To only use one USB cable?

Yeah, I use a small TRS-TRS 3.5mm cable to plug the 221 to the 222 and only use one TRS-to-MIDI cable to reach my hardware synth.

Quote:
Is there a programmer for the 221?

I have a beta version of it. For that you have to contact ADDAC and see how he plans to release it. I assume it will be made available through the site. It's very easy to use though.

Quote:
Have you tried audio rate modulation? I can't imagine this could work well, but I'd be pleasantly surprise if it did.

Ha! Good question. I have of course tried everything hihi Audio rate makes MIDI synth go .. wha?!? after a bit. They just stuff that sounds like Black MIDI. Google that and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Any stepping or lag that you can notice?

Ah, not that I know of. I honestly tried fragging the module for hours. My synth gave up far sooner than the module did (it never did actually).

Quote:
Sorry, a million questions I know. I kind of bought this with little info available. I know I went out on a limb. But its exactly the solution I've been looking for (I've actually been saving a case just for these modules since I heard about them). I'm really hoping it's worth it, I suspect it will be. I love the few ADDAC modules I have.

I love ADDAC stuff. Totally ahead of the curve, right ?!? Yeah, I think this is a must for everyone into CV-to-MIDI. I'm talking straight from the heart here: this set is soooooo playable. I love how you can mess about with Velocity and octaves and add or remove voices. It's brilliant is what it is!
Sinamsis
Paranormal Patroler
Thanks for the in depth response. I can't wait to get this bad boy! I think my Propagate will play well with this. I think it's the last step to make my studio a truly modular set up where all equipment can interact seemlessly. I've always been attracted to things like the TTA Z DSP but now all my hardware and software effects can respond to CV. That alone is mind blowing. But also the thought of adding LFO and random to more limited fixed architecture synths, generative sequencing, etc is really exciting.

Regarding the programmer Andre emailed me to say he will send me the required software. My modules should ship tomorrow. Hopefully within the next week or two I will have them!
maltemark
They can't be serious to be only piping out midi from the cv-to-midi interface through a computer USB port? I can't be arsed dragging a computer into the studio each time I want to interact the modular with the rest of the synths ... Major dealbreaker in that case.
Sinamsis
maltemark wrote:
They can't be serious to be only piping out midi from the cv-to-midi interface through a computer USB port? I can't be arsed dragging a computer into the studio each time I want to interact the modular with the rest of the synths ... Major dealbreaker in that case.

Ha, someone else mentioned this above.... the bottom right corner has the MIDI I/O via TRS. So you could use TRS to MIDI. I personally am glad that there's USB, but for those averse to it, there are other options.

Like PP said, ADDAC are on some next level shit. Haha, they're pretty far ahead of the curve. The modules are pricey, but well worth it IMO.
maltemark
YES REAL MIDI :)
Paranormal Patroler
maltemark wrote:
YES REAL MIDI smile

Hej,

yeah the input and output are both TRS-to-MIDI and ADDAC provides the cabling (at least I think so) so you're totally covered. They go for the Korg-like type of TRS-to-MIDI mapping so it can also work with stuff like the Volcas etc etc.

Wicked! SlayerBadger!
Paranormal Patroler

Just used one row out of Hainbach's Doepfer 6U for a gig in Berlin. ADDAC 222 was the star of the show, making jazz sounds from a modular system possible! Totally hands on, I had to change my playing style right before the gig due to the 3sec reverberant space. Just flipped from Note Off automatic note change to Note On for all channels which meant I only fired notes within greater intervals, giving much needed breathing space to the performance (far better with such lush reverb). At first I was aiming for very fast swing-like patterns which would've sounded like mud in there.

Flipped back to Note Off right before the grand finale to create tension. Changed MIDI channels, octaves, velocities ... everything right at your fingertips. Man, I absolutely LOVE this module; it's sooo playable.

Here's a quick mellow part up on instagram.
Sinamsis
Finally got around to installing the modules and tried to get them up and running... however, I get an error when trying to install the software to configure the 221. Anyone have a copy of the software for Mac?
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry, I know nothing about Mac stuff.

Irrelevant to the issue, but relevant to the modules. Remember the instagram post from above? Here's one from a show on Friday. Very similar patch, but the 223 is so hands on you can really do crazy stuff with it.

Check out some cool licks here!

Considering my previous post you can see how much of a different sound I had intended for Berlin. Changing how the ADDAC223 responding to gates is extremely versatile ... SlayerBadger! Totally love this module.
Sinamsis
Nice! I filmed my first go with the 221/222. I used it to control my Prophet 12. Sequence came from Popcorn, controlled by Bastl Popcorn. Various gates for Zularic/Numeric Repetitors and Confundo Funkitus. Wogglebug into 221, but I had to rely on the presets as my editor isn't working. Managed to find a preset where I could control distortion and spread of the P12, and I think filter cutoff maybe? Haha.

Eudox
Impressive vid!

I hope the problem with the editor on Mac will be fixed... i'm planning to use a 221 to place under CV an Octatrack.

I can imagine a whole lot off presets on the 221... one for scanning live recordings (like an 8 tracks 111 wav player!), one to make an outstanding FX box for my 6U, etc. Sky is the limit.

Sinamsis
Oh I'm sure it wasn't the editor software specifically that was the problem. It just got corrupted in the transfer. Looks like Andre sent me another, which I will try out later today I hope.
Sinamsis
Finally up and running:

Paranormal Patroler
The Complex Random pairs nicely with the 221, right ? hihi
Sinamsis
The Complex Random pairs nicely with the 221, right ? hihi

So awesome. Blinds is nice with it too. This is going to be a lot of fun. Now if I can only figure out how to better program this damn Prophet 2002.
Daisuk
Anyone tried hooking this up to a VJ/video software yet? I'd love to see how it works. Mr. Green
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:
Anyone tried hooking this up to a VJ/video software yet? I'd love to see how it works. Mr. Green

No video stuff, but you can always visit ... hihi (although I wanna make some demos soon, so I guess a GoPro is in order).
Daisuk
Daisuk wrote:

No video stuff, but you can always visit ... hihi (although I wanna make some demos soon, so I guess a GoPro is in order).

I'm in the process of ordering it actually. They're not the quickest to reply to emails though. razz
revoltcrews
so curious about the 222.

i've been reading up on it.
i'd love to let this run say my jp-08 from my modular.

anymore vids or usage or tutorials out there..
such an awesome module!
Paranormal Patroler
I need to get a camera first for tutorials. Do you have any specific questions ? I'd be happy to answer them.
revoltcrews
I need to get a camera first for tutorials. Do you have any specific questions ? I'd be happy to answer them.

hey thanks for chiming in..!
i guess no very specific questions.

would just love to see & hear it action with a bit more focus. a clear demo
of setting up a patch routing to your fav poly synth. and boom boom shake the room.
Daisuk
Got my 221 today! From what I've gathered reading about it, all the inputs are supposedly assigned to the corresponding MIDI channels (so input 1 MIDI channel 1, input 2 MIDI channel 2 etc), but all of the inputs seem to fire on MIDI channel 1 here, which makes setup a bit difficult. No manual or software to go with it yet (that I've found), so anyone got any clues on how to set it up to send on different channels? hmmm.....

It says this in the FAQ for the module.

Quote:
Can you send CV>CC to different channels at the same time in the same preset?

There’s an App where you can program each preset of the module, for each of the module's input channel (1 to 10) you can set a cc number and the midi channel.
So yes, independent midi channels for each input.

But it doesn't say which app does this. w00t
Sinamsis
ADDAC will send you the programmer.... there are different presets, I don't recall what preset 1 is, but the software will program it to do whatever you want. Shoot an email out to them, or if you have a Mac PM me and I can send it to you.
Daisuk
Sinamsis wrote:
ADDAC will send you the programmer.... there are different presets, I don't recall what preset 1 is, but the software will program it to do whatever you want. Shoot an email out to them, or if you have a Mac PM me and I can send it to you.

Ah, thanks, done! I'm on Windows 7, unfortunately. :(
Paranormal Patroler
Yeah, ADDAC should fix you up. thumbs up
Daisuk
Yeah, ADDAC should fix you up. thumbs up

Got a mail from Andre saying he's still working on the Win version. Hopefully it won't be too long. smile
revoltcrews
anyone with some nice clear footage yet of the 222 creating 4 voice
polyphony from their modular ?
bout to pull the trigger on the 222. but a lil on the edge because of lack of clear demo.
Daisuk
Can any of you guys with a 221 show me the interface for the Mac application (a screenshot, perhaps)? Andre sent me a link to the Windows version now, but I have absolutely no clue how to use it beyond setting MIDI in/out devices. lol
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
anyone with some nice clear footage yet of the 222 creating 4 voice polyphony from their modular ? bout to pull the trigger on the 222. but a lil on the edge because of lack of clear demo.

I'm really terrible when it comes to videos (although I know I need to work on it). What's the hold back though? I've been playing 4-voice polyphonic and more with ease. I'm sorry I can't be of actual help by making a proper demo, I really wish I could put the effort and do one now instead of later, but I can't. What I ought to do is upload a couple of my live gigs where the 222 is the start of the show. Would that help? Let me know.

Daisuk wrote:
Can any of you guys with a 221 show me the interface for the Mac application (a screenshot, perhaps)? Andre sent me a link to the Windows version now, but I have absolutely no clue how to use it beyond setting MIDI in/out devices. lol

Did you install it ? Is it running on your Windows system ?
Daisuk
It's just an .exe file, so it's nothing to install, it seems. It's running on Windows 7 64-bit. It shows up just like this:

I've tried to bring forward the windows in the program by using the window menu, but nothing appears. seriously, i just don't get it

When I right click the file, and press "troubleshoot compatibility" it says "the specified path does not contain a valid program".
Sinamsis
revoltcrews wrote:
anyone with some nice clear footage yet of the 222 creating 4 voice
polyphony from their modular ?
bout to pull the trigger on the 222. but a lil on the edge because of lack of clear demo.

