MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Understanding the Krell Patch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Understanding the Krell Patch
fhars
The Krell patch and its derivatives seems to be quite popular around here, and I always found it a bit challenging to figure out what is does, because most posts I have found that try to explain these kind of patches are accompanied by pictures of tangles of wires connecting moderately complex modules. So I finally tracked down a relatively readable picture of what someone linked to as the original Barton Krell patch and followed all the wires and cross checked the unreadable fine print on the modules with pictures on the BEMI site and drew a schematic of the patch. Maybe others find it helpful, too:

The sound generation is driven by the cycling function generator in the center, with relatively short attack and decay times (the attack and decay pots on the 281e Quad Function Generator are set to 0.3, maybe seconds). It produces and AD envelope that controlls the VCA, and an End Of Cycle trigger (which should better be seen as a start of next cycle trigger here, that makes it easier to see what happens). Every time this trigger fires, the Stored Random Voltages module produces a new quantized pitch CV value, that is fed into the VCO, and then the audio out is sent through the VCA (which seems to be called a Dynamics Manager in Buchla land) controlled by the envelope and finally a band pass filter. So far this is a quite staightforward monophonic architecture.

The original patch uses another slowly cycling function generator (attack and decay set to three) as an LFO to control the timbre of the VCO, which seems to be some kind of wavetable oscillator.

The Stored Random Voltages module has its range and chaos controls set to maximum.

The long term development is driven by two Fluctuating Random Voltage channels set to low, but different rates of change. The slower one directly controls the skew parameter of the Stored Random Voltages which determines if it tends to select lower or higher pitches, while the other one controls the centre frequency of the filter. Additionally, they control two more slowly cycling functions generators via their decay respectively attack parameters, which in turn control the attack and decay times of the function generator that controls the audio generation. So when the attack time of the audio envelope decays slowly, the SRV preferentially selects high notes, although I am not sure if it is possible to hear this correlation.

Share and enjoy.
Dcramer
Awesome thumbs up nice to see!

Here's a little vid I did a couple of years ago detailing a Euro version:

I had to do a lot of Buchla research to figure out the equivalent module functions. Mine is a little different in that it's two voiced and the second voice is chords, that change root and quality, derived from the melody, but less frequently. My melody voice makes use of a highly correlated Wavefolder/ring mod patch, but doesn't have the high/low note tempo correlation. w00t
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Well, that's just about the best Krell patch I've heard, and I still maintain that Krell music is a real advance in synthesizer technology, and somebody should make a whole album of this stuff (if they haven't already). Back in the day, it would have been released on Nonesuch.
FatBob
Great stuff!

We must keep the Krell thread going.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68872&highlight=

Woohoo!
Dcramer
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Well, that's just about the best Krell patch I've heard, and I still maintain that Krell music is a real advance in synthesizer technology, and somebody should make a whole album of this stuff (if they haven't already). Back in the day, it would have been released on Nonesuch.

Thanks oops
I did actually do such an album, based on Krell and Dream Machine patching.
I've actually complicated the patch in two ways, one by creating a much more complex changing resonant melody voice, and two by introducing a Form Engine which alters the whole patch throughout.

Next I start work on a fully polyphonic Krell patch This is fun!
carlosnyb
The Barton method can be boiled down to:

3 patterns w/ cv-influenced duration (vc lfo, vc envelope or slew, whatever has a shape and can be adjusted sufficiently by cv input to affect overall pattern duration)

2 different varying voltages to influence 2 of the patterns w/ cv-influenced duration

1 pattern w/ cv-influenced duration will be influenced by the other two patterns w/ cv-influenced duration, can be used for dynamics/volume cv, and at its end of cycle sample/hold will be triggered to capture 1 somewhat randomly varying voltage for pitch.
DanPacific
Dcramer Those Krell patches are absolutely stunning! The way you've integrated chords in the patch is amazing and I feel really inspired to try something similar. Unfortunately, I don't have any chord generating module, but I have a quantimator, so maybe I can work around it somehow...
strangegravity
me too dumb
jimmie
Dcramer, that's SO good (Enigma's also fantastic)! Love your stuff. This is really getting to contemporary classical music. I guess you like Zappa by the way hihi
strangegravity
This is really awesome by the way. If I can figure it out I want to throw the QuBit Nebulae in there.
Abyssinianloop
Thanks for doing this work! Also, I admire your hole-punching.
pitri
I tried this last night - didnt really work out to be very krellish, but very random though once i threw the woggle into the mix. better luck next time
JamieH
I am still trying to get my head around it, but I know I love it, Krell type of patches are pretty much the reason I got into modular.

I love the Krell patch Jedi Master Barton did for the easel, I seem to gravitate to it every time I get the easel out.
Heliophile
Fantastic sounds and explanations, Dcramer!!! SlayerBadger!
goom
DCramer - that is an EXCELLENT PATCH! SlayerBadger!
PeterDeVault
fhars wrote:
The Krell patch and its derivatives seems to be quite popular around here, and I always found it a bit challenging to figure out what is does, because most posts I have found that try to explain these kind of patches are accompanied by pictures of tangles of wires connecting moderately complex modules. So I finally tracked down a relatively readable picture of what someone linked to as the original Barton Krell patch and followed all the wires and cross checked the unreadable fine print on the modules with pictures on the BEMI site and drew a schematic of the patch. Maybe others find it helpful, too:

Hi fhars - Would you mind posting your diagram again? I was staring at it for a few days but when I reloaded my browser window after a restart, the link appeared to be broken. I'm hoping to play around with the concept today. Thanks!
fhars
Interesting... it just vanished from my list of uploaded pictures. Maybe it fell victim to the same gremlin that ate the search function. Should be back now.
PeterDeVault
Thanks! Guinness ftw!
PrimateSynthesis
Dcramer wrote:

we're not worthy

Awesome synthesis thumbs up

(I would have rolled some of the high end off the master, although what I'm hearing might be the result of YouTube's craptacular sound quality seriously, i just don't get it )

Anyway, the picture in the first post is working again It's peanut butter jelly time!
Dcramer
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Dcramer wrote:

we're not worthy

Awesome synthesis thumbs up

(I would have rolled some of the high end off the master, although what I'm hearing might be the result of YouTube's craptacular sound quality seriously, i just don't get it )

Anyway, the picture in the first post is working again It's peanut butter jelly time!

Yeah I'm pretty deaf these days Miley Cyrus wait till you here the mess I've got coming! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Don T
Dcramer wrote:

I had to do a lot of Buchla research to figure out the equivalent module functions. Mine is a little different in that it's two voiced and the second voice is chords, that change root and quality, derived from the melody, but less frequently. My melody voice makes use of a highly correlated Wavefolder/ring mod patch, but doesn't have the high/low note tempo correlation. w00t

jawdrop

we're not worthy
gonkulator
I'm confused as to how something "Krell" doesn't refer to the original music created by the Barrons in 1956, and instead refers to a Buchla based patch, which wasn't even around in 1956. What am I missing?
MacroDX
gonkulator wrote:
I'm confused as to how something "Krell" doesn't refer to the original music created by the Barrons in 1956, and instead refers to a Buchla based patch, which wasn't even around in 1956. What am I missing?

Mainly because the original music wasn´t a modular patch but tape music.
The Krell patch however tries to reproduce the original not only sonically but also in terms of composition, using a certain degree of randomness with yet a recurring pattern.
strangegravity
OK I got one. How do I patch it.

chvad
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I finished one a couple of years ago but the video part of it held things up for quite a while. It SHOULD be out on Silber Records in the next few months... I'll def share here...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2