MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer A182-1 Switched mult
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Doepfer A182-1 Switched mult
jasev
I was looking at getting a Doepfer A182-1 Switched mult. I understand what a mult does. But got a bit confused when reading the Doepfer page for this module.

I thought that you could have the signal thats plugged into the module on (say switched to the left 1), have it turned off off (in the middle off) or have it take the signal from the internal A100 bus(switched to the right 2)

Can anyone confirm if you can do this as the Doepfer web page has the following description as the last sentence says its not referring to the A100 bus.

Which bus is it referring to then?? Cheers Jase

[/quote]

[Module A-182-1 is a simple passive multi-connector similar to the multiples modules A-180-1/A-180-2. In contrast to modules A-180-1/2 each socket is equipped with a 3-position switch that allows to connect the corresponding socket to the internal bus #1 (left position), bus #2 (right position) or to turn the socket off (center position).

Examples:

all switches in left position or all switches in right position: 8-fold multiple

four switches in left position and four switches in right position: two 4-fold multiple

X switches in left position, Y switches in right position and Z switches in center position: two separate multiples with some sockets turned off

Remark: The term "bus" in the module description has nothing to do with the A-100 bus.]
mskala
It means the bus inside the module. The module has two busses inside it. Each socket can be switched to one bus inside the module, the other bus inside the module, or disconnected. There is no connection between this module and any other modules unless you create one with patch cords or by modifying the module. It doesn't connect to the A-100 bus.
jasev
Thanks for the explanation mskala

So bus 1 would be sockets 1-4 and bus 2 sockets 5-8??

That right??

Cheers Jase
flo
No. Bus 1 is all switches that are to the left and bus 2 is all switches to the right. You decide yourself.

Make sure you only connect to one output per bus! I personally always use the last two plugs for output 1 and 2 (with the switches in the respective position, of course); That way, I never forget where the outs are and am less inclined to short them together (throwing around the switches). Only use the switch at the output socket to disconnect ("mute" the output), and use the switches at the input sockets to route between the buses.

Edit for spelling and a bit of additional info
mskala
jasev wrote:
Thanks for the explanation mskala

So bus 1 would be sockets 1-4 and bus 2 sockets 5-8??

That right??

That's one setting you can choose with the switches, but there are other choices too.

For every socket, there's a switch. Flip it to the left to put that socket on bus 1; to the right to put it on bus 2; or move it to the middle to have it not connected to a bus at all.
FatBob
flo wrote:
Make sure you only connect to one output per bus!

Shouldn't that be input?
If you only have one output, isn't that going to negate it's use as a multiple.... smile
flo
FatBob wrote:
flo wrote:
Make sure you only connect to one output per bus!

Shouldn't that be input?
If you only have one output, isn't that going to negate it's use as a multiple.... smile

Uhm, yeah. My whole terminology is switched in that post... Sorry. Look at it as "inputs and outputs from and to the multiple" and it'll be correct again. thumbs up hihi
jasev
Spot on guys. I got it.

Cheers jase
chess1
I had an interesting "effect" today. I patched a gate out from the varigate four into the 182-2 and routed that in to Ornament and Crime as well as the channel four input of a make noise maths. When I then adjusted the rise and fall of the Maths I got a cycling feedback into the Ornament and Crime.

Am I wrong to believe that the channel four input of Maths is just an input ?
flo
Yes. When cycling, the inputs of channels 1 + 4 of Maths send out a square wave at the frequency of the cycling function generators. You were passively mixing these two sources into the O+C.
Navs
My original Maths, Envelator and Toppo/Buchla 281 do this too. My Bananalogue VCS doesn't but if I simulate the input/cycle circuitry, it does.

(top of the schematic here: https://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs75_vcs.html )

I still don't think it's ok, though. There must be a way of protecting the input from becoming an output. hmmm.....
kanstraktar
am I right thinking that the way to patch this would be two inputs into 1 & 2 and outputs from 3-8? what other ways can it be patched? what I mainly want is to have some gate signals going to different drums/envelopes and being able to switch them on and off.
mskala
kanstraktar wrote:
am I right thinking that the way to patch this would be two inputs into 1 & 2 and outputs from 3-8? what other ways can it be patched? what I mainly want is to have some gate signals going to different drums/envelopes and being able to switch them on and off.

It's like two passive multiples. For each jack socket, you can choose which one of the two multiples the socket is connected to, or have it unconnected.

So, yes, one thing you could do would be have socket 1 on bus 1, socket 2 on bus 2, plug one gate signal into each of those, and then plug the other sockets into the inputs of your drums. Flipping the switch for a drum will then connect it to gate signal 1, 2, or nothing.

But a different way to patch it would be with more than two gates (or other signal outputs) plugged into different sockets, and then using the switches to select at most two of them to be routed to whatever else.
cptnal
kanstraktar wrote:

There are a couple of videos on Y'tube that might help. Steevio has one about his track, Primes, where he uses switched mults for just that. Mylar Melodies also did one about his performance rack and takes the concept a bit further.

At work right now so I can't provide the exact links. Shouldn't be too difficult to track down though.
JohnLRice
FWIW I recently modified both my Doepfer A-180-2 and A-182-1 modules to combine them into one unit. I cut all the tip traces on the A-180-2 so it's just a panel of 8 isolated jacks and I cut some of the tip traces on the A-182-1 so now it's 4 isolated groups of 2 jacks and two switches each.

