[closed] Dervish: 12HP FV-1 euro FX

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

cereyanlimusiki
Common Wiggler

Post by cereyanlimusiki » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:00 am

Add me for PCB and Panel

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:36 am

Put me down for a set

BARE BONES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BARE BONES » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:20 am

1 set please

SkoPe
Common Wiggler

Post by SkoPe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 am

I'm in for PCB/panel please. Thanks.

jamsk
Common Wiggler

Post by jamsk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Up for 1 please.

BARE BONES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BARE BONES » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 pm

1 set of pcbs please :)

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:05 pm

The +/-5V CV input provides full voltage swing at the FV-1 POT input with the corresponding control pot centered. You can get a similar full swing with a 0-10V CV with the control pot fully counter-clockwise, but then you lose the ability to set a offset with the control pot & drive the POT input in a negative direction with the CV.

Thanks for explanations, i'll add cv tools to switch the offset!

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:26 pm

I just put a few sound examples up in the first post.

spneca
Common Wiggler

Post by spneca » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm in for a set.

edwinm
Common Wiggler

Post by edwinm » Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 am

PCB and panel please!

insula
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insula » Mon May 02, 2016 2:45 pm

:woah: :woah:

i want 2 pcbs + panel

bezier
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bezier » Mon May 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Interested, depending on final price though - not sure how funds will allow for another project

Digital Larry
Common Wiggler

Post by Digital Larry » Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 pm

For anyone concerned about "where" to get algorithms, my suggestion for reverb algorithms would be to get them from the Spin "free programs" area.

For a way to build your own algorithms without needing to write DSP code, check out:

http://holycityaudio.com/spincad-designer-2/

This program is free to download and is open source.

There are a few reverb blocks in this program, but it's not optimized towards creating the best reverb. It can, however, create a lot of other stuff.

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Mon May 02, 2016 4:46 pm

I'd like to up my order to 3 please :tu:
Just had the pleasure of using one for a few hours today, mind=blown.
Monster good skills gbiz !
Wes Grayscale needs to do a panel for this...

Swann
Common Wiggler

Post by Swann » Mon May 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Add me to the list please :sb:

j_p_higgins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by j_p_higgins » Mon May 02, 2016 6:14 pm

those demos :love:

and for UK people looking for the spin FV-1

http://www.profusionplc.com/parts/SPN1001-FV1

If enough people are interested we could sort a group buy?

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Mon May 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Dammit!

I was gonna wait until the 1st builds were out there and I could see how difficult these were... and although Ive not used it yet, I have a Bus Pirate -

If I could do the programming with this, Id be in for a PCB. Otherwise I'd have to rely on someone flashing the Attiny for me.

Thoughts of a group buy pushing me over the edge :hihi:
:tu:

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 am

j_p_higgins wrote:those demos :love:

and for UK people looking for the spin FV-1

http://www.profusionplc.com/parts/SPN1001-FV1

If enough people are interested we could sort a group buy?
Profusion is where i've got mine from. No problems buying from them. IIRC their delivery was next day or so. No annoying wait for a week or so.

I was going to suggest a UK group buy. I'd happily organise it but i'm a bit busy sorting out PCBs & panels for this thing :hihi: If someone else wants to do it i'll take 2 or 3. I'd have thought we could hit the 10+ price break.

I just checked a previous invoice & their p+p was £3.50 +vat, so a GB would save quite a bit for people just wanting one assuming whoever organises this ships them on using 1st class letter post.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Tue May 03, 2016 4:57 am

Digital Larry wrote:For anyone concerned about "where" to get algorithms, my suggestion for reverb algorithms would be to get them from the Spin "free programs" area.

For a way to build your own algorithms without needing to write DSP code, check out:

There are a few reverb blocks in this program, but it's not optimized towards creating the best reverb. It can, however, create a lot of other stuff.
Digital Larry werent you cooking up some Spin programs you mentioned in a z-dsp discussion?
look up!

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Tue May 03, 2016 5:16 am

mckenic wrote:Dammit!

I was gonna wait until the 1st builds were out there and I could see how difficult these were... and although Ive not used it yet, I have a Bus Pirate -

If I could do the programming with this, Id be in for a PCB. Otherwise I'd have to rely on someone flashing the Attiny for me.

