MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ornaments+crimes extended / polymorphic 4x16bit CV generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 96, 97, 98  Next [all]
Author ornaments+crimes extended / polymorphic 4x16bit CV generator
tdball
emmaker wrote:
The signal on the Teensy will be inverted first of all. So no signal on TR1 will give about 3.3V signal on the Teensy pin. When the input is about 0.6/0.7V the transistor should turn on and the Teensy pin should go to about 0V.

Much appreciated! I'll verify that and update with the results!
tdball
So the pin on the Teensy for TR1 isn't dropping to 0V, and the transistor stays at a constant ~3.2v with our without a jack plugged in.

Doing a bit more digging, I see that the voltage out of the TR1 Jack, sits around 0.9v instead of 0.6-0.7v (I'm using a variable power supply here to test, providing an input of around 3.6v to a TS cable, producing around the 600mV required to trigger the Teensy's pin)

So it appears to be an issue before the transistor? I don't know that I believe that. And I'm stumped as it's the third transistor I've put there. I've also replaced the resistors for good measure. And I can't see any solder bridges anywhere.
tdball
I've snagged some pictures, if it helps.

Close Up, Board shot
mxmxmx
TR1 should be easy to troubleshoot. it's literally just the two resistors and the transistor connected to teensy pin 0. so is TR1 simply not working or you suspect that malfunction is somehow related to the "reference voltage variance"? the DAC reference certainly shouldn't read 2.7V, but pretty much exactly 2.5V.

anyways, so this piece of information confuses me a bit:

tdball wrote:

When I check the pin with a multimeter to see if any voltage makes it to the correct pin on the Teensy, the display actually shows TR1 triggering A (I've been using quantermain to troubleshoot this).

if the display shows TR1 triggering A, it is triggering A, or is that only while/when poking around with the multimeter?
tdball
mxmxmx wrote:
TR1 should be easy to troubleshoot. it's literally just the two resistors and the transistor connected to teensy pin 0. so is TR1 simply not working or you suspect that malfunction is somehow related to the "reference voltage variance"? the DAC reference certainly shouldn't read 2.7V, but pretty much exactly 2.5V.

tdball wrote:

When I check the pin with a multimeter to see if any voltage makes it to the correct pin on the Teensy, the display actually shows TR1 triggering A (I've been using quantermain to troubleshoot this).

if the display shows TR1 triggering A, it is triggering A, or is that only while/when poking around with the multimeter?

Sorry should have included that tidbit. Yeah it seems that when my finger is on the probe i can tap the TR1 pin on the Teensy and it will trigger on the screen but clocks will not do it. Total stab in the dark but it sounds like some kind of a grounding issue.

The only thing I find different about TR1 than any other, is the voltage across the 33k and 100k resistors is higher than it should be. If I recall I was around 0.9V, and .... 3.7? (Measuring with my ground probe on the ground of the audio jack and the positive probe on output of the resistor). I’ll double check those numbers as soon as I get the chance.
tdball
tdball wrote:
mxmxmx wrote:

tdball wrote:

Sorry should have included that tidbit. Yeah it seems that when my finger is on the probe i can tap the TR1 pin on the Teensy and it will trigger on the screen but clocks will not do it. Total stab in the dark but it sounds like some kind of a grounding issue.

The only thing I find different about TR1 than any other, is the voltage across the 33k and 100k resistors is higher than it should be. If I recall I was around 0.9V, and .... 3.7? (Measuring with my ground probe on the ground of the audio jack and the positive probe on output of the resistor). I’ll double check those numbers as soon as I get the chance.

I've gone ahead and taken some readings again. It looks like the output of the transistor for a good socket (TR2) reads around 95mV, the output for TR1's transistor is 3.3V

The voltage after the resistors on TR2 is around 600mV, but it is indeed near 900mV on TR1 (Using the same voltage source for both trigger jacks for the reading, a 3.7V input from a variable power supply)

I'm starting to think the board might have an issue... Although I'd really like it to be a me problem and not a board problem!
Emalot
I think i have problem with the trig delay of the PIQUED MODE.
It's working when i use it manualy but if i try to control with CV, it doesn't working.