I think I already posted one of these but here's another. Not sure what you mean clear footage.... Do you want a step by step tutorial sort of thing?

revoltcrews
yeah. cool vide for sure.
but with a completely new and exciting 4x6 cv to polyphony module.
a focused demo would be awesome, thats all.

i'm pulling the trigger soon anyway.. cheers
Sinamsis
revoltcrews wrote:

Ha, yeah, I'm not qualified for that currently haha. I'm still learning it's inner workings.
revoltcrews
i'm super excited for this module. thanks for the vids! post more!
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

ADDAC has some nice videos of their other modules. I'm sure it'll turn up sooner or later, they go through everything it seems. I presume they're busy preparing for Super Booth though hihi

Feel free to ask any questions you might have here, if I can I will answer them as soon as possible. I pretty much know the 222 by now.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

ADDAC has some nice videos of their other modules. I'm sure it'll turn up sooner or later, they go through everything it seems. I presume they're busy preparing for Super Booth though hihi

Feel free to ask any questions you might have here, if I can I will answer them as soon as possible. I pretty much know the 222 by now.

rad!! will do.. SlayerBadger!
Daisuk
Could anyone with a Mac and the ADDAC221 be so kind and help me setup a config file with the Mac app for it and send it to me? I want all the inputs of the ADDAC221 to send on its respective MIDI channel (so input one on MIDI chan 1, input 2 on MIDI chan 2 - it can send the same CC on all channels, say CC#50 or something, doesn't matter).

If anyone could help me do this (I suppose the app creates its own preset/config file?), I would be very, very greatful! That is, if the config file for the Mac app works for Win, and maybe that isn't the case, but worth a shot anyway!

I can't for the life of me get the Windows config app to work (tried on 3 different Windows computers now), and ADDAC has stopped responding to my emails, so the module just sits here without getting any use. waah
Paranormal Patroler
Hey man, hang in there. Andre is at SuperBooth, I was with him today. Let me ask about the firmware progress and I'll give you a response tomorrow, see if he has an ETA. Mine doesn't work either, I'm on Windows 10.
Daisuk
Hey man, hang in there. Andre is at SuperBooth, I was with him today. Let me ask about the firmware progress and I'll give you a response tomorrow, see if he has an ETA. Mine doesn't work either, I'm on Windows 10.

Yeah, i know he's been super busy with superbooth. Thanks for the heads up! smile I got a reply from Felipe today saying Andre would look into it next week. smile
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:

Yeah, i know he's been super busy with superbooth. Thanks for the heads up! smile I got a reply from Felipe today saying Andre would look into it next week. smile

Yes, he has some super cool new stuff, so it makes sense that he's been super busy soldering. The new mixer is h u g e! I will talk to him about the MIDI stuff though, I really want to know for my self so I promise I'll come back with a better answer as soon as possible. Feel free to PM me if I don't! oops
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry for the double post. Talked with Andre and he promised to work on the Windows version as soon as he is back from SB. It's a dll thing that's been making a mess of it, he explained it to me but it mostly went over my head, but he seems to know what he needs to do to solve the issue.
Daisuk
Sorry for the double post. Talked with Andre and he promised to work on the Windows version as soon as he is back from SB. It's a dll thing that's been making a mess of it, he explained it to me but it mostly went over my head, but he seems to know what he needs to do to solve the issue.

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks a lot for sharing. smile
revoltcrews
oh man... got my 222 on the way!! now just to be super patient as it makes its way across the atlantic ocean.
Neo
I get the note on/off thing, but I need the typical cv/gate input behaviour. Any chance there'll be an update to allow this as an option? Otherwise I guess I'll get a second A-192-2 to give me 4 voice midi out.
Paranormal Patroler
Neo wrote:
I get the note on/off thing, but I need the typical cv/gate input behaviour. Any chance there'll be an update to allow this as an option? Otherwise I guess I'll get a second A-192-2 to give me 4 voice midi out.

Hold down the four buttons for a few seconds. You can then toggle which voice works with a Gate for NoteOn (LED should be on) or with a NoteOff (LED should Off). Settings are automatically saved.

The AllNoteOff input on the right is now waiting for a Gate to fire the note. And you can still send a Note Off via the jacks at the bottom so you can do cool pattern changes.
Daisuk
The new Windows app for 221 is up. It's crashing a lot over here and not really working at all. I would appreciate it if someone else with Windows could try it out and see if it works for them, to see if maybe there's something wrong with my connection (to the module) or computer or whatever. smile

http://media.addacsystem.com/ADDAC221/ADDAC221_C5.zip
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:
The new Windows app for 221 is up. It's crashing a lot over here and not really working at all. I would appreciate it if someone else with Windows could try it out and see if it works for them, to see if maybe there's something wrong with my connection (to the module) or computer or whatever. smile

Working with Andre on it as we speak hihi
Daisuk
Daisuk wrote:

Working with Andre on it as we speak hihi

Awesome! thumbs up Rockin' Banana!
Sinamsis
Neo wrote:

Hold down the four buttons for a few seconds. You can then toggle which voice works with a Gate for NoteOn (LED should be on) or with a NoteOff (LED should Off). Settings are automatically saved.

The AllNoteOff input on the right is now waiting for a Gate to fire the note. And you can still send a Note Off via the jacks at the bottom so you can do cool pattern changes.

Really... when are they going to make a manual for this thing? It's really not as intuitive as one might think. I really have no clue how to use, hence it's been collecting dust.
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
Really... when are they going to make a manual for this thing? It's really not as intuitive as one might think. I really have no clue how to use, hence it's been collecting dust.

Honestly? I find it very straightforward. But fire away dude, I'll be happy to help by answering any questions you might be having.
In terms of programing this different options it's just what I said above:

1) Press & hold all four Note # Off buttons for a few seconds. This should go into the mode where you set up each individual tracks's way of firing

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV. The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

3) After a few seconds the module will return to normal and your settings are retained after power down

--

As far as the rest goes:

- The only confusing part could be the way the MIDI channels are assigned. You have four voices, each one can be on any MIDI channel from 1 - 9. You have Bank A: Channels, 1 2 3 / Bank B: Channels 4 5 6 / Bank C: Channels 7 8 9. You can switch through channels on the fly but you might get hang notes. I use that to my advantage but I want to work with Andre to solve this so that pressing on NoteOff# button sends a Panic! CC to kill all hanging notes for that channel.

- Octave switch transposes your note by 1 or 2 octaves. Semitone knob adds an addition octave by steps of semitones (from 0 to 12)

- Voices switch allows each track to go polyphonic from 1 to 3 or 6 voices. E.g. when in 3 voices, the module will fire a NoteOff for the first NoteOn note when you make it play the 4th consecutive note. So if you have a sequence of C D E F you'll hear C D E at the same time (sustained) and then when F fires you'll lose C. It's good for arps. I use it with monophonic brass sounds where I allow for a little portamento, so when I fire the 3 voice option my trombones try to glide from one note to the next; it sounds nice if done correctly.

Any other questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer!
Sinamsis
I know man, you've been awesome. But is a few pages written out in the form of a PDF too much to ask from the company? They never seem to get around to writing a manual for any of their modules these day it seems. I don't want to watch videos. I want something written I can refer to. The ADDAC 501 is a perfect example, where the way it generates random voltages is anything but intuitive. It's great. But having to wait around for a video was pretty frustrating.

The 207 was another case where the manual was written, but it was a bit of a difficult read, and some things I could never get it to do correctly (transposing with the additional CV input mainly).

The 222 is far from intuitive to me. I would've never known that holding all 4 buttons did something. The 221 is a little more straight forward.

Ha, I'm being a bit of a ball breaker, I know. But this isn't Buchla, I expect an f'ing manual. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE ADDAC modules, and I sing their praises to anyone who'll listen. But the lack of documentation is frustrating to me.
Paranormal Patroler
Sinamsis wrote:
I know man, you've been awesome. But is a few pages written out in the form of a PDF too much to ask from the company? They never seem to get around to writing a manual for any of their modules these day it seems. I don't want to watch videos. I want something written I can refer to. The ADDAC 501 is a perfect example, where the way it generates random voltages is anything but intuitive. It's great. But having to wait around for a video was pretty frustrating.

The 207 was another case where the manual was written, but it was a bit of a difficult read, and some things I could never get it to do correctly (transposing with the additional CV input mainly).

The 222 is far from intuitive to me. I would've never known that holding all 4 buttons did something. The 221 is a little more straight forward.

Ha, I'm being a bit of a ball breaker, I know. But this isn't Buchla, I expect an f'ing manual. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE ADDAC modules, and I sing their praises to anyone who'll listen. But the lack of documentation is frustrating to me.

I did some changes to the 207 manual but they were never implemented. Can't promise anything, but I will talk with Andre about documentation. I love writing and reading manuals, so I know how you feel. That being said I do think the ADDAC videos are top notch and to be fair most people complain for the exact opposite: they can't be arsed to read a manual, they'd rather watch the video so if I had to pick I'd go for the video, from a marketing standpoint at least.

My own opinion is to have a PDF (I actually read those while on the bus) so that I can go through it several times if necessary. But as with everything ADDAC it seems they're opting for a really nice looking result so it takes time to make that happen.

What's important is that the modules work and that we're all happy. 221 software should be available soon for Windows users. I'll ask about documentation. In the meantime, any questions about the 222 or 221, shoot! I really think that the 222 is super straightforward. The only hidden thing is that button option, nothing else to figure out.
revoltcrews

Honestly? I find it very straightforward. But fire away dude, I'll be happy to help by answering any questions you might be having.

1) Press & hold all four Note # Off buttons for a few seconds. This should go into the mode where you set up each individual tracks's way of firing

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV. The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

3) After a few seconds the module will return to normal and your settings are retained after power down

As far as the rest goes:
- The only confusing part could be the way the MIDI channels are assigned. You have four voices, each one can be on any MIDI channel from 1 - 9. You have Bank A: Channels, 1 2 3 / Bank B: Channels 4 5 6 / Bank C: Channels 7 8 9. You can switch through channels on the fly but you might get hang notes. I use that to my advantage but I want to work with Andre to solve this so that pressing on NoteOff# button sends a Panic! CC to kill all hanging notes for that channel.

