MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chips for 909 clones
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Chips for 909 clones
janost
For those of you building 909 clones these chips might come handy.

The CR-9 Crash
The RD-9 Ride
The HH-9 Hihat

Replaces the EPROM, counter logic and DAC.

Has trig input, level input, tune input and decay input CV's.

For the purists it also has a 6-bit digital stream output for the original resistor DAC.

32KHz sample frequency.

Simple to use and requires no external components.

$25 each or $60 for a pack of all Three.







puzo
Brilliant, that's my 909 set about to be complete. Have been wanting these for a long time, was going to use a sample player, nice fix. Cheers
janost
I'm not going to tell you what sample data are in these chips.

Let's just say they replace the original Eproms. meh
janost
And the HH-9 chip has dual trigger inputs for open and closed Hihat.
oozitron
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew
janost
oozitron wrote:
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew


All my chips include international shipping.

It has been so for over 2 years but still there are people living on the other side of the globe claming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. This is fun!

The price listed is what you pay.
Nothing more, nothing less.
janost
I've been around long enough to look at people copying the original design with 4040 counters and Eproms.

Why bother?

Digital is digital.
It wont sound any different if you build it with the same DAC?

The original design is a Prom with a counter and a lousy 6-bit resistor DAC.
On top of that there is an envelope extracted from the top address lines.

If you have the original data then it's a trivial job for a MCU to copy the whole concept, including the DAC very easiely.

If I don't put these emulator chips on the market then someone else soon will.
janost
oozitron wrote:
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew


All my chips include international shipping.

It has been so for over 2 years but still there are people living on the other side of the globe claming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. This is fun!

The price listed is what you pay.
Nothing more, nothing less.
janost
oozitron wrote:
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew


All my chips include international shipping.

It has been so for over 2 years but still there are people living on the other side of the globe claming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. This is fun!

The price listed is what you pay.
Nothing more, nothing less.
janost
oozitron wrote:
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew


All my chips include international shipping.

It has been so for over 2 years but still there are people living on the other side of the globe claming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. This is fun!

The price listed is what you pay.
Nothing more, nothing less.
janost
oozitron wrote:
Just what I needed! I have my Hexinverter 909 Kick/Snare/Clap running and have been using a sampler for hats meh

Does the $25/$60 include shipping? (I'm in the US)

Drew


All my chips include international shipping.

It has been so for over 2 years but still there are people living on the other side of the globe claming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. This is fun!

The price listed is what you pay.
Nothing more, nothing less.
medbot
I was wondering if chips include international shipping and for how long people have been claiming a discount when buying 2 or more chips. Is the price listed what we pay? More? Less?
oozitron
On the Hi-Hat chip...

If both trigger inputs receive triggers at the same time, does it play only the Open Hat sound?

Also, is there any way to adjust the decay on the Closed Hat sound?

Drew
Troubleshooter
Digital EG/VCA is seems. Posibility to get the RAW Original 909 data out for use with an analog EG/VCA?
Pitch control in 1024 steps? 32Khz @ middle pitch position or fixed?

I still believe the Original concept sounds fantastic. That depth in sound with 6 bit PCM can only be achieved with analog vca's. I have cloned the Original cirquit a few times. I have the Original and un-scrambled EPROM data sets and also replaced them with some other self recorded and compressed sounds. That stepless clocked and stepples amplified "lousy" resistor DAC cirquit still has my love and beats all other drum sampler techniques sound wise. Yes it is bulky and more expensive to build...

I tried and succeeded in your approach with Atmel Atmega's but didn't love the sound.

If you examine the old eprom data sheets vs the new ones you even find a diffrence that affects the sound. Digital isn't just digital to my opinion.

Do you have sound examples? I wonder how it sounds like
janost
oozitron wrote:
On the Hi-Hat chip...

If both trigger inputs receive triggers at the same time, does it play only the Open Hat sound?

Also, is there any way to adjust the decay on the Closed Hat sound?

Drew


If both triggers come at the same time it will play the Closed Hat sound.

The Closed Hat has a fixed decay.
janost
Troubleshooter wrote:
Digital EG/VCA is seems. Posibility to get the RAW Original 909 data out for use with an analog EG/VCA?
Pitch control in 1024 steps? 32Khz @ middle pitch position or fixed?

I still believe the Original concept sounds fantastic. That depth in sound with 6 bit PCM can only be achieved with analog vca's. I have cloned the Original cirquit a few times. I have the Original and un-scrambled EPROM data sets and also replaced them with some other self recorded and compressed sounds. That stepless clocked and stepples amplified "lousy" resistor DAC cirquit still has my love and beats all other drum sampler techniques sound wise. Yes it is bulky and more expensive to build...

I tried and succeeded in your approach with Atmel Atmega's but didn't love the sound.

If you examine the old eprom data sheets vs the new ones you even find a diffrence that affects the sound. Digital isn't just digital to my opinion.

Do you have sound examples? I wonder how it sounds like


I don't think it is much different at all if you use a exponetial EG curve?

It's all just digital bits.
janost
Ok, I see now that there is separate decay settings for open and closed hat.
Only the crash and ride has fixed decay.

So the there is a need for dual decay CV's on the hihat chip.
janost
Changes made to the Hihat chip.

And now all 3 chips have a digital 6-bit stream output for a resistor DAC.

oozitron
Thanks for adding the "Closed" decay :-)

*I will be buying this chip*... however...

Please consider (if possible) making it play the Open HiHat sound if both triggers are received at the same time. This is more like a real TR-909 works.

1) set the Closed HiHat to play on every 16th note
2) add Open HiHat notes, each of which "mutes" the CH on the same step

The beauty of it is that you can remove OH triggers and the CH triggers are still there. So you can mess around with add/subtracting OH triggers without ever having to switch back to the CH track. It's one of my favorite features of the 909.

(but even if this isn't possible I'm still buying one!!!)

Drew

some sweet 909 hats here:
https://youtu.be/0oYoRg6Ws9U?t=665
janost
oozitron wrote:
Thanks for adding the "Closed" decay :-)

*I will be buying this chip*... however...

Please consider (if possible) making it play the Open HiHat sound if both triggers are received at the same time. This is more like a real TR-909 works.

1) set the Closed HiHat to play on every 16th note
2) add Open HiHat notes, each of which "mutes" the CH on the same step

The beauty of it is that you can remove OH triggers and the CH triggers are still there. So you can mess around with add/subtracting OH triggers without ever having to switch back to the CH track. It's one of my favorite features of the 909.

(but even if this isn't possible I'm still buying one!!!)

Drew

some sweet 909 hats here:
https://youtu.be/0oYoRg6Ws9U?t=665


Ok, I'll change the priority.

I want it to be as close to the original as possible.
oozitron
That's great to hear! I can't think of any way to make this chip any better :-)

I'll be ordering on Friday when I get paid! thumbs up

Drew
janost
Note that the 6-bit digital stream is the raw Eprom data and requires an external envelope/VCA.
janost
I have redrawn this chip from the market.

I'm sorry for that but an order for just 1 chip doesn't make a market.
Jarno
While that's certainly true, how big a problem is it to keep it in your product portfolio? Is there any tooling or investment needed to keep it alive?
It's a matter of programming a chip isn't it?
janost
Jarno wrote:
While that's certainly true, how big a problem is it to keep it in your product portfolio? Is there any tooling or investment needed to keep it alive?
It's a matter of programming a chip isn't it?


Yes, it is.
But you have to support it as well.

If anyone want's a chip, send me a PM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group