thoughts on spring reverb

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

thoughts on spring reverb

Post by Cybananna » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm dying for a good spring reverb. I had a really crappy one and sold it with plans to get a doepfer one (arguably crappy too, I know) and i'm having second thoughts on it. Anyway, It could be new or vintage, just a good spring sound. I want real springs too. I want the imperfections they give.

Rack is ok, a mixer with spring reverb is ok, Not a combo amp, self contained unit is ok.

I've been looking at the Vermona retroverb, which seems cool, but costs a fortune. I could probably buy 3 or more "crappy" vintage ones for the same price.

Also, i've thought about the Doepfer and getting a different tank and building a box for it since my euro cases are the portable ones (unless the doepfer tank is good enough??).

hmm, yea, crappy is ok, but not really crappy. :lol:

I'd be using it for my modular / synths and drum machine mostly.

What do you guys get good sounds with?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:32 pm

The 2 that I have the most experience with, and own, are the Quad 8 Spring Reverb from yesteryear; and the much more easily findable Furman Spring Reverb which has a nifty little limiter in the input section that you can bounce percussion off of.

Spring for the Furman Spring.

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:05 pm

I have a Retroverb. I quite like it, it's as much a multi-effect as it is a spring reverb, what with the equalizer and filter. There's a VCA and EG, but the VCA just seems to me to make things a bit quieter, and the envelope generator seems a bit too subtle. A major benefit for me is that the unit is stereo, where a lot of new models like Mr Springgy, Little Lanilei, Zerotronics, and the Sole-Mates aren't.

I got mine at Novamusik. They have open box models for $200 off the MSRP. Mine was in great condition, only had a slight mark on the wood which they told me about before I bought it. I recommend dealing with Novamusik in general, really fast, friendly and helpful.

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... 300&mid=55

One thing with the Retoverb, the grey knob caps are kind of brittle/fragile. I've cracked a few just accidentally swinging a cable while moving some stuff. On the positive side, I emailed Thomas at Vermona to see if I could buy some and he mailed me 4 or 5 for free.

The Demeter RV-1 is stereo, but I didn't want a rack unit. It's roughly the same MSRP as the Retroverb ($650 or close to). Might be a more hi-fi option.

If you're game for DIY, you could buy some tanks at fairly low cost and build one pretty easily. There are some websites around that explain how to make one out of a tank and a headphone amp.
Last edited by shamann on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 pm

i have a zerotronics coolsprings LE and am COMPLETELY in love with it!

shamann is wrong on one point, it IS true stereo. i'm not sure about the "classic" reverb range though.

a mini review: completely passive spring reverb. you can set it up as two independent mono reverbs (stereo), or as a mono in stereo out device. it contains 2 springs per channel in humbucking configurations, and an input and output transformer for each spring (for a total of 8 transformers, yummy). the inputs and outputs are on xlrs and the unit has very little self noise due to the grounding, chassis and humbucking already mentioned. it receives line level on the inputs, but you need to bring the outputs back up to line level with a mic pre. the sound is amazing. driven softly with more gain from the following pre, the sound is unlike any spring reverb i have heard before, very diffuse and wide stereo spread, adds gorgeous dimension without intruding. driven harder you can get the traditional "boingy" response. i love mine, it basically just sounds really really nice!

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Babaluma wrote:shamann is wrong on one point, it IS true stereo. i'm not sure about the "classic" reverb range though.
Is it? I thought it was only stereo out but a mono input. Interesting.

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:11 pm

Oh wait, I was thinking the empty face rack model, which I think only had a single input.

Didn't remember the mini LE. Very cool looking, alas it's even more than the others (near $800).

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:11 pm

tellun NA ?

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:51 pm

thanks for the replies, it gives me some good options to look into. Many of them I didn't know about before.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:45 pm

I have a Fender Twin in the shop right now that I have to pick up. I'll try recording some through the amp's reverb if anyone wants to gear that? Anyone have a tube reverb like a Fender outboard 60's reissue (or the real thing)?

