MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter power supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Plumbutter power supply
studiokpg
I'm sorry, as I know this must have been asked and answered here, but as the search function has been down for a while now, I feel somewhat justified.
I see that the C-L instruments need a 2.1mm 12v dc supply, tip positive. The thing I'm not clear on is the type - is it a common barrel connector or the less common male t-s jack (like a 1/8" euro cable)? "Tip" makes it sound like the latter, but 2.1mm seems too small for that kind of connector. If it was a barrel connector I would expect it to say "center positive". I want to order it before I get my PB, but want to be sure I get the right kind. hmmm.....
mrbloor
barrel connector, similar to a standard guitar pedal only 12v and centre positive.
JamieH
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004K8ZMJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o 01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this the right for PB2 ?
mrbloor
JamieH wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004K8ZMJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o 01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can't tell, I have used these with all Ciat Lonbarde, no issues.

linky link
ClausF
JamieH wrote:

Maybe I have not read everything, but this is the "spec"

12v 500ma Power Adapter for CCTV cameras
Work with standard connection Spy Cams
UK Power socket adapter DC adapter
Lightweight and efficient design

It does not say, if plus or minus is on the outside of the connector. That information is essential. Maybe you should try it in a music store...
studiokpg
Thanks guys! w00t
studiokpg
Here's the one I'm going to order from Amazon US:
http://amzn.com/B000VRL632
JamieH
mrbloor wrote:
JamieH wrote:

linky link

Thanks
JamieH
JamieH wrote:
mrbloor wrote:
JamieH wrote:

linky link

Thanks

This works spot on with my PB2.

Just ordered a Cocoquantus2 and presume it will also work for that, ordered another psu today.
wednesdayayay
hey guys I'm having some trouble and just sent and email to peter but thought I'd post most of it here too and see if anyone else has an idea

I bought the power supply linked above and have been having some trouble with my plumbutter

when I plug in the plumbutter it powers on just fine but when I plug a cord into a gongs green input the gong just happily plays along without anything connected to the other end of the cable. also when holding the cable it triggers differently than just letting it hang

if I plug the cable into a roll like normal it doesn't respond consistently to the pace. sometimes it will trigger twice during one LED lighting (on and off beat) and sometimes it only triggers once (which I always thought was normal)

avdogs seem normal but I didn't test too much as I couldn't get past not being able to properly use the gongs

the ultrasound is mighty noisy especially when holding the cable

this leads me to believe something is wrong with these power supplies

If i plug in my old big power supply I've used since I had a plumbutter 1 it works as normal gongs trigger like little soldiers

I've tried the same new power supply (that doesn't work correctly with the PB) with my coco and it seems to work normally which makes me even more confused but then again it may just be harder to tell and I haven't tested everything on the coco yet because I don't want to keep using these supplies if it is going to mess up these instruments

any help would be greatly appreciated

I've only just gotten some time to finally play after all summer with these instruments and now the new power supplies I got don't seem to work right and I'm just not going to risk messing these things up until I get some help
wednesdayayay
wellp I'm just gonna try buying another power supply I suppose hmmm.....
xahdrez
I've got one similar spec to the one linked above (over-priced one from Maplin but looks like identical spec and design) and it works fine on plumbutter 2. I bought a similar one off eBay and it made my roll-5 go really strange, so I never risked using it with plumbutter and bought another one of the Maplin ones to be on the safe side. I have no idea what the difference is, but can give you the part no. of the Maplin one if that's helpful?
wednesdayayay
that would be awesome
I just don't want huge wall warts anymore and this got me spooked eek!
xahdrez
I have two of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-500ma-acdc-power-supply-n93ju

Reference is just N93JU - I use one to power plumbutter 2 and 1 (with daisy chain adaptor) to power rollz-5 and Tetrax together.

They're a bit pricey at £9.99, but when I had no joy with a different one I figured it was worth paying a bit more to know it would work!
kozepz
Spent some money on good adapters, it's probably only 1% of the budget spent.
wednesdayayay
the one on the left is the one that works correctly and the one on the right seems so wonky
they seems like different barrel connectors could the issue be as simple as that??
I would happily spend good money on a supply but the UK store in't ideal as I'm in the states and it seems like there should be something available here
all the 10$ supplies on amazon just seem suspect

any ideas?
mrbloor
Wednesdayayay, the left is the correct connector and probably why the right one is wonky. I have replaced connectors before by gently opening up the sealed plug with the wires attached so that I could check which wire was connected to tip, the wiring up a correct 2.1mm barrel.
The cctv supply looks suitable but you'd need to replace the connector, it would save you a few quid.
Uk ones would be no good as we have proper 3 pin plugs hihi
chorus7
I use one from Yamaha found in the home piano side of my local music store... I'll grab the model number tonight in the studio and post it up... There are two different ones one with 1000ma and another with 1500ma... Both work beautifully...
Delphino
My pb2 is finicky about its power source, or at least it truly did not like my first two attempts. I now use the powersupply from an apple airport extreme and she sings beautifully with that one:)
wednesdayayay
I've an old airport express tucked away somewhere I may be able to salvage a supply from if it looks proper

I found the old supply I was using other than my variable big clunker and it works just fine still

it has to be the barrel plugs on the CCTV supplies so I'll go to my local thrift tomorrow if I have time to find some extra barrels

hyper

on another note has anyone had success using the power supply daisy chain cables to use one big supply to power several CL devices?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMZ1P3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie= UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKU6PB9W05OXH
something like that perhaps
xahdrez
wednesdayayay wrote:
on another note has anyone had success using the power supply daisy chain cables to use one big supply to power several CL devices?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMZ1P3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie= UTF8&psc=1&smid=AKU6PB9W05OXH
something like that perhaps

Yes, think I mentioned above - this is the type of thing I use to power rollz-5 and Tetrax together, not tried powering 3 devices off the one supply though.
wednesdayayay
for the moment I have just the PB and CQ

from the ciat site it says
"Most instruments need no more than 300ma, Tetrazzi needs no more than 100ma. "

so hypothetically if a power supply had 800ma available that should be enough for the CQ and PB with a little extra headroom or should more (headroom) be provided for optimal powering?

I think the one I have that I used to use just for the PB is 700ma and that seems like I might be cutting it close but then again I have no idea woah

I'll order a daisy chain cord for the supply and report back
mrbloor
I tend to daisy chain all my gear 2x PB, 1xCQ, tet, Sid & rolls off 1 supply at home 3000amps, no issues. I've had a few problems lately with the PB's and getting the MWRS to play nice. I'm going back to single supplies for the PB, never had issues before.
wednesdayayay
hey guys just went to the local thrift
and found a 15v center positive supply and a 9v center positive supply

I'm planning on replacing the barrel connectors on the CCTV supplies I bought from amazon and that should fix me up

my question is does anyone know if the 15v supply would be ok to use with either the plumbutter or the cocoquantus?
if not I'll just strip off the connector no big deal
thanks

my new desktop voltage memory banana version should be here shortly! wooo
wednesdayayay
I didn't end up using those supplies I've still got them

I remembered I had an old airport express wireless station that stopped working a couple years back but it was the hardware rather than the power supply
which lead me to look for where I had stored it (for proper disposal....eventually...) I found it and it looks to be a 1amp 12v center positive cable

I tried it with the plumbutter and it works just great then I used a daisy chain cable to power the cocoquantus as well and it worked I still need to try it with my new Voltage memory but I can't imagine it wouldn't have enough power for that too Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2