Do you know some trick to do it working?
pld
Emalot wrote:
I think i have problem with the trig delay of the PIQUED MODE.
It's working when i use it manualy but if i try to control with CV, it doesn't working.

Do you know some trick to do it working?

What firmware version are you running? There was a booboo in the Piqued CV mappings that was fixed in the latest (1.3.4?) release.
Emalot
i don't know which firmwxare i run...
i 'll try to find the last one and install it.
Thank you!
naught101
O+C hardware seems like it could potentially make for a great sampler. Especially if there was room for an SD card reader (which might be possible using the pins under the teensy?)

Does anyone know if anyone has already tried something like this? A small 4-channel sampler with CV for pitch/accent would be pretty damn cool,
pld
naught101 wrote:
O+C hardware seems like it could potentially make for a great sampler. Especially if there was room for an SD card reader (which might be possible using the pins under the teensy?)

Does anyone know if anyone has already tried something like this? A small 4-channel sampler with CV for pitch/accent would be pretty damn cool,

The hardware in this incarnation isn't really useful for audio, so if by "could potentially" you mean with a complete redesign? wink
If it's supposed to record, it'd maybe be something closer to a euro-ized Teensy audio shield, or Eurotrash with inputs, or there are a bunch of audio-enabled platforms (Bela, Owl, etc.). Or just 4x Radio Music?
naught101
pld wrote:
The hardware in this incarnation isn't really useful for audio, so if by "could potentially" you mean with a complete redesign? wink

If it's supposed to record, it'd maybe be something closer to a euro-ized Teensy audio shield, or Eurotrash with inputs, or there are a bunch of audio-enabled platforms (Bela, Owl, etc.). Or just 4x Radio Music?

Ah, I misread the DAC specs and the bit about the DAC and display sharing the SPI bus..

The Eurotrash looks cool! Looks kinda hard to come by a PCB though..
amir
I recently updated to the newer 1.3.4 firmware and straight away noticed that the gates in sequins stopped working. Tested on two units. I am running both in unipolar if that makes a difference. Haven’t tested other apps yet.
gimber
New build, all is well.except output A is stuck at 1.25v.
DAC pin 1 changes in response to voltage changes in references app, but output A's 24k9 is reading 1.25 regardless of the voltage set in references.

I've reflowed everything in that general area, any ideas where something might be off?

Many thanks in advance.
pld
gimber wrote:
DAC pin 1 changes in response to voltage changes in references app, but output A's 24k9 is reading 1.25 regardless of the voltage set in references.

I've reflowed everything in that general area, any ideas where something might be off?

Many thanks in advance.

I'd check for a short between the opamp input pins since 1.25V is the reference voltage that gets fed into the non-inverting input.
pld
amir wrote:
I recently updated to the newer 1.3.4 firmware and straight away noticed that the gates in sequins stopped working. Tested on two units. I am running both in unipolar if that makes a difference. Haven’t tested other apps yet.

Weird. I don't recall anything changing in the source recently. What version were you running before? And to clarify: what do you mean by "running in unipolar?"
amir
pld wrote:
amir wrote:

Weird. I don't recall anything changing in the source recently. What version were you running before? And to clarify: what do you mean by "running in unipolar?"

I was running v1.3.3b, the one that was released just before this one. It was working fine on that. By unipolar I meant I have the resistors setup for 0-10v cv based on the build docs. Changed them while I was on the previous firmware and everything was working correctly.

I was in a rush when I messed with it but it was showing a 5v output on my mm, just wouldn't trigger any envelopes, tried it on a few different modules as well. I believe it was locking on 5v and not dropping back down but need to retest to confirm that.
gimber
pld wrote:
gimber wrote:

Many thanks in advance.

I'd check for a short between the opamp input pins since 1.25V is the reference voltage that gets fed into the non-inverting input.