- Octave switch transposes your note by 1 or 2 octaves. Semitone knob adds an addition octave by steps of semitones (from 0 to 12)

- Voices switch allows each track to go polyphonic from 1 to 3 or 6 voices. E.g. when in 3 voices, the module will fire a NoteOff for the first NoteOn note when you make it play the 4th consecutive note. So if you have a sequence of C D E F you'll hear C D E at the same time (sustained) and then when F fires you'll lose C. It's good for arps. I use it with monophonic brass sounds where I allow for a little portamento, so when I fire the 3 voice option my trombones try to glide from one note to the next; it sounds nice if done correctly.

screenshot of the day for me. thanks Paranormal Patroler
my 222 is making its way here w00t
Sinamsis
Sinamsis wrote:

I did some changes to the 207 manual but they were never implemented. Can't promise anything, but I will talk with Andre about documentation. I love writing and reading manuals, so I know how you feel. That being said I do think the ADDAC videos are top notch and to be fair most people complain for the exact opposite: they can't be arsed to read a manual, they'd rather watch the video so if I had to pick I'd go for the video, from a marketing standpoint at least.

My own opinion is to have a PDF (I actually read those while on the bus) so that I can go through it several times if necessary. But as with everything ADDAC it seems they're opting for a really nice looking result so it takes time to make that happen.

What's important is that the modules work and that we're all happy. 221 software should be available soon for Windows users. I'll ask about documentation. In the meantime, any questions about the 222 or 221, shoot! I really think that the 222 is super straightforward. The only hidden thing is that button option, nothing else to figure out.

Dude, I think you just wrote the 222 manual. Haha. I agree, most people bitch about videos. I think it's a nice touch, but hands down prefer something in writing. Like you, I tend to read manuals in the operating room between surgeries. For modules like most of the MI stuff they're a necessity (I actually get pretty annoyed they're not in PDF format ha). Bottom line, I think it's really short sighted of them to not provide modules. I bought the 221/222 sight unseen, just because I had other ADDAC products and I knew they wouldn't let me down. But most informed consumers want to be able to read the manual before committing. And to be honest.... I shouldn't have to come to the forum to sort out how to make the module work like I would expect a pitch CV to MIDI converter to work. Ha, I've spent quite a few frustrating hours trying to sort it out. Thanks for your help!

But you're right. The modules work, that's all that matters.

As an aside, do you have the changes to the 207 manual you made? I'd love to see them. I sold mine, but kind of regret it. Part of it was the difficulty trying to figure out how to do basic quantizing. But the other issues was the "pickiness" with gate lengths. Short gates would make my unit go nuts. I still debate buying another, as OC isn't a very quick quantizer in comparison. But I hesitate.
Neo
Neo wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the info. Although I'm not sure it's quite what I was after. What I'd like is note on when the gate input goes high, and note off when the gate input goes low. Similar to the way the A-192-2 works. I might be a bit stupid, but it doesn't sound like that's what the 222 does, even with the settings change.
Sinamsis
So I've made a concerted effort to sit down with these modules and put them to use. I can't even get the 221 to register with the editor. Anleton recognizes it. But the editor won't connect. I'm on a Mac. Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: If I unplug all CV inputs it works. A little annoying but I'll take it I guess.
Sinamsis
And shot another shitty video:

revoltcrews

--
As far as the rest goes:

Just got my 222 yesterday!! So,
I'm using it with a newly acquired OB-6 desktop module.
Set up the 222 & straightaway its working fine.
Using Rene on ch1 and Varigate8 on ch2

Couple quick ?'s:

1- am i right in thinking that i can use just my Rene's QCV output into 222 CV input 1, set that channel to 6-voice, and it'll perform the magic polyphony.

2- or, use Rene & Varigate 8 on 2 channels of the 222, set each one to 3 Voice,
and go from there.

I'm definitely hearing some forms of polyphony from my OB-6 desktop.

Running Rene and 1 cv output of Varigate 8 into 222 is getting some cool results.

Any tips for my 2 modular sequencers/222 to achieve chord like fatness.

Cheers!
Paranormal Patroler
Notes are played sequentially so it's not really chords, is it? It's more like a polyphonic arpeggiation where the previous notes are still there. If you play notes #1 #2 #3 and then stop, it'll hold them, but as soon as you play #4 then you lose #1. I don't know how Rene works to be honest, but you get what I'm saying, right?

If you do want chords you can use the Varigate to play all tracks (4) simultaneously. But other than that, it does play polyphonically on each track, indeed.

How do you like it so far?
revoltcrews
Notes are played sequentially so it's not really chords, is it? It's more like a polyphonic arpeggiation where the previous notes are still there. If you play notes #1 #2 #3 and then stop, it'll hold them, but as soon as you play #4 then you lose #1. I don't know how Rene works to be honest, but you get what I'm saying, right?

it will stack notes in 6 voice mode tho right ? thats why that switch is there eh.
or are we not capable of stacking notes to achieve chords.
Like sending 2 cv sources tuned differently & fire them at 222's 2 inputs. each set to 3 voice mode..
won't it play those at the same time ?

And i absolutely dig it!!
only had bout an hour with it last night.

If i played all 4 cv inputs simultaneously, Which Switch position would be best for this on each track ?
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
it will stack notes in 6 voice mode tho right ? thats why that switch is there eh.
or are we not capable of stacking notes to achieve chords.
Like sending 2 cv sources tuned differently & fire them at 222's 2 inputs. each set to 3 voice mode..
won't it play those at the same time ?

And i absolutely dig it!!
only had bout an hour with it last night.

If i played all 4 cv inputs simultaneously, Which Switch position would be best for this on each track ?

Of course it stacks notes! That's what the switches are for, I'm just saying it won't play them like a chord (as in everything on at the same moment), but you can create chords that way.

The switch position depends on your MIDI synth's voice. Let me give you an example of how I use it: I like switching to 3 voices even though I have a monophonic voice, as I tend to add portamento, so I can easily switch between sliding notes and non-sliding notes by flipping the switch. If you want chords you need to make sure the incoming voltages on the CV input will create your chord. So maybe if you send a CEG you might go for 3-voices.

Also, keep in mind that if you set the tracks on the same MIDI channel they do add up to the total polyphony of your synth. I use that sometimes to make more interesting patterns.
revoltcrews
cool!

getting some really nice results using varigate 8's 2 CV outputs.
having them synced to the same gate output for stacked notes into 2 channels on the 222, each set to 3 voices and same midi output to make the OB-6 happy SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Getting used to how the default note on/off works seems tricky.
Paranormal Patroler
Nah, it's very easy! It just understands whenever you reach a 12tet - V/Oct note and it fires a NoteOn info as long as the CV value is there. That means you don't need to fire Gate to "open your VCA" but to "close your VCA" if you want NoteOffs.

You can always switch each track to the other mode.
revoltcrews
chiming in..

getting some hung notes here and there.
the note on/off section is still interesting.
just watching the main led at the top kind of respond to gate inputs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUI-MHkgXfU/

super awesome to be able to work with the ob6 !!!
killer module!
Paranormal Patroler
What's the black panel on the second row?

Hang notes? Did you switch MIDI Channels ? That can happen if you don't allow the NoteOff to be fired and you swap channel before that. You can go back to the previous channel and click on the NoteOff button.
revoltcrews
its a blank panel.
that is the part of the row that went byebye to get the 0b-6 SlayerBadger!

not switching midi channels as i only have one synth.

still sorting the best way to use both the varigate8 and rene together on 1 midi channel.
Paranormal Patroler
I'd appreciate if you let me know more about how/when you get hang notes. I've only had them by switching channels which makes absolute sense. Never had any issue with any other switching, speed or whatnot. hmmm.....
revoltcrews
I'd appreciate if you let me know more about how/when you get hang notes. I've only had them by switching channels which makes absolute sense. Never had any issue with any other switching, speed or whatnot. hmmm.....

ill give a better report later when i get back in the studio cool
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

ill give a better report later when i get back in the studio cool

Take your time and feel free to PM me. Just trying to determine whether it's user error, the OB-6 or if the module is acting up. You can never be too sure about MIDI but I want to make sure you're happy with the module. I absolutely love mine!
lootacow
I've been looking for a Voltage to CV converter for a long time. Ended up going with the Moon Modular 552 since I already have a 5u. If the Addac is anything like the Moon 552, it will be great. I love playing my polysynths with my euro sequencers
Daisuk
Anyone heard anything about the 221 app (nudge, nudge, Paranormal Patroler)? It's a bit frustrating that the app still isn't working. I'm happy to wait as long as there's a light in the end of the tunnel, obviously, but it would really suck if this turned out to be some sort of insolvable MIDI/Windows problem (have had my share of those). confused
Paranormal Patroler
Daisuk wrote:
Anyone heard anything about the 221 app (nudge, nudge, Paranormal Patroler)? It's a bit frustrating that the app still isn't working. I'm happy to wait as long as there's a light in the end of the tunnel, obviously, but it would really suck if this turned out to be some sort of insolvable MIDI/Windows problem (have had my share of those). confused

Working on it is all I can say. I hate making empty promises but I don't think anyone wants a module out in the wild without any option to edit, so hold your horses and thank you for your patience. I'm positive ADDAC will continue working on it soon enough.

A Windows Update has %&$*#(# my laptop up and I lost three days trying to fix my mouse drivers (still problematic). angry
Daisuk
Daisuk wrote:

Working on it is all I can say. I hate making empty promises but I don't think anyone wants a module out in the wild without any option to edit, so hold your horses and thank you for your patience. I'm positive ADDAC will continue working on it soon enough.

A Windows Update has %&$*#(# my laptop up and I lost three days trying to fix my mouse drivers (still problematic). angry

Yeah, I'm sure it'll come through eventually! smile Thanks!
Ah, man, I've struggled with updating Windows lately too (because of WannaCry). Computers! Don't know why I bother. lol
revoltcrews

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV.