So in general the jacks on the A-180-2 are inputs for the grouped outputs of the A-182-1. (and of course it could be used in the opposite direction or half and half etc)

Below is an image of the critical parts I wanted to use this for. The gate outputs of two different quad gate sources (Instruro QPQ and Erica Synths Trig) routed to two quad envelope generators (Intellijel Quadra and Modcan Quad Envelope) which are controlling four voices worth of filters and VCAs. I could have just used a couple standard mults for one set of gate sources but besides just getting everything patched up, with this setup I can have two gate sources to choose from and well and mixing/matching and turning voices partially or completely off.

jasev
JohnLRice wrote:
FWIW I recently modified both my Doepfer A-180-2 and A-182-1 modules to combine them into one unit. I cut all the tip traces on the A-180-2 so it's just a panel of 8 isolated jacks and I cut some of the tip traces on the A-182-1 so now it's 4 isolated groups of 2 jacks and two switches each.

So in general the jacks on the A-180-2 are inputs for the grouped outputs of the A-182-1. (and of course it could be used in the opposite direction or half and half etc)

Below is an image of the critical parts I wanted to use this for. The gate outputs of two different quad gate sources (Instruro QPQ and Erica Synths Trig) routed to two quad envelope generators (Intellijel Quadra and Modcan Quad Envelope) which are controlling four voices worth of filters and VCAs. I could have just used a couple standard mults for one set of gate sources but besides just getting everything patched up, with this setup I can have two gate sources to choose from and well and mixing/matching and turning voices partially or completely off.

Nice mod. I might have a dabble
krazh
JohnLRice wrote:

brilliant idea, nice mod.
JohnLRice
Thanks jasev and krazh cool
Paranormal Patroler
Sell the idea to Doepfer already! hihi
JohnLRice
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sell the idea to Doepfer already! hihi
thumbs up I think if they just modified all of the inter-jack connections on both modules to be done with jumpers, end users could just change the groupings as needed and/or interconnect one or more modules with small cables.
pmboos
So I am trying to learn a bit more about this... I'm mostly into semi-modular and my primary sequencers are an Orb and an SQ-1. I'm looking to get a second SQ-1 and may also invest in something more advanced like a Generator down the road.

I'd like to be able to switch which sequencer plays which synth so perhaps moving between two different bass sounds at times with one sequence. Or the flipside have two different sequences that I want to play one sound with...

My understanding is these are good for gates (or audio or I guess clocks as well) and you would need a buffered one for CV. So if you wanted to switch between say 2 sequencer tracks that are playing something melodic you'd need to connect 1 of each of these right? And you'd need to switch them simultaneously? (I guess you don't have to... It's just the gates (envelope) would no longer trigger with the pitch.)

Am I understanding this correctly? Trying to mentally grasp what kind of utilities I'd need to do what I am thinking...

Thanks in advance!
Paul
JohnLRice
pmboos wrote:
I'd like to be able to switch which sequencer plays which synth so perhaps moving between two different bass sounds at times with one sequence. Or the flipside have two different sequences that I want to play one sound with...

My understanding is these are good for gates (or audio or I guess clocks as well) and you would need a buffered one for CV. So if you wanted to switch between say 2 sequencer tracks that are playing something melodic you'd need to connect 1 of each of these right? And you'd need to switch them simultaneously? (I guess you don't have to... It's just the gates (envelope) would no longer trigger with the pitch.)
Hi Paul,
There are a few ways to do what you want, either with manual A/B type switches or automated with CV or gate controlled sequential switches etc. And you probably don't need a buffered mult for splitting CV to only two or three destinations but of course it wont hurt.

I could probably ramble on about this and spend an hour typing up a reply but I took a quick look on https://www.modulargrid.net/ and saw a switch that might work well for you? The Switch by DPW Design is 4 bidirectional A/B switches that can be switched manually or by CV and also switched in pairs. I've never used this module or any products from DPW so please do some additional research before you buy one. It looks really handy though and now I want one! d'oh! hihi Here's the manual:
http://dpw.se/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/MAN-SW-1_B.pdf
pmboos
John, thanks for taking the time - the idea of it working in pairs is exactly what would interest me. I'm thinking as I start moving to actual modules, I'll start with utilities and this seems the first type of thing that would be of use! Having a few 'playable/tweakable' sequencers already and being able to change the routing seems like a no-brainer.

I'm to read up more on this... Thanks again!

Cheers,
Paul
JohnLRice
pmboos wrote:
I'm to read up more on this...
There are many options to consider and the "best one" might not become obvious until you try a few and might change over time as you learn new things etc. Make sure to consider sequential switches, which come in a wide range of features. A basic but excellent one is the Doepfer A-151 v2, which you would need two of to do what you want and then you'd use a mult to run them in parallel. To automatically switch at a certain time you also might want a good clock divider, so that after 8, 16, 64, or what ever amount of normal clock pulses it would switch automatically.

And at the other end of the spectrum is the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix (SSM) with Expander that is extremely powerful!
Virusinstaller
Definitely a mixture of sequential switches.
But switched mults are also handy to use a mult/mutes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2