MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-1 Need help getting set up fast.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FH-1 Need help getting set up fast.
CliffordMilk
Hello,

I'm awaiting the arrival of a new FH-1. I'm buying it to replace another sub midi host, which I've managed to fry. The problem is, I'll have about an hour to set it up before an expensive studio session. Can anyone please help me by telling me the steps to setup as follows:

1 x Note CV MIDI channel 1
1 x gate MIDI channel 1
1 x Note CV MIDI channel 2
1 x gate MIDI channel 2
Clock out (to Pamela's Workout)
Start/stop out (to Pam again)

And that's it for now. I use an Octatrack as my sequencer and I know the sub midi cable I have works with the FH-1.

I'd really appreciate it if someone there could help get me up and running. I simply don't have any time to wade through the documentation beforehand.

Thanks
os
The two CV/gate pairs are the default behaviours on MIDI channel 1 & 2 so you're OK there.

If you want the clock to be automatically generated from MIDI clock, use a tempo locked square LFO. E.g. for output 5

channel 5 CC 100 value 127 (for a square LFO)
channel 3 CC 68 value 64 (for synced speed)

values either side of 64 for different clock multiples.

For run/stop it's a special purpose output e.g. for output 6

channel 1 CC 101 value 1
CliffordMilk
Marvellous - thank you so much.
CliffordMilk
Sorry - another question.

I use two dual oscillators to create two distinct voices in my modular. How could I use the FH-1 to get the following:

2 X note CV on MIDI Channel 1
1 X Gate on MIDI Channel 1
2 X Note CV on MIDI Channel 2
1 X Gate CV on MIDI Channel 2

Plus clock and start stop.

Is this possible without using multiples?

All the best

Oli
os
There's no way to tell the FH-1 to duplicate a signal over two outputs.

You could configure extra MIDI/CV converters to provide those signals, and duplicate your MIDI on two channels.
CliffordMilk
Thanks. Actually, I seem to be getting no response at all to incoming MIDI. I have installed the latest firmware and reset the module (H -8) but 1 through 8 remain blue when a signal is sent. I'm using the Tetrasonic cable which I've tested with other gear. It doesn't matter whether I send the MIDI message from my Octatrack or from Ableton Live.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
os
Does either of the 'USB' LEDs light when you plug in the device, and/or send MIDI?
CliffordMilk
No - Nothing.

It seemed as if I was able to update the firmware but the USB lights only lit as part of the boot sequence.
os
What are you plugging into it exactly?
CliffordMilk
One of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/terrasoniq_midi_one.htm

From the Octatrack MIDI out.

I also tried the same cable from the MIDI out my regular sound card.
os
Those do work with the FH-1 - I have one myself.

Does it work at all e.g. with your computer?
CliffordMilk
Same thing. No USB lights. All the outs remain blue and nothing moves.
os
I mean, can you use that lead to send from your computer to, say, the Octatrak.
CliffordMilk
Ah - I think we're getting there. I hooked it up via an iconnectivity2 and it receives MIDI but not via the Terrasonic. I think that cable is busted and the module is fine. Thanks for your help!
redsa
Hey there, it seems there is the answer to my question in this thread but I can't quite understand it.

I would like to sync my DAW to my rig by sending a midi clock from the DAW into the FH-1 and a clock output from the FH-1 to other modules (e.g. PEG).

The FH-1 seems to be receiving the MIDI clock from the DAW via iConnectMIDI2+ (the red and blue LEDs descend through the numbers in time with click of the DAW). But I'm not sure I understand how to get the clock its receiving to output from one of the CV outputs.

I'm assuming it's the bit where you say...

Quote:
If you want the clock to be automatically generated from MIDI clock, use a tempo locked square LFO. E.g. for output 5

But I'm not quite sure how I implement this. If someone could do some baby steps for me and break it down a little further that would be v helpful.

Apologies for being a bit slow but I have this module as a recommendation so am not fully up to speed on how it works.

Cheers!
os
The essential thing to know about the FH-1 is that it's "programmed" by sending it CC messages to configure its various features.

