SSSR Labs Kotelnikov

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway

SSSR Labs Kotelnikov

Post by talfred » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:52 am

[video][/video]

Do we really need yet another oscillator I thought when I found this on Matrixsynth and then I saw the video and I changed my mind. I want this, reminds me a bit about Orgone Accumulator, but maybe even cooler. Haven't heard of this company before, but great that Russia is now also making eurorack modules.
Last edited by talfred on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
euxine
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:47 am
Contact:

Post by euxine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:58 am

Looks pretty groovy! :banana:

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by basicbasic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 am

Hope it's DIY like his terrific clock divider!

User avatar
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: krellifornia

Post by windspirit » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 am

Sounds pretty good, but what is a "professional vintage DAC?"

User avatar
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5426
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Dcramer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 am

Long hair cool accent black Davies :tu:

User avatar
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Post by clusterchord » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:52 am

[video][/video]



dig the cripsy bright sound. tempting feature set. could be a nice complement to my synthetech e350, which is definitely smoother and darker than this.

User avatar
10 Miles High
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am
Location: Moscow

Post by 10 Miles High » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Looks really groovy to me too, I have only one question: why "SSSR labs" and not "CCCP labs" instead? Who know russian a bit will get me )

I understand that the decision is made already, but still :hihi:

10Mh

User avatar
vytis
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Post by vytis » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I don't want to get carried away with politics, but I would never buy a product named SSSR or CCCP. Why not Third Reich? Or Nazi Labs? It's easy to throw names around and it may sound exotic and cool to those uninformed, but it must be remembered that CCCP was run by a notorious regime. Millions of people were tortured and killed by Stalin & Co. Using political symbols on a synthesizer is the worst fucking idea. Seriously.

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Post by Zymos » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm

I'll never buy anything made in the USA, cause the genocide of Native Americans.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:14 pm
Location: copenhagen

Post by tommygee » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:30 pm

vytis wrote:I don't want to get carried away with politics, but I would never buy a product named SSSR or CCCP. Why not Third Reich? Or Nazi Labs? It's easy to throw names around and it may sound exotic and cool to those uninformed, but it must be remembered that CCCP was run by a notorious regime. Millions of people were tortured and killed by Stalin & Co. Using political symbols on a synthesizer is the worst fucking idea. Seriously.
Funny post :yay:

User avatar
vytis
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Post by vytis » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Zymos wrote:I'll never buy anything made in the USA, cause the genocide of Native Americans.
You misunderstand me. I did not say I'll not buy anything made in XYZ country. I said it's not right to use political symbols, especially those that refer to notorious regimes, such as the Soviets. How would folks feel about an Auschwitz oscillator, uh? We need to be sensitive, that's all I'm saying Sir.

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Post by Zymos » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:53 pm

The Soviet Union was also responsible for a huge number of scientific achievements.

If some Russian guy wants to reference the Soviet Union, I figure that's his business. Just as it is yours to be offended, I guess....


Way cool oscillator- sounds great and has some neat features. I'd be happy to have one.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Post by talfred » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:00 pm

basicbasic wrote:Hope it's DIY like his terrific clock divider!
Yes, it says so in the second video! I'd like to build it too.

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by basicbasic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm

talfred wrote:
basicbasic wrote:Hope it's DIY like his terrific clock divider!
Yes, it says so in the second video! I'd like to build it too.
Awesome. I neither have the space or the money but I WILL FIND A WAY!

Opnotic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 pm
Location: Portland USA

Post by Opnotic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 pm

In the second video linked on this thread it does say available as a DIY kit. I love the SSSR VC Divider.

BTW, it stands for Solid State Sound Research (according to their site, -just figured it should be mentioned.)

User avatar
MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm
Location: On Your Mind

Post by MATSmile » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 am

vytis wrote:I don't want to get carried away with politics, but I would never buy a product named SSSR or CCCP. Why not Third Reich? Or Nazi Labs? It's easy to throw names around and it may sound exotic and cool to those uninformed, but it must be remembered that CCCP was run by a notorious regime. Millions of people were tortured and killed by Stalin & Co. Using political symbols on a synthesizer is the worst fucking idea. Seriously.
I hope next module will be Stalin & Co, just so your utterly sensitive American soul can express the pain of all the tortured Russian people.

BTW, really like the demo

kjellb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 am
Contact:

Post by kjellb » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 am

This discussion is getting off topic. Do not forget that the Soviet union made the biggest sacrifice fighting Nazism and was an allied of the US.
Last edited by kjellb on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Parametex
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by Parametex » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:37 am

Zymos wrote:The Soviet Union was also responsible for a huge number of scientific achievements.