The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

Curious as to this section of your explanation.

Do these NoteOFF jacks at the bottom & on the right,
respond better to Gates rather than triggers.
i.e- do fatter width gates have a better chance of turning notes on and off than skinny triggers.

I'm finding the NoteOn Led's at the top of the module not immediately responsive at times to gate and trigger inputs per note.
Daisuk
Just chiming back in to say that I've gotten the 221 to work sweetly with Resolume, finally. And it wasn't the 221's fault! It was me being a dimwit in setting up MIDI mapping in Resolume.

Anyway, it seems that by default, the 221 is sending out these MIDI CC's on MIDI Channel 9, in case anyone wants to know:

CV in 1 - CC Modulation
CV in 2 - CC Breath
CV in 3 - Control Change
CV in 4 - CC Foot Controller
CV in 5 - CC Portamento Time
CV in 6 - CC Data Entry MSB
CV in 7 - CC Volume
CV in 8 - CC Balance
CV in 9 - Control Change
CV in 10 - CC Pan
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

2) Toggle On (button LED should be On) the tracks where you want the incoming gate on Input 1-4 on the right to fire a NoteOn for the track. Toggle Off (button LED should be Off) the tracks where you the change of the CV to fire a NoteOn automatically for each V/Oct note reached by your incoming CV.

The NoteOff# jacks at the bottom will always fire a NoteOff when you send a Gate.

i.e- do fatter width gates have a better chance of turning notes on and off than skinny triggers.

I'm finding the NoteOn Led's at the top of the module not immediately responsive at times to gate and trigger inputs per note.

Hi revoltcrews, sorry but I'm mot sure I'm following; what is your question exactly? NoteOff is an "instant" message whereas a NoteOn message's length depends on the Gate length, so they don't act in the same way from my experience.

To make things simpler let me know how you've set up your ADDAC 222 (e.g do you have certain tracks set to receive a NoteOn via the Gate input or do you have them set to react to CV change?) and what you're trying to achieve and I'll do my best to help you out!

Also, what is the issue with the LEDs on top? Do you find that they don't correlate with what's going on?
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Hi revoltcrews, sorry but I'm mot sure I'm following; what is your question exactly? NoteOff is an "instant" message whereas a NoteOn message's length depends on the Gate length, so they don't act in the same way from my experience.

To make things simpler let me know how you've set up your ADDAC 222 (e.g do you have certain tracks set to receive a NoteOn via the Gate input or do you have them set to react to CV change?) and what you're trying to achieve and I'll do my best to help you out!

Also, what is the issue with the LEDs on top? Do you find that they don't correlate with what's going on?

I haven't changed the settings at all.
I'm sending a Gate + CV from the Varigate 8 into CV1 and NoteOFF 1 of the 222.
I have the CV channel on my varigate tied to a Gate channel. so the notes ONLY fires when a Gate does.. (i.e- i can delay, ratchet, multiply the gates so the notes respond specifically to these actions).
anwho... its pretty darn amazing module!!
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
I haven't changed the settings at all.
I'm sending a Gate + CV from the Varigate 8 into CV1 and NoteOFF 1 of the 222. I have the CV channel on my varigate tied to a Gate channel. so the notes ONLY fires when a Gate does.. (i.e- i can delay, ratchet, multiply the gates so the notes respond specifically to these actions).
anwho... its pretty darn amazing module!!

Based on what you say you are firing MIDI NoteOffs on the ADDAC 222 and the module is handling the NoteOn's whenever it detects that your CV value at the CV1 input has reached a 12-tet V/Oct note. That's the standard way it works for each track unless you change it. Could be that that's the reason you're not seeing a correlation between what's going on with your Varigate and the LEDs on the 222 ... ?

It's a brilliant module! It's so playable, I mess around with velocity, octave switches, channel switches etc all the time. It's such a great hub I've been thinking ADDAC should make a similar module with VCA's and whatnot for analog voices! hihi
Paranormal Patroler
Just received a new firmware for the 221 and a new app. Did the update and tested the app and it works fine.

ADDAC should be contacting you soon with updates on this, just wanted to give you a heads up that it's thumbs up
Daisuk
Well, finally made a eurorack to Resolume video through 221 today, but Youtube just took a dump at it, for some reason, and it's not really worth watching. I'll try again later. d'oh! razz

It's a bit better if you watch it on Vimeo. Posting it here in case anyone's interested.

Paranormal Patroler
Just saw this on the Video Synthesis section d'oh! Great work man, you've definitely given me ideas. hihi I'd love to see a video of how you put it to work.
Daisuk
Good to hear! smile I've learned quite a bit over the last few weeks regarding video creation, it's a completely new world of weird rules and strange quirks. The process is quite cumbersome to do smoothly, so once I feel I'm really up to scratch on how to best do it, I can write a little "how to" guide or maybe even film a bit. It's a lot of fun when you see the images reacting to the CV though! Now to get to record and upload something in good quality. hmmm..... Mr. Green
ADDAC System
Hi! Sorry for the delay, we have the Configuration app available on our site

Get the application guide here!
Get the App for OSX here!
Get the App for Windows here!

Here's a link to printable Preset Sheets for those of us old-school enough to use 'em (I do!)

and here's a quick link to the ADDAC221's page just in case you need it. Any updates on any of the above I'll keep you posted!
Flohr
Thinking about getting a 222 to use the Ornament + Crime to sequence polysynths. Would it be technically possible to get 24 note poly going provided your midi device supported it? As in all channels set to 6 voice wrap and all going to the same midi channel.
Paranormal Patroler
Flohr wrote:
Thinking about getting a 222 to use the Ornament + Crime to sequence polysynths. Would it be technically possible to get 24 note poly going provided your midi device supported it? As in all channels set to 6 voice wrap and all going to the same midi channel.

You'd have to sequence your polysynth carefully (unless you like dissonance), but I don't see why you couldn't. You can have all tracks aim at the same channel and have them all at 6 voice wrap.
damase
Is ordering direct the only way to get these in the US? Ive got no experience with addac modules yet
ADDAC System
damase wrote:
Is ordering direct the only way to get these in the US? Ive got no experience with addac modules yet

Hi damase!

You can order directly from us if you want. Just use our order page! We're preparing a big batch to send out to Analogue Heaven in the near future.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
revoltcrews
bug report with the 222 :

bug1 -stuck/hung notes when main sequencer is stopped.
having to press each buttons channel on the 222 to stop hung notes.
I'm using the 222 in the mode where a gate tied to the sequencer is patched into the "All Notes Off/ Notes On" section on the right.
I was also experiencing hung notes in standard mode where the incoming CV fires a note.

EDIT: 2nd bug:
--it only alters the pitch when you put it in the mode where an incoming gate to the “All Notes On/OFF” triggers the CV for the sequence.
--i’m only using 1 channel on the 222 in 1 Voice mode
I’ve reproduced this both on my computer and with my OB-6.
My 222 will play a sequence of notes from incoming CV, say, 2 passes of same sequence,
on 3rd pass, it ignores the incoming sequence completely or changes the octave or notes altogether.

at times, it’s back and forth per sequence pass, playing the incoming sequence 1 time, then changing it or misses notes, doubling gates.

So, How are folks using the "ADJ trimmer per channel" to adjust deviation ?
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:

I'm using the 222 in the mode where a gate tied to the sequencer is patched into the "All Notes Off/ Notes On" section on the right.
I was also experiencing hung notes in standard mode where the incoming CV fires a note.

Hey man, I don't think that's a bug. Which sequencer are you using? Does it lower the gate to 0V when stopped so that the 222 sends out a NoteOff?

When used in the "Standard Mode", as you call it, and you stop the sequencer you need to press the buttons otherwise it wouldn't know when to send a NoteOff, since you've stopped the sequencer. That's why I use the AllNotesOff inputs or the track-note-off inputs to kill the notes. You can create cool syncopation this way, on top of muting the notes when you stop your sequencer.

revoltcrews wrote:
--it only alters the pitch when you put it in the mode where an incoming gate to the “All Notes On/OFF” triggers the CV for the sequence.
My 222 will play a sequence of notes from incoming CV, say, 2 passes of same sequence,
on 3rd pass, it ignores the incoming sequence completely or changes the octave or notes altogether.

at times, it’s back and forth per sequence pass, playing the incoming sequence 1 time, then changing it or misses notes, doubling gates.

Something is amiss. I never had an issue with a steady incoming sequence becoming scrambled on second/third pass and I've pushed this module to its limits. Help me reproduced the mistake please to see if it's indeed a bug.

Honestly I never touched the trimmers and I asked ADDAC about them but all I got was that they're not necessary unless you have an issue. I suggest we try to solve your problem, see if it's an error on the module or whatnot and then see if trimming is needed. I love my ADDAC222 and 221 so if I can help someway or push to get a firmware fix (if necessary) I'm here for you dude.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Hey man, I don't think that's a bug. Which sequencer are you using? Does it lower the gate to 0V when stopped so that the 222 sends out a NoteOff?

When used in the "Standard Mode", as you call it, and you stop the sequencer you need to press the buttons otherwise it wouldn't know when to send a NoteOff, since you've stopped the sequencer. That's why I use the AllNotesOff inputs or the track-note-off inputs to kill the notes. You can create cool syncopation this way, on top of muting the notes when you stop your sequencer.

revoltcrews wrote:

Something is amiss. I never had an issue with a steady incoming sequence becoming scrambled on second/third pass and I've pushed this module to its limits. Help me reproduced the mistake please to see if it's indeed a bug.

Honestly I never touched the trimmers and I asked ADDAC about them but all I got was that they're not necessary unless you have an issue. I suggest we try to solve your problem, see if it's an error on the module or whatnot and then see if trimming is needed. I love my ADDAC222 and 221 so if I can help someway or push to get a firmware fix (if necessary) I'm here for you dude.

thanks for chiming in Paranormal Patroler:
the bug (if it is one) exists only when i change the way each track fires a Note : pressing all four buttons and then setting them to “Toggle On”. so a gate is required to fire the incoming CV. which is the way i want to use it.
I did try and adjust the ADJ.1 trimmer a little bit left and right to see if it would compensate. but the changing of cv still happens.

i'll do some more quality time this morning.
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
the bug (if it is one) exists only when i change the way each track fires a Note : pressing all four buttons and then setting them to “Toggle On”. so a gate is required to fire the incoming CV. which is the way i want to use it.
I did try and adjust the ADJ.1 trimmer a little bit left and right to see if it would compensate. but the changing of cv still happens.

