MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

New Disting MK3 not working
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author New Disting MK3 not working
mcpepe
I have just received my Disting MK3. The first I did was update it to 3.3 OS, without problems.

I turn on the Eurorack and the initial lights seems OK. I can change the algorithms and walk through the menus, but:

-I have no sounds, no triggers, lfos, ....nothing from the A and B outputs.
-The lights of the 5 connectors are always the same. They dont change and are always blue (Z), and red, red, red, red (X, Y, A, B). I can change the algorithms and the connectors' lights doesnt change.
-When I turn the Z knob the blue light doesnt change.

What happens?

os
The symptoms are consistent with the board not getting -12V. Could you try a different power cable and/or connector on your power bus?
mcpepe
Thanks for the quick answer! (and it's Sunday)

I unplugged and plugged again the connector and now is working well It's peanut butter jelly time! It was surely not well connected at the power bus.

Thanks!
Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
franman69
Ok.. I'm having the same issue. I installed latest firmware in a new disting mk II (because it wasn't working??). Firmware update looked normal as per your videos. I've not checked another power slot. Went as far as to measure voltage AT the disting pcb when turned on.. All three rails look good. I can get the Alrgorythms to change, but I can't get any function out of the unit.. No LFO, NO VCO, no quantize... just distorted waveforms when feeding through and clicks when I'm supposed to get audio out of it.

Purchased from Perfect Circuit on ebay last week.. suggestions??
os
What are the jack socket LEDs showing?
franman69
DIfferent things in different modes. I actually got the Phaser to work last night... but no output on the VCO, or LFO and I can't get the Quantizer (2B) to work.. Turning Z generally changes the color of the Z Led though..
os
Generally it either works or it doesn't. If some modes work and others appear not to, it's often because you're not in the bank you think you are, so you actually have another algorithm selected.
franman69
not sure what to tell you. I spent two hours with this last night... re-starting the system... installing firmware... restarting over and over trying to get any sound out of the device or get it to produce an LFO or get it to produce quantized CV. I'd like to be 'doing it wrong' but I'm gonna need a little more help than "generally it either works or it doesn't" to figure it out. A real manual would be a huge help. Do you have one (that I can't find)?? I found a PDF from 2014 that a wiggler had compiled but it's obviously older firmware.
os
The manual is here:
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingusermanual.html
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingalgorithms.html

with a quick reference pdf downloadable from here:
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/distingfirmwareupdates.html

By all means post a video of what you see happening if it helps.
franman69
Yeah, I've read this like 25 times. Not much of a manual. Doesn't discuss specifics of operation for any algorythms.. Doesn't refer to Mk III unit at all...I've been all over the reference guide as well. Look, I'll try again this morning when I get to work (that's where my rack is)... but Im very frustrated right now.
qu.one
franman69 wrote:
Yeah, I've read this like 25 times. Not much of a manual. Doesn't discuss specifics of operation for any algorythms.. Doesn't refer to Mk III unit at all...I've been all over the reference guide as well. Look, I'll try again this morning when I get to work (that's where my rack is)... but Im very frustrated right now.

Yeah - a full two pages of descriptions with accompanying videos really sucks.

Jeez man. Chill out. PCA will refund or replace it if it's truly not working.
franman69
Here's a video of how the unit responds in Algo 4C and 4D... tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks. (we can agree to disagree about the manual. There are plenty of great manuals for units I've purchased)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10503725/Disting%204C.mov
os
Have you at any point changed banks?

You can check the bank as follows:
- press encoder to enter menu mode
- turn to position 2 (bank select)
- press encoder
- LEDs are now flashing with the bank (similar to how they flash to show the algorithm when changing algorithm).
- select bank 1-a
- press encoder
franman69
Good to know. I thought there were FOUR banks (1-4) and four Algo per bank. So there are multiple Banks of banks? Yes, now I get a VCO in 4C and 4D.
os
w00t

Yes, banks of 16 algorithms. As described in the manual smile
franman69
okay.. I'm feeling fairly dense right about now. How do you get to Bank 1b vs Bank 1a? I understand how to get to Algo 1a vs 1b.. (maybe this is just confusing??)
os
Exactly as above:

- press encoder to enter menu mode
- turn to position 2 (bank select)
- press encoder
- LEDs are now flashing with the bank (similar to how they flash to show the algorithm when changing algorithm).
- select the desired bank e.g. 1-b
- press encoder
franman69
ok.. so it took reading the manual 26 times. I see now. There are BANKS.. then... Groups and Algos.. I didn't realize there was a top layer of Banks and I think I mistakenly moved to another bank so the Group/Algo combinations didn't make any sense at all... I must have just stumbled across the Phaser by accident. Now that I see there are Three Banks (1a, 1b and 1c) each with 16 Algos it makes more sense.

Thank you for your help. I really didn't think it was broken. I was pretty sure I was just "doing it wrong".... I don't find this unit intuitive and I don't know how I would have done it to be better, but I'll get it figured out. Still trying to figure out how to decipher the LED's for the Quantize scales...
franman69
one final thought. A complete printable (PDF) manual would be very helpful. The website is all links and sub-pages so it's not easy to create a unified PDF document from it. I like to study these manuals while I'm not sitting at the Rack... helps me be more productive with my time. Just a thought.
Innerself2007
Hello
I tried multiple searches but unable to find a solution to my problem. My Disting MK 3 is currently not working. All 8 lights stay on and nothing happens when I press either of the encoders. It feels like it is stuck and unable to get out of whatever mode it is in. The only thing that responds on the module is when I turn the Z knob, the Z port will change from blue to red. When I power the module on it goes through a boot up light show but once booted up it goes to the mode described above. I tried 2 different cases with the same results, only thing I didn’t try yet was a different ribbon cable. Module used to work.
I haven’t contacted Expert Sleepers yet, thought I would ask here first, hopefully I’m just doing something stupid.
Thanks for any help you may provide
os
If all 8 LEDs are flashing very rapidly (which may appear as if they're all just on all the time), then that's a hardware failure. Contact me if you want to talk about a repair.
Innerself2007
os wrote:
If all 8 LEDs are flashing very rapidly (which may appear as if they're all just on all the time), then that's a hardware failure. Contact me if you want to talk about a repair.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Ok I will contact you about the repair
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1