MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Questions about the Yamaha RM1x
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Questions about the Yamaha RM1x
zeit
I've been looking at inexpensive sequencers a couple of people mentioned the Yamaha RM1x as a powerful but cheaper sequencer. I'm only familiar with sequencers that produce no sound, like the BSP, Darktime, Engine, Cirklon, Pyramid...etc...so, I want to make sure I understand something before I make a possible purchase:

I think I've seen certain "grooveboxes" where you can only use "their sounds", which I DO NOT want. That being said, can I simply use my own sounds on this? And if so, will it allow me to simply plug my Phenol into the RM1x, press something like Play on the RM1x hear a 16 step sequence from my Phenol? If I end up picking up a drum machine, can I do the same with it?

Are there any huge disadvantages in getting something like this over a BSP or some other basic sequencer? How is the visual feedback on the Yamaha RM1x compared to something like the BSP? My guess is the RM1x isn't as visual (can't see the steps and what's happening as well) but I could totally wrong.

From what I've been told so far, the RM1x has a tough learning curve, but has some power sequencing capabilities over something like a BSP?

Before I spend $250 or $300 on it, figured I'd ask some uses that know the differences.

I'm about to look at the manual today and maybe get a better idea of what it can do....
Bath House
Yes, you can do what you'd like to do. You've been able to do that for decades with hardware MIDI sequencers. If anything, the technology took a few big steps back for about a decade and we're just starting to see devices like the Engine or Squarp get back to what MIDI sequencers could do many years ago, but with the addition of modern conveniences. For example, most of the old sequencers make you stop everything in order to save or load - what up with that?
Bath House
It's actually kind of hilarious how advanced MIDI sequencers got before the entire sphere was abandoned for about 10 years because everyone switched to software. It's so cheap to pick up something like an Emu Command Station, Rm1x/RS7000, MC-909 - add a MIDI-to-CV sequencer and you've got a box that do backflips and run laps around a Cirklon, Engine, Pyramid, etc. Just because these new boxes do some cool tricks doesn't meant that they're onto anything new, in spite of them being sexier and some having CV right onboard.
zeit
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. thumbs up I'm fairly new to everything, especially MIDI sequencers. I think someone mentioned that playing live with the RM1x might not be great of the save and load "thing". But for now, until I can get my hands on a much more powerful sequencer (hopefully a Cirklon) I do not think playing out live is going to be anything I would want to do. Just record and learn for now. Thanks again! w00t
Bath House
For what it's worth, that entire generation of devices was specifically designed for playing live and they're packed with realtime playback/jam/transform features. The Rm1x is loaded with things to take your existing MIDI tracks and morph them on the fly.

The Roland MC-505 has the "megamix" mode, which has not been recreated by any other sequencer since, for example. Back in the late nineties I used to hit play on that thing and perform for two hours straight without ever stopping because I could megamix from one pattern to the next like a DJ mixing records.
Zon
I've seen rm1x go for much cheaper, i had mine for 150 euro.

I use a rm1x to sequence a sampler. Just make sure it has the latest chip. Apparently there was a bug with the original firmware that messed up the sequencers output in that it wouldn't reset or something, i forgot. So you had to send your unit to yamaha and they'd replace the chip for you.

So make sure the unit you're buying has the latest chip, you can also buy them from ebay which i did for about 15 dollars, and they're easy to replace.
BugBrand
Wondered a few times whether to check one out..
I know I should read the manuals, but.. is it easy/possible to have different sequences of different lengths?
Paranormal Patroler
The only downside of said sequencers is the size and weight
if you're studio locked then they are near perfect.
zeit
Quote:
Just make sure it has the latest chip. Apparently there was a bug with the original firmware that messed up the sequencers output in that it wouldn't reset or something, i forgot. So you had to send your unit to yamaha and they'd replace the chip for you.

So make sure the unit you're buying has the latest chip, you can also buy them from ebay which i did for about 15 dollars, and they're easy to replace.

Thank you, I'll make sure I ask him if it has it.

Quote:
is it easy/possible to have different sequences of different lengths?

I'm not sure, the guy I talked to that knows a bit about it said it has, "multiple time signatures and pattern lengths per sequence.", which might be what you after. I'll have to ask him.

I definitely need to make sure it has the latest chip, I really don't want to track one down if I don't have to.
revtor
I believe the latest chip removes the bug where the RM sent out a program change when you flipped to different pattern. Or something to that effect. Don't think the Phenol responds to program change, but it may..? There is a simple way to get around this though, just set the sequence mode to voice or something like that. no big D at all. Go for the latest .13 chip if you can but if not, don't sweat it.

~Steve
zeit
revtor wrote:
I believe the latest chip removes the bug where the RM sent out a program change when you flipped to different pattern. Or something to that effect. Don't think the Phenol responds to program change, but it may..? There is a simple way to get around this though, just set the sequence mode to voice or something like that. no big D at all. Go for the latest .13 chip if you can but if not, don't sweat it.

~Steve

Ok, if there's a workaround then that's good, I am not going to sweat it at all.

