MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSSR Labs Kotelnikov
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author SSSR Labs Kotelnikov
talfred

Do we really need yet another oscillator I thought when I found this on Matrixsynth and then I saw the video and I changed my mind. I want this, reminds me a bit about Orgone Accumulator, but maybe even cooler. Haven't heard of this company before, but great that Russia is now also making eurorack modules.
euxine
Looks pretty groovy! It's peanut butter jelly time!
basicbasic
Hope it's DIY like his terrific clock divider!
windspirit
Sounds pretty good, but what is a "professional vintage DAC?"
Dcramer
Long hair cool accent black Davies thumbs up
clusterchord

dig the cripsy bright sound. tempting feature set. could be a nice complement to my synthetech e350, which is definitely smoother and darker than this.
10 Miles High
Looks really groovy to me too, I have only one question: why "SSSR labs" and not "CCCP labs" instead? Who know russian a bit will get me )

I understand that the decision is made already, but still hihi

10Mh
vytis
I don't want to get carried away with politics, but I would never buy a product named SSSR or CCCP. Why not Third Reich? Or Nazi Labs? It's easy to throw names around and it may sound exotic and cool to those uninformed, but it must be remembered that CCCP was run by a notorious regime. Millions of people were tortured and killed by Stalin & Co. Using political symbols on a synthesizer is the worst fucking idea. Seriously.
Zymos
I'll never buy anything made in the USA, cause the genocide of Native Americans.
tommygee
vytis wrote:
I don't want to get carried away with politics, but I would never buy a product named SSSR or CCCP. Why not Third Reich? Or Nazi Labs? It's easy to throw names around and it may sound exotic and cool to those uninformed, but it must be remembered that CCCP was run by a notorious regime. Millions of people were tortured and killed by Stalin & Co. Using political symbols on a synthesizer is the worst fucking idea. Seriously.

Funny post applause
vytis
Zymos wrote:
I'll never buy anything made in the USA, cause the genocide of Native Americans.

You misunderstand me. I did not say I'll not buy anything made in XYZ country. I said it's not right to use political symbols, especially those that refer to notorious regimes, such as the Soviets. How would folks feel about an Auschwitz oscillator, uh? We need to be sensitive, that's all I'm saying Sir.
Zymos
The Soviet Union was also responsible for a huge number of scientific achievements.

If some Russian guy wants to reference the Soviet Union, I figure that's his business. Just as it is yours to be offended, I guess....

Way cool oscillator- sounds great and has some neat features. I'd be happy to have one.
talfred
basicbasic wrote:

Yes, it says so in the second video! I'd like to build it too.
basicbasic
talfred wrote:
basicbasic wrote:

Yes, it says so in the second video! I'd like to build it too.

Awesome. I neither have the space or the money but I WILL FIND A WAY!
Opnotic
In the second video linked on this thread it does say available as a DIY kit. I love the SSSR VC Divider.

BTW, it stands for Solid State Sound Research (according to their site, -just figured it should be mentioned.)
MATSmile
vytis wrote:

I hope next module will be Stalin & Co, just so your utterly sensitive American soul can express the pain of all the tortured Russian people.

BTW, really like the demo
kjellb
This discussion is getting off topic. Do not forget that the Soviet union made the biggest sacrifice fighting Nazism and was an allied of the US.
Parametex
Zymos wrote:
The Soviet Union was also responsible for a huge number of scientific achievements.

If some Russian guy wants to reference the Soviet Union, I figure that's his business. Just as it is yours to be offended, I guess....

Way cool oscillator- sounds great and has some neat features. I'd be happy to have one.

I guess using your logic using swastika would be game too?

The MSN Smack!

The module sounds cool, would like to hear how it sound 2 octaves lower.
mbartkow
FIY, swastika is an ancient religious symbol used in Hinduism and Buddhism to this day.

SSSR was a symbolic short of a country, not a symbol of a totalitarian ideology. Many industrial products (including synthesizers) had this "Made in SSSR" badge, and there is nothing wrong with expressing sentiments for those crude and temperamental achievements of engineers struggling behind the Iron Curtain.

This discussion is really ridiculous
guestt
mbartkow wrote:
FIY, swastika is an ancient religious symbol used in Hinduism and Buddhism to this day.

SSSR was a symbolic short of a country, not a symbol of a totalitarian ideology. Many industrial products (including synthesizers) had this "Made in SSSR" badge, and there is nothing wrong with expressing sentiments for those crude and temperamental achievements of engineers struggling behind the Iron Curtain.

This discussion is really ridiculous

Indeed! The swastika is a common sight on trucks and busses in India for sure!

I am quite certain that the SSSR is not used in this context as a celebration of oppression either! You could take this idea and probably obliterate 99% of all language and symbolism if you looked deeply enough!

Please don't get me wrong vytis I'm all for folks making a stand against outrageous expressions of racism or any ill-conceived public display of wrongness, we need more people like this, but I don't think this is it smile

edit: I got so distracted by the politics I forgot to say this looks very cool, loads of nice features! Cool video, but looking forward to hearing more and some demos thumbs up
HeWhoWantsJeans
Ooh, a KIT?

I'm in. So in.
vytis
This topic has been derailed, yes. But as someone who HAS actually lived behind the iron curtain I feel like I do have the right to express my concern. I have close relatives who were tortured and killed as part of the Great Purge (that's how Stalin built SSSR!). You can say all you want, but putting names such as NAZI or SSSR on an instrument should not be tolerated. Even if there is a clever transcription behind that. If you don't know the meaning then just don't use it. Simple.

Peter Grenader

I'm out!
MATSmile
vytis wrote:
This topic has been derailed, yes. But as someone who HAS actually lived behind the iron curtain I feel like I do have the right to express my concern. I have close relatives who were tortured and killed as part of the Great Purge (that's how Stalin built SSSR!). You can say all you want, but putting names such as NAZI or SSSR on an instrument should not be tolerated. Even if there is a clever transcription behind that. If you don't know the meaning then just don't use it. Simple.

Peter Grenader

I'm out!

You obviously had some difficulties with your history class back in school. USSR is alliance of countries, Nazism is a name of a regime. Get your terminology straight. I guess you have to find modular company called communism and go agro there as much as you want. seriously, i just don't get it
digitalganesha
Technically "Nazi" refers to a political party. The Nazi National Party took political control of the Third Reich. There were many people within the Third Reich that did not support or agree with the politics and actions of the Nazi Party, hence why numerous assassination attempts were made upon Hitler. Anyway....

It's his right to call his company whatever he wants, just as it is your right to name yours. There is no good and evil in actuality. Everything is a balance. You can't have it one way for you, and not for someone else because you don't agree with them.
Infinity Curve
MATSmile wrote:
vytis wrote:

Peter Grenader

I'm out!

You obviously had some difficulties with your history class back in school. USSR is alliance of countries, Nazism is a name of a regime. Get your terminology straight. I guess you have to find modular company called communism and go agro there as much as you want. seriously, i just don't get it

Wow, award for most inappropriate post of the day goes to...

Re-read his previous posts, realise you're an ass and should probably stop and think before you question someone's else's intelligence
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5