MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mannequins "JUST FRIENDS" Manifold Generators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Mannequins "JUST FRIENDS" Manifold Generators
whimsical
With hopes and dreams of surpassing what expectations may have already materialized...

"MANNEQUINS" by Whimsical Raps
Musical Instruments for the Arrangement of Vivid Colour.
http://whimsicalraps.com

"Just Friends discussing the many facets of their empathic geometry. In generating manifold envelopes, projecting impulses, cycling on parallel gradients. Together navigate the sixth nexus into your own personal patch communion."

14HP
30mm depth
$420 USD
In stores globally: May 6

http://whimsicalraps.com

And for your racks:
http://modulargrid.net

//

This is the final piece of the monome+mannequins isms modular system. That full system is a limited edition of 10, and is available direct from monome. Further discussion over on the llllllll forum.
whimsical
A back story

Just Friends has been an all consuming project for the better part of six months. Through the process Whimsical Raps has transitioned through numerous stages of development and decline. These have materialized both personally and professionally, the lessons of which have formed the foundation for how this new creation can be conceived and described.

Originally described as a 'tempo-relative modulation source' the design centred on LFOs running at musical ratios relating to one another. Onward this concept was imagined in a simple series of integer-multiplied cycles, then extended to variable relations and eventually embracing an obsession with Harry Partch and the utonal series for an inverse relationship of rhythms. Just Friends follows the habit of other Mannequins modules by itself containing multiple, independent functional blocks, driving them with unified controls while providing 'relational' elements. This desire propels the idea of complex interactive systems where small gestures have manifold influence.

The functional endeavour was clearly aligned with the archetypal west-coast universal & function generators. Of course this small world already has enough wonderful recreations of these designs and any effort in this direction would need to look outside of boxes. Nevertheless, some concepts seeped in- three fundamental modes for different kinds of envelopes & LFOs, leading to individual trigger inputs. Reimagining the traditional Attack/Decay mentality replaced with Time/Ramp was a logical borrowing from the Mangrove (itself inspired by the DUSG), which prompted an appraisal of the modulation vs sound source question.

Running modulation oriented devices at audio rates has always been an inspiration- perhaps hearing the Moog Ring Mod transition from tremolo upward was a formative experience. Thus Just Friends was always intended to reach audio rates for some of these effects. It wasn't until reading some of Allen Strange's work about the temporal relationships in sound & music that I saw the importance of breaking down this duality, to embrace the many scales of time used in music. While this bears itself out as a panel switch between shape/sound, both modes are capable of control & audio rates (albeit with limited ranges) a principle difference being in their output voltage scaling (unipolar / bipolar).

From this dualistic modulation source / oscillator mentality some refinements of the Curve control were obvious. Ramps needed to approach sinewaves for pure oscillator tones, and inversely squarewaves were a welcome addition. The combination of Ramp allows lovely PWM sounds over squarewaves, and the 'sliding' transition from 'log' into square is designed to allow EMS-style trapezoid shapes. Frequency Modulation is also indispensible in my own sonic endeavours, so it seemed natural to add that capability here, and utilize the digital nature of the device to implement through-zero sweeps and define sounds not otherwise possible in the Mannequins range.

Rather than a menu system, Run adds modality via CV control. It began with a desire to have sequence-style control amongst the generators which ended up more gimicky than musical. Regardless the seed was planted and instead developed into a way to expand the 6 permutations of Mode & Speed. Of particular note the ability to add a sustain stage, burst generation and lpg-style oscillator pings pushes the device into alternate realms and functionalities. These additions are more of an aside than a driving force though, and they intend to ease exploration of some more complex patches without being intended as primary functionality.

The four fundaments are honed in as the primary direction. Envelopes are incredibly varied and the shaping possibilities are musically oriented. Tempo-oriented LFOs an obvious focus, with reset-style sync allowing for drifting polyrhythms that come back around. Then as an oscillator the possibilities are wide open both in terms of additive synthesis with separate (sub)harmonics, as well as FM & subtractive methods depending on your patching approach. Finally the wave impulses at audio rate push the Mangrove formant concept to a new plateau- Timbres are more gritty & glittery depending on your perspective though with multiple outputs begging for filtering.
tebs213
Sounds like a very inspiring module! Can't wait to watch demo videos.
pieter
Probably more useful would be a demo... confused
deltaphoenix
I am excited for this! Looks awesome!
Anechoic
Great module, and insightful reading about its genesis.
Looking forward to adding this and exploring its interaction with the other Mannequins.
Well done!
Dogma
Been staring at this for days! (i had a sneaky pic)

Another genius design from my favorite Eurorack maker......Gil - your a special cat smile

What colours are the LEDS? its thats its the first Mannequins module with em - tie-dye? smile
L.C.O.
Sounds totally fascinating.