By the way, the chip is this: Yamaha RM1x OS V1.13 Firmware Upgrade Chip, right? I wonder if the owner boot it up and check the "system settings" for me?

There might be one for sale so I could ask him to check the chip as he said hes clueless. lol He wasn't even sure I could use Phenol with it so I'm glad I have others to ask. Thanks for the info on this sequencer, it's very useful and good to know these things. thumbs up

I think I'm going to go with this as my first sequencer, just need to find one fo sale.
dougt
If you're getting an RM1x make sure the step button switches have been replaced.
Annwn
Aside from the switches all dying on my RM1X, I remember being surprised and a bit disappointed that it couldn't do live TR programming, or something along those lines. It was a few years ago. you kids get off my lawn
zeit
My desire to get a sequencer is overriding my patience in finding a RM1x at the moment hihi ...but, the few I've seen have not replaced the stepped button switches and have older chips. I guess I could easily do it myself but not sure if I want to fool with it. lol it's really tough to beat the BSP's price, even if it does have some issues and it isn't as deep, as far as sequencing capability.
duluthdack
EMU Command stations are Da BOMB!!!!!!!!! This is fun! This is fun! This is fun!
IanEye
revtor wrote:
I believe the latest chip removes the bug where the RM sent out a program change when you flipped to different pattern.

Go for the latest .13 chip if you can but if not, don't sweat it.

Steve,

In 2016, how does one go about getting this latest chip for an existing RM1x?

I have one that definitely has the program change problem.

thanks,
ie
zeit
duluthdack wrote:
EMU Command stations are Da BOMB!!!!!!!!! This is fun! This is fun! This is fun!

How much do they cost, on average (not wanting too spend much on my first sequencer ($250 at the most?) as I might not get along with it and sell it for another) and what models would you recommend? I'm not familiar with those at all...I will look at them now though. thumbs up

edit I see one now on Ebay for $400 OBO ...you think that's overpriced? What do you think these are worth?
Zon
IanEye wrote:

Steve,

thanks,
ie

Look on ebay
gruebleengourd
IMO the RM1x is a bit disappointing as a sequencer for other gear, and the step sequencer implementation is lousy.

Command stations often sell for less than $200, and they are much better sequencers than the RM1x. It doesn't matter so much which command station it is, but rather what roms are in it. The roms can be expensive though. The cheapest combination is usually the MP7 with mophat rom, then XL7. The PX-7 is rare and most desirable for the drum rom. You can always add roms later from the rack units.
revtor
There is an RM1X yahoo group I believe... Ask there..?

or Ebay

~Steve

IanEye wrote:
revtor wrote:
I believe the latest chip removes the bug where the RM sent out a program change when you flipped to different pattern.

Go for the latest .13 chip if you can but if not, don't sweat it.

Steve,

thanks,
ie

RM1X does have its limitations, but so does EVERY sequencer. For a noob, the RM1x allows the user to explore many ways and modes of working, gives them MIDI, synthesis and effects experience etc. They can move on to a more specific piece of gear when they understand how they want to work etc. For the price it can't be beat.
zeit
gruebleengourd wrote:
IMO the RM1x is a bit disappointing as a sequencer for other gear, and the step sequencer implementation is lousy.

Command stations often sell for less than $200, and they are much better sequencers than the RM1x. It doesn't matter so much which command station it is, but rather what roms are in it. The roms can be expensive though. The cheapest combination is usually the MP7 with mophat rom, then XL7. The PX-7 is rare and most desirable for the drum rom. You can always add roms later from the rack units.

Thanks for the opinion on the RM1x and especially on the Command Station thumbs up Now to find a willing soul to sell me one for that in that price range. lol It's amazing and pitiful how much I do not know and need to learn about MIDI sequencers. I'm beginning to love what they are though.
Eme
I had an RS7000 (the sequencer engine is the same than the RM1X's) and that thing was a beast. You could do everything in that box in a very intuitive way. Some actions required stopping the sequencer, which from today's perspective is a little annoying, but you really get used to it.

I sold it because that is a freaking BIG machine.

If you can raise your budget, the MPC 1000 with JJOS is also amazing (from 400€ or so, maybe it's too much).
bimbom
i grabbed a rmx1 this week , had a play on it tonight and it seems ok , quite intuitive to do most things , i havent opened up the manual yet , just played with built in demo tunes / fx etc... seemed nice to have some basic midi delay fx / arpeggiator , generic audio fx which were ok too.

cost £130 and is in pristine condition.. 1.13

although i read about the os upgrade apparently theres a parameter to tweak from phrase to something else which stopped it sending program changes... ive done very basic google search so i'm sure its easy to find if you need to update

theres a usb upgrade thing around too , i havent got to using the disk drive yet.
ebonics
I have one and its not jelling well with me, before I sell it anyone want to tell me what im doing wrong / missing out on?

i actually already listed it for sale, but i put it at a high price just to buy myself some re-thinking time.
Trigga
I'd go for its bigger brother, the RS7000. Very inspiring machine!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2