MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

248r MARF - external clocking
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 248r MARF - external clocking
jondent
Does anyone know how to clock a MARF externally and
retain my pulse settings?

The set up I used was:
Operating mode: "Stop" for each stage.
Stage address is "internal" & "cont/strobe" is set to the middle position.

My clock is plugged into the "start" jack.

Everything appears to work as it should except that I can't see any pulse voltages at any of the outputs (except for the "ref" output).
even though the pulse output lights appear to be triggering.
See video below:

Only the top channel of the 280 triggers (plugged into the "ref" out).
The lower three channels don't trigger (plugged into the "all pulses", "pulse 1" & "pulse 2").
The leds for pulse 1 & 2 indicate otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers Jono Guinness ftw!
djangosfire
Hi Jono!

Each stage programmed to Stop, indeed sets the MARF up to be run from an external clock. Yes, programmed stage pulses (Left, Right & ALL) should be sending out pulses as expected..indeed, that is a bug you have found - I passed this on to Roman , and expect there to be a firmware update smile

Thank you for sharing - cool
vgermuse
Hey Jono,

Here's the setup from Roman,
"Set time to short period, clock to start and then pulse out to stop. It will stop itself after each step and then started again by the external clock. Should work, it's from the original manual. Time will designate the portamento of the step is sloped"

I just gave it a whirl and it works, this is my understanding of the patch:

And here is a video of that patch in action:

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVeUNPK3hrWS9tcXNUQw

Let me know how it goes. w00t
jondent
djangosfire wrote:
Hi Jono!

Each stage programmed to Stop, indeed sets the MARF up to be run from an external clock. Yes, programmed stage pulses (Left, Right & ALL) should be sending out pulses as expected..indeed, that is a bug you have found - I passed this on to Roman , and expect there to be a firmware update smile

Thank you for sharing - cool

Thank you very much Adam. thumbs up thumbs up
jondent
Wow Todd,
That's awesome. applause
I'll try this tonight.

Cheers Jono Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
vgermuse wrote:
Hey Jono,

Here's the setup from Roman,
"Set time to short period, clock to start and then pulse out to stop. It will stop itself after each step and then started again by the external clock. Should work, it's from the original manual. Time will designate the portamento of the step is sloped"

I just gave it a whirl and it works, this is my understanding of the patch:

And here is a video of that patch in action:

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVeUNPK3hrWS9tcXNUQw

Let me know how it goes. w00t
vgermuse
p.s. Adam has indeed found a few bugs, especially when slowing down the external pulse. Fixes on the way. Enjoy!
Reed
I'm the geek who told Roman about that patch. Hopefully after his fix you won't have to use the 281 as a pulse delay.
vgermuse
Reed wrote:
I'm the geek who told Roman about that patch. Hopefully after his fix you won't have to use the 281 as a pulse delay.

Thanks Reed!
roman_f
guys - i'm still on a move, will receive my work stuff in 2-3 weeks and will fix all the bugs. thank you for patience!
jondent
roman_f wrote:
guys - i'm still on a move, will receive my work stuff in 2-3 weeks and will fix all the bugs. thank you for patience!

Many thanks Roman. Rockin' Banana!
Hiflygunther
Hi ,any news about a firmware update?
Thanks!!!
jondent
I haven't seen one yet. hmmm.....
If there is an update Roman could you please
paste the link here.
Many thanks, J Guinness ftw!
batchas
Deleted.
jsicp
is there a way to clock the 248 from just a 208?
Cobramatic
jondent wrote:
I haven't seen one yet. hmmm.....
If there is an update Roman could you please
paste the link here.
Many thanks, J Guinness ftw!

Be nice if Roman could give an update on this.
It is an important feature that the Marf should be syncable to an external pulse.
It's now been 4 months since it was raised and sounded as though he was looking into it....

Roman ...???
batchas
Oops... See next post...
batchas
Cobramatic wrote:
It is an important feature that the Marf should be syncable to an external pulse.

Here is how I do to sync it to an external clock until an update is made available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khj3HCcatAw

Stop on all steps, ext. clock into START & STOP. STROBE & INT.

Maybe you mean there's no pulse at the output of the 248r? I did not try but this should work too.

EDIT: I checked and there are pulses at the output if you have set one on a step. It works.
rayce
Batchas can you do a demonstration where you program pulse 1 and pulse 2 to do some sort of pattern and show that they are triggering when you have stops on all the steps?

On mine when I have stops on every steps and use the start stop method to clock I lose the pulse outputs. Nothing from all out pulse 1 or pulse 2.

It is the same issues as Jondent at the top.

If yours is working perhaps there is a new firmware out??
Cobramatic
batchas wrote:
Here is how I do to sync it to an external clock until an update is made available

Thanks for that work around video Batchas.

I believe Jono and I tried that a while ago and if I remember correctly it is effectively dividing the clock by 2 because you are pulsing on then off - is that correct?

also seem to recall that it hampers the pulse outputs per step - i'll need to check that again though.

At least it is a partial workaround though.
batchas
@Cobramatic: Exactly clock is divided by 2. Personally I always divide my original clock to make beats, so I can take the orginal clock which is twice fast (if you kanow what I mean).
@Rayce: you are right, the Pulse LED lights on, but no signal at the Pulse output(s) waah
I was actually answering to the comment "It is an important feature that the Marf should be syncable to an external pulse.", with a workaround until update, without reading the all thread. Now I did thumbs up
batchas
I definitely agree: it needs an update.
rayce
Thanks for checking batchas. I've been running a ustep in parallel to generate my pulses but it sure would be nice if it worked on the MARF.
batchas
I noticed that it is the "stop" on the step which avoids a pulse at the output.
A pita.
bsilverberg
Do we know if the eventual fix for the 248 clocking issue is going to be via replacing components, or from a firmware update?
askthedust
Hey guys. Using the 248r for a few weeks and having a lot of fun with it. Great to finally save sequences on a 200 system.
Only noticeable bug I have for the moment is the one we all share we externally clocking it : no pulse output, but I somehow get around it.

My question is about the fact that there are two independent output sections.

I understand that you can sync them by sending the same pulses to the start and stop inputs or chose not to and have them run asynchronously.

But what is puzzling me is that you don't have the same voltage values at the respective voltage outputs, but yet it seems impossible to program two different voltage sequences since moving the sliders affect BOTH outputs. Which means it appears to me (or maybe I'm doing something wrong) that you cannot, say, program a voltage sequence on the first section, run it, and then edit each step on the second section with the sliders because it will ALSO affect the first section and mess with your first sequence.

So : can you actually program two different voltage sequences? Or is the only way to program a second sequence on the second section is to use the external inputs and have another sequencer, like the 245, sending its own voltages?

Thanks so much for you help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2