I thought that would be a great metasonics product, some sort of tube reverb pedal or even better eurorac module. Hmmm, wonder if there's a tube ringmod.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:04 am

from what I've heard, one of those cheap standalone RIAA phono preamps can amp any reverb tank. Then it's just a matter of getting the www.accutronicsreverb.com of your choice - they're cheap enough.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:41 am

The Paia Hot Springs has a reputation for doubling as a physical waveshaper.
The Tellun Neural Agonizer as mentioned above is based on the same design, but takes it to the next level x2! :twisted:
I've got a PCB on order. :hyper: + a mod board for the R2M!!!:mrgreen:

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 am

i got the van amps solemate

http://www.vanamps.com/solemate.htm

no added features just level and dwell. straight forward with very little coloration. handles hot modular signals no problem.

totally love it :love:
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:44 am

I've got my trusty Korg SE-300 Stage Echo - has a wonderful delay/dry mix BEFORE the reverb, so you can dial in some great tones right there.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:38 pm

I had zero interest in spring reverb until I heard the Tellen Neural Agonizer demos. Wow!

http://www.tellun.com/motm/diy/tln156/TLN-156.html

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

darn. you guys are peaking my interest in the neural agonizer. sucks being on the late boat. guess i'm screwed. i could use a second reverb too.

but then again.. ???
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:06 pm

There are always more modules to buy. :)

I built a 24-space cabinet, thinking that would limit my module purchases. FAIL!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm

synthetic wrote:FAIL!
EPIC OUT OF PROPORTION FAIL :hyper:
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:18 pm

now is a good time to jump kwote, got 16 tanks to go then groupbuy is done

the samples of the NA on Scott Tellun's site are worth it alone.
In terms of reverb however i think ill still pick up a DP/4 or something for really beautiful clean reverb. The NA is more of a sound modelling tool than a pure reverb.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Luka wrote:now is a good time to jump kwote, got 16 tanks to go then groupbuy is done

In terms of reverb however i think ill still pick up a DP/4 or something for really beautiful clean reverb. The NA is more of a sound modelling tool than a pure reverb.
isn't the board sold out? i'm gonna check the sound samples tonight!!
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:47 pm

i have an old Tapco reverb, stereo rackmount w/ eq, but it wouldn't fire up last time i tried (it's in the "to do" pile)...i also have a Twin, but the verb hasn't worked for awhile (2-do)...i've been having success with the IR verb in Sonar (Perfect Space), i'm no purist or expert, but it seems to have a more natural sound than other digital methods, and there are lots of things to use as well for IRs, i've barely scratched the surface...i bought a cap gun to record with my Zoom HR2, results have been positive, i'll share some results at some point in another thread....

actually i thought about getting the Doepfer spring verb (to have it right there) and swapping tanks, but i'm going to wait and see about the other bits first, i'm in no rush...

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Kwote wrote:
Luka wrote:now is a good time to jump kwote, got 16 tanks to go then groupbuy is done

isn't the board sold out? i'm gonna check the sound samples tonight!!

i told scott to send anyone who bought a pcb to the groupbuy thread and he gave no indication that they were sold out, so you might be in luck.

down to 12 tanks now.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 am

shit. why i gotta be broke. if i could somehow reserve everything til the 19th.

well i'm gonna sell some stuff on ebay. here's hoping i can cash in before the week is over.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

elemental
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elemental » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 am

I have an old Space Expander tube spring reverb. Got it on ebay cheap a few years ago - apparently its the same model King Tubby used to use!!
Its quite temperamental, could do with a service, BUT it has a lovely big sound. I love "playing" the springs. Really cool metallic plucky sounds!!

I'm interested in the NA also - the demos are v cool.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm

I just got some Tellun PCBs.
One of the Neural Agonizer boards is too big to fit vertically in a Frac.
It would have to mounted horizontally.
I'll probably put it in a U rack panel instead.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:I just got some Tellun PCBs.
One of the Neural Agonizer boards is too big to fit vertically in a Frac.
It would have to mounted horizontally.
I'll probably put it in a U rack panel instead.
can you pm me the link for the NA boards?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Return to “General Gear”