Let's break it down so we get it solved. On your first post you said:

Quote:

Hence my mention of the CV-tracking mode and how to solve hanging notes. Remember that the AllNotesOff and NoteOff inputs are super useful there and will help you avoid any problems while using that mode.

I always use at least one channel in Gate-Mode (re: requiring an Incoming Gate to act as NoteOn) and I've even used more than one track in that mode and also in all 1-3-6 note situations. Never had an issue of hanging notes or mangling my sequence unless I switch between MIDI channels (using the top switches) on the fly which I use when I do want to hang a note on purpose. So yeah, if you find a way to replicate this I'm all ears. Which sequencer are you using? I'm curious. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't you worry.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

Let's break it down so we get it solved. On your first post you said:

Quote:

Hence my mention of the CV-tracking mode and how to solve hanging notes. Remember that the AllNotesOff and NoteOff inputs are super useful there and will help you avoid any problems while using that mode.

I always use at least one channel in Gate-Mode (re: requiring an Incoming Gate to act as NoteOn) and I've even used more than one track in that mode and also in all 1-3-6 note situations. Never had an issue of hanging notes or mangling my sequence unless I switch between MIDI channels (using the top switches) on the fly which I use when I do want to hang a note on purpose. So yeah, if you find a way to replicate this I'm all ears. Which sequencer are you using? I'm curious. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't you worry.

stillson hammer mkii
Paranormal Patroler
Sweet, I have that! I think I'm on v666 or something like that. Let me know your specifics so I can see if I can replicate the issue thumbs up
revoltcrews
Sweet, I have that! I think I'm on v666 or something like that. Let me know your specifics so I can see if I can replicate the issue thumbs up

i'm on the latest firmware, just released.
http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/products/18

Using the 222 in mode where a gate is required to fire cv.
nothing else. just sending it a sequence from track 1 of the stillson.
cv to cv1 in. gate from stillson to All Note ON/OFF 1
Paranormal Patroler
Damn, not sure if I can update it right now but I'll give it a shot. Is the firmware stable? Any chance that could be the cause of the issue? Not to diss on SHmk2, but it has had problems before. Did you try it with an oscillator in parallel? Anyway, I'll try to upgrade let me know if/when you have details on the settings so I can replicate.
revoltcrews
Damn, not sure if I can update it right now but I'll give it a shot. Is the firmware stable? Any chance that could be the cause of the issue? Not to diss on SHmk2, but it has had problems before. Did you try it with an oscillator in parallel? Anyway, I'll try to upgrade let me know if/when you have details on the settings so I can replicate.

cv is stable on the shmkII,
yes, used with oscillators without the 222.

* i'm going to bring my 222 in to work and look at the action on a mordax data scope SlayerBadger!

** have you noticed different semitone offsets in pitch on the 222 output.
like for me, ch1 & 2 are outputting the same, 3 & 4 are like up 50% from incoming.
I tried turning the trimmers ever so slightly. but to no avail.
word.
propertyof
just got my 222 while waiting for my sound module to arrive.

tried to test the 222 last night with any midi device available in the house, there's a mother32 and my friend's microkorg XL+, but couldn't get any sound out of it. i was creating sequence from ER-101 to 222 and to any of those synths.

did i miss something here?
i'm not too familiar with midi function & it's been a while since the last time i used midi. anyone has suggestion?
propertyof
Just checked again midi in & out work normal between those 2 synths but when i connected to 222's midi out trs, there's no respond from each synths. Checked the actual channel already.

I'm afraid both of trs-to-midi female cables that came with the 222 are not working.. or even worse if my 222 midi out jack is broken.. sad banana
ADDAC System
propertyof wrote:
Just checked again midi in & out work normal between those 2 synths but when i connected to 222's midi out trs, there's no respond from each synths. Checked the actual channel already.

I'm afraid both of trs-to-midi female cables that came with the 222 are not working.. or even worse if my 222 midi out jack is broken.. sad banana

If I'm not mistaken you double-checked with us that your module is in perfect condition, right? Did you figure out the MIDI issue yet?
propertyof
ADDAC System wrote:
propertyof wrote:

If I'm not mistaken you double-checked with us that your module is in perfect condition, right? Did you figure out the MIDI issue yet?

almost. i've managed creating multi-timbre sound from 222 to my synth/sound module but only using midi-thru from my laptop via USB.
222 midi-out > laptop USB (program editor) > sound module USB
i can play & change the patches from 222 channels/banks.
But then when i tried using 222 midi-out > synth midi-in directly it wont work.

i'm already pmed the 222's ambassador Paranormal Patroler since we use similar sound module coz seems it's only setting up the channel issue?, waiting for his enlightenment here too we're not worthy
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:
i'm already pmed the 222's ambassador Paranormal Patroler since we use similar sound module coz seems it's only setting up the channel issue?, waiting for his enlightenment here too we're not worthy

I got your back man, we'll figure it out. I've sent you a PM, let's continue our conversation there. thumbs up
propertyof
i'm still having problem connecting my 222 directly to my synth/sound module.

i've tried many times connecting 222 midi out (via 3.5 mm addac adaptor) > midi in synths/sound modules. but the synths/sound module couldn't receive any midi message at all. i've check all channels is correctly arranged.

but when i use 222 midi out (via 3.5 mm addac adaptor) > usb laptop (running midi-ox utility software) > midi in synths/sound modules, all works perfect. i can control/change the synth's patches, channels, voices from the 222 switches & knobs.
also using 222 usb midi > laptop > usb laptop > synth midi in, works perfect too.

i've checked all of my midi cables with multitester and there's no problem.
i'm using the adaptor that came with the 222 to connect Roland Midi cable like this exact one:
https://www.roland.com/jp/products/msc-15/
this cable works when i connect my midi synths to another midi synth/sound module.

and my midi-usb cable is similar to this:
https://elevatorsound.com/product/usb-midi-cable/
it only works when i connect the 222 to my laptop's usb before go to my sound module's midi in.

any idea why is this happen? what did i miss?

really hope anyone can help. thanks.
Eudox
It seems i have quite the same problem with my 221.

I've managed to influence softsynth via USB but the module hasn't yet managed to send properly Midi CC to an Octatrack via the DIN socket.

sad banana

I haven't run all the test you've made though... I must investigate further.

As of note, does anybody here manage to make this pair work together (221 and Octatrack)?
propertyof
here's my interesting find this evening..

i did rewiring one of my midi cables, so it's connected differently from the addac cable but similar to arturia trs-midi type din cable:
Pin 5 – Ring (Current Sink)
Pin 4 – Tip (Current Source)
Pin 2 – Sleeve (Shield)
https://www.midi.org/articles/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini- stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

and voila! my synth sound module received the midi messages, the midi indicator lights blinking responding to the notes that sent directly from 222, BUT the sound module got hang immediately & became unplayable, and didn't respond if i press any of its button.
but hey this is the first time the synth responded to the 222 midi-out directly without laptop usb!

if only Andre or anyone who has more insight can jump in and share their views..
propertyof
i'm still having problem with my 222. waah

connecting its midi-out with the addac's trs-to-midi cable to my synth directly without any result.
but connecting its midi-out with arturia's type midi cable to my synth resulted that the midi message received by my synth (midi indicator blinking) but makes my synth freeze.

possibly internal route problem on the 222 midi-out jack?

Dead Banana
ADDAC System
We'll sort it out propertyof don't worry! thumbs up
damase
Maybe obvious to some.... but here is a pretty cool/easy trick for anyone needing the ADDAC222 to utilize your gate length as the entire midi on/off message (Gate on= midi on gate off=midi off)...

I used 2 channels of an Intellijel Quadratt but any mixer/polarizer that the channels are normalized should work...

-Set ADDAC222 to the 2nd play mode to fire midi ON with a gate into the NOTE ON input (hold all 4 buttons at once and then change each channel individually)
-Mult you gate signal from the NOTE ON input to ch1 of Quadratt, set in bipolar mode. Knob all the way counterclockwise
-Set ch2 of Quadratt to bipolar signal with the knob fully clockwise.
-output of channel 2 into the NOTE OFF input of your ADDAC222 channel

Now you're gate signal is being inverted and then set back to zero, so the new signal is gate on when you're original gate signal turns off, which is now firing your Midi Off message

It works great
Paranormal Patroler
I do the exact same thing using the inverter part of my Knit Rider expander. I mult the signal from the Knit Rider (set as random Gate length) and plug it on the NoteOn and the Inverted output on the Gate Off.

But FYI, I've discussed with ADDAC and they said they're considering adding a 3rd mode to the ADDAC222 which will do the NoteOn/NoteOff trick without needing to send gates at the NoteOff input; when the Gate ends a NoteOff will be fired. The NoteOff will be repurposed to hold the notes which is super useful in polyphonic mode!

Sounds good? I'm super excited about the third mode! hyper
damase
I do the exact same thing using the inverter part of my Knit Rider expander. I mult the signal from the Knit Rider (set as random Gate length) and plug it on the NoteOn and the Inverted output on the Gate Off.

But FYI, I've discussed with ADDAC and they said they're considering adding a 3rd mode to the ADDAC222 which will do the NoteOn/NoteOff trick without needing to send gates at the NoteOff input; when the Gate ends a NoteOff will be fired. The NoteOff will be repurposed to hold the notes which is super useful in polyphonic mode!

