MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build] Dervish - SMT Spin FV-1 DSP fx module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 [all]
Author [Build] Dervish - SMT Spin FV-1 DSP fx module
kogz23
Yup, you were right, it was poor soldering. Pin 16 of the Spin chip was not properly soldered, This was one of my first SMT projects, some of the soldering was pretty shocking!
So now it working correctly. I will experiment with different clock sources soon...Thanks!
defalut
Hi,

I just e-mailed and i hope i will get a Dervish early 2019; not building my own since i don´t have the skills yet but i´m learning to roll my own modules so soon i hope.. smile

About the effect patches, i´m looking for a delay where feedback can be modulated, either with internal filters or external modules via send/return fb loop.
Trying to make some dubby techno here but i´m missing decent delay and reverb, so i hope Dervish can help me with that.
What do you think? Any of you use Dervish for dub-*?
toneburst
The Dervish doesn’t have external feedback loop inputs and outputs.

You could setup external feedback through a filter or EQ module with a mixer module.

Several of the delay programs have EQ in the internal feedback path, though, and control of tone and feedback on the pots/CV inputs.
gbiz
to add to what toneburst said

WRT external processing ... The FV-1 doesn't have any means as such to route the wet signal externally for processing before passing back into the dry signal. It can be done in code, using one of the DAC outputs as the feedback send & one of the inputs as the feedback return. Downside of this, the effect becomes mono. This needs dedicated coding, & none of the delay programs in Dervish currently have it, so it'd need to be coded wink

(This level of control is much easier to do with Dervish than with uDervish as you have individual control over the dry/wet mix for each channel).

But this is a modular synth. Add a few external mixers, run Dervish 100% wet, take the wet signal, process it & then mix it back in with the dry. It's not quite the same, but close. Couple this with dedicated code would be betterer.

WRT internal processing ... The FV-1 has 3 controls. With most of the delay programs, two of these are taken with the delay time & feedback amount. Typically the third is used for damping (typically a fixed frequency BPF), though the basic damping amount could be fixed & the third control could be assigned to some more dynamic. I like the idea of have the controls impact a bunch of parameters - eg as the feedback increases, the frequency, or the q of the filtering changes. As the damping increases add an extra amount of chorus or reverb. None of the existing programs have it to any great extent. It needs to be coded. wink (This is an area of interest to me & I've been experimenting with doing this recently, but nothing that i'd want to share right now).

To me, dubby techno delay needs a bit of bit of chorus & reverb. So again, with a single module, what parameters do you control with those 3 controls ?. Do you fix the reverb level ?. Or the damping ?. Or the chorus frequency ?. Or ... ?

2 dervishes work better TBH, one with delay, one with reverb. Take the output of the reverb & feed it back through filters/overdrive back into the delay, or even delay & reverb. That way you have much more control over the whole sound.

(I'll reply to your email in a while defalut).
defalut
toneburst wrote:
The Dervish doesn’t have external feedback loop inputs and outputs.

You could setup external feedback through a filter or EQ module with a mixer module.

Several of the delay programs have EQ in the internal feedback path, though, and control of tone and feedback on the pots/CV inputs.

I think you are right, a mixer would do magic. Might be the internal current controls are enough, too. I have to look around, maybe someone has already done some work on a filter that can be added to a delay. Thanks!
defalut
gbiz wrote:
to add to what toneburst said

WRT external processing ... The FV-1 doesn't have any means as such to route the wet signal externally for processing before passing back into the dry signal. It can be done in code, using one of the DAC outputs as the feedback send & one of the inputs as the feedback return. Downside of this, the effect becomes mono. This needs dedicated coding, & none of the delay programs in Dervish currently have it, so it'd need to be coded wink

(This level of control is much easier to do with Dervish than with uDervish as you have individual control over the dry/wet mix for each channel).

But this is a modular synth. Add a few external mixers, run Dervish 100% wet, take the wet signal, process it & then mix it back in with the dry. It's not quite the same, but close. Couple this with dedicated code would be betterer.

WRT internal processing ... The FV-1 has 3 controls. With most of the delay programs, two of these are taken with the delay time & feedback amount. Typically the third is used for damping (typically a fixed frequency BPF), though the basic damping amount could be fixed & the third control could be assigned to some more dynamic. I like the idea of have the controls impact a bunch of parameters - eg as the feedback increases, the frequency, or the q of the filtering changes. As the damping increases add an extra amount of chorus or reverb. None of the existing programs have it to any great extent. It needs to be coded. wink (This is an area of interest to me & I've been experimenting with doing this recently, but nothing that i'd want to share right now).

To me, dubby techno delay needs a bit of bit of chorus & reverb. So again, with a single module, what parameters do you control with those 3 controls ?. Do you fix the reverb level ?. Or the damping ?. Or the chorus frequency ?. Or ... ?

2 dervishes work better TBH, one with delay, one with reverb. Take the output of the reverb & feed it back through filters/overdrive back into the delay, or even delay & reverb. That way you have much more control over the whole sound.

(I'll reply to your email in a while defalut).

Hi gbiz, thanks for your extended reply. smile

I´ve only recently started making dubby techno so haven´t really thought everything through, but i´m not looking to have everything in the same module since i would have to sacrifice too much control. Without some kind of expander it would be impossible for anything useful to come out of it.

I´m not 100% clear on what i´m going to use in the full effect chain but i have a bunch of modules with FX and a bunch of filter modules so i´m sure it will take me a bit closer to my goal. Of course, they may not be the "right" type of FX or filters but i think it´s great fun to experiment and mostly i´m satisfied with the result with just some minor tweaks.

I´m not going to build a rack that´s customized for dub/dub techno, but i would like the possibility to add that flavour when i like. So ideally, i´m looking for modules that can do multiple duties. Dervish looks great with many reverbs, delays and other FX and together with the rest of my modules and other hardware i´m quite sure i can get to a place where i´m satisfied.

I actually thought about using the stereo outputs to separate the signal in some way, so yes the original D would be better! I like the idea of running two units like you say, too.

For now, one Dervish will suffice (it´s a cost thing too, unless i can get a discount for two units i think it will have to be one smile), maybe i can build one myself later this year but i have some other soldering to practice first..

Thanks again for the feedback! SlayerBadger!
simond4zed
Did anyone build an alternative firmware with selection of effects controlled by CV instead of triggers? Would it be easy/difficult? I dont have any experience coding..

I would be very interested in this feature as it would be easier to recall specific fx, when playing live.!
gbiz
It won't work out of the box, it'd need additional h/w to scale the CV to 0-3.3V, & to protect the ATTiny. And then code to support it. But there's no reason why it couldn't work.

One of the ADC inputs, ADC0, is unused on the ATTiny (the others are used as digital outputs), so it would have to use that. That pin/pad isn't broken out, so you'd need to take a rework wire to the pad from wherever you condition the CV.

There's a few things to consider with the code, but nothing that difficult. There should be enough free code space to support it.
simond4zed
I think we just mailed together as well? Anyways, sounds great, but with my skill set it wont be happening very frustrating
gbiz
Yes we did smile

I know you don't want to use clock pulses to do this, but the easiest way to achieve this is with uDervish & the program advance input. For your live set, create a custom eeprom with the banks organised so the programs can be sequentially clocked in the order you need them, even if it means the same program is repeated across many banks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 [all]
Page 29 of 29