MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is this noise? Give me some feedback.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Is this noise? Give me some feedback.
pugix
I've been doing some kinda noisy stuff recently. I've been influenced a little by some local noise performances. I met this guy, Cory O'Brien.

http://myosound.com/

Cory performed using Ableton Live to mix 40 samples of sound he had created with PureData. It was great! And he was nice enough to show me how he did it.

Well, I am primarily analog modular. I am messing around with a type of noisy FM that is based on a VCO that starts at zero Hz. Today I routed some of that through Audio Mulch. I'm wondering how this seems to the noise crowd. I might get to perform it. All comments welcome. Thanks!

http://pugix.com/synth/granulated-zero-fm/
pugix
Sorta surprised that nobody replied yet. Wondering why. It's my first post in Synth Noise.
jonkull
I don't make or listen to noise so I can't comment on that but I thought your track was pretty cool. Guinness ftw!
slovo
Sorry, I've been avoiding music lately because I've been mixing tracks a lot recently. :( But I'm listening to your piece now. Before I begin there are clearly 2 problems to this scenario -- I haven't participated much in the Noise section here but I am a pretty big fan of japanoise and NY experimental -- first rule of noise kinda has to be #1 can't care if anyone likes it. This isn't because you don't care, of course you care almost everyone cares, but it would really inhibit noise production to worry too much about it right..? Personally my favorite noise is sneakily musical. But when I make noise, I do it to not have to worry about keeping time or entertaining people. XD Challenge #2 to your noise listening project -- and it is most definitely noise -- is that it probably sounds WICKED on some 12" JBLs but it's a little uninspiring on my earbuds (which are decent earbuds haha but you know). So you may want to work a bit more on your spatial sound effects, try to get them richer and fuller, because the sound itself is pretty intense but the recording isn't bringing out the full potential. It never will, noise is definitely a live thing, but I think that part could be better.

OK, it's over now, and yeah, I dug it. smile I like to layer my noise pretty thickly. Again, I think this piece would be pretty badass at about 110 dB. wink
Waz
I listened to this last night before bed with out commenting. I have to say it's fairly good! It feels like a droney piece.
neandrewthal
I don't know if it's "noise" but if it is it's definitely my type of noise.
sunsinger
I saw some noise artist from Germany... he was great, he worked on noise rhythms, as the noise built to a crescendo, if you can believe that.

You have to think of noise like on the TV in Poltergiest the movie, where it sounds all white noisy and high static, and you can hear voices being made of noise coming through. I think good noise comes from the school of thought where ghostly voice noises are heard through the static, like spirits. Pitched high frequency or rhythmic noise, can be considered this too. but mostly it's manipulation of very high frequency white noise formants and rhythms and pitches, as I understand it.
sunsinger
oops double post
pugix
slovo wrote:
first rule of noise kinda has to be #1 can't care if anyone likes it. This isn't because you don't care, of course you care almost everyone cares, but it would really inhibit noise production to worry too much about it right..?

Astute observation. With all performance art there's the ego trip aspect. You may act like you don't care about anything but the art, but everyone is tempted by fame. Making noise for a live audience is a bit of a weird phenomenon. I think it makes sense ONLY as a performance. I have a CD by Insects With Tits, who I saw perform. They do the no-input mixer deck feedback stuff. It makes for a good performance, but I only listened to the CD once. Yeah, 110 decibels seems reasonable live, but not in my living room. hihi

I expect that some people will like what I do - there's someone to like just about anything. I aim to please myself, and that's difficult enough. The recording I posted just happened. I thought it sounded cool, so I recorded a bit. This is how I work. Recording for me is taking a snapshot of something I happen to be working with. My goal is to enjoy myself by making weird sounds and once in a blue moon to maybe play out live. No name for myself, no money, not part of a scene, but maybe some happenings.

The noise thing is an exploration for me. I rather tend to favor tempered scales and drones. If you dredge the New Music category on my site, you'll find a lot of different things. Just snapshots.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
clarke68
That's not noise, that's music! evil

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I actually wanted to post that last week, but didn't want your only to reply to be snarky/dumb.

Nice track, tho! I've never been to a live noise event, so I don't know the kinds of things that go over well (or not) in those circles. From my "browsing the web listening to free downloads" perspective on noise, it seems like the process of how it's made is at least part of the appeal. To that end, I've been pretty fascinated with all of your "West Coast Box" output.
de_raaf
like the track, compaired to noise, its not so aggressive, or loud in sound, but that isn't always necessary, but i do like stuff to sound like a crackling fire kind of feel, i think their is some interesting stuff happening, i would say besides looking in to more noise (as gerne), also dig into some of the older experimental, avant garde electronics, or composers like xenakis etc

i'm pretty familiar with noise listening seeing etc but personally i find a term like "synth noise" too limited or too much in a box for what i want to do.

do your thing, and don't always play with the same tricks, work methods
analoglsd
The track is totally noise.
It's not "harsh" noise, but it's noise all the same.
If you're insecure about it, just run it through some overdrive or fuzz.
BTW: I LOVE Audiomulch. The granulator was a revelation to me about 10 years ago.
I totally over-use the granulator on a track, that I would consider "noise" although it has some heavy melodic undercurrents, called "Through Fire"
If wanna check it out go here:
http://www.myspace.com/usa4lsd
authorless
My stuff is even more tame than this (I think, at least) and i play with noise humans almost exclusively.
Madrayken
pugix wrote:
I've been doing some kinda noisy stuff recently. I've been influenced a little by some local noise performances. I met this guy, Cory O'Brien.

http://myosound.com/

Cory performed using Ableton Live to mix 40 samples of sound he had created with PureData. It was great! And he was nice enough to show me how he did it.

Well, I am primarily analog modular. I am messing around with a type of noisy FM that is based on a VCO that starts at zero Hz. Today I routed some of that through Audio Mulch. I'm wondering how this seems to the noise crowd. I might get to perform it. All comments welcome. Thanks!

http://pugix.com/synth/granulated-zero-fm/

Some really nice sounds there. It does really need another layer under there to under-pin it... and here's the kicker...

IMHO!

If you want to explore 'sparse noise' it's your call, your choice of genre. I like really 'thick' noise/drone and so I want all noise/drone to be thick. This is my personal fetish and nothing more.

Good luck and keep it up!
pugix
Madrayken wrote:

Some really nice sounds there. It does really need another layer under there to under-pin it... and here's the kicker...

IMHO!

If you want to explore 'sparse noise' it's your call, your choice of genre. I like really 'thick' noise/drone and so I want all noise/drone to be thick. This is my personal fetish and nothing more.

Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks for the IMHO. Nothing wrong with personal fetishes. I actually prefer 'thick' noise/drone, and I am getting back there. There is the little problem of thick=lots of modules, which conflicts with the aim of being able to carry enough of them to make a performance. I guess that's why I've been building a bunch of dense modules lately. hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1