Thoughts of a group buy pushing me over the edge :hihi:
:tu:
It looks like the Bus Pirate would program both the ATTiny (using the 2x3 ISP header) and according to it's 24LC1024 example*, also supports the I2C interface at 3.3V. For the latter, you'd just need to upload each bank's binary & description text to the correct locations in the EEPROM, which i'm sure is doable.

Hmm. Maybe i should add an ISP interface to the Teensy I2C programmer i use, then it could be used to initially flash the ATTiny, & then manage the EEPROM. That would be easy to do.

Unfortunately there's no easy way i can provide a pre-programmed ATTiny for this SMT version. (I have thought about doing a through hole or partly through hole Dervish, & that could have a pre-programmed DIP version. But that would be a long way off & only once the SMT one is all done).

*http://hackaday.com/2008/11/19/how-to-t ... ce/#EEPROM

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 am

Digital Larry wrote:For anyone concerned about "where" to get algorithms, my suggestion for reverb algorithms would be to get them from the Spin "free programs" area.

As you say, there's plenty of good reverbs out there.

A lot of the other FV-1 programs out there seem to be written for guitar pedals, which is totally understandable as i guess that's been the target market. All the chorus & flange fx have built in LFO with rate/depth controlled on the POT cv's. One of the many items on my todo list is to go through one or two of them & look at replacing the internal LFO with external CV. I'd love to have a chorus or flange controlled by a complex LFO from something like Tides or E350.

What i really miss is a decent multi-tap delay similar to the one TipTop ship with the Z-DSP.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 am

gbiz wrote:..
Unfortunately there's no easy way i can provide a pre-programmed ATTiny for this SMT version. ..
Viola:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250670041374?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Digital Larry
Common Wiggler

Post by Digital Larry » Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 am

gbiz wrote:
Digital Larry wrote: For a way to build your own algorithms without needing to write DSP code, check out:

As you say, there's plenty of good reverbs out there.

A lot of the other FV-1 programs out there seem to be written for guitar pedals, which is totally understandable as i guess that's been the target market. All the chorus & flange fx have built in LFO with rate/depth controlled on the POT cv's. One of the many items on my todo list is to go through one or two of them & look at replacing the internal LFO with external CV. I'd love to have a chorus or flange controlled by a complex LFO from something like Tides or E350.

What i really miss is a decent multi-tap delay similar to the one TipTop ship with the Z-DSP.
The FV-1's instruction set includes super efficient ways to make LFO-based chorus. SpinCAD also features a "servo delay" block which is about 1/8th of a second long and can take an arbitrary control input. These blocks are based on the RAMP LFO, but they do not move anywhere unless you move them and I have used these with random LFO and what I guess is called "slewing" - a low pass filter set to a very low frequency - to great effect. It's very easy to make a through-zero flanger.

In addition, there are several multi-tap delay blocks.
One emulates the tap spacing on an old MN3011 BBD reverb chip, although you'd have to add distortion, aliasing, and reduced frequency response explicitly - for that ever-important "emulating the undesirable aspects of vintage crap" vibe. Otherwise it's just a clean multi-tap with fixed delay spacing, time control input (moves all taps together) and individual settings for tap level (which are not pot controllable).

There is a 6-tap delay for which you can set the times of each tap. My goal was to make this stereo pannable per tap but I didn't get there yet.

My favorite is the 3-tap delay with individual control times per tap.

Also there is an 8-tap delay with equal spacing.

I can build new multi-tap blocks pretty easily. I had a ten-tap block for awhile but I never used it and I don't think anyone else did either. So I removed it.

DL
Last edited by Digital Larry on Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Larry
Common Wiggler

Post by Digital Larry » Tue May 03, 2016 8:50 am

Dogma wrote: Digital Larry werent you cooking up some Spin programs you mentioned in a z-dsp discussion?
Yes, I have tons of programs laying around. The main reason for that is that SpinCAD makes it really easy to build FV-1 algorithms, although you do have to understand some aspects of the FV-1 to get the most out of it.

However, recently I have started to do FX design work for hire. I've got 4 customers at this point in time. So I'm a little less geared towards flinging stuff up here for laughs. However the SpinCAD program I wrote and use for a lot of things is freely available for you to use. I try to help people as much as I can if they ask a question on my forum.

DL

didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler

Post by didahdrieghe » Tue May 03, 2016 9:23 am

One PCB and panel please!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”