Though I agree that ordering it without ever hearing it's application seems a bit crazy...
Purveyor2
This is definitely going in my rack.
Baddcr
something wonderful

Mind boggling... I don't mind admitting the language confuses me hmmm.....
enj_music
BEEN SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS!

It was great talking to you about this module back in October at MiM, Gil, and I'm so excited to hopefully get to play with it in the near future
thelizard
Oh wow I love this! I was thinking recently about the limitations of current additive voices in Eurorack. It's really cool that you've taken the additive concept and applied it to modulation signals as well. I can see this being very useful for grain envelopes. I'm also imagining all of the fun I can have mixing this with Cold Mac.
Jtalton
Baddcr wrote:
something wonderful

Seriously, can we get a explanation in dumb human speak please?
sellanraa
Ordered...excited!
thelizard
Jtalton wrote:
Baddcr wrote:
something wonderful

6 envelopes, LFOs, or oscillators. The base frequency/envelope length is set by the TIME knob. The other five are multiples or divisions of that frequency.

For audio, this is an additive oscillator, very much like the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. There seems to be more flexibility here, as it seems to have a lot of control over the harmonic relationships of the generators. You can monitor each oscillator separately, or together at the MIX output.

Each envelope has a separate trigger input. They're normalled together, so that you can trigger all of them simultaneously. However, you could use this somewhat like a Quadra with six envelopes (with less precise control over the individual envelopes).

EDIT: I've gathered this from reading the manual https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/9931/files/JF-Manual_temp.pdf?7 88062680495294863
enj_music
thelizard wrote:
Jtalton wrote:
Baddcr wrote:
something wonderful

6 envelopes, LFOs, or oscillators. The base frequency/envelope length is set by the TIME knob. The other five are multiples or divisions of that frequency.

For audio, this is an additive oscillator, very much like the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. There seems to be more flexibility here, as it seems to have a lot of control over the harmonic relationships of the generators. You can monitor each oscillator separately, or together at the MIX output.

Each envelope has a separate trigger input. They're normalled together, so that you can trigger all of them simultaneously. However, you could use this somewhat like a Quadra with six envelopes (with less precise control over the individual envelopes).

EDIT: I've gathered this from reading the manual https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/9931/files/JF-Manual_temp.pdf?7 88062680495294863

Also some pretty advanced and cool continuous morphing of waveshape for all modes...

Question for Trent:

Since it can run at audio rates up to 20k, could it be used as an interesting varislope lowpass filter?
Ranstedt
thelizard wrote:

wirelesswine
Love all of their modules. This sounds pretty amazing. Can't wait to hear.
sgnhh
must be in the minority, but I don't find the mannequins modules conceptually difficult to understand. i thought that this would be a must have back when the prototype was being shown. this plus cold mac will drop some sweet interrconnected cv mojo. the audio range capability is a neat bonus.
fr0st003
This looks super fun
onthelees
Not understanding exactly how this works actually makes me more interested in it. Come to a module with an expectation of how it will work, and that is how it will work for you. Drop your expectations, and something interesting might happen.
Blingley
sgnhh wrote:
must be in the minority, but I don't find the mannequins modules conceptually difficult to understand.

I didn't either, but after reading the rosy prose of post #2, I'm not sure what is going on anymore. If I get it right, it summons yellow unicorns that will carry your trashbags to a furnace on Saturn, but I may be mistaken.
Leverkusen
thelizard wrote:

Great, thanks for sharing this!

It all sounds very intriguing. Tough maybe I got something wrong but the pictures claryfying the function of sustain and curve do not fit the thex, do they?

Blingley wrote:
If I get it right, it summons yellow unicorns that will carry your trashbags to a furnace on Saturn, but I may be mistaken.

A short glance into kitchen direction brought up the question if they could start this immediately, maybe? hihi
eBerkhout
Damn, I love the sound of this. Have never really gelled with my MI Tides so this might end up replacing it in my case. Same size too so that makes things easy.
Raytracer
Baddcr wrote:
something wonderful

I think it's supposed to be a bit confusing.

Quote:
Discover attunement for and within harmonic pings of variable timebase, then engage complete polysyntheticism with Just Type.

eek! help seriously, i just don't get it screaming goo yo Guinness ftw! hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 1 of 32