MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polywav Sample Player
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Polywav Sample Player
burdij
The new Polywav Sample Player module prototype is functioning so this module should be available soon. The Polywav Player will play up to 14 simultaneous 16 bit 44.1kHz stereo samples at once from a microSD card containing up to 2048 samples. The module will support cards of up to 32 GB in capacity. There is no fixed length for each sample.

Here is a mockup of the current version. There are a total of 22 1/4 inch jacks on the 2MU panel. The microSD card is inserted through a small slot in the front panel and may be removed and reloaded by using a front panel pushbutton.

Sample playback can be triggered with a gate pulse, a combination of CV and gate signal, a USB MIDI input or a MIDI DIN serial input.

For gate pulse triggers, there is a configuration file that contains information on which file will be played when the gate signal occurs. This setting can be made from the module panel without needing an external computer.

The CV/gate trigger inputs will quantify the voltage value input and select the nearest MIDI note value and then play the associated file if it exists.

The USB MIDI and MIDI DIN inputs will play the file associated with the MIDI note command that is sent. Pitch bend information is also applied. The level of the output wave will be scaled by the MIDI velocity information received.

Here is a bench shot of the heart of the module, the polywave player module. The processor is an ST Micro Cortex M4 processor operating at 168 MHz. In addition to this module, there is a Teensy 3.1 microprocessor to handle the parameter editor, the MIDI interfaces and the OLED track display.

This video from about a year ago shows a demonstration of the previous prototype playing a set of Mellotron chorus samples.

JohnLRice
I've been long interested in this module, John! Any idea on the MU price?
burdij
The price estimate is about $300 for the MU version. The EU version probably about $270. That has fluctuated somewhat because I thought I was going to have to buy the player module from a third party but I came up with my own version which dropped the price considerably.

I am remastering some of the public domain samples like the Mellotron samples that are out there and will include those with the module along with a micro SD card (probably an 8G). I am looking for drum sample sets too. It works better with one of the better grades of cards, grade 4 or better but grade 10 seems to be the best and most affordable. The card clock runs at 24 MHz so that limits the units that will work.
JohnLRice
burdij wrote:
The price estimate is about $300 for the MU version. The EU version probably about $270. That has fluctuated somewhat because I thought I was going to have to buy the player module from a third party but I came up with my own version which dropped the price considerably.

I am remastering some of the public domain samples like the Mellotron samples that are out there and will include those with the module along with a micro SD card (probably an 8G). I am looking for drum sample sets too. It works better with one of the better grades of cards, grade 4 or better but grade 10 seems to be the best and most affordable. The card clock runs at 24 MHz so that limits the units that will work.
Cool, sounds like a good price. And big+fast SD cards are pretty cheap these days, I bought a 32 GB grade 10 one recently for about $17!
DJFonzi
It's hard to find a name-brand that's not Class 10 anymore.
Doesn't seem like this would be nearly as challenging to the card's sustained speed as what we do (4K video), but like JLR said, SDs are cheap these days.
Awesome module. It'll definitely be in my "after the house is built" list.
Hththt
Really waiting for this. Any date? Preorder possible?
Thanks for doimg this project
burdij
The module is almost complete. I am expecting what should be the final revision boards early next week. Software for the control processor is almost done. I am adding a quantizer that will take the CV and gate inputs and convert to MIDI note commands to send to the player. MIDI and trigger inputs are working and can be mapped to individual wave files or wave file libraries, one library per MIDI channel.

I have been playing with a human chorus bank, a string bank and a bank of percussion sounds and am seeing a very good response to MIDI inputs from CUBASE via a Presonus 44VSL MIDI interface. The onboard Teensy will allow direct input via USB MIDI but I wanted to see how the player handles the serial MIDI commands and so far it seems very responsive and having the ability to mix the signals scaled by the MIDI velocity data is amazing. This is true even for the percussion triggered by MIDI input. Hopefully, I will be able to record some samples shortly.

So I am hoping all the parts will come together by August week three but certainly by the Knobcon meeting for purchasable units.

I hadn't thought about a pre-order but I could certainly set one up if anyone is interested. It could be for a moderate refundable deposit against the total price of the unit and would give me an idea of how many might need to be made.
ualslosar
Interesting module & alot of great ideas.

- How does one "load" a microSD card with samples? What does one need, please?

Thanks
Larry
burdij
The samples can be placed onto the micro SD card in two ways. The card can be physically removed from the module, placed into an SD adapter and plugged into an available USB port on a computer. If the computer has media ports, those can be used, too.

The second method can be used when the player is in the editing mode. Files can be uploaded or downloaded to a computer attached to the USB port on the module directly to the card. This method is a bit slower than accessing the card directly when attached to a computer so it is probably more useful for editing single files in a file bank.

Placing the module in RUN mode after re-inserting the card causes the card to be initialized and prepared for access by the player. The LOAD button next to the microSD slot will also cause the card to be initialized for use, even if the module is in RUN mode. Of course, if you remove the card from the module in RUN mode, the player will stop immediately.

