MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SteamPunk/MU Hybrid coming to 5U?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SteamPunk/MU Hybrid coming to 5U?
essex sound lab
Just saw this post on the Dotcom-format list:

Quote:
Hi Folks,

This is my first day and first post to this forum. Glad to be here, looks like
a lively bunch! :-)

I too am designing a line a modules and apparently like most of you, the panel is a Holy Grail. My SteamPunk inspired modular uses black PCB material as the subtrate and I just used the coper for the lettering etc. I never originally intended it to look like the DOTCOMs, but now that I'm planning on making modules for sale (hope this doesn't get me kicked out of here..) the panel struggle is ON!

I'm considering using the same black PCB technique but using aluminum "L" brackets the protrude slightly from the black panels for strength as well a giving it a more .COM look. The lettering would be tin plate coated in a satin laquer, giving a satin silvery look. I can then have the panels made almost completely by a board house, mounting the L brackets here.

If anyone's interested, I can mock-up something to show the PCB/L bracket combo.

Doug Slocum

Here's a pic of his SteamPunk modular in case you haven't seen it:

More at: http://picasaweb.google.com/dougslocum/MyModules#

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm intrigued. Of course there's also that little issue of how the modules actually sound... 8_)
russma
the copper makes it sound phatter. Duh!

meh

Mr. Green
essex sound lab
Yeah, I should have added this to the "What makes the 5U sound?" thread!

d'oh!
russma
I usually like the steampunk stuff, but I'm not big on this.
xart
thermionicjunky
Forget the copper look. He's using a different technique for his commercial modules. If he sticks to what the format needs, such as the parametric EQ, phaser and flanger, he could be successful. It's a good thing that the format isn't languishing.
russma
amen, brother.
russma
@ Xart: uh, yeah. I probably don't like it as much as Johnny Depp wannabe there.

meh
Mr. Green
SynthBaron
FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD. CHRIST.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1