MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Power distribution question...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Power distribution question...
K9Mike
I'm exploring various powering / distribution options and was wondering why the PSCONN2 board has a 6 pin connector instead of just using the same 4 pin for the connection from the PS ?
Muff Wiggler
wow, sorry for leaving this thread untouched for so long oops

i have wondered the same thing. I cannot figure out why. Perhaps as a little push to get people to buy the connector cables from Blacet? hmm.
plord
Insurance so you don't plug the source into the distribution jacks and vice versa?
K9Mike
Muff Wiggler wrote:
wow, sorry for leaving this thread untouched for so long oops

i have wondered the same thing. I cannot figure out why. Perhaps as a little push to get people to buy the connector cables from Blacet? hmm.

No problem! Actually, the lack of replies answered the question for me. smile

I've been exploring alternatives to the Blacet power solutions. I'm trying an extremely low noise (ripple) linear supply that has 6 times the capacity as the Blacet PS500 for about the same price... meaning I can run 6 or more racks worth of modules off of single supply... and buy more modules instead of power supplies. smile

And in the same DIY vein (as well as trying to save some $$$ here and there), I've also created my own "PSCONN2" boards:

You can see it does not have the 6 pin connector. In my "scheme", the "PSCONN3"s are daisy chained together, with only the first PSCONN3 being connected (via heavy gauge wire) to the power supply (rather than each having its own connection to a PS). All the connectors are the same 4 pin connectors as modules.

Another difference is I have 2 surface mount LEDs, one for both the +15V and -15V rail for a quick visual that both supply rails are good. (It appears as though the PSCONN2 only has a single led.)

Just for the record, I have no intention of producing these for sale. These are for my own personal consumption to 1) create something with better functionality for my application, and 2) save a little money (my "PSCONN3"s cost about US$12 each.... not including my labor. smile )

After I get my system up, I'll provide a few more details regarding the parts. Maybe it'll be of use to others building up their racks.

Thanks for the reply !

- Mike
K9Mike
plord wrote:
Insurance so you don't plug the source into the distribution jacks and vice versa?

There's really no "Ins" or "Outs"... meaning you could use a 4pin to 4pin cable to connect the power supply to any of the 4 pin connectors on the PSCONN2, and it would work fine... assuming the pins on the PS connectors are ordered the same as the pins on the PSCONN2. If not, you'd have to make a cable, changing the order on one of the connectors... so obviously -15v on the PS went to -15v on the PSCONN2... COMM went to COMM,... etc.

My initial thought was that Blacet used 6 wires from the PS (2 for each rail, and 2 for Gnd) to the PSCONN2's for extra current handling. But after seeing the "6 pin to 4 pin" PS "hook up" cable, it didn't appear the 6 pin connector had a purpose, hence my post to see if I was missing something obvious... or not so obvious. Perhaps it did have a purpose at one time, and the 6 pin connector is more or less a legacy.. or maybe it's for some future purpose.

Also strange on the PSCONN2 is the fact that the 6 pin inputs are "convoluted" with respect to the 4 pin connectors... meaning it is the COMM and the +15 pins on the outside, with -15V on the 2 inner pins, where as +15 and -15 are on the outside, with COMM in the middle on the 4 pin connector. It is clearly very purposefully designed, but the purpose escapes me. smile

- Mike
BugBrand
K9Mike wrote:
....my "PSCONN3"s cost about US$12 each....

Have you tried www.pcbcart.com?
--- I've had similar recently and you should be able to get the price down pretty darn low - maybe $2 a pop?!
I've been very pleased with their service since I began using them.
photon
Here's a shot of my home made (ghetto) distro boards, no etching required. They're just unclad pcbs. The connectors are epoxied down and the electical connections are lengths of copper buss wire, soldered point to point. Work great and cost next to nothing.
K9Mike
They have good prices if you can endure huge lead times. For a fairly quick turn, they are only slightly cheaper than local board houses for very low quantity runs.

However, I am working on some prototype modules, and should I ever go into 'production', their long lead time prices are pretty appealing. Thanks for the suggestion!

BugBrand wrote:
K9Mike wrote:
....my "PSCONN3"s cost about US$12 each....

Have you tried www.pcbcart.com?
--- I've had similar recently and you should be able to get the price down pretty darn low - maybe $2 a pop?!
I've been very pleased with their service since I began using them.
K9Mike
photon wrote:
Here's a shot of my home made (ghetto) distro boards, no etching required. They're just unclad pcbs. The connectors are epoxied down and the electical connections are lengths of copper buss wire, soldered point to point. Work great and cost next to nothing.

Wow, very nice! I am too lazy to do point to point anymore. smile That epitomizes D-I-Y .. and it certainly beats other solutions economically by a mile! (Or kilometer, if you speak metric. smile )

- Mike
Kwote
Mike this is great. i would love to learn how to deal with all of this. PM me or call me up soon.

-Kwote
K9Mike
Kwote wrote:
Mike this is great. i would love to learn how to deal with all of this. PM me or call me up soon.

-Kwote

Are you going to the AH Calif. gathering next Saturday?
Kwote
K9Mike wrote:
Kwote wrote:

-Kwote

Are you going to the AH Calif. gathering next Saturday?

hell yeah. i'm gonna try to be there all freakin day if my stomache will allow. i haven't really factored in the human need to eat yet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1