So when I say
Quote:

I mean you have to send that CC to the FH-1. From where doesn't matter. In your case, it would be from your DAW, probably. How you generate that CC message is entirely up to you. (In Live, for example, you could just draw it into a clip.)

You can also achieve the same results by writing the same CC messages into the FH-1's startup script, but that would probably be considered advanced usage if you're just getting to grips with it.
redsa
os wrote:
The essential thing to know about the FH-1 is that it's "programmed" by sending it CC messages to configure its various features.

So when I say
Quote:

I mean you have to send that CC to the FH-1. From where doesn't matter. In your case, it would be from your DAW, probably. How you generate that CC message is entirely up to you. (In Live, for example, you could just draw it into a clip.)

You can also achieve the same results by writing the same CC messages into the FH-1's startup script, but that would probably be considered advanced usage if you're just getting to grips with it.

Thanks for the quick response. I understand what you mean now.

Re the startup script - so I could potentially have it so output 8 (for example) always starts as a clock signal when the module is powered up?

Would be great for pointers to how to do this as that is one of the main things I will do with this module.
os
Quote:
Re the startup script - so I could potentially have it so output 8 (for example) always starts as a clock signal when the module is powered up?

Yes. You could also do that by
- setting up the clock as above
- storing that state as a preset (from the menus)
- setting that preset as the default startup preset (again from the menus).
redsa
os wrote:
Quote:

Yes. You could also do that by
- setting up the clock as above
- storing that state as a preset (from the menus)
- setting that preset as the default startup preset (again from the menus).

Great!

How would I set it up for output 8 to be the clock output? Is that by send the cc message from channel 8? This is probably in the manual, which I will consult again but as you're here smile
ntkrw
os wrote:

Hi @os,

My purpose is real simple but after certain amount of time on the manual and forums, I still cannot get the job done.

I want my FH-1 to receive MIDI clock from USB, and output a MIDI clock synced square LFO from the FH-1 Output 5.

My current setup is a FH-1 (fader 0) with one extra FHX-1 (fader 1)

I use my Pyramid to send a CC 100 value 127 on MIDI channel 5 and CC 68 value 64 on MIDI channel 3 at the same time from the Pyramid, the setting on the Pyramid is correct and I monitor the process on its build in monitoring 'event log'. And I turn on the Pyramid to send the MIDI clock, to this moment 3 of above data are keep sending.

The Output 5 on FH-1 is blinking, but strangely the jack LED is blinking in blue and unlit. the blinking time is sync with the external MIDI clock from Pryamid (have varied the bpm and conform it is tracking). However, the Output 5 has no effect (even it's blinking) at all.

Any things I was missing? Thank you!
ntkrw
Forgot to mention, once I turned on the MIDI clock send from Pyramid, the A-H/1-8 was running (like a step sequencer), and as mentioned the jack LED from Output 5 was blinking.

Further detail on the blinking output 5, I measure its voltage amplitude by using the Pyramid, it shown nothing (0V).
os
Quote:
the jack LED is blinking in blue and unlit

You need to use channel 1 CC 4 to offset the LFO back up into the positive range.
ladalt
Hello!

Hope someone could help me out here.

I've been also trying to set one of the outputs of the FH-1 to send clock to a Rainmaker.

Set up is Ableton + iconnect. So far I've been able to get to work fine the faders (midicc0-7) but can't seem to find a way to have one of the outputs send clock signal, already tried 64-71 ch:3 (from what I understood in the chart) no luck, any leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks
os
To get a clock you need to set the LFO level (typically use the square shape, ch5 CC 96-103) and the LFO speed to a clocked value (ch3 CC 64-71 as you say).
Luddite
Sorry to hijack the thread but I couldn't find another more relevant thread where I should turn for help.

When we send CC messages from an envelope in the computer to the module via USB, do we experience "stepping" or is it smooth?

I am wondering if it is possible to route an envelope or LFO from Max for Live to the FH-1 and accurately represent it in CV form. Before you reply, I am aware that it can generate its own LFO but prefer to work with what I know.

Many thanks in advance!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2