MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Technique for getting this type of drum sound?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Technique for getting this type of drum sound?
zeit
I am really enjoying this record by Oil Thief (best I've heard in a while)...I'm curious though, I wonder what are some ways to get this type of drum sound? I'm about to get my first drum machine and was curious if there are types of drum machines that are better suited for this sound? Or it is mainly ran through a distortion pedal or similar and it's more about applying effects to it. I love the drum sounds he's getting...fast forward to 1.05 to start hearing it.

Hi5
I'd say get a sampler and get creative with your sample selection and mangling. The metal type sounds are almost definitely sampled sources with FX.
zeit
A sampler? OK, I got more learning to do. lol I guess run a sampler into my sequencer, which just arrived today..like you said, get creative and experiment with the gear. Thanks! thumbs up
Hi5
Depending on what sampler you get it may have a sequencer like the Octatrack, Korg Volca Sample or Electribe. An older rackmount sampler will almost definitely not have a sequencer but will prob offer more voices, fx, etc...

The nice thing about the sampler route is that you can use anything and turn it into percussion. Record banging shit around the house and with some mangling you can get a lot of new percussion sounds.
zeit
Ok, "Record banging shit around the house" sounds good. Maybe something like the Electribe 2 Sampler will allow me to record my own sounds, that might work. I need to research some samplers now and maybe hold off on the drum machines for the moment as the sampler can serve that purpose as well.
Hi5
Given the textures you referenced I think a standard drum machine with fixed sounds will be a little limited in the long run for you. A sampler will allow you to always switch things up. Plus you can always get samples of traditional drum machine sounds to use if you want as well.
zeit
Sounds like damn good advice to me. And it saves me from buying something, then having to possibly sell it. thumbs up I emailed a vendor about some samplers and asking some details. I'm glad I asked...
Hans-g
Sounds like a sampled crash played at lower keys with some kind of lfo and resampled.

Very easy to do.

The other seems a bitcrusher fx.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1