MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 announced at Superbooth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author ES-8 announced at Superbooth
accountboy
Is there a thread for ES-8 due "later this summer" announced at Superbooth?

Too excited for ES-8 I just let my ES-3 mk3 fly for screaming goo yo
os
i think you just made one smile

There's a page for it: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html
accountboy
os wrote:
i think you just made one smile

There's a page for it: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html

I feel great that the specs say 8HP rather than TBA. It's peanut butter jelly time!

So for those of us transferring from ES-3mkIII to this, who have firewire sound cards, would you suggest we run everything via optical to our current audio interface? Or could we essentially sell our sound cards to buy more distings instead This is fun! (And perhaps some preamp for whatever synths outside of eurorack which may need recording)?

Just trying to get my head around the idea of looking at the ES-8 as an entirely new audio interface.
os
I'm optimistic about the 8HP sizing but things could still change.

If you have another sound card, then yes you could connect it via ADAT, provided it runs in a standalone mode. Or you could use an Aggregate Device/ASIO4ALL.
adam
i'd been thinking to request a low power es3 after your disting success - are you going for low power opamps etc in this one?
os
Where appropriate.
adam
jolly good
afterswish
Hmmm... was just about to order an ES-3 mk3.

Would you suggest I wait?

Thing is, it was part of a new system I was going to put together, so I'd have no way to control it in the interim...
os
The ES-8 is a way off. I would not suggest waiting.
accountboy
os wrote:
The ES-8 is a way off. I would not suggest waiting.

Again, I feel great as this doesn't read "The ES-8 is waaaay off" It's peanut butter jelly time!
ewox
Any idea of latency on a Mac with the class-compliant drivers?
os
It's too early to be measuring specs.
bgribble
I didn't quite get from the video what the ADAT connectivity is all about. It mentions connecting to an ES-3, right? So does that mean that if you connect via lightpipe to an ES-3 that your ES-8 appears as a 16-output interface without any Silent Way multiplexing? And what about the other direction for the ADAT? Can you add to the 4 channels headed back to the PC?
accountboy
For inputting external instruments and effects into euro, I will still (as on the Es-3) need to bring the audio from via (other) sound card ---> lightpipe ---> ES-8, is this correct? Rather than somehow magically using the ES-8 inputs to somehow have the external synth/effect normal to eurorack levels?

sad banana help
os
The ES-8 inputs go into the computer. You could turn them up in software and send them back out.
os
bgribble wrote:
I didn't quite get from the video what the ADAT connectivity is all about. It mentions connecting to an ES-3, right? So does that mean that if you connect via lightpipe to an ES-3 that your ES-8 appears as a 16-output interface without any Silent Way multiplexing?

Yes. Exactly like how the ES-3 appears when you connect it to the ADAT outputs of a regular audio interface.

bgribble wrote:
And what about the other direction for the ADAT? Can you add to the 4 channels headed back to the PC?

Yes, for a total of 12 channels into the computer.

You could for example add this:
https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio- Interfaces/ADA8200/p/P0ATL

for 8 more inputs/outputs, handy mic pres, 1/4" jacks etc.
bgribble
Wow, that sounds great. So it looks like it's basically replacing a setup that would have been a USBStreamer ($100) plus an ES-3 ($325) plus about 2/3 of an ES-6 ($175), plus another USBStreamer for the expansion ADAT connectors... about $650 in gear in 4 pieces replaced with one Euro device.

And expandable basically as much as one would want, up to double a single ES-3 system....

Looking forward to a timeline and pricing!
nerven
Will it switch from ADAT to SPDIF depending on the protocol of the digital device connected to it? Or is it just ADAT?
accountboy
I just noticed that the ES-8 is now available on Modulargrid, a crooked screenshot fitted into 8hp.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-8

This is fun!
Riggar
And can I confirm ..... from the web page "Driver suport: class-compliant USB 2.0 (no Windows support initially)" that there's every intention to a windows version?
os
nerven wrote:
Will it switch from ADAT to SPDIF depending on the protocol of the digital device connected to it? Or is it just ADAT?

The initial plan is for ADAT only. But at the end of the day it's just a port, so a driver update could bring SPDIF support.

Riggar wrote:
And can I confirm ..... from the web page "Driver suport: class-compliant USB 2.0 (no Windows support initially)" that there's every intention to a windows version?

The intention is there, but as ever, do not make purchasing decisions on features that are not yet implemented.
TINCT
Any news on release date as of yet?

As I really need to buy an audio interface but would prefer to get this unit.

Also any idea on a comparable interface that the conversion may be equal too?

If it's in the RME Fireface, and above, area I'm sold!
os
Too early to say, on both.
TINCT
Ok, thanks for your reply, Os
myecholalia
One of the things I love about the ES-3/ES-6 combination is that they don't require any special software to function in an environment like Max/MSP.
You just route signals to/from them and they work. Will that be the same for the ES-8?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15