Re-soldered that op amp and a few of the nearby passives and got it sorted out. Thanks!
mxmxmx
amir wrote:

I was running v1.3.3b, the one that was released just before this one. It was working fine on that. By unipolar I meant I have the resistors setup for 0-10v cv based on the build docs. Changed them while I was on the previous firmware and everything was working correctly.

I was in a rush when I messed with it but it was showing a 5v output on my mm, just wouldn't trigger any envelopes, tried it on a few different modules as well. I believe it was locking on 5v and not dropping back down but need to retest to confirm that.

the "unipolar" mod isn't supported in the firmware; that's advice only on how that *would* be done on the hardware side. to make it work, you'll have to change the firmware, too. not a big deal, it's just that so far no one has asked for it.

v1.3.4 has some new things in there to support the Buchla Easel card, so my guess is that might be causing things to no longer work, ie your triggers/gates probably never go down to 0.000V but rather sit at 3.000V (which corresponds to "0V" when using the default output range). you could try to compile with #define BUCHLA_4U (see OC_options.h); that should work, only the display will say "1.2V" instead of "1.0V" (chances are, the inputs/display won't work 100%, unless you've modded the input range, too; that's because the Buchla stuff assumes 0-10V for both inputs and outputs).
amir
mxmxmx wrote:
amir wrote:

the "unipolar" mod isn't supported in the firmware; that's advice only on how that *would* be done on the hardware side. to make it work, you'll have to change the firmware, too. not a big deal, it's just that so far no one has asked for it.

v1.3.4 has some new things in there to support the Buchla Easel card, so my guess is that might be causing things to no longer work, ie your triggers/gates probably never go down to 0.000V but rather sit at 3.000V (which corresponds to "0V" when using the default output range). you could try to compile with #define BUCHLA_4U (see OC_options.h); that should work, only the display will say "1.2V" instead of "1.0V" (chances are, the inputs/display won't work 100%, unless you've modded the input range, too; that's because the Buchla stuff assumes 0-10V for both inputs and outputs).

Oh! I assumed only the display was off as everything seemed to be working before. I’ve changed the input resistors as well. Caliberated and everything before just fine. I haven’t messed with compiling the code before but I’ll look into it. Thanks for the help.
zer0point
Quick (possibly dumb) question - the BOM calls for 24 step detent encoders, but will 20 step work?
zer0point
zer0point wrote:
Quick (possibly dumb) question - the BOM calls for 24 step detent encoders, but will 20 step work?

To follow up on my question, I've done a bit of reading about encoders and it doesn't *seem* like it should matter, unless there is something in the firmware that specifically cares about what constitutes a single full rotation.

Another question: I was wondering what would be the earliest point in the build where I can check the voltage test points?
NiteEagle
zer0point wrote:

FWIW, I used the O&C encoders in another build (Syinsi Eulclidean) that spec'd 20 Step and it worked. I think the main thing is that it has the same encoding so the step can be detected.
pld
zer0point wrote:
To follow up on my question, I've done a bit of reading about encoders and it doesn't *seem* like it should matter, unless there is something in the firmware that specifically cares about what constitutes a single full rotation.

No, there's no actual angular measurements or anything, 20 should work.

Quote:
Another question: I was wondering what would be the earliest point in the build where I can check the voltage test points?

If you want to test all the major supplies, it's kind of "everything but the opamps and their passives", i.e. the LM1117, LM4040, ADP and their passives, the 2.5V comes from the DAC, and 3V3_D from the Teensy. If in doubt, check the schematics...
zer0point
NiteEagle wrote:

FWIW, I used the O&C encoders in another build (Syinsi Eulclidean) that spec'd 20 Step and it worked. I think the main thing is that it has the same encoding so the step can be detected.

pld wrote:

No, there's no actual angular measurements or anything, 20 should work.

Thanks! Indeed they did work fine - I just had to flip their direction during calibration. After a little troubleshooting and rework of the DAC soldering it's all up and running. My system is 100x more musical with a good quantizer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 96, 97, 98  Next [all]
Page 91 of 98