Wow!!! Yes that sounds amazing! Once i realized the ease of getting it to do this i was wondering if a mode to natively enact it would be possible. In my brain that would be the “main mode” as in the one that most people are imagining when they first think of CV to Midi in the modular context

Really hope that happens! Kudos to Andre and the Addac team. Fantasticly helpful, Andre recently got me a custom firmware for my 222 to have the midi channels i needed!
Paranormal Patroler
damase wrote:
Wow!!! Yes that sounds amazing! Once i realized the ease of getting it to do this i was wondering if a mode to natively enact it would be possible. In my brain that would be the “main mode” as in the one that most people are imagining when they first think of CV to Midi in the modular context

Really hope that happens! Kudos to Andre and the Addac team. Fantasticly helpful, Andre recently got me a custom firmware for my 222 to have the midi channels i needed!

Yeah, they're super helpful, but you should let them know you're interested so that they know I'm not alone on this. From our discussion you'd have three modes: Light on (GateOn), Light off (automatic), Light blinking (Gate variable). To tell you the truth the required NoteOff has its merits, especially if you try playing each track polyphonically. It's super nice!

But having that NoteOff input as hold is also a nice idea. So many polyrhythmic stuff you can pull off with this module ...
revoltcrews
I've since moved my 222 into a Mantis case.
i have it operating in the mode wherein you have to patch a Gate to fire note on/off
Been noticing stuck gates every time i stop my sequencer.
it just started doing this. wonder if its cuz of the mantis case power ?
strange that it should just out of the blue start not releasing gates.

this is the set up, literally nothing else in the case yet:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/551597
Sinamsis

This is what I had hoped for when I bought the module. A high gate should trigger note on message, when gate goes low it should trigger note off... I hadn't thought about inverting gates... that makes sense. Honestly, I've put these modules on the back burner for a while. I'll have to revisit them soon.
Paranormal Patroler
revoltcrews wrote:
i have it operating in the mode wherein you have to patch a Gate to fire note on/off

The mode requires a gate at note off to kill notes. You are aware of that, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have a polyphonic option per track.

Sinamsis, I hear ya. You're right but as I mentioned above, the original idea was to have the midi play polyphonically per track. Andre added the GateOn option because I asked him to after SB16, and the way he did it makes sense if you want to fire more than one note at a time, using just one track. You should contact ADDAC and say you'd be interested in the third mode so they know it's not just me who wants that. Andre said he'll do it, but he is kinda busy these days. I wouldn't mind having that extra Hold option, it's rather cool!
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:

The mode requires a gate at note off to kill notes. You are aware of that, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have a polyphonic option per track.

hmmm:
so, basically, i need to patch 4 extra gates into the bottom 4 Note OFF jacks as well as my other 4 gates i have patched into the right section which are firing from my sequencer with the CV...? essentially "playing" an extra gate sequencer.
Paranormal Patroler
Nope. When you have a track set up monophonically each new NoteOn info will kill the previous note. So you don't really need to plug the NoteOff unless, as you said, you stop sending new NoteOn info by stopping your sequencer. When you do that press the button of the track to kill the note. If you have it in polyphonic it will require as many presses as the notes that are hanging.

You can use the Noteoff inputs to change the gate lengths of your notes. How about multing your gates, sending them to ADs to control your velocity, and using the EOC to fire off the NoteOff? Mr. Green

Swapping Midi channels on the fly might cause hanging notes, but that is to be expected. I actually use that to good effect, by leaving channels "empty" as placeholders when I want a note to hang. Swap, hang, go back to original channel and continue. Love this module!
damase
revoltcrews wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

hmmm:
so, basically, i need to patch 4 extra gates into the bottom 4 Note OFF jacks as well as my other 4 gates i have patched into the right section which are firing from my sequencer with the CV...? essentially "playing" an extra gate sequencer.

Funny that the two conversations in this thread are actually about the same thing.... I think its a natural way to think that "Gate Length = Midi Note length". However thats not the case until this third mode we were discussing gets added.

I've grown to appreciate the current two modes for their different usage and I think the polyphony switch is a stroke of genius. I would probably use the third mode a lot because my circadian rhythm can do whatever gate lengths i want on any channel, and also integra funkitus can derive a lot of new gate lengths via probability

As Paranormal Patroler said, if we contact Andre at Addac and express interest he is likely to put the effort in to implement it.
Paranormal Patroler
applause Couldn't agree more!
Eudox
I'm really interested in the discussion about the 222 operating mode... But as i was mentioning the problem i had with my 221, maybe it can be useful to give a quick update on that.

I've managed to solve my problem and now the 222 is fully functional. It drives mostly the effects of an octatrack, which acts as a four track mixer for my rack.It's really really great.

I've discovered that the module was in some way buggy, and didn't accept the messages from the app. On MIDI PORT the 221 was always outputing the data from the factory presets, whatever i was uploading as a preset, and ignoring the CCs i’ve been editing and uploading via the app.

I’ve updated the module with the new firmware and the problem disappears. Boom.

I wan't to add that from my point of view the 221 brings a lot to expand the modular world : my Octatrack is now a full part of my system : it can clock it, sequence it and at the same time it can be modulated by the rack etc. It’s a powerfull effect box under CV control. Not to mention what is possible to mangle samples with the modulation sources of the modular...

Its a great way to go : making bridge between machines, making them learn to interact instead of trying to put everything we can think of into a module! (my 2 cents).
propertyof
so i just got my 222 back from service, sent it back to Andre couples weeks ago.
and they found out the problem.. it turns out that my unit has a mono jack for the midi out instead of using stereo jack! that explains everything! seems my unit skipped a QC process.
anyway Andre & ADDAC team been very helpful with this & replace my 222 with a new unit. now everything is working as it should.
oh, did i mention they sent me a free t-shirt too.. thumbs up
now back to wiggling! w00t
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:
so i just got my 222 back from service, sent it back to Andre couples weeks ago.
and they found out the problem.. it turns out that my unit has a mono jack for the midi out instead of using stereo jack! that explains everything! seems my unit skipped a QC process.
anyway Andre & ADDAC team been very helpful with this & replace my 222 with a new unit. now everything is working as it should.

Those are great news man! Super happy you sorted this out and even more happy to see you're using your 222! SlayerBadger!
Midiot
The Elektron Analog4 receives midi notes etc, but does not send them (something many A4 owners wish it did).

But it does send CV, Gate, and Mod values.

So..... Are these ADDAC converters a good work-around to get the A4 to send sequences to my other "midi only" synths ??

With all the conversions going on, I wonder if this will add latency, or pitch and timing issues ?

(I saw the Octotrack usage mentioned earlier)
Sinamsis
Midiot wrote:
The Elektron Analog4 receives midi notes etc, but does not send them (something many A4 owners wish it did).

But it does send CV, Gate, and Mod values.

So..... Are these ADDAC converters a good work-around to get the A4 to send sequences to my other "midi only" synths ??

With all the conversions going on, I wonder if this will add latency, or pitch and timing issues ?

(I saw the Octotrack usage mentioned earlier)

With the money you’d spend to achieve real functionality I would just buy a DT and save the cash. You’ll have a small box with the Elektron sequencer that can have 8 different MIDI sequences and send 8 CCs per track. The modules probably won’t do the traditional note on off and midi note conversion that you’re expecting right now. If you want to take a lot of CV signal from your modular and control different MIDI gear that’s probably a more appropriate application.
Midiot
Sinamsis wrote:

With the money you’d spend to achieve real functionality I would just buy a DT and save the cash.

(DT = Electron Digitakt or Digitone ??)

Thanks....well noted.
Sinamsis
Ha yes, Digitakt. Sorry for the shorthand.
propertyof
there's new firmware update for 222!

Quote:
We've just released a new Firmware Update for our ADDAC222 CV TO NOTES!

You can download it from the module's page:
http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac222

Last update version: B_0, February, 7th, 2018

B_0 changes log:
.Added a 3rd Mode for notes output: Gate Follower with Sustain:
. Notes On/Off will follow the respective channel Gate input, When the Gate is On the note will become active and inactive when Gate drops to Off.
. Sustain will allow to hold the notes played ignoring the Gate off signal

New Control Mapping:
. All Notes Off = GATE On/Off Input
. Notes Off Buttons and Inputs = Sustain

.Also corrected some issues with holding notes when changing midi channels and number of voices.

Sinamsis
Nice, I updated the module without incident (I believe). I was really scratching my head trying to find something that was non metallic and small enough to get to the teensy board but rigid enough to all me to depress the button. I ended up folding a business card a couple times and using that. Worked like a charm. Is it supposed to play some animation to let you know the load was a success? Teensy loader said it was ok. But I don't have a ton of experience with it, other than with OC and TU. So I still have no f'ing clue what I'm doing with this module. Because there's no fucking manual. And you'd think it's self explanatory, but I guess I'm just too stupid to surmise how to actually use the fucking thing. So can anyone tell me how to change modes and access this third mode. I can't say I really know what's happening when I use the 222, but for the most part I like what I hear.

ADDAC System
Press and hold all four buttons on the module for a few seconds to swap modes. There are three modes, each one with distinct visual representation on the button:

i) Unlit button, automatic mode, the module will change (fire) notes when it detects a change in CV

ii) Lit button, the module requires a gate at the All Notes Off input to fire the note. A Note Off is fired when a new note is fired or when a gate is received at the NoteOff input.

iii) Blinking button, the module requires a gate at the All Notes Off input. NoteOn is fired for the duration of the Gate. NoteOff input acts as a hold, which is super useful, especially when using a track in 3-6 voices.

w00t
revoltcrews
Quick inquiry regarding the 222:

Site says it can send to up to 9 midi channels.
I was trying to send Midi to 4 midi channels. but it doesn't seem to work..

the Digitone's 4 tracks are each on their own Midi channel..channels 1-4.

Basically,
Stillson Hammer-> 222 > Digitone
I can send the 1st 3 channels fine via the 222, all set to Ch1 and Bank A.
But i can't pick a 4th channel on the 222.

Is there something i'm missing. Or are we basically limited to Midi Ch 1-3 regardless of what channel on the 222?
damase
revoltcrews wrote:

Basically,

Is there something i'm missing. Or are we basically limited to Midi Ch 1-3 regardless of what channel on the 222?

