MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dervish: 12HP FV-1 euro FX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next [all]
Author Dervish: 12HP FV-1 euro FX
dirkwiggler
I'm in for a PCB and Panel set too please gbiz ! hyper
sicpaul
I'd like to be in for a pcb set as well. depending on the prize maybe two hihi
loopt
I'm in for a PCB set and one EEPROM programmer pcb. thumbs up
cereyanlimusiki
Any news ?
gbiz
Sorry for the lack of update, i've got loads of things going on & i'm trying to get some bits & pieces finshed off on it as & when i can. Whilst the build is relatively straightforward, i want to try & make it as easy as possible for people to get some algorithms into it. And document the ways to do this.

I got a batch of the "production" PCBs in, built a couple up & they work as expected. The EEPROM programmer PCB works both to program I2C EEPROMs & as an ICSP (i've discovered you can use a eurorack power cable for the ICSP cable, so that's one less cable to source hihi). The only issue was the PCB fab decided to print a batch # on the front of the PCB panel. Annoying as they don't document they'd add this, some fabs do, so i hadn't allowed for it. Obviously any future batch won't have it, but it means I'll have a few very cheap PCB panels for people who are willing to put up with the batch number on the front :(

One bit of good news, the Spin Semiconductor open reverb license allows for providing binaries of the free programs they publish on their site, so i've put together an EEPROM image people can use immediately use with something like 8 banks of algorithms in it. That'll hopefully make post-build testing much easier.

Display & DSP PCB pair will be £10. PCB panel (without batch # printed on the silk) £5. Now I just need to work out shipping costs Dead Banana

To give you some idea of complete kit cost in GBP, besides the PCBs etc, the Mouser cart for the other components comes to about £15, but that's buying 0603 passives at silly one-off prices.
£6 for the OLED (cheapest i've found one for).
About £9 for the FV-1.
About £15 for the Thonk sourced bits.
About £1 worth of inter-board headers from Tayda (more if you buy from Mouser/Farnell etc).

If you want a EEPROM programmer PCB, they'll be £1. You only need one. The only parts you need for that are 1x4 & 2x3 male headers & two 1x14 female headers, plus a Teensy3. And an interface cable.

Display PCB with annoying batch # printed on silk:

Teensy + EEPROM programmer PCB being used to program Dervish (built using production PCBs), over I2C.
loopt
Good news. SlayerBadger!
sammy123
Awesome! I'd take one of the PCB panels with the batch numbers. Along with all the PCBs and eeprom PCB. SlayerBadger!
j_p_higgins
Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on one. Me and allears62 would be down for a panel each with the batch numbers on if you're looking to shift them.
allears62
In addition to what j_p_higgins said about panels we'd be down for an eeprom pcb between us in addition to the normal main pcbs just chuck it on one of our orders we'll sort it out between us.
gbiz
I've probably got about 15 of those panels to get rid of, i'll do them at £2 each. First come first served. (4 gone already wink

I tried removing the paint will all sorts of cleaners & paint strippers & it won't budge. Understandable given it's designed to withstand PCB cleaners. It scrapes off but that looks messy. The PCB fab suggested painting over it with black paint, which would probably work. Permanent marker seems to work best.
cereyanlimusiki
Hello gbiz

I am also up for one of these limited edition smile PCB Panel together with Display & DSP PCB set and EEPROM Programmer pcb with shipping to Switzerland.

you can send me a PM for payment details
masterofstuff124
I'm in for the whole set including one of the messed up pcb panels.

Is the teensy board necessary can it not be done with arduino? or is the breakout board thing just endlessly easier?

Buying the spin fv1 chip in bulk might be wise.

Looking forward to this build.

It just jumped to the top of my build list because of panel. I can get rocking immediately I love builds like that.
cereyanlimusiki
Sounds like smart idea

masterofstuff124 wrote:

lamouette/rck
Me too, i am in for a whole set, with shipping to Canada !
gbiz
cereyanlimusiki wrote:
Hello gbiz

I am also up for one of these limited edition smile PCB Panel ...

Damn, i should have charged extra for these ltd edition ones smile

masterofstuff124 wrote:

Is the teensy board necessary can it not be done with arduino? or is the breakout board thing just endlessly easier?

It's endlessly easier. You could do it with an arduino & roll your own shield on stripboard, but an arduino will run it's outputs at at 5v, so you'll need to level convert to 3.3v or you'll kill the FV-1 (there are arduino shields out there that will do this (Sparkfun have one iirc)). My sketch for the teensy on the eeprom programmer uses the fast i2c library, so you'd need to port the code back to the stock arduino i2c routines. It's trivial to do but it'd need doing. Anyway, with a teensy once you're done programming, you can re-purpose it for something useful like one of mxmxmx's cool projects, or an Orgone Accumulator.

