MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Gristleizer Eurorack Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author The Gristleizer Eurorack Module
masterofstuff124
I just got the new PCB from EAR. but i cant find a build guide or BOM. ive been messaging them but to no avail. anybody got one?
Stides
I had got an email from Mark. Must have missed you. I'm not sure it's open to share but check your pm.
masterofstuff124
thanks! now i cant continue without a build guide. doh. i guess ill just have to be patient.
Stides
Actually I got my full kit today explored what I sent you and realize there is only a BOM and no build guide or wiring diagram or anything. I messaged Mark on Twitter to find out what's up. Not sure if it's not done yet or they are expecting more from us or what. I don't think there is any way to work out where the abcdef etc wires go on the jacks without something more.
masterofstuff124
they said they are working on it.
colossus
Getting my two kits tomorrow. Hoping the build guide pops up soon.
mrfang
Also waiting for that wiring guide so that I can finish the build. I know this company is small, but it's pretty unprofessional to have shipped these kits before the documentation has been written.

And was everyone else's kit missing the 82k resistor, R19? It's not included in the BOM but does appear in the PCB silkscreen.
colossus
Did anyone's kits come with power cables? Mine also came with a broken pot, as in, the entire lead portion was broken off and not even in the bag.
mrfang
No power cable.

They charged $12 for shipping but spent $6.80 to mail us each kit, so they should have extra money to ship missing or replacement parts.
colossus
Per facebook, supposedly this is actually coming today. We shall see.
colossus
Build guide is up: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9VRneCaCgnDaUpEUjNzX3MzSGM
EndangeredAudulusMark
Thanks y'all, I missed this thread until now - <3 u @colossus
EndangeredAudulusMark
mrfang wrote:
No power cable.

They charged $12 for shipping but spent $6.80 to mail us each kit, so they should have extra money to ship missing or replacement parts.

Todd didn't know that power cables come standard with modules now, which I corrected. He packed the kits himself, and if I had seen him not packing them with power cables I would have told him then and he would have stopped, made the cables, and repacked them.

People who bought preassembled ones are going to get power cables - do remember that everyone got their kits at a significant discount, so, in a sense, you have money "leftover" to buy one (that is, if you would have bought the kit at full price).

As for the shipping cost, included in the cost is the packing materials, the labor for packing, the gas to drive it to the post office, etc. Also, postage changed since we took the orders and on some of them (the international ones) it actually cost more.

All that said, thanks for buying a kit! These are the last kits we're ever going to do, but we do have many modules and pedals coming out this year, including the upgraded AD4096 (which will also be for Eurorack and eventually 5u).
EndangeredAudulusMark
mrfang wrote:
Also waiting for that wiring guide so that I can finish the build. I know this company is small, but it's pretty unprofessional to have shipped these kits before the documentation has been written.

And was everyone else's kit missing the 82k resistor, R19? It's not included in the BOM but does appear in the PCB silkscreen.

Todd thought that he just needed to change a few thing from the tabletop manual, but realized he had to just rewrite the entire thing, which then took much longer than expected. We shipped them out before we had the guide done because he figured he'd have the manual done quickly - he shipped them out without the manual because we were already running behind our projected date, and we didn't want to make you wait any longer than you had to - we made a mistake, and should not have shipped them until later, we're sorry.

Also, there was a typo in the BOM, leading to the missing 82k resistor. We are willing to mail one out to anyone who bought a kit and asks for one. Also very sorry about that.
masterofstuff124
What's a good replacement for the 1n4738? I don't have any.
Isaiah
EndangeredAudulusMark
While you're here, could you recommend a decent UK PSU for the latest version of the desktop Gristleizer, please?
Preferably not SMPS, I seem to have bad experiences with them (noisy).

Apologies for straying off topic, folks.
EndangeredAudulusMark
@Isaiah - if you refer to the 2nd page of this guide here, it explains how our version has been optimized to work with SMPSs, as the transformer ones are difficult to find. You won't have noise problems with our unit with one.

http://www.endangeredaudioresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/TG_Assembly_ Guide.pdf
thorncore
have any uk pcb only orders arrived yet?
cheers.
ilya.n
Got my kit in Australia a couple of days ago.

The manual is pretty good, I followed it without any problems.

Don't forget the M-N jumper and a ground wire from jacks to a main pcb.

I like the ergonomics, the layout is spacious and comfortable to play with. Same goes for the pcb - no messing around trying to squeeze components in.

The module has a quality alu panel.

I hope that plastic jacks hold well. I had experience with plastic jacks in Doepfer and Expert Sleepers modules, and the latter are a bit wobbly.

Overall, I am very satisfied and looking forward to more Endangered Audio releases.

Cheers!

colossus
BUT...how does it sound? Mr. Green
mrfang
Finished my build and it sounds great!

Haven't yet tried a direct comparison with the standalone unit I built in 2010 from the Taylor Livingston pcb, but looking forward to exploring the new CV control options.
colossus
Just finished mine and I burnt it out. As soon as I plug it in, boom...smoke and all that. Did I wire the header right? Key should be facing inwards? Thus, neg on bottom? No clue what the hell happened. With neg on bottom, my cable was upside down (red on top, due to the key). I guess I then just put it in the header on my PS wrong, but how could I do that if it's keyed? Was my cable just keyed backwards? Ugh.

I should only need to replace the 5817 diodes, right?
colossus
Well, went ahead and replaced the diodes (nothing looked burnt or otherwise messed up, including diodes) and now it doesn't smoke or smell, but when I plug anything into any of the jacks (where the other end of the cable is plugged elsewhere in my rig) both the +12v and 5v lights on my uZeus go out. Any ideas here?

I've quadruple checked IC and transistor orientation as well as all wiring.

Should I just try replacing the ICs? (I also noticed that the ICs shipped just loose in the parts bag...isn't that bad for them w/o anti-static measures?)
Starspawn
Theres no standard keying unfortunatly, so if it was wrong first time its still wrong, and if both your PSU and module is keyed differently youll have to cut off the plastic from one.

Or PS not keyed? If so the logic is easy, red stripe means nothing but indicating which sides are connected. So if your keyed header puts the red on the positive voltage on module, red goes to positive on PS.
ClausF
check if you have short between +12V/GND, -12V/GND, +12V/-12V. That what I always do, before I power up a module.

Strange that -5V goes out, doese the module need -5V? If not, the -5V line is not involved, and there should happen nothing. If the LED goes out, the 5V line is somehow connected - shortened- to the circuit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4