Midi channel 4 would be Bank B/Ch1

By default on the 222
Bank A is 1-3
B is 4-6
C is 7-9
revoltcrews
damase wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

Basically,

Midi channel 4 would be Bank B/Ch1

By default on the 222
Bank A is 1-3
B is 4-6
C is 7-9

ahh interesting. i did not know this.
so on the 222 i set CV Input 1 to Channel 1 , Bank B = Midi Channel 4 ?

But your description would entail using ch 2 bank b, you said: "B is 4-6"
its a wee confusing.
damase
Bank A Ch1 = midi Ch 1
Bank A Ch2 = midi Ch 2
Bank A Ch3 = midi Ch 3
Bank B Ch1 = midi Ch 4
Bank B Ch2 = midi Ch 5
Bank B Ch3 = midi Ch 6
Bank C Ch1 = midi Ch 7
Bank C Ch2 = midi Ch 8
Bank C Ch3 = midi Ch 9

w00t
revoltcrews
damase wrote:
Bank A Ch1 = midi Ch 1
Bank A Ch2 = midi Ch 2
Bank A Ch3 = midi Ch 3
Bank B Ch1 = midi Ch 4
Bank B Ch2 = midi Ch 5
Bank B Ch3 = midi Ch 6
Bank C Ch1 = midi Ch 7
Bank C Ch2 = midi Ch 8
Bank C Ch3 = midi Ch 9

w00t

this. SlayerBadger! Thank you! You're awesome It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! w00t screaming goo yo
revoltcrews
thanks again damase cool

Sequencing the new Digitone w/ Stillson Hammer Mkii via the 222 is just amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf49TabAjXs/?taken-by=sunfallsmusic
damase
revoltcrews wrote:
thanks again damase cool

Sequencing the new Digitone w/ Stillson Hammer Mkii via the 222 is just amazing!

Nice! That Digitone is amazing and such the right price to pair with these. My bandmate and I have set up a simple wogglebug burst>quantizer to an OB6 and it was entrancing, could have listened to it play for hours. These modules ended up being a bit more of a rabbit hole than i anticipated so i havent completed the vision for full usage yet...
Pretty soon ill have my new sequencing rack to house my z8000 and addac222/221/207 so that i can start sending 4 midi channels to the analog channels on my Alphabase. To say im excited is a ridiculous understatement
revoltcrews
damase wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:
thanks again damase cool

Nice! That Digitone is amazing and such the right price to pair with these. My bandmate and I have set up a simple wogglebug burst>quantizer to an OB6 and it was entrancing, could have listened to it play for hours. These modules ended up being a bit more of a rabbit hole than i anticipated so i havent completed the vision for full usage yet...
Pretty soon ill have my new sequencing rack to house my z8000 and addac222/221/207 so that i can start sending 4 midi channels to the analog channels on my Alphabase. To say im excited is a ridiculous understatement

nice. that sounds fun.. yeah the 222/ob6 combo is amazing. i need to get the 221 CC companion module now as well.
Sinamsis
Not sure if I mentioned this but OC and TU are great companions to these modules. Turing machine would be good too.
revoltcrews
Side not inquiry:

can you run the 1/8" midi out and USB midi out at the same time to control 2 ext synths ?
or should i get a midi thru box ?
revoltcrews
new firmware for the 222 is super cool!

heres the 1st jam in the new mode 3:

all sounds ala Digitone meets DLD via Varigate 8 + Stillson Hammer

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf9zmc3gYAa/?taken-by=sunfallsmusic
Sinamsis
Sequencing the Modal 002 with the 222.

ADDAC System
Sinamsis wrote:
Sequencing the Modal 002 with the 222.

screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
revoltcrews
perhaps i'm missing something. or its just not working properly.

Stillson Hammer -> 222 -> Digitone.

Quick question. does the 222 send proper clock/transport information ?

So, i have the midi plugged into digitone, when fire off the stillson hammer, it does Not start the Digitone’s internal sequencer

(yes, i have Clock Receive enabled on the Digitone)
Sinamsis
revoltcrews wrote:

So, i have the midi plugged into digitone, when fire off the stillson hammer, it does Not start the Digitone’s internal sequencer

the 222 is just for CV to MIDI note data. So I'm not sure how you would convert an analog clock to MIDI clock with it (by I'm not sure I mean you can't).

Guilty confession, I have not fully explored my 221 except for basic CC. Ha, which is embarrassing because I've had it since it was released. I guess I just put it on the back burner. But I know it can convert triggers to MIDI data, could it possibly be programmed to accept analog clock signals and convert them to MIDI clock?
revoltcrews
Sinamsis wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

the 222 is just for CV to MIDI note data. So I'm not sure how you would convert an analog clock to MIDI clock with it (by I'm not sure I mean you can't).

Guilty confession, I have not fully explored my 221 except for basic CC. Ha, which is embarrassing because I've had it since it was released. I guess I just put it on the back burner. But I know it can convert triggers to MIDI data, could it possibly be programmed to accept analog clock signals and convert them to MIDI clock?

ahh got it. i figured. just needed clarification.
so now i need to get a-
cv clock to midi clock module, and a Midi Merge box.
so i can take the clock & 222 patched in to the digitone/ob6
Paranormal Patroler
It's easier than it sounds. Ladik has a nice Clock,to MIDI clock module. I plug it on the 222s MIDI input when I want the receiving device to get a MIDI clock.

You don't need a merging device, the 222 does that for you!
Sinamsis
Or a 221 and use the Digitone as your master. I assume you want the SH as your master clock so you can modulate it. With the 221 I assume you could modulate the Digitones clock among other things. I might be wrong about that though, I’m assuming there’s a CC assignment for that. You’d also be able to modulate a lot more. Haha just saying.
revoltcrews
It's easier than it sounds. Ladik has a nice Clock,to MIDI clock module. I plug it on the 222s MIDI input when I want the receiving device to get a MIDI clock.

ah!!! thats the solution then smile SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
talking bout this one right: http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=861

cheers!
Sinamsis
I guess the other thing is this.... the SH puts out an analog clock. But I don't think it sends a run signal does it? Or maybe it does. I recently got one and I haven't fully learned it.
revoltcrews

curious as to your settings on the ladik m-330 module.
1st mode ?
2nd mode ?
the write up is a bit vague.

"in first mode are clocks sent to MIDI independently of current “running state” (MIDI clocks and divided clock out are active everytime). Starting slaved MIDI devices requires start (or cont) trig.
in second mode are clocks sent to MIDI only if current “running state” is running (MIDI clocks and divided clock out are active only after “Start” or “Continue” – system is running, MIDI clocks and divided clocks are not sent after “Stop” – stopped system)"

and this: "Current clock division ratio is selectable by short button press cyclically (with or without triplets).".
Does this apply to the Divided clock output or the MIDI output.

when i try to use either 1st or 2nd mode. the digitone clock runs, but is like:
inconsistent - run run run .. then it runs fast a few steps, and then run run run.

it repeats in this fashion. never being a fluid clock.
and on the digitone tempo page, i can see the clock jumping from 120 to 70 to 120 to 140 to 70 ... its odd behaviour.

can you offer any advice Paranormal Patroler ?
is there a specific setting on the 222 i need ?
Paranormal Patroler
Does it respond the same way if you plug it directly to the Elektron ? What's your clock source?
revoltcrews
Does it respond the same way if you plug it directly to the Elektron ? What's your clock source?

Hi,

tried different modules for clock source. QCD, Stillson, Eloquencer.

clock patched to the top in jack of 330, then the midi in of 222,
with the 222 midi out to digitone midi in.
havent tried just the clock to the digitone (altho, that way i wouldn't get my notes)
which mode do you use? and/or which mode starts the digitone without having to press play on the digitone? (is it possible)
I can't make sense of the Start, Continue, Stop jacks on the 330 either.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm not familiar with the Digitone but if you need to press play on it after you've started sending it MIDI clock then I guess you need the first mode.

Have a sequence on the Digitone and try sending the clock directly. Does that work ok? Is the clock steady?

Stillson's manual says not to use the output to clock stuff if you can avoid it (IIRC). So that's out. Any Pamela's to try out?

Each of the Start/Stop/Continue jacks will output the relevant MIDI message (namely Start / Stop / Continue) if you send a signal to the jack. A quick google search about MIDI will explain what these do. But check the Digitone's manual. There will be a MIDI map which explains what MIDI information it receives.

Seems to me like you need a Start message to have it running.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that you might end up needing a MIDI merge after all. Not sure why. Might be the Digitone that's not handling clock and note info that well. hmmm.....

Let me know how it goes. Also, feel free to PM me and we can troubleshoot together.
revoltcrews
I'm not familiar with the Digitone but if you need to press play on it after you've started sending it MIDI clock then I guess you need the first mode.

Have a sequence on the Digitone and try sending the clock directly. Does that work ok? Is the clock steady?

Stillson's manual says not to use the output to clock stuff if you can avoid it (IIRC). So that's out. Any Pamela's to try out?

Each of the Start/Stop/Continue jacks will output the relevant MIDI message (namely Start / Stop / Continue) if you send a signal to the jack. A quick google search about MIDI will explain what these do. But check the Digitone's manual. There will be a MIDI map which explains what MIDI information it receives.

Seems to me like you need a Start message to have it running.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that you might end up needing a MIDI merge after all. Not sure why. Might be the Digitone that's not handling clock and note info that well. hmmm.....

Let me know how it goes. Also, feel free to PM me and we can troubleshoot together.

right. so, the Digitone midi implementation chart says nothing to the point of
how these are handled. it actually says nothing at all except "Port Config, Clock Receive". the implementation chart only shows what to CC.

I tried patching a mult of the main clock to the start jack but that doesn't work. (perhaps that's the wrong way to use the start jack)
My guess is the digitone is handling it all from that one Port Config option. The other big boxes (octatrack) have a "Transport control" option next to the "Clock Receive" option.