There's other I2C programmers out there that will do the job - the one that Altitude909 found for example that will run on windows (i'll emphasise this again, mine is OSX & Linux only). But they'll cost just as much as a teensy & my breakout board, & you can't run a dedicated one as a synth module afterwards smile

masterofstuff124 wrote:

I did offer to do a UK group buy further back. Profusion charge £3.50 for p+p, so you'd save more on p+p than on the saving going from 1x to 10x pricing if i bundled the FV-1 in with the PCBs.

Edit: US folks might want to look at organising a GB from Smallbear
cereyanlimusiki
gbiz

In this case I am up for

limited edition hihi PCB Panel
Display & DSP PCB set with FV-1 IC
EEPROM Programmer pcb with shipping to Switzerland.

Quote:

I did offer to do a UK group buy further back. Profusion charge £3.50 for p+p, so you'd save more on p+p than on the saving going from 1x to 10x pricing if i bundled the FV-1 in with the PCBs.

Edit: US folks might want to look at organising a GB from Smallbear
gbiz
I just ordered 10 FV-1's from Profusion. P+P from them for 10 is the same as for 1, so those work out at £9 each.
didahdrieghe
I'm still in for 1 of everything gbiz, and a messed up panel is fine for me as well!
cereyanlimusiki
gbiz

which teensy that I need to order; PJRC website has Teensy 3.2. Is this OK?
gbiz
3.2 should be fine, i have one here, let me check before you order. I'm only using a 3.0 as i had one spare.
gbiz
I've uploaded xlsx BOMs for the display & DSP boards & the current user/build guide here.

The BOMs contain a link to the respective Mouser cart at the top. I hope they're right, i've not tried ordering with them. Sorry UK'ers, i've not done a Farnell project yet, but at least you have their SKUs.

There's also a doc & BOM for the programmer here

If anyone has trouble opening xlsx (they're created with libre office), i'll export to csv. I didn't export to pdf, with the comments the formatting gets screwed & the rows are spread across multiple pages.

The BOMs contain tips on what i've used. Hope they're useful. Let me know if there's anything i should add/amend/delete.

The one tricky component is the OLED. Both the display board BOM & the guide contain details on what to buy. I've bought a few of these from various ebay now. You order what is described as a 27.8mm x 27.3mm, 7-pin, SPI, 0.96" OLED with SH1106 controller, you get a 4-pin, or a 27.8 x 31. When things are not as described they'll refund, but it's an annoying 2 week wait from another vendor. Most of these displays can be I2C & SPI & just need some resistors swapping on the back, but there's not much you can do about the wrong number of pins or physical display size. My last order was from "kiss_buy", one of the cheaper vendors. First batch she sent were fine. Second batch were the wrong size. After some ebay pm's & some pics she eventually sent the right displays. She assures me that anyone who buys from her shop now will get the right thing. Up to you guys !!!.

The guides are a work in progress, so treat them as such.
cereyanlimusiki
Waiting for your command Houston help
gbiz wrote:
3.2 should be fine, i have one here, let me check before you order. I'm only using a 3.0 as i had one spare.
mothertongue
I'll take one of the limited edition panels, and all other PCBs please!
gbiz
cereyanlimusiki wrote:
Waiting for your command Houston help
gbiz wrote:

Yeah go for it. I used an OSHPark teensy3.2 & no problems.
cereyanlimusiki
Is this the right one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-SPI-Serial-128X64-OLED-LCD-Display-Module- for-3-3v-5v-Arduino-UNO-R3-51-/281960701174

gbiz wrote:

The one tricky component is the OLED. Both the display board BOM & the guide contain details on what to buy. I've bought a few of these from various ebay now. You order what is described as a 27.8mm x 27.3mm, 7-pin, SPI, 0.96" OLED with SH1106 controller, you get a 4-pin, or a 27.8 x 31. When things are not as described they'll refund, but it's an annoying 2 week wait from another vendor. Most of these displays can be I2C & SPI & just need some resistors swapping on the back, but there's not much you can do about the wrong number of pins or physical display size. My last order was from "kiss_buy", one of the cheaper vendors. First batch she sent were fine. Second batch were the wrong size. After some ebay pm's & some pics she eventually sent the right displays. She assures me that anyone who buys from her shop now will get the right thing. Up to you guys !!!.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next [all]
Page 4 of 30