MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Just starting out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Just starting out
MatttheKat
Hi everybody,

I'm a current Serge user and normally stay in that part of the forum, but I have been wanting to start a Wiard 300 system and thought I would come here for some advice. I want to ultimately end up with a 6 module system + JAG controller. I will only be able to start with 2 modules at the beginning as funds come together. In everyone's experience, what would be the 2 to start with that could provide the most functionality and entertainment until more modules could be purchased? I would really appreciate your Wiard wisdom.

Thanks,
Matt
chamomileshark
hi Matt, don't know too much about Serge but I assume you can't connect the two?

If that were the case I'd probably think about getting the VCO and something else. The VCO has a gate input, an envelope generator and VCA.

For the second module it depends on what kind of sounds you want to make. You could add a Borg filter which gives you a filter x or LPG x 2 (or filter and LPG) and a couple of LFOs that go into audio range. Alternatively if you are more into the experimental go for a wogglebug.

It will be interesting what others have to say. You get alot of synth in each module.
chamomileshark
you've seen this I assume?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158137
slow_riot
The first and most important module in the system is the Hinton Full Power PSU. The PSU is the biggest factor in determining overall system performance.

I'm not aware of many +/-15V switchmode supplies on the market but that style of design is simply a living hell for analogue synthesizers. The linear Blacet supply in older Wiard systems which often appear second hand is a genuine safety concern and would never be approved for sale on the legally regulated market.

Wiard 300 series modules from any manufacturing period are mostly worth having if you see any bargains. Be aware that some may be 10 or 20 years old and the minijack connectors start to fail at that age, so factor repair cost into the price you are prepared to pay. With that said in many cases it is not possible to bring the older modules up to modern specs. This leads onto the point that the modern modules made by Wiard now are the best that have ever been made, with some improvements making a night and day difference to performance.

New modules come with the option of balanced connections on inputs (in some cases) and outputs (in every case) using a mid size bantam connector. In my experience in live and studio environments, balancing solves multiple problems that can require a lot of downtime to solve, particularly as system size increases. You would probably need a dedicated input and output interface to cross patch from a balanced system to the unbalanced Serge, but a single conductor cable is an antenna. A balanced connector is hot and cold to cancel induced audio frequency noise (the biggest culprit being 50/60Hz hum from mains AC), plus a shield to ideally keep high frequency signals (like the kind of junk that switching PSUs spew out) out of the system completely.
DomMorley
There was a starter set-up in the BST last week. It was a CVCO, Dual Borg and Wogglebug. Looked like a great starter. I think it was wiggler Renzo but I might be wrong there...
MatttheKat
Thanks for the responses guys! I will check out the BST, but last time I looked the postings were all pretty old.
MatttheKat
chamomileshark wrote:
hi Matt, don't know too much about Serge but I assume you can't connect the two?

Serge uses banana cables so no it couldn't, but I plan on making a format jumbler for these particular situations. The Serge and Wiard could definately be friends. w00t
DomMorley
MatttheKat wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys! I will check out the BST, but last time I looked the postings were all pretty old.

Yeah - looks like Renzo's is sold already.

I'm planning on a CVCO and Dual Borg as a starter. There's enough for a voice in just those two.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1