Files need to be recorded in 16 bit stereo WAV format at 44.1 kHz sample rate. I use the import and export audio file function in CUBASE to convert files in other formats for use with this player. It also allows incorporating VST effects, particularly equalizers, when exporting the audio mixdown. Using that allows the file levels and equalization to be optimized.

The module can accommodate a card of up to 32Gb so you can have many standby file banks loaded on the card by placing them in folders and not use any of the available 2048 active sample file slots.
Hththt
burdij wrote:
The module is almost complete. I am expecting what should be the final revision boards early next week. Software for the control processor is almost done. I am adding a quantizer that will take the CV and gate inputs and convert to MIDI note commands to send to the player. MIDI and trigger inputs are working and can be mapped to individual wave files or wave file libraries, one library per MIDI channel.

I have been playing with a human chorus bank, a string bank and a bank of percussion sounds and am seeing a very good response to MIDI inputs from CUBASE via a Presonus 44VSL MIDI interface. The onboard Teensy will allow direct input via USB MIDI but I wanted to see how the player handles the serial MIDI commands and so far it seems very responsive and having the ability to mix the signals scaled by the MIDI velocity data is amazing. This is true even for the percussion triggered by MIDI input. Hopefully, I will be able to record some samples shortly.

So I am hoping all the parts will come together by August week three but certainly by the Knobcon meeting for purchasable units.

I hadn't thought about a pre-order but I could certainly set one up if anyone is interested. It could be for a moderate refundable deposit against the total price of the unit and would give me an idea of how many might need to be made.

Yess. I am all in. Its exactly what i need.
So i am happy if i can preorder and can expect a module sometime in sept if lucky?
(No stressing of course!)

How to contact you about this? Just tried a message through your shop but got a mail delivery error

So excited and thankfull about this module, seriously

It has 95% of what i want.... The only thing i would still long for is a record mode so i could sample into it from the euro, but cant have everything;)
burdij
That's odd . . .

sbuge
Reminds me of the movie Maximum Overdrive
Better to unplug all synths hihi
Bowman
burdij wrote:
That's odd . . .

Sure is......So where are we in the production of this module?
Hththt
Oddness
Bowman
So did this module get made? Is it for sale?
tehfizzle
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109272&highlight=

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73206

There are more, but these should be enough.
burdij
There is a technical issue with this project and similar ones that use the microSDHC cards. The needs of 4K video cameras for faster cards that can do sustained writes has led to some optimizations of the internal controllers in these card that makes them less desirable for use in players that require random access reads. Random file reads are the diametric opposite of what a 4K video camera needs which is sustained high speed block writes.

I have been investigating the use of other media in this device. I may still go ahead with this module with the proviso that it will have limitations on the number of simultaneous streams it can play. I have other projects that require resources and so this one may be further delayed until this issue can be worked out.
tehfizzle
burdij wrote:
There is a technical issue with this project and similar ones that use the microSDHC cards. The needs of 4K video cameras for faster cards that can do sustained writes has led to some optimizations of the internal controllers in these card that makes them less desirable for use in players that require random access reads. Random file reads are the diametric opposite of what a 4K video camera needs which is sustained high speed block writes.

I have been investigating the use of other media in this device. I may still go ahead with this module with the proviso that it will have limitations on the number of simultaneous streams it can play. I have other projects that require resources and so this one may be further delayed until this issue can be worked out.

Yet it is on your website with a "Buy Now" button.
JohnLRice
burdij wrote:
Interesting, I haven't heard of this before. Searching around I found this article:
https://robertsonics.com/microsd-cards-for-audio/

I think people wanting the module would be happy to get it just supplied with one tested and approved card with a recommendation/warning for the end user to buy more approved cards right away since in the future newer, larger faster cards may not work well?

FYI and FWIW: The Mellotron Micro keyboard has all of it's sounds stored on a 4 GB Class 6 Micro SDHC card. Of course the end users can't record their own sounds so the files may have been placed on the card in the most optimized order or maybe when a sound is called up the files are just copied to faster RAM on the main board and played from there? hmmm.....
burdij
Yes, I read Jamie's article on selecting cards to use and I certainly could do that. 4-8 GB is really all that you could probably reasonably use anyway. One problem, though, is that the manufacturers are not making the class 6 and class 10 non-UHS cards anymore so it would be an issue of buying up the remaining stock. I tried to order what I thought was a 16GB class 10 gen 2 card from BH Photo Video last week but I got "upgraded" to a UHS-I card.

The card is relatively easy to remove and place in a computer to transfer sample files to it so the smaller card size is certainly not a limitation. If you need more, you could always use multiple modules (no planned obsolescence here, heh heh). I made the loading and unloading process fairly easy and controlled by the "LOAD" button on the panel.

I do have the materials and panels to make up units but I am still trying to get a couple of other projects done before going back to this as will become apparent shortly. I also have a more powerful version that uses a different processor under development and that allows record and playback of a stereo track or playback of two sets of stereo sample tracks. It has a much easier to use interface to the card file system with a larger TFT LCD screen.
Bowman
tehfizzle wrote:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109272&highlight=

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73206

There are more, but these should be enough.

Yes, I’m sadly aware of these threads. Some things never change.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1