I'll try with a kenton midi merge box soon i guess when i have more time.

cheers
Paranormal Patroler
You only need to fire the Start message once. It's exactly like pressing the button, you do it once to start and once to stop (in which case you need that stop Gate). Continue will continue from where you stopped. If you send Start after stop it will start from the beginning.
Sinamsis
I think if you keep hitting the start input with a continuous clock you could screw things up if the start input acts as a reset too. I just remembered FH-1 also converts analog clock to MIDI. But owning the Digitakt and Digitone and an SH mk II I think you're going to have trouble. Something else needs to be generating the clock, because you will need not only a clock signal but some sort of run signal I assume. Unless you're clock to MIDI converter automatically generates that run signal once it gets a clock.

I guess something is happening though because your Digitone is responding. The other thing is do you maybe have to process the clock signal? Maybe the amplitude isn't high enough, or the pulse width isn't to the converters liking. It sounds like maybe it's missing some clock signals. The other question is how the converter handles an irregular clock. Does it average the incoming pulses? I'm guessing you want the SH to be the master clock since it can be modulated right?

Haha, this is getting way off topic, but I guess nothing else is going on here.
revoltcrews
My 221 CV to CC module arrived today!! screaming goo yo w00t

Quick basic question about connecting it to the 222:

i patch from the 221 to the 222 midi in right..? not the other way around?

Also, any tips n tricks for the 221 do share w00t
Paranormal Patroler
You can patch in either direction, 221 > 222 or 222 > 221, as long as patch MIDI output to MIDI input. You can even use a TRS cable directly which is fantastic in my opinion.
revoltcrews
You can patch in either direction, 221 > 222 or 222 > 221, as long as patch MIDI output to MIDI input. You can even use a TRS cable directly which is fantastic in my opinion.

EDIT**
its working on the digitone. altho quite strange the way it interacts.
only works in Unipolar mode with strange offsets aligned between the 2 knobs.
currently at work. but will do more testing as the day progresses.

Edit 2*
works great on the ob-6.
generally the module seems intermittent at first. no response upon 1st knob movements. then it seems to "wake up" and worked fine.

1-do the Jumpers on the 221/222 need to be set in any certain way ?
revoltcrews
I’ve been using the midi monitor app to watch what happens with my 221..
Either i'm doing something wrong on my synth side of things with midi set up or this is wonky module behavior.
using this with my OB-6 desktop and digitone (separately testing)

-It doesn’t boot and function properly some of the time, meaning CC’s won’t even fire or the knobs don't register movement on midi monitor .
A few of the knobs aren’t responsive (meaning the midi monitor app shows no movement)(then they do, then they don't)
-Its not remembering presets from the app the majority of the time (i think):
it will assign some of the knobs and not others. i'm not sure its even "uploading preset". although midi monitor does show some kind of transmission
-it will sporadically send the proper cc assignments and then send a jumbled mess of cc’s and completely annihilate my current synth preset.
-turns things on and off that aren’t currently mapped in my saved 221 preset.
(i've been doing my homework and am watching out for CC #'s that may be duplicates, but this is not the case)
-I've also tried just patching the 221 directly to my synths. but kinda the same.

Any thoughts from 221 users would be helpful.
Should i reload the current firmware (although thats from last year).

Cheers, .... when it works its super cool. I do realize that CV to CC is currently in development, i.e, it's not a perfect technology yet. so i'm really excited about this. woooord.
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:
Either i'm doing something wrong on my synth side of things with midi set up or this is wonky module behavior.

-It doesn’t boot and function properly some of the time, meaning CC’s won’t even fire or the knobs don't register movement on midi monitor .
A few of the knobs aren’t responsive (meaning the midi monitor app shows no movement)(then they do, then they don't)
it will assign some of the knobs and not others. i'm not sure its even "uploading preset". although midi monitor does show some kind of transmission
-it will sporadically send the proper cc assignments and then send a jumbled mess of cc’s and completely annihilate my current synth preset.
(i've been doing my homework and am watching out for CC #'s that may be duplicates, but this is not the case)
-I've also tried just patching the 221 directly to my synths. but kinda the same.

Cheers, .... when it works its super cool. I do realize that CV to CC is currently in development, i.e, it's not a perfect technology yet. so i'm really excited about this. woooord.

Bump!
revoltcrews
revoltcrews wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:

Bump!
Eudox
My beginnings with the 221 was quite frustrating. At first i didn't manage to make it act the way i wanted (ie. controlling an Octatrack that acts like a 4 ch. mixer for my Euro rig).

The presets wasn't updated on the module (always outputting default scenes) and it seems that only the USB out sent out CC.

After a lot of frustration and emailing W/ ADDAC, it appears that updating the module firmware solves the thing. Now the 221 works flawlessly.

I hope you will fix yours, i'm sure there's some bugs that need to be ironed out. Don't loose your temper on it.

As a side note, i really think that CV to MIDI is a great path to go. In my case most of the FX are now handled by the Octatrack whereas i can focus my rig on what i think eurorack is best for : modulations and sequencing.

I'm thinking of buying a 222 now...to control my Yamaha TG33...
Paranormal Patroler
Hi revoltcrews, sorry I missed your post. Have you tried updating the firmware ? It's super easy! Go to http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac221

It should fix whatever issues you're having.
revoltcrews
Hi revoltcrews, sorry I missed your post. Have you tried updating the firmware ? It's super easy! Go to http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac221

It should fix whatever issues you're having.

pm'd hmmm.....
resynthesize
propertyof wrote:

I recently purchased a 221/222 set from a fellow wiggler and am having a similar problem with my 221. I see data in a midi monitor over USB but I don't appear to getting anything out of the TRS midi out jack (I don't have an easy way to monitor midi on the TRS output, but I've plugged it into a couple of different synths with no result, and I also don't see CC data via USB out on the 222 when I patch the 221 trs out to 222 trs in) . How do I test whether I have a stereo or mono jack? Anything else I can take a look at? I'm on the latest firmware already.
Paranormal Patroler
So 221 works fine by itself but 222 doesn't? And when you go 221 > 222 you don't get any CC messages at the output either?
resynthesize
So 221 works fine by itself but 222 doesn't?

222 is working great over USB midi and TRS midi out. 221 works fine over USB midi but not TRS midi.

And when you go 221 > 222 you don't get any CC messages at the output either?

Yeah, when I go 221 trs out to 222 trs midi in with a stereo TRS cable, I don't see any CC messages on 222 USB out (routed to a midi monitor on my computer), and presumably don't get any CC on the trs out either.
Paranormal Patroler
Ok, so the problem is obviously on the TRS output of the 221. Make sure your TRS-to-DIN adapter is ok, by trying it on the 222. If it's working then the problem is on the module output. If you have the same jack problem mentioned above then shoot a message to ADDAC.

They're responsive, they'll short you out. Just be a bit patient as they posted about moving HQ so they might be slower than usual.

Post here if you have any other questions!
resynthesize
I got my previous issue with the 221 sorted out (user error, module was fine).

I have a couple of other issues with the 222 though.

1) The module periodically sends note off messages to random channels every 20-30 seconds. I've verified this by monitoring the usb midi output with a midi monitor app on my desktop. Example screenshot attached. This happens with nothing patched into the module at all!

2) The channel/bank toggle switches for inputs 3 and 4 don't correspond with the manual (or inputs 1 and 2). Instead this is what I get:

A1: Channel 7
A2: Channel 8
A3: Channel 9
B1: Channel 4
B2: Channel 5
B3: Channel 6
C1: Channel 7
C2: Channel 8
C3: Channel 9

I want to like these modules so much, but this has been a frustrating experience to say the least. I'll contact ADDAC again, but just wondering if anyone has seen anything resembling this behavior and if there's any fixes I can try.

Paranormal Patroler
That is VERY weird and something I never run into. Which firmware are you on? Have you tried the latest?

I highly suggest you update the firmware and post here again. Mine works fine so let's make sure you get yours working as well.
resynthesize
I updated to the latest firmware version (B_3) after I got the module.
Paranormal Patroler
How are you patching the module when you test? Which mode are the channels in?
shoottofill
So I just got a 222 from Analog Haven and I'm trying to get it into mode 3. I'm assuming it doesn't have the latest firmware if I press all 4 buttons and I can't get them to blink. Is there any easy way to tell if it has the latest firmware?

(without plugging it in)
shoottofill
shoottofill wrote:
So I just got a 222 from Analog Haven and I'm trying to get it into mode 3. I'm assuming it doesn't have the latest firmware if I press all 4 buttons and I can't get them to blink. Is there any easy way to tell if it has the latest firmware?

(without plugging it in)

i think i updated the firmware. hard to tell what mode i'm in
resynthesize
How are you patching the module when you test? Which mode are the channels in?

I first noticed the problem in actual use with a v/oct signal to the CV inputs and a gate to the all notes off input ("why are my notes randomly being cutoff on my midi synth?"). While troubleshooting, I completely unpatched the module and just monitored the midi output - the problem happens even with the module completely unpatched!

I usually use the "blinking light" mode, but I tried it in the "led off" mode too, with the same result.
Paranormal Patroler
Give me some time and I'll test things on mine. I don't know why you have this issue. Would you mind sending me a PM so we can arrange for a Skype call on this?
maltemark
[deleted]
diophantine
Just got a 222 today from Analogue Haven! Upgraded the firmware to the brand-new B5 version.

Definitely seems like it could be a game-changer for me! I've always wanted to be able to "play" my polysynths from something other than the keyboard or a basic sequencer, and in my quick tests controlling a Wavestation it seems like this comes really close to what I was hoping for, and is in some ways even more powerful than I'd desired (but not really in ways that makes it overly complex).

I think I have figured out modes 1 & 2 pretty well, but I am still a bit confused on mode 3, the gated mode, which is apparently new in this firmware (though hinted at previously here). Using it for mono stuff it makes sense (note is held until gate is released), but I am not quite sure how to use it with multiple voices, and to sustain them, particularly with the pushbutton.

Also, what's the expected behavior when you have two (or more) of the four sections assigned to the same MIDI channel? (Sorry if I missed something skimming this thread.)

Too bad it is so brutally hot in the house this evening, or I'd be spending more time exploring it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 9