MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Z-DSP Valhalla Reverb in smaller hp?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Z-DSP Valhalla Reverb in smaller hp?
esmeets
Hi,

I really love Z-DSP Valhalla reverb, especially the "Niflheim" and "cathedral" presets demoed in this video:
(Starting at 8min)
http://youtu.be/gSNzmZEaoWA

But besides the $$ I think the module is too big and I don't really need it to be CV controllable.

Are there any good alternatives in smal HP for this kind of reverb sound?
Dcramer
None that I can think of hmmm.....

But...

CV controllable giant verbs is like this This is fun! times this This is fun! equals this MY ASS IS BLEEDING
CF3
External Reverb = 0 hp and not cv-able
FrogStar
Dcramer wrote:

But...

CV controllable giant verbs is like this This is fun! times this This is fun! equals this MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I not sure what this means but I'm terrified.
Infinity Curve
Why not just buy Valhalla room VST for $50 and be done with it, especially if you don't need cv control.
esmeets
Dcramer wrote:

But...

I am very curious about MY ASS IS BLEEDING but still... the Z-DSP is BIG and $$$ evil
esmeets
Infinity Curve wrote:
Why not just buy Valhalla room VST for $50 and be done with it, especially if you don't need cv control.

I don't want to use my computer cool
tsunamisucks
Strymon ?
brickman
Erica Synth Black Hole DSP...

http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/home/get/nid/49
esmeets
brickman wrote:
Erica Synth Black Hole DSP...

http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/home/get/nid/49

Wow thanks thumbs up
suthnear
seancostello collaborated with audio damage for the eos plugin. I keep hoping that he will do something with them for their modular range (something from vintage verb would be great)
esmeets
suthnear wrote:
seancostello collaborated with audio damage for the eos plugin. I keep hoping that he will do something with them for their modular range (something from vintage verb would be great)

That would be great but maybe he has an exclusive "modular development" contract with TipTop only...but who knows!
esmeets
Bump
sneak-thief
The Erica Synth Black Hole DSP has a port in back for an external eeprom.

The Z-DSP cards are external eeproms, interfacing with the same Spin FV-1 dsp chip.

Connecting the 2 together just might be possible depending on how obfuscated TipTop have made the cards. AFAIK they didn't want people to copy the cards, but who's to say you shouldn't be able to use the original cards with another compatible device.
esmeets
sneak-thief wrote:
The Erica Synth Black Hole DSP has a port in back for an external eeprom.

The Z-DSP cards are external eeproms, interfacing with the same Spin FV-1 dsp chip.

Connecting the 2 together just might be possible depending on how obfuscated TipTop have made the cards. AFAIK they didn't want people to copy the cards, but who's to say you shouldn't be able to use the original cards with another compatible device.

That would be awesome!! Any hackers here? wink
Dogma
So easy question - is there any copy protection on the z-dsp?
Not to rip Tip Top off but Sean Costello could presumably port his code to any v-spin based unit???
TheSolenoids
I've had the Erica Black Hole for a week now. I have many reverbs in my studio. On the DAW I prefer Aether, which is a wonderful modeling reverb. But as you say, having something in the modular is extremely useful for a number of reasons.

I do not have the Tiptop z-DSP, so I can't directly compare. But I do have lexicon and TC hardware and UAD and ProTools examples, so I'm pretty spoiled.

Black Hole is a bit noisy. Not as bad as Clouds, which is to say, pretty darn good. It doesn't appear to be converter noise, so a better eeprom with longer smoother tails should be possible. Hopefully Costello will be interested.

I'm having great fun with the BH. It is one of those modules that rewards you when you close your eyes and dial it in. Keeper!
esmeets
TheSolenoids wrote:

I do not have the Tiptop z-DSP, so I can't directly compare.

Cool! Do you also own (or demoed) the Valhalla reverb plug-in? this should sound the same as the Z-DSP Valhalla... still really curious how the Erica DSP compares to the Valhalla oops
HeWhoWantsJeans
esmeets wrote:
TheSolenoids wrote:

I do not have the Tiptop z-DSP, so I can't directly compare.

Cool! Do you also own (or demoed) the Valhalla reverb plug-in? this should sound the same as the Z-DSP Valhalla... still really curious how the Erica DSP compares to the Valhalla oops

If I recall correctly, the Z-DSP card isn't exactly like the Valhalla Reverb VST. The architecture is vastly different and Sean made changes to suit it.

I own the card but not the VST and I can say it sounds fantastic.
Dogma wrote:
So easy question - is there any copy protection on the z-dsp?
Not to rip Tip Top off but Sean Costello could presumably port his code to any v-spin based unit???

I believe there might be methods to keep you from reading back manufactured cards via the Numberz, but I haven't tried.
continuum
The Valhalla Z-DSP cards do not use any code from the plugins - two totally different platforms.

As for copy protection, it is difficult to get the code off the cards which is why we can have third part developers like Sean create cards without having their hard work stolen.
Dogma
continuum wrote:
The Valhalla Z-DSP cards do not use any code from the plugins - two totally different platforms.

As for copy protection, it is difficult to get the code off the cards which is why we can have third part developers like Sean create cards without having their hard work stolen.

So Tip Top dont have an exclusive deal with Sean? ie Sean could port HiS code to whatever manufacturer he pleases?
esmeets
continuum wrote:

Ok thanks for explaining.
Would it be possible to port or convert the Valhalla card to use it in Erica's DSP?
continuum
Dogma wrote:

So Tip Top dont have an exclusive deal with Sean? ie Sean could port HiS code to whatever manufacturer he pleases?

I can't publicly discuss any business arrangements we have with Sean or anyone else.
continuum
esmeets wrote:

Would it be possible to port or convert the Valhalla card to use it in Erica's DSP?

Not legally.
Dogma
continuum wrote:
esmeets wrote:

Not legally.

Why? its Seans code?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5