If some Russian guy wants to reference the Soviet Union, I figure that's his business. Just as it is yours to be offended, I guess....


Way cool oscillator- sounds great and has some neat features. I'd be happy to have one.
I guess using your logic using swastika would be game too?

:msnsmack:

The module sounds cool, would like to hear how it sound 2 octaves lower.

User avatar
mbartkow
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 am
Location: Moonbase Alpha

Post by mbartkow » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:51 am

FIY, swastika is an ancient religious symbol used in Hinduism and Buddhism to this day.

SSSR was a symbolic short of a country, not a symbol of a totalitarian ideology. Many industrial products (including synthesizers) had this "Made in SSSR" badge, and there is nothing wrong with expressing sentiments for those crude and temperamental achievements of engineers struggling behind the Iron Curtain.

This discussion is really ridiculous

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 am

mbartkow wrote:FIY, swastika is an ancient religious symbol used in Hinduism and Buddhism to this day.

SSSR was a symbolic short of a country, not a symbol of a totalitarian ideology. Many industrial products (including synthesizers) had this "Made in SSSR" badge, and there is nothing wrong with expressing sentiments for those crude and temperamental achievements of engineers struggling behind the Iron Curtain.

This discussion is really ridiculous
Indeed! The swastika is a common sight on trucks and busses in India for sure!

I am quite certain that the SSSR is not used in this context as a celebration of oppression either! You could take this idea and probably obliterate 99% of all language and symbolism if you looked deeply enough!

Please don't get me wrong vytis I'm all for folks making a stand against outrageous expressions of racism or any ill-conceived public display of wrongness, we need more people like this, but I don't think this is it :)

edit: I got so distracted by the politics I forgot to say this looks very cool, loads of nice features! Cool video, but looking forward to hearing more and some demos :tu:

User avatar
HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Ooh, a KIT?

I'm in. So in.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

User avatar
vytis
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Post by vytis » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:38 pm

This topic has been derailed, yes. But as someone who HAS actually lived behind the iron curtain I feel like I do have the right to express my concern. I have close relatives who were tortured and killed as part of the Great Purge (that's how Stalin built SSSR!). You can say all you want, but putting names such as NAZI or SSSR on an instrument should not be tolerated. Even if there is a clever transcription behind that. If you don't know the meaning then just don't use it. Simple.

:monkey:

I'm out!

User avatar
MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm
Location: On Your Mind

Post by MATSmile » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:50 pm

vytis wrote:This topic has been derailed, yes. But as someone who HAS actually lived behind the iron curtain I feel like I do have the right to express my concern. I have close relatives who were tortured and killed as part of the Great Purge (that's how Stalin built SSSR!). You can say all you want, but putting names such as NAZI or SSSR on an instrument should not be tolerated. Even if there is a clever transcription behind that. If you don't know the meaning then just don't use it. Simple.

:monkey:

I'm out!
You obviously had some difficulties with your history class back in school. USSR is alliance of countries, Nazism is a name of a regime. Get your terminology straight. I guess you have to find modular company called communism and go agro there as much as you want. :despair:

User avatar
digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: PA in the ol' USA

Post by digitalganesha » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Technically "Nazi" refers to a political party. The Nazi National Party took political control of the Third Reich. There were many people within the Third Reich that did not support or agree with the politics and actions of the Nazi Party, hence why numerous assassination attempts were made upon Hitler. Anyway....

It's his right to call his company whatever he wants, just as it is your right to name yours. There is no good and evil in actuality. Everything is a balance. You can't have it one way for you, and not for someone else because you don't agree with them.

User avatar
Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 pm

MATSmile wrote:
vytis wrote:This topic has been derailed, yes. But as someone who HAS actually lived behind the iron curtain I feel like I do have the right to express my concern. I have close relatives who were tortured and killed as part of the Great Purge (that's how Stalin built SSSR!). You can say all you want, but putting names such as NAZI or SSSR on an instrument should not be tolerated. Even if there is a clever transcription behind that. If you don't know the meaning then just don't use it. Simple.

:monkey:

I'm out!
You obviously had some difficulties with your history class back in school. USSR is alliance of countries, Nazism is a name of a regime. Get your terminology straight. I guess you have to find modular company called communism and go agro there as much as you want. :despair:
Wow, award for most inappropriate post of the day goes to...

Re-read his previous posts, realise you're an ass and should probably stop and think before you question someone's else's intelligence

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”