MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Something's afoot at the MOTM Yahoo Group
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Something's afoot at the MOTM Yahoo Group
decaying.sine
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/motm/message/33019
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/motm/message/33039

You should consider pasting in your message here at Muff's Paul to get some more perspective and feedback.
paults
In a nutshell:

a) I can sell 200 Euro modules with 1 hand tied behind my back and looking cross-eyed

b) my last new MOTM module, the MOTM-730 has sold < 40 units in 2 years.

c) not counting the 5U Cloud Generator and Morphing Terrarium, what *other* assembled 5U modules are of interest (in general)

d) I need to have at least 2 modules this year that I can sell ~ 60 of each in order to justify all the R&D $$/time versus the Euro which sells LIKE HOTCAKES

Soapbox Soapbox Soapbox
SynthBaron
Or you could just do limited runs of your Euro modules in FPD MOTM format.
loydb
I'm kind of late to the game, but I'm just sad you aren't doing bare PCBs anymore. Then they can be built to whatever format the user wants.

loyd
sduck
He is still selling bare pcbs. Look on his order page.
paults
Correct, all the current analog modules have bare pc boards, front panels, jack, pots, knobs , wire, coax and Extra Parts Kits.

You're 95% there It's peanut butter jelly time!
ritchiedrums
I posted at the Yahoo group: SEQUENCER like the one in the NAMM 2006 YouTube........ love
ritchiedrums
paults wrote:
In a nutshell:

a) I can sell 200 Euro modules with 1 hand tied behind my back and looking cross-eyed

b) my last new MOTM module, the MOTM-730 has sold < 40 units in 2 years.

Soapbox Soapbox Soapbox
Curious to see how many MOTM-730 modules sell in Euro.........
paults
a) that's the MOTM-600. I have to redesign the CPU board (and rewrite the code....sigh....). But I have all the mechanical parts and this fall after I ship the 5U CG I will look at getting that cranked up again.

b) no plans this year for the '730 in Euro, but high probability for 2011.
Funky40
paults wrote:

d) I need to have at least 2 modules this year that I can sell ~ 60 of each in order to justify all the R&D $$/time versus the Euro which sells LIKE HOTCAKES

i'm into 5HE and Euro.
my opinion: please don't make ANY Euromodules that are like expensive doepfer.
Stop safing stupidly on the hardware on euromodules to just get down the price a bit.
Make the same stuff in euro and motm format, and it will add to both formats .
This way you can do the VERYsame A&D for both formats in my opinion, just with sepearate PCB artwork.

Do you think it is worth to go for cheap eurostuff ?
do you think 350$ or 390$ is cheap ?
i don't think so.
( i have to patch a -0.08V offset to get a proper sine on the XY out of the E350. hey, its a 390$ module )

going ONE route for both formats will add to both formats
thats my opinion !
schmidtc
FWIW, I chose MOTM because it's the nicest DIY option I could find. In the foreseeable future, I'm probably not going to buy anything I can't put together myself, even if it's uber-cool. There's about 15 projects in line before I'd consider any of the newer modules. I get the feeling I'm in the smallest minority here, but also not alone.
pugix
I, too, chose MOTM because of DIY, but I also bought a 650 and 730. I am just waiting to see what Paul decides to do. Fully assembled, expensive MOTM modules are going to make me think twice before buying. But I know they'll be hard to resist. Especially after I see the inevitable J.L. Rice videos. screaming goo yo
synthetic
I don't understand why you can't just make one main board for both, then a pot board, jack board and panel for each. Have someone else make the 5U panel, pot and jack sections if you want.

Or a simple kit where we attach the pots & jacks to the panel.
wetterberg
synthetic wrote:
I don't understand why you can't just make one main board for both, then a pot board, jack board and panel for each. Have someone else make the 5U panel, pot and jack sections if you want.
because modern module designs have the pcbs parallel to the front plate, and all the pots and jacks mounted inbetween other components. No flying wires, none of the traditional diy friendly pot boards with ribbon cables. None of that.

In fact, making the same module (pcb and all) for two formats doesn't really make a lot of sense, since pcb=basic layout of front panel.

(having said that I do, in some respects, agree with funky40; go all out, don't be afraid to make things that are "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" embedded-linux monsters - as you said, it'll sell!
synthetic
Yeah, the old boards are also like that. Maybe he can do something clever to put both